Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada (39675 Views)

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria / Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria / Why You Should Do Your Postgraduate Programme In UNN (1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Chriswazo(m): 8:02pm On Jan 09, 2019
Hadampson:

Nigerians are not qualified to apply for WORK PERMIT VISA. If you don't believe me, go to Canadian embassy for more info

Your best bet is EXPRESS ENTRY MIGRATION

Please explain the difference between Express Entry and Work permit visa? Their length of time and conditions
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kristlike: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2019
fineyemi:

Tanks sir for your respond. Am in my finals in the university here in Nigeria. I do check for postgraduates scholarship news on scholarsguru.org. I see lot of scholarships from Sydney and other schools in Canada. I plan to apply into one once I have my result and try my luck. I have nothing to loose. And if provided I win a scholarship, Will getting a visa be easy here in Nigeria provided the scholarship is a fully funded type.
Hey bro. I'm also a final year student in Nigeria university. I've been making research on scholarship too and will like to apply soon. I'll like us to hook up,probably get to know each other more to exchange information. my number is 07032494292. you can WhatsApp me or give me your line to do so.
Thank you!
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kristlike: 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
First of all, I'm no sir grin
I'm also a student like you.

I wanna assure you that getting a visa won't be a problem provided you're accepted by the University, people who get denied probably had one or two issues which the Canadian embassy was not comfortable with.

These are countries that are looking for young educated and skilled minds to come and contribute to their economy. Just get at least a 2.1, write GRE, blast it well, and you definitely get scholarships and grants from various schools you applied to, especially if you fall within the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) field.
Hey bro. you only mention that there's high chance for science inclined base graduate to secure Canada visa than others. what about someone from Accounting and finance but has a high GMAT and high University grades?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by abnot: 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2019
SIRTee15:

Quality of life matters, u can't say it should be ignored just because of money....
In case of dire emergency in naija, that's when u will realise money can't buy life....
As u said u need good wages to live a life of comfort in naija.....
This include good schools, good hospitals, good residential apartments, good cars, foreign travels....
Hospital cleaners in uk travel to Barbados n Malta for holidays, they have their own home, their own cars, ownership of IPhone is not class but choice, if their kids work hard in school they can go to oxford or cambridge, n they don't have to worry about basic needs......
A child not academically gifted can exploit other opportunities according to his talent n make something out of his life.....
If Anthony Joshua had grown up in Nigeria, he would have ended up an agbero......
That to me is a definition of a good quality of life n a functioning society....
99.99% of Nigerians will never earn 658k in a month, neither will they be opportune to embezzle public funds.....
So a good life will forever be a mirage to them.....
Of course, some Nigerians in uk wouldn't mind coming back home if they can secure a 400k per month job....
But how many of such jobs are open for starters or at entry level.....

Its becoming obvious most Nigerians dont really care about this country.....
So long as they can secure their dream job, the rest can go n ****......
No wonder they support the likes buhari n atiku....

