Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,778 members, 7,806,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student (32309 Views)

Ejim Chinazom Judith Graduates As A Medical Doctor In A Wheelchair In Enugu / Advise A Medical Aspirant! / Esther Adaobi Azom Gets Car From Ooni Of Ife As Best Graduating Medical Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Mbediogu(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2019
BalogunIdowu:

Hello peeps! I hope we are all doing great at the moment. Once again happy 2019, blessings ahead. I bring to you another interesting article, this time it is the popular opinion that people have about being a medical student which are however not totally true. This is also applicable to other sister courses like dentistry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, amongst others but I however decided to use "medical" which is what most people are familiar about.

According to Merriam Webster dictionary, it defines fallacy as "a false or mistaken idea". As a  fourth year medical student, I have soon realised that some of these facts opined about being a medical student aren't exactly true.  So I'll be unveiling some of these false thoughts. Are you ready? Relax as you surf through...

FOR THE MOST BRILLIANT: Do you remember back then in secondary school. The most brilliant students are usually believed to be hot cakes for medical or engineering courses. However this post just focuses on medical students. It is believed that the youngsters that loves and performs well in the pure sciences amongst other subjects  are automatically expected to be future doctors (doki Oloye, the funny way a doctor is being called).

However, being in a medical school does not require to be very or the most brilliant as it is used to be thought back in secondary school which most doctors now can ascertain this saying "if you're very brilliant, go and study engineering, mathematics or any other nerdy courses". Medicine requires discipline, dedication, and consistency (DDC) as well as  being humble to lecturers. If any average student observes these, they'll be fine and would easily sail through the tides. One need not to be the best performing or the most brilliant student but requires working hard and smart.

This is to make the good performing students not to be over confident, and the struggling ones not to lose hope! Remember the saying, what is worth doing, is worth doing well.

LACK OTHER SKILLS: well, I'd say basically because of the name of this course or the accolades those studying it receives which kind of turned norm especially at this part of the world. Some people think that medical students have dexterity only in just reading, reading and continuous reading! Whoops! Well maybe in retrospect it can be true but now I can categorically tell that lots of medical students have created several niches for themselves apart from the course they are studying which they are known for within the school and to some extent outside as well

From various entrepreneurship skills and I'll site few examples from my institution, Lagos State College of Medicine (LASUCOM): Liasu-Thomas Habeebah into clothings "peach and prim wears", Agoro Fawziyyah into Zobo drink making and delicious bean (agoyin) "Al Fawzan ventures", Osusanmi Olugbemi (theOlugbemi on IG) and Babalola jesudara are fashionistas, Odukoya Tolani (otbglobe.com) and myself a blogger, Shobowale Iyanu who gives fellow colleagues nice hair cut "Dr Sho's Dynamic cutz", Sanni Abdulmatin a programmer, Tijani Taiwo a distinguished Toastmaster along others which includes writers and master of ceremonies like myself, musicians and spoken words artiste, fashion designers, business moguls, photographers, graphics designers, and lots more.

So there is need for a different perspective about considering some assignments being done. There exists pool of qualified and upcoming skills amongst medical students alongside the training for their profession.

ARE ALL WELL TO DO: yeah! It is exactly what it means. Other students used and still opines that most if not all of medical students are financially pivoted. They have high standard of living, are on scholarships amongst others. No doubt, some may be provided with exquisite hostels among other basic facilities but however, those are not in itself a justification for their way of life.

Some struggle just like every other students sometimes doing some extra things to support themselves. No regular allowance from parents/relatives, some may not be on scholarship or have much support. Studying medicine is not a license for someone's guidian to be automatically rich, however some of the students may want to live up to the hype of the course and that is a personal choice.

ARE JUST BOOKWORMS: This is sort of similar to the former but in another dimension. No doubt every student studying this course knows what they are in for. Book, book and yet books but wait, they don't just read 24/7 a year except they want to crash out soon. They have fun and I must confess fun in medical school is like no other, kindly ask some of your friends studying the course. Students go to movie houses, visit fun filled centres, attends events that'll improve them in other aspects aside their profession, do sporting activities, visit beaches amongst other places of exhilarating experiences and when it comes to being bookworm that they are, you'll wonder who forced them into studying the course. Proper timing and planning are key to enjoying all this "doing the right thing at the right time". So stop getting this mixed feeling of thinking what we do only is read, read and continuous reading alone! You don't want to dare!

