Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,004 members, 7,803,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? (517 Views)

What Has Atiku Achieved? – Reno Omokri (Video) / Olusegun Bamgbose: We Cannot Forgive Those Who Re-Elected Buhari In 2019 / 2019 Elections: What Buhari Discussed With Service Chiefs In Closed Door Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by EmmanuelIbeh(m): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2019
It's been over a decade since former President Olusegun Obasanjo served Nigeria as a democratically elected president. He served two tenures with his Vice President, Atiku Abubakar; a relationship which blossomed under the slogan “a partnership that works.” But unfortunately, their relationship hit a rift towards the end of his tenure, thereby creating an enmity between them spanning over ten years now. I believe majority of Nigerians are fully aware of the story; but permit me to refresh your memories on what transpired between the two political giants.

The beginning of the distrust between both men started with the botched impeachment attempt on Obasanjo – an attempt which was alleged to have been masterminded by Atiku. Then came Atiku’s politics of attrition which dragged into the eve of the presidential primaries of the PDP, sending jitters down Obasanjo’s spine, when he threatened contest for the ticket against his boss. It was alleged that Atiku actually set some State Governors against Obasanjo and the agenda to dump the then President almost succeeded. But the third term agenda of Obasanjo in 2006 brought their mutual disdain into full public glare. Atiku openly disagreed with his boss over the attempt to extend his constitutional term limit of eight years.

Apart from the above stated, former President Olusegun Obasanjo also accused Atiku Abubakar of many other sins. These had led to Olusegun Obasanjo being the number one stumbling block to the attainment of the Office of the Presidency by Atiku Abubakar.

Permit me to say that, It is believed that these protracted problems with Olusegun Obasanjo has been the primary reason why Atiku Abubakar is relatively being viewed in the bad light by some Nigerians.

As a Statistician, when I tried to ascertain, randomly, the masses view on Atiku Abubakar's fate in the forth coming Presidential election; the prevailing opinions suggests that the odds are greatly in his favour- he is obviously the favourite candidate.

But a few select group of people think otherwise. Some of their responses are;

- “Atiku Abubakar is a corrupt politician, therefore he is not fit for the job."

- “Let’s have any other person but not Atiku Abubakar.”

- “Atiku Abubakar contributed to Nigerian’s problems today, so he shouldn’t lead us.”

- “Atiku Abubakar was involved in accusations of money laundering by the U.S. government during his Vice Presidency, so he cannot rule Nigeria.”

These and many more excuses gave rise to the topic of this article; What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive?

In response to my findings, I will like to ask Nigerians;

- ''Which Nigerian Politician is a Saint?''

- “Virtually all the past leaders of this great nation, have at some point been accused of one or more sins; yet we still went ahead to vote them into power. Are these few Nigerians trying to be sentimental when it comes to issues pertaining Atiku Abubakar?”

- “Even if he is 'corrupt' as claimed, don't people ever realize their wrongs, change and turn a new leaf?”

What about the respondents to my questions who feel Atiku Abubakar is corrupt;

-“Are they fully exonerated from the corruption that has eaten deep in the bone marrows of our dear country?”

I don't think so.

Let me categorically state here that I'm neither a supporter of Atiku Abubakar, P.D.P nor A.P.C and this article is not aimed at criticizing or bad mouthing the Buhari led Administration, No! A thousand times No! I'm a concerned citizen of this great nation Nigeria, and I'm using this medium as a tool to contribute my quota in the growth and development of our beloved country.

To some Nigerians who says the cap does not fit Atiku Abubakar, because he is corrupt, you all need not forget that;

- He has served this nation twice as a Vice President. That experience ought to count for something. After he was sworn into office as the vice president of Nigeria on 29 May 1999, He presided over the National Council on Privatization, which entailed the responsibility of overseeing the sale of hundreds of loss making and poorly managed public enterprises in the country.

- In 1999, he alongside South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma, launched the South Africa Nigeria Bi-National Commission.

- He has also publicly challenged anybody who insists that he is corrupt to come out with the proof or remain quiet forever. Again, to his credit, nobody has accepted that simple challenge.

- In response to the money laundering accusations; while Atiku Abubakar was a Customs Officer at the Apapa Ports. Gabrielle Volpi, an Italian businessman in Nigeria, invited him to set up Nigeria Container Services (NICOTES), a logistics company operating within the Ports. Conflict of interest accusations arose on account of his involvement in business while a civil servant, who exercised supervisory authority. On his part, Atiku Abubakar defended the decision, saying his involvement was limited to the ownership of shares (which government rules permitted), and that he was not involved in the day-to-day running of the business. NICOTES was later rebranded INTELS, and was featured in accusations of money laundering by the U.S Government; and just because he was a shareholder, that was how he got involved.