Sir I look at this thing from a different perspective.At the time I left nigeria I was from a middle class family that could afford the basics of life and lived in a nice quiet neighbourhood in Abuja/lagos. Studied at a small private uni in USA sharing a room with a Native Jewish American . Each time I visited Abuja during the summer/Christmas i could physically see people around me making progress ( growing in their careers, expanding businesses and more acquisitions for some) . For one or two people you hear bout one challenge or the other but overall people i knew were doing okay in Nigeria. Back in USA the typical Nigerian student was about studying / going through the tedious task of adjusting one’s immigration status after studying / looking for employment sponsors / making do with menial jobs while hoping for better days. I got bored with the country and couldn’t wait to complete my studies and leave. Two months after commencement I moved to U.K. to pursue graduate school and Also remained for one year after graduate school. I saw the aggressive hustle of my fellow Nigerians trying to force friendship on uninterested Brits and the same struggle of earning with the left to spend with the right . Saw some of the Nigerian success stories in England that people talked so much about and said to myself that I’ll do much better than this in africa. One year after completing graduate school I moved to lagos for NYSC and have since been working in naij/Ghana. I believe I am more comfortable than I was in England or east coast America because I have instant access to private Medicare ( part of the benefit offered by my employer) as opposed to the long queues at nhs public Medicare facilities, drive my car which I paid down as opposed to using the metro in ny / monthly auto payment outside downtown nyc , I live 3 miles from my office (15-20mins drive ) as opposed to the 50 mins to 1 hour bus ride I had to seat through in the west, get as much electricity I want from combining public power supply and back up power supply, I have a much stronger network in Africa , able to save a much higher percentage of my earning, still get to take vacations , closer to family building a much wider network across my industry. I derive more satisfaction from this than I did living in two first world countries. For the struggling menial worker in Nigeria I will encourage an economic migration to first world countries but for those doing decently well a migration to USA or Canada needs to be well planned / thought out . Seeking a Canadian or British or American education for the sole purpose of migrating may be counter productive of not properly planned. Nigerians in the west are fond of painting a heaven-like picture of the west which is often not an all-round representation of life in the western world . Canada today has a high tax rate and jobs are difficult to come by except highly skilled roles but the impression I get from nairaland is that their are lots of jobs in Canada looking for candidates to fill up.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kristlike: 11:01pm On Jan 09, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Yes of course
pls I'll like to ask one more question:
I'm planning to apply for masters scholarship in Canada to take the route of industrial master program or course based master program but according to my findings I discover that there's no scholarship for course based master program(that the only way you can finance your program is if it comes with teaching assistance ship),that scholarship is only available for those taking the route of thesis master program.
Now, my question is that I don't know what they mean by "teaching assistance ship", can you throw more light on it? and how do I know if my school of choice has the said " teaching assistance ship". Thank you!
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kristlike: 11:06pm On Jan 09, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Yes of course
]
I'm planning to apply for masters scholarship in Canada to take the route of industrial master program or course based master program but according to my findings I discover that there's no scholarship for course based master program(that the only way you can finance your program is if it comes with teaching assistance ship),that scholarship is only available for those taking the route of thesis master program.
Now, my question is that I don't know what they mean by "teaching assistance ship", can you throw more light on it? and how do I know if my school of choice has the said " teaching assistance ship". Thank you!
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 09, 2019
kristlike:

A simple google search will help you "graduate assistantships for international students in canada"
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 12:02am On Jan 10, 2019
Chriswazo:

Please explain the difference between Express Entry and Work permit visa? Their length of time and conditions

I don't really know much about that boss
The only difference i know of is Express entry is an economic class visa while work permit visa is a temporary residence visa

Express entry can take up to 6 months or more while work permit visa shouldn't be more than 3 months

But you know applying for Canadian visa varies from time to time plus its depend on the individual involved.

You will agree with me that 2 people may apply for visit visa for example but may not be given visa approval at the same time.

So it varies boss

Lest i forget, Express entry migration is the path to permanent resident while work permit visa is temporary residence visa but after living in Canada for some years, you can be a permanent resident.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 12:12am On Jan 10, 2019
fineyemi:
Who will answer me. What if you gain admission into a university in Canada through scholarship for MSc. Will getting a visa easy.

As long as all your documents are real and intact, you are good to go
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 12:18am On Jan 10, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Initially I didn't wanted to comment on this thread at least not until I saw your statement (bold above).

It may interest you to know that Canada is the easiest and most beneficial country to turn to for education.
Better than Germany or whatever country you're advertising.

Which other country in the world will readily grant you a PERMANENT RESIDENCY after your graduation? Coupled with citizenship after 4 years.

Every school in Canada are ready to give you partial or full scholarships provided they see the zeal in you to come over and study and stay behind to further contribute to their economy.

See? You may have your own facts and figures but me and many other Nigerian students see clearly that Canada is our best bet and I will not fold my arms and watch you mislead others.