JUST TO HELP HUMANITY: just like every other courses, lecturers ask medical students "why do you study this course?" Well, some say honestly they are in for this course to help people but for many others, it is to make dough especially the men whom to help people is the a later reason. But severally, some of us have been disappointed with comments from lecturers such as "if you want to be a millionaire, this is not the right course for you" and things like that. Well, I think even if there may be right to an extent from their perspective, it really doesn't matter being a doctor and wanting to be millionaire or more with the various diversities the discipline can fit into today's world.

Of course even if helping humanity is important, helping oneself first is even more important (importanter) and the outside world do not see or know this. They believe, once you're a doctor, one is on top of the game which is not always so at least from few experiences.

Well I do hope this goes a mile about redirecting our thoughts about this sets of students'.
Thanks and do stay alert for the next post on FIVE THINGS...

https://balogunidowu./2019/01/07/five-fallacies-about-being-a-medical-student/

BALOGUN IDOWU ISMAHEEL
IndigenousGenius
400L, medical students

Fourth year means u have passed the 2nd MBA bottle neck preparatory to 3rd MB Pharmacology & Pathology. Take nothing for granted until you have passed your 5th MB.
There are surprises sometimes. That profession remains what it has been no matter the degree of rot in Nigerian universities.

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by josiegirl27: 9:36pm On Jan 08, 2019
BalogunIdowu:

It's your disposition about them all the while!
spotted
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2019
freshdude99:

Same applies to every course biko, my field is even more isolating...
I really doubt. Medicine is one hell of a stressful course. Take it or leave it. If you don't know, you won't know!
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by peteruuu(m): 10:04pm On Jan 08, 2019
Olami90:

oops!!!
You didn't mention this the other time.
This is heart breaking.

What school choices have you been picking?

I'm in kwara state, so I've been choosing UNILORIN, I think I'll have to think 99 times before filling my JAMB form this year.

I'll get there when I get there.

May God forbid depression.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by peteruuu(m): 10:06pm On Jan 08, 2019
kenedy175:

I really doubt. Medicine is one hell of a stressful course. Take it or leave it. If you don't know, you won't know!

It's not as "STRESSFUL" as you think bro.

Once you can read and read and read till you can still read even while reading smiley , and with God by your side, you're good to go!

1 Like

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by tzoracle: 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2019
1Ronaldo:
True Op
My friends in secondary that went on to read medicine wasn't even among the top ten in school then.
Niggur used expo to get high scores in jamb and post ume.. His name came out 1st on list.
We thought niggur was going to fail out of med school oh, lol, he hasn't yet...
I think he should be in his finals now or is already done..

About other things mentioned, I think medical students are just like every other normal student in the university..I wonder why girls d like them too much

security
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by tzoracle: 10:14pm On Jan 08, 2019
fk001:

You see the type of ego that guy you quoted was talking about? Your No. 6

Why respect only Vet and Engineering students?

Are the other courses inferior?

If you think Engineering is 5 years that's why you respect the course then what about Agriculture, Law and other 5 years courses?

Engineering no be here, specially EEE
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 08, 2019
theoldpretender:

1.Most medical students I knew never wore glasses....and still don't.

2.ITK....well, so did other students in my experience.

3.During my day, work dey , no time for forming.

4.I doubt I hung a stethoscope in my car ever...

5. Many medicos I knew did not marry fellow doctors....plus what's wrong with doctor marrying doctor. Who else would understand your hustle/struggle?

6. Look down on other students? Me wey dey respect Veterinarians and Engineers well well....

7. Is somebody feeling a bit too...inferior?

I am an OAP. Atleast in my state if residence I'm almost an household name. Inferiority complex or simplex whatever is a million miles off my path. I just stated the sentiments of many and that's it
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by MJmoz1: 10:37pm On Jan 08, 2019
Creddled

WE HAVE NEW ARRIVALS!!!!

Wedding Rings �����

ENGAGEMENT Rings �������❤❤❤

PROPOSAL Rings �����������

ORDER NOW whatsapp us 08067381326

www.moorejewelrymall.com.ng

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Olami90: 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2019
peteruuu:

I'm in kwara state, so I've been choosing UNILORIN, I think I'll have to think 99 times before filling my JAMB form this year.

May God forbid depression.

I sent you pm.
kindly check. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 11:01pm On Jan 08, 2019
peteruuu:

It's not as "STRESSFUL" as you think bro.

Once you can read and read and read till you can still read even while reading smiley , and with God by your side, you're good to go!

Lol... when i was in school back then, i used to ask myself "who sent me to study mbbs?"..

Well, we thank God for everything

2 Likes

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by peteruuu(m): 11:04pm On Jan 08, 2019
kenedy175:

Lol... when i was in school back then, i used to ask myself "who sent me to study mbbs?"..

