Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,738 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You (20994 Views)

JOB : What Side Hustle Can One Do On Weekends in Abuja? / A Lecturing Job Outside Lagos Or 200k Job In Lagos? / ICPC Job Vs Lecturing Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Postgraduatengr: 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2019
An academic position in a higher institution of learning is arguably one of the best career path. Apart from the not-too-bad financial rewards (which is probably, what you thought is most important, dead wrong!), there is a prestige is being called an Academic.

Holding a faculty position, in a university is a honour of great measure. Beyond that, many academic/lecturers set their job schedule for either classes or research. They travel often, and hold a global connection with fellow lecturers. Such fleixibility is rare in many other careers. Despite these pull, you may have wondered, why it is difficult getting fixed-in, to start that career as a University Lecturer.

How to get the dream lecturing job

Some of this tips are applicable to Nigeria, but can be helpful, no matter where you are.

Know the Minimum Entry Certificate: A university is a very formal institution, and requires its staff to be trained in a specialized field. You would need at least a Master degree, with a prospect of continuing to PhD, to be considered. A research Master degree, with a grade point in upper percentile is the aim.

To increase your opportunity to getting a lecturing job, better be patient and complete a Doctorate. While this is a longer way to go, its surely pays off. Actually, I have not met a PhD holder who is unemployed. Though it is also true that a fresh graduate can get a lecturing job as a Graduate Assistant, such chances are usually for First class graduates, and it doesn’t come all the time. So be prepared, you must go the long haul, to make a career as a university lecturer. It surely requires time and commitment.

Be in the University System: This is a no brainer, it is easier to get a lecturing job, when you are within the campus, than from outside. By inside, I mean, either as a student or non academic staff. In fact, you could be a staff on the faculty of the university, but not on the desired role or level. Head of Department and Faculty/College deans meet to discuss staff shortages. With the Vice chancellor’s approval, lecturing job openings are filled, even without advertisement. These Professors would rather recommend and recruit their brilliant postgraduate students, than an outsider. Getting a lecturing job from with in also means having your ears on ground. Make friends with people privy to information, before they are posted to the university’s website.

Take Part-time Lecturing Jobs: Its easier getting a part time position as a lecturer. Look around for distance learning programmes. This can be for a College of Education, Polytechnic or a University. While the work may be burdensome, with no commensurate pay, you will get invaluable experience. On your C.V, lecturing experience can put you ahead of competitors for the same position. It doesn’t matter, if the experience is from a part time school or not, as long as it is verifiable. Some part-time/ distance learning school hold on weekends, while others are during the holidays (sand wish programme).
Network through Former Lecturers: Networking is a time tested method to get jobs, not even only lecturing Job. In this case, your former university teachers will be good recommendation for you, especially in another University. Universities lecturers in the same specialization know each other pretty well, as they meet at conferences. A versitile professor would have solid contact in at least three other university. Such a persons name, not just on the C.V, but giving you a heads-in is a big plus to getting the lecturing job. Imagine, how blessed you will be, having about three to four of such networks. It helps beyond measure.

Attend Conferences and Publish in Journal: The number of conferences attended, and impact factor journal published is the most visible sign of a hardworking scholar. Getting the dream lecturing job would be just so easy.
Dream lecturing job: It can be a reality
Combination of the above tip the the following will be helpful.

1 Have a positive mindset

2 Have a good C.V/resume, stating academic awards, conference attended and journal papers published.

3 Use academic staff, preferable a high ranking professor as referee. Its good you put the on notice too.

4 Submit your work to journal search and list site like Google Scholar’s Academia

5 Visit academic job boards.

http://postgraduatenigeria.com/2017/09/how-to-get-the-dream-lecturing-job-what-no-one-told-you/

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by egojeny1(f): 9:14am On Jan 10, 2019
Thanks so much for this info

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Rhymeyjohn: 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2019
The info here can change someone's life.

Lalasticlala let's bless someone

12 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Hahjascho(m): 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2019
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Rhymeyjohn: 10:33pm On Mar 21, 2021
This info is still relevant.
Lalasticlala more people need to be informed

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by slawormiir: 10:36am On Mar 22, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright.....
Perused through Ogbeni op write up as I put on my intellectual cap and read between lines while blazing my weed simultaneously or rather concurrently
And i will admit the write up is not devoid of intellect ...
Especially "that be in the university system"....because even people from security department can convert and redesignate easily to academic department/lecturers

But this is not to say .....that you should forget the normal mantra " know somebody way know person "
When you are seeking for lecturing job in our Tertiary institutions

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by yeyeboi(m): 10:37am On Mar 22, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Orire01(m): 10:37am On Mar 22, 2021
Ok, Good information!