- He is a successful businessman and a philanthropist, and has created over 50,000 direct jobs and 250,000 indirect ones; thereby making him the largest private employer of labour in Adamawa state only second to the state government. Some of his businesses include; co-founder of Intels, an oil servicing business with extensive operations in Nigeria and abroad.

- He is also the founder of Adama Beverages Limited, and the American University of Nigeria (AUN) (the only American style university in Sub-Saharan Africa), both in Yola, Adamawa. if he manages his businesses well, with such labour force, he will do same for Nigeria.

- The Atiku Abubakar Foundation for the less privilege  represents and assist less privileged persons who are helpless in order to survive through legitimate means.

- The banking consolidation process, for which he gave political backing for, would forever be remembered. Because of that banking consolidation, Nigerian banks don’t fail anymore the way they used to.

The list goes on but I have to hit the brakes here.

Over the years, we have always voted into power, the people’s favourite or the most popular, or even for religious/ethnic reasons and what we get in return has always been corruption in a more refined state - insurgency, kidnappings, killings, public embezzlement.... You can fill in the blanks.

This is a call for a rethink; give Atiku Abubakar’s Presidential Ambition a second thought. Before you commence, put aside sentiment, ethnicity, Political Party affiliation and tribalism. I blindly doubted Atiku Abubakar at some point, like some Nigerians still do, but after a careful research on him, I realized that he isn't the devil we all think he might be. I'm not also saying he is perfect, but hey! this man may just be the solution we have been yearning for all these years. Think about it!

I urge you all reading this; don't take my word for it, do your own research judiciously. You will be amazed and may discover that the one some have ignored and tagged 'not fit for the office' all these years, may be “the one to deliver us from the Egyptians and take us to the promised land.”

I rest my case. Happy New Year Nigerians.

Emmanuel I. Emeka
eappolus@gmail.com, 08059716279.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by Balyz: 7:29pm On Jan 08, 2019
EmmanuelIbeh:
It's been over a decade since former President Olusegun Obasanjo served Nigeria as a democratically elected president. He served two tenures with his Vice President, Atiku Abubakar; a relationship which blossomed under the slogan “a partnership that works.” But unfortunately, their relationship hit a rift towards the end of his tenure, thereby creating an enmity between them spanning over ten years now. I believe majority of Nigerians are fully aware of the story; but permit me to refresh your memories on what transpired between the two political giants.

The beginning of the distrust between both men started with the botched impeachment attempt on Obasanjo – an attempt which was alleged to have been masterminded by Atiku. Then came Atiku’s politics of attrition which dragged into the eve of the presidential primaries of the PDP, sending jitters down Obasanjo’s spine, when he threatened contest for the ticket against his boss. It was alleged that Atiku actually set some State Governors against Obasanjo and the agenda to dump the then President almost succeeded. But the third term agenda of Obasanjo in 2006 brought their mutual disdain into full public glare. Atiku openly disagreed with his boss over the attempt to extend his constitutional term limit of eight years.

Apart from the above stated, former President Olusegun Obasanjo also accused Atiku Abubakar of many other sins. These had led to Olusegun Obasanjo being the number one stumbling block to the attainment of the Office of the Presidency by Atiku Abubakar.

Permit me to say that, It is believed that these protracted problems with Olusegun Obasanjo has been the primary reason why Atiku Abubakar is relatively being viewed in the bad light by some Nigerians.

As a Statistician, when I tried to ascertain, randomly, the masses view on Atiku Abubakar's fate in the forth coming Presidential election; the prevailing opinions suggests that the odds are greatly in his favour- he is obviously the favourite candidate.

But a few select group of people think otherwise. Some of their responses are;

- “Atiku Abubakar is a corrupt politician, therefore he is not fit for the job."

- “Let’s have any other person but not Atiku Abubakar.”

- “Atiku Abubakar contributed to Nigerian’s problems today, so he shouldn’t lead us.”

- “Atiku Abubakar was involved in accusations of money laundering by the U.S. government during his Vice Presidency, so he cannot rule Nigeria.”

These and many more excuses gave rise to the topic of this article; What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive?

In response to my findings, I will like to ask Nigerians;

- ''Which Nigerian Politician is a Saint?''

- “Virtually all the past leaders of this great nation, have at some point been accused of one or more sins; yet we still went ahead to vote them into power. Are these few Nigerians trying to be sentimental when it comes to issues pertaining Atiku Abubakar?”

- “Even if he is 'corrupt' as claimed, don't people ever realize their wrongs, change and turn a new leaf?”

What about the respondents to my questions who feel Atiku Abubakar is corrupt;

-“Are they fully exonerated from the corruption that has eaten deep in the bone marrows of our dear country?”

I don't think so.