Well, we thank God for everything

Thank God for you bro.

I'm just 'going in'.

Say a prayer for me.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by peteruuu(m): 11:05pm On Jan 08, 2019
Olami90:

I sent you pm.
kindly check. Thanks

Okay.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 11:18pm On Jan 08, 2019
peteruuu:

Thank God for you bro.

I'm just 'going in'.

Say a prayer for me.
Wow!! All the best. People have done it, you'll also do it. Just remain steadfast and hardworking. Program yourself. What works for other people might not work for you. Just know how to do your thing and you'll succeed

3 Likes

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by AreaFada2: 11:27pm On Jan 08, 2019
Partly or rather mostly true.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Adesuntim95(m): 12:53am On Jan 09, 2019
And native doctors, too.. them get pride no be small
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by diamondy: 5:12am On Jan 09, 2019
Lol
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by diamondy: 5:13am On Jan 09, 2019
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by diamondy: 5:14am On Jan 09, 2019
You are high i swear grin grin grin
Adesuntim95:
And native doctors, too.. them get pride no be small
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by DedeNkem: 5:39am On Jan 09, 2019
Nigeria is filled with quack doctors! Nigerian hospitals are death traps!
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Erums(m): 6:26am On Jan 09, 2019
PurplePatch:
They like to wear glasses, form ITK, form for fellow guys, hang stethoscope inside their cars even keke, form too gentle, date and marry fellow medical students, look down on students doing other courses, and finally usually form too important to people around them when they finally become doctors.

My people I lie?

Guy u too correct.. Naso one idiot dey do for nysc dat time
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by freshdude99(m): 6:55am On Jan 09, 2019
kenedy175:

Oga shift abeg, my wife is a medical doctor so btw me and you who suppose know eh?
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Faraidi(m): 7:07am On Jan 09, 2019
PurplePatch:
They like to wear glasses, form ITK, form for fellow guys, hang stethoscope inside their cars even keke, form too gentle, date and marry fellow medical students, look down on students doing other courses, and finally usually form too important to people around them when they finally become doctors.

My people I lie?
You are right. But all are just empty pride. Some of them are very poor. They always beg for financial support codedly

1 Like

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Faraidi(m): 7:16am On Jan 09, 2019
melanch:
Wanted to marry a medical doctor but love didn't allow me. I ended up marrying a 'heart' doctor.

Google respect quality seo backlinks. Have yours today.
good morning. Please enlighten me about SEO
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 7:54am On Jan 09, 2019
freshdude99:

Oga shift abeg, my wife is a medical doctor so btw me and you who suppose know eh?
Sorry sir!! Your wife is a medical doctor. Is she practicing?? Is she running her residency program?
were you with her while she was a medical student?

I don't know why you're so pissed. But they say "No one knows where the shoe pinches, but he who wears it.". So if you don't know, you'll never know

5 Likes

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Divay22(f): 7:58am On Jan 09, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Uhn?? Your reason?? smiley
It's either you're pilot, your wife is going to be one or at least one among your kids is gonna be a pilot.
So which one?
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:12am On Jan 09, 2019
Divay22:

It's either you're pilot, your wife is going to be one or at least one among your kids is gonna be a pilot.
So which one?
One of them is gonna happen...Figure it out yourself . smileysmiley
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by peteruuu(m): 8:45am On Jan 09, 2019
kenedy175:

Wow!! All the best. People have done it, you'll also do it. Just remain steadfast and hardworking. Program yourself. What works for other people might not work for you. Just know how to do your thing and you'll succeed

Amen. Thank you sir.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by melanch(m): 9:04am On Jan 09, 2019
Faraidi:
good morning. Please enlighten me about SEO

Can you contact me on via the number on my signature. I will be glad to help.
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Divay22(f): 9:21am On Jan 09, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
One of them is gonna happen...Figure it out yourself . smileysmiley
Your kid tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by DanDeeBoss(m): 9:33am On Jan 09, 2019
Divay22:

Your kid tongue
What makes you think I can't be the one?? cheesycheesy
Re: Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student by Divay22(f): 9:38am On Jan 09, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
What makes you think I can't be the one?? cheesycheesy
I don't know.
But i don't just believe it's you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Awin International Schools, Uyo: Sexual Abuse Rocks Akwa Ibom School / 2015/2016 UNIZIK Admission On Official JAMB Cut Off Mark And Departmental Marks / Almajiri Brutally Flogged In Kano For Too Much Roaming Around (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.