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.
Details on my signature
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by SensualMan1(m): 10:39am On Mar 22, 2021
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by OyinO: 10:39am On Mar 22, 2021
Dream job indeed. Where's the dream job at? You all daydreaming in a Fool's Paradise. Deceiving and being Deceived.

5 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by koskilala: 10:40am On Mar 22, 2021
nice tips, thanks for this
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Bampeh: 10:40am On Mar 22, 2021
Cool tips but the most important among them is to be very close to your HOD. They can slot you in even without any vacant position in their department.

bampeh applauds this tips

5 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by captainamiedi1: 10:41am On Mar 22, 2021
important tip. get someone inside. be connected or ready to be disconnected

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by resolve68: 10:42am On Mar 22, 2021
Bampeh:

Wetin Bampeh will do this time

3 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 22, 2021
In Nigeria just have "connection" or belong to a certain region or ethnic group.

I remember when we graduated. I was among the best 3 graduating students in the department. (2 had first class). Yet, NONE of us was even considered for a graduate assistant position. The guys who were taken we're all from a particular religion and region.

Coincidence?

*I'll even go ahead and name the University. ABU Zaria

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Dozis: 10:43am On Mar 22, 2021
I love teaching, but I can't teach in Nigerian public universities.
Their incessant strikes is annoying
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by WiszyFraud: 10:43am On Mar 22, 2021
captainamiedi1:
important tip. get someone inside. be connected or ready to be disconnected

GbamSolutely..cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Bishopadaidu(m): 10:46am On Mar 22, 2021
Dream job sef we no see.. Na me want break esusu go do masters? Because of dream lecturing job. I don clear that dream sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by gwinaB(m): 10:46am On Mar 22, 2021
egojeny1:
Thanks so much for this info
You want to be a lecturer?
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by parkervero(m): 10:47am On Mar 22, 2021
may be I should consider lecturing. Females students, huh!
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Niyeal(m): 10:47am On Mar 22, 2021
How much is lecturer take home pay, when MNC and INGO are paying bastard money

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 22, 2021

2 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 22, 2021
smiley
Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by TBadd(m): 10:52am On Mar 22, 2021
Exactly my life right now, still searching, PhD in View, UNN.
God Dey!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by santos247(m): 11:03am On Mar 22, 2021
The author wrote this based on the Nigerian factor...This steps would be so divergent if it were to be in more advanced nations.
For example, how do you place Journal Publishing, conference attendance etc at the lower rung of your list and premium things like "being within the University System"?
For your information, It is easier for a fresh PHD grad from another University to get recruited than for a non-academic person who pushes through a PhD within the department to switch roles. Research impact (mainly analysed from the Quality of journals, conference, grants won and patent records) and potential to diversify the Department's research profile is key to securing a lecturing/University academic position outside Nigeria.
This is the reason most best graduating students end up doing MSC and PhD within their department. The system is always afraid to hire "foreign brain" into their fold.
How many lecturers within a Department at UNN, for example, were hired after studying in places like OAU, UI, ABU or abroad, apart from those who secured TEFUND to do PhD abroad while being a staff? NIgeria is walking backwards as usual.

Postgraduatengr:

http://postgraduatenigeria.com/2017/09/how-to-get-the-dream-lecturing-job-what-no-one-told-you/

4 Likes

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by chrisifeanyi: 11:06am On Mar 22, 2021
Nowadays getting lecturing job in Nigeria isn't an easy feat. You must either know the VC, top management staff, high ranking Professor(not all professor) or politician. I know what am saying.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by kalu61(m): 11:06am On Mar 22, 2021
You couldn't have said it better. Make my connect click this year.

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by IMASTEX: 11:08am On Mar 22, 2021
Very informative yet less attention given compare to topics like "actress go braless in hot bikini" undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Get The Dream Lecturing Job: What No One Told You by egojeny1(f): 11:08am On Mar 22, 2021
gwinaB:

You want to be a lecturer?
I wldn't mind

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Write A Job Application Using The E-mail Format / My Funny Interview Experience / Cabin Crew Needed In Arik Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.