@chigo4u @androidroot @fineyemi please duly take note.

Canada is only better than Germany in terms of permanent residency they give people and also, Canada allow dual nationality, apart from that, i don't think Canada is better than Germany.

P.S am not arguing with you boss, just stating the fact. Shalom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by TheManOfTheYear: 12:18am On Jan 10, 2019
kristlike:

Hey bro. you only mention that there's high chance for science inclined base graduate to secure Canada visa than others. what about someone from Accounting and finance but has a high GMAT and high University grades?
Yeah you will also be given grants but compared to someone in the STEM field, yours will be lesser.

Have you checked? Most people getting scholarships abroad are from this field.

What I'm saying in summary is that, you will have to merit it to get a scholarship meanwhile someone from the science field will easily get one without much stress.

So yes! You can get a scholarship provided you blast your GRE /GMAT and have a good application.
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by TheManOfTheYear: 12:36am On Jan 10, 2019
chigo4u:

Is the agent real and legit? I’ll like to have their contact
Be careful of any agent!

I don't know why you people contact agents when you can basically do everything with just your smartphone.
Whether it's the information, you can visit the country's website to learn about their requisites.

Whether it's scholarship info, you can check your school of interest's website.

Whether it's application or whatever, you can do it yourself.

Some (not all) of these agents are nothing but scammers and even though they are not, they just make sure they 'open office' ontop your head.
It's their profit they're after not your satisfaction.

I don talk my own.
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Chriswazo(m): 7:08am On Jan 10, 2019
Hadampson:

I don't really know much about that boss
The only difference i know of is Express entry is an economic class visa while work permit visa is a temporary residence visa

Express entry can take up to 6 months or more while work permit visa shouldn't be more than 3 months

But you know applying for Canadian visa varies from time to time plus its depend on the individual involved.

You will agree with me that 2 people may apply for visit visa for example but may not be given visa approval at the same time.

So it varies boss

Lest i forget, Express entry migration is the path to permanent resident while work permit visa is temporary residence visa but after living in Canada for some years, you can be a permanent resident.

Alright sir, we'll talk more on WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 10, 2019
kristlike:

The following links could help"

Fully Funded Masters Degree Scholarship In Canada

How To Know if a Department has Full Scholarship or Graduate Assistantship for Master's Students

Fully Funded Masters Degree Scholarship in Computer Science in the United States

Read all three and your questions will be answered.
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by chigo4u: 10:43am On Jan 10, 2019
Hadampson:

Canada is only better than Germany in terms of permanent residency they give people and also, Canada allow dual nationality, apart from that, i don't think Canada is better than Germany.

So how is Germany better?
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by johnsonsegxy: 6:08pm On Jan 10, 2019
Hadampson:

What more could be better than being a dual nationality? undecided

I prefer to be dual.... There lots of advantages with being dual mate
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by SIRTee15: 7:24pm On Jan 10, 2019
abnot:

U've not said anything new....
anybody earning 658k per month in nigeria will afford the comfort nigeria has to offer.
For those who see material wealth as the goal, that should be ok....
but not for some, not everybody suffers from poverty mentality which has completely destroyed the psyche of an average nigerian irrespective of socioeconomic background......
I was earning 500k per month in nigeria when I resigned my job and came to the west for training...
I wasn't satisfied with the my career prospect and felt the only gain was my huge monthly salary....
I concluded there was more to my career than what Nigeria has to offer and decided to relocate and I have no regret whatsoever......
If I have any regret at all, it was I didn't motivate myself early enough to leave........
That would have afforded me the opportunity to engage in training for a longer period than what I could possibly do now.....

Nobody is painting a rossy picture of the west...
It is what it is- developed....
and until Nigeria catch up in the area of research and development, I don't see any reversal of the present migration trend.....

I guess you come from a privilege background because I don't understand why u should be complaining about taking metro to class or working per-time....
Politicians in Europe ride bicycle to work while both obama's daughters work per-time right from age 16....so whats the big deal.....

