Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,663 members, 7,801,917 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (17531 Views)

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Aker Nguyilan: Jambite Dies In Car Accident While Travelling To Write JAMB Exams / My Daughter Not Allowed To Write JAMB With Her Hijab On - Man Raises Alarm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by emkz: 6:54pm On Jan 10, 2019
Study mathematics and do a minor in statistics. The language of computer science, coding, physics and engineering is mathematics. So you are better off studying the origin of physical science. Right now, every one is talking about data science, artificial intelligence and machine learning. Anyone with a mathematics background and programming skills excels here. As far as I know, if you don't know the maths, you can't write the code and if you can't put a physical problem in mathematical form, you can't solve it. I think computer science is too broad to be studied as a single course in the world we are in now. Decide whether you want to specialize in network security, data science and intelligence; bioinformatics, software development and information theory. You can do an MSc in one of these areas.

With mathematics, you won't be limited in job prospects in the future. You can work anywhere. You can even do your MSc in any of the physical sciences, one of the computing tracts (cybersecurity is hot cake at the moment) or engineering. Professors Oye Ibidapo-Obe and Babtunde Sofuluwe, both former Vice-Chancellors of Unilag studied mathematics at BSc and did computer science at MSc in the 70s. However if they insist, I suggest you do mathematics with a minor in computer science. I think FUTO should offer such combination.

Best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by bassdow: 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2019
Fxwarrior:

My brother, sometimes it feels sad that such things do happen. Since you like mathematics and you are already in 200L I would advice you to stay put.

Convince your mum that mathematics is your passion and I want to believe your results are giving good testimony to back it up.

Watch her convince your father over a plate of egusi soup with palmy to wash it. Your elder brother wouldn't have a choice than to fall in line.

Many lives have been ruined due to this ish. You see students walking about with no purpose just counting the years so they can finish their sentence and embrace freedom.

When would these Elders Learn to only Guide and not try to Dictate to the Younger ones.

Listen up Op, you don't have to rewrite Jamb just because your parents asked you to.

You need to Man-Up and let them know it's Mathematics you love and equally remind them it's you who would be Studying it not them.

It's like advising You to marry a Lady you don't like. You only would be Tormenting and suffering yourself and not them.

If they threaten not footing your Fees, let them know it doesn't change anything.

You are better Off doing Menial jobs and be Free than Obeying someone (even if it's your parents) and Living in Denial and Slavery.

Am a very good example of what I just wrote.
The earlier you learn to Man-Up, the better for you.

PSS: You don't even need any degree or any certification(s) to be good in any computer field.

In fact, I sometimes hate it that am a Graduate but am very happy for One thing - I would never make use of it.
In fact I have got no Plans to.

The secret to Being Happy and Fulfilled is doing what you Want, not what someone else (irrespective of their role in Society or in your life) wants.

Let me leave it at that.

Bye for now

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Effulgent(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2019
confusedGuy:
Programming is just a part of computer science. You must not study computer science before you start writing codes.

I studied physics and here I am making A living from programming. I have never made a dime with my physics cert.

I started learning Programming while in school studying physics at 300L....just imagine mixing physics and coding....it all boils down to passion. And you have it!

Mathematics, Physics, computer science and engineering are the four subject one should have a degree in to get a programming job. However getting a job in programming solely depends on your skill.

You can still be getting millions from programming as a freelancer with your mathematics even while still in school studying.

CODING is a skill....not something you need to go to school to study.

My 2 cents..

Can I pm you sir, I'm also a physics student currently in 200l
I'm interested in programming but I don't really have a clue where to start and how to go about it
I would love to have a personal chat with you sir
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by dewana4real2all(m): 7:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
The two is ok
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Dollabiz: 7:11pm On Jan 10, 2019
dont give up
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Deborahj(f): 7:22pm On Jan 10, 2019
I study Bsc Computer Science, please continue with your mathematics and start working on your area of interest +strength in IT , like you can start reading and study Cisco Exams, Microsoft certification and also you can learn about Linus operating systems. You have alots of materials online for on pdf format and Tutor video on YouTube. You can also get virtual machines for labs and practices.
You have a lot of resources on the internet, but most of the young people are wasting a lot of time on instagram,Facebook,Twitter etc.
The sky is your limit
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 10, 2019
u say u dey 200l baba change ur course to statistics u go tnx me letter. no any organisation that doesn't have stats department you can work every where man.

and you can learn ur programming, coding since that is your passion while studying.. one guy States above (he is 300l physics student when he dey learn programming.. so is never too late for you...
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Karex81(m): 7:39pm On Jan 10, 2019
Follow your heart man, mathematics and computer science are both good courses but I prefer mathematics to computer science. Moreover you can gain programming skills during your leisure time
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by fcisca: 7:40pm On Jan 10, 2019
I would advise that you continue with your mathematics program. State of the art Artificial Intelligence areas like Data Science, Machine Learning, etc have blurred the lines between CS and MATHS. There is so much convergence now.
However do not just stop at the theoretical learning in school. Embrace programming, problem-solving and algorithms development. Sign up for Freecodecamp. You will get tons of invaluable resources.
All the very best! ��

dauddy97:
I love programming and I love Mathematics. I choose Mathematics myself when I applied for jamb since 2017. Currently in 200lvl. My eldest brother called my dad and ask him what I was studying, so he told him it's "Mathematics". After their discussion, I was told to start planning to write another jamb and choose computer science. I don't know how to convince them. pls help, should I continue with Mathematics or sit for another jamb.

pls, I need your candid advice.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