Let me categorically state here that I'm neither a supporter of Atiku Abubakar, P.D.P nor A.P.C and this article is not aimed at criticizing or bad mouthing the Buhari led Administration, No! A thousand times No! I'm a concerned citizen of this great nation Nigeria, and I'm using this medium as a tool to contribute my quota in the growth and development of our beloved country.

To some Nigerians who says the cap does not fit Atiku Abubakar, because he is corrupt, you all need not forget that;

- He has served this nation twice as a Vice President. That experience ought to count for something. After he was sworn into office as the vice president of Nigeria on 29 May 1999, He presided over the National Council on Privatization, which entailed the responsibility of overseeing the sale of hundreds of loss making and poorly managed public enterprises in the country.

- In 1999, he alongside South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma, launched the South Africa Nigeria Bi-National Commission.

- He has also publicly challenged anybody who insists that he is corrupt to come out with the proof or remain quiet forever. Again, to his credit, nobody has accepted that simple challenge.

- In response to the money laundering accusations; while Atiku Abubakar was a Customs Officer at the Apapa Ports. Gabrielle Volpi, an Italian businessman in Nigeria, invited him to set up Nigeria Container Services (NICOTES), a logistics company operating within the Ports. Conflict of interest accusations arose on account of his involvement in business while a civil servant, who exercised supervisory authority. On his part, Atiku Abubakar defended the decision, saying his involvement was limited to the ownership of shares (which government rules permitted), and that he was not involved in the day-to-day running of the business. NICOTES was later rebranded INTELS, and was featured in accusations of money laundering by the U.S Government; and just because he was a shareholder, that was how he got involved.

- He is a successful businessman and a philanthropist, and has created over 50,000 direct jobs and 250,000 indirect ones; thereby making him the largest private employer of labour in Adamawa state only second to the state government. Some of his businesses include; co-founder of Intels, an oil servicing business with extensive operations in Nigeria and abroad.

- He is also the founder of Adama Beverages Limited, and the American University of Nigeria (AUN) (the only American style university in Sub-Saharan Africa), both in Yola, Adamawa. if he manages his businesses well, with such labour force, he will do same for Nigeria.

- The Atiku Abubakar Foundation for the less privilege  represents and assist less privileged persons who are helpless in order to survive through legitimate means.

- The banking consolidation process, for which he gave political backing for, would forever be remembered. Because of that banking consolidation, Nigerian banks don’t fail anymore the way they used to.

The list goes on but I have to hit the brakes here.

Over the years, we have always voted into power, the people’s favourite or the most popular, or even for religious/ethnic reasons and what we get in return has always been corruption in a more refined state - insurgency, kidnappings, killings, public embezzlement.... You can fill in the blanks.

This is a call for a rethink; give Atiku Abubakar’s Presidential Ambition a second thought. Before you commence, put aside sentiment, ethnicity, Political Party affiliation and tribalism. I blindly doubted Atiku Abubakar at some point, like some Nigerians still do, but after a careful research on him, I realized that he isn't the devil we all think he might be. I'm not also saying he is perfect, but hey! this man may just be the solution we have been yearning for all these years. Think about it!

I urge you all reading this; don't take my word for it, do your own research judiciously. You will be amazed and may discover that the one some have ignored and tagged 'not fit for the office' all these years, may be “the one to deliver us from the Egyptians and take us to the promised land.”

I rest my case. Happy New Year Nigerians.

Emmanuel I. Emeka
eappolus@gmail.com, 08059716279.
Mr Emmanuel go to the US senate website and type in atiku abubakar In the search box, read what it has to say about the man and find out why Nigerians will never ever let that man come anywhere near the presidency

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2019
if the masses like him they will vote for him. just like Buhari who had no certificate but was still voted for in 2015. the ball court is in the hands of the masses

2 Likes

Re: 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by BafanaBafana: 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2019
Balyz:
Mr Emmanuel go to the US senate website and type in atiku abubakar In the search box, read what it has to say about the man and find out why Nigerians will never ever let that man come anywhere near the presidency
Na true o

2 Likes

Re: 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by Optional09: 8:09pm On Jan 08, 2019
We don’t have any problem with him as a person we just don’t want him and Buhari as the president. They are too old for the job period! We need someone with sound mind to meet up with the developmental deficits of 58 year in a short period of time.

We believe Sowore can do it AAC is his party

1 Like

Re: 2019 ELECTIONS: What Has Atiku Abubakar Done That Some Nigerians Cannot Forgive? by helinues: 8:15pm On Jan 08, 2019
Both writer and the op

What yah say about this?

(1) (Reply)

Why is Buhari In A Hurry To Charge CJN To CCT / BREAKING: I Came Into Office On 19th Of May 2015, Says Buhari / Apc Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.