You've told us the luxuries and pecks associated with your work but u yet to tell us exactly what u do and whether your foreign degrees gave u an edge in securing the job....
Anyway, thank God for your privilege background, a lot of Nigerian youths with foreign degrees are roaming naija street without a job, so don't blame their contemporaries who desire to secure their future via foreign marriage....
Rather blame the system that made Nigeria a mess for everyone except a privilege few.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 9:26pm On Jan 10, 2019
chigo4u:

So how is Germany better?

Freedom of movement and work (easy access travel to other European destinations)

With German passport, you can travel to more countries

The limitless speed on the autobahn and the overall culture of Europe

Better economy ( Germany is the economic powerhouse of Europe and number 4 in the world)

School is relatively cheap. You don't have to pay anything apart from the money in the block account. They have very good record in education structure.

The weather and the accessibility to EU market plus Germany is massively industrialized which makes her have an edge over Canada

Germany is located in the centre of Europe. You can reach countless number of countries in a 2 hour flight.

Germany has research institutions than Canada and faculties in Germany are more well versed.

Lots of History, Architecture, ancient artifacts etc

All the same, it probably depends on who you are and what your values are. Both are among the best places in the world to live, and both share many qualities such as a commitment to liberal values, moderate fairly stable politics, etc.

If you are an immigrant, I would say Canada to be the better option. It is a county of immigrants and has large diverse immigrant populations. Germany is much more conservative when it comes to immigration, and pretty miserly when it comes to offering citizenship to non Germans. Germany's immigrant population is also much less diverse than Canada's.

Canada = Diversity
Germany = Cultural exposure
#Shalom cool
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 9:28pm On Jan 10, 2019
Chriswazo:

Alright sir, we'll talk more on WhatsApp
OKAY boss
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 9:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
johnsonsegxy:

What more could be better than being a dual nationality? undecided

I prefer to be dual.... There lots of advantages with being dual mate
I know but i still prefer Germany grin
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2019
SIRTee15:

anybody earning 658k per month in nigeria will afford the comfort nigeria has to offer.
but not for some, not everybody suffers from poverty mentality which has completely destroyed the psyche of an average nigerian irrespective of socioeconomic background......
I was earning 500k per month in nigeria when I resigned my job and came to the west for training...
I wasn't satisfied with the my career prospect and felt the only gain was my huge monthly salary....
I concluded there was more to my career than what Nigeria has to offer and decided to relocate and I have no regret whatsoever......

If I have any regret at all, it was I didn't motivate myself early enough to leave........
That would have afforded me the opportunity to engage in training for a longer period than what I could possibly do now.....

and until Nigeria catch up in the area of research and development, I don't see any reversal of the present migration trend.....

I guess you come from a privilege background because I don't understand why u should be complaining about taking metro to class or working per-time....
Politicians in Europe ride bicycle to work while both obama's daughters work per-time right from age 16....so whats the big deal.....

You've told us the luxuries and pecks associated with your work but u yet to tell us exactly what u do and whether your foreign degrees gave u an edge in securing the job....
Anyway, thank God for your privilege background, a lot of Nigerian youths with foreign degrees are roaming naija street without a job, so don't blame their contemporaries who desire to secure their future via foreign marriage....
Rather blame the system that made Nigeria a mess for everyone except a privilege few.....

God bless you sir
There is more to life than money.
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kristlike: 9:36pm On Jan 10, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Yeah you will also be given grants but compared to someone in the STEM field, yours will be lesser.

Have you checked? Most people getting scholarships abroad are from this field.

What I'm saying in summary is that, you will have to merit it to get a scholarship meanwhile someone from the science field will easily get one without much stress.

So yes! You can get a scholarship provided you blast your GRE /GMAT and have a good application.
Thanks boss I now understand. so I need to work hard both on my GP and Test exams?
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by abnot: 12:01am On Jan 11, 2019
SIRTee15:

Thumbs up bro. I work for one of the financial services regulatory agencies where I build software systems and also advice on the use of technology in monitoring compliance . I had also previously worked in the fintech arm of a financial institution. I considered other prospects other than money before making my decision. Money was not a factor when I decided to move to Nigeria as I was earning a meagre N30k monthly. On the other hand, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that driving a car in New York is more comfortable than being on the metro. This has nothing to do with complaining about riding on the bus. No two human beings are composed the same way and I am happier being in Africa than being in the United States or United Kingdom and that has no correlation with poverty mentality as it’s a choice I made.
I believe people worked/ died to build the systems we all commend in the developed world for themselves and not for economic immigrants from Africa. I didn’t see any extraordinary prospect that was difficult to achieve in Africa and moved away after my studies.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by bravesoul247(m): 12:06pm On Jan 11, 2019
sibb2011:
For Australian work permit from Nigeria, chat with me privately.

Regards.
you're number
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by chigo4u: 5:26pm On Jan 11, 2019
Hadampson:

Freedom of movement and work (easy access travel to other European destinations)

With German passport, you can travel to more countries

The limitless speed on the autobahn and the overall culture of Europe

Better economy ( Germany is the economic powerhouse of Europe and number 4 in the world)

School is relatively cheap. You don't have to pay anything apart from the money in the block account. They have very good record in education structure.

The weather and the accessibility to EU market plus Germany is massively industrialized which makes her have an edge over Canada

Germany is located in the centre of Europe. You can reach countless number of countries in a 2 hour flight.

Germany has research institutions than Canada and faculties in Germany are more well versed.

Lots of History, Architecture, ancient artifacts etc

All the same, it probably depends on who you are and what your values are. Both are among the best places in the world to live, and both share many qualities such as a commitment to liberal values, moderate fairly stable politics, etc.

If you are an immigrant, I would say Canada to be the better option. It is a county of immigrants and has large diverse immigrant populations. Germany is much more conservative when it comes to immigration, and pretty miserly when it comes to offering citizenship to non Germans. Germany's immigrant population is also much less diverse than Canada's.

Canada = Diversity
Germany = Cultural exposure
#Shalom cool
Nice. Like if you want to maybe study and then settle down, raise family.. get easy access to well paying jobs. I know US is numero uno but since getting US visa is rather difficult which offers almost same US experience between Canada and Germany. I already know Canada comes close with language
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 5:32pm On Jan 11, 2019
chigo4u:

Nice. Like if you want to maybe study and then settle down, raise family.. get easy access to well paying jobs. I know US is numero uno but since getting US visa is rather difficult which offers almost same US experience between Canada and Germany. I already know Canada comes close with language

Canada. Although, Canada is like a conservative USA to me
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by jjbest(m): 9:53am On Jan 15, 2019
good morning house, please I need help.
I just finished m.sc here in Nigeria am 27yrs bt will like 2 migrate to Canada4 greener pasture bt I have being told dat sch is d easiest way out. so I applied 4 a post graduate certificate program in AI n was admitted.
so my question is this, must it b only m.sc or PH.D one can use to bf a visa will be granted , n like how much shd I hv in my account 4 d a student visa
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by jjbest(m): 9:57am On Jan 15, 2019
kristlike:

U mentioned dat pple who re denied visa often have one or two issues, so wat cud these issues b
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by kylexy61(m): 1:02am On Jan 16, 2019
Hadampson:

Canada is also better than Germany in the context of language. If you cannot speak the German language, it's going to be significantly more challenging go settle there.
Re: Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada by Hadampson(m): 11:16am On Jan 17, 2019
kylexy61:

Canada is also better than Germany in the context of language. If you cannot speak the German language, it's going to be significantly more challenging go settle there.

Yes boss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Teacher Beats 3-Year-Old For Urinating & Defecating On His Body (pics) / Oluchi Okala Miracle: ABSU Law Graduate Had First Class In ABSU & Law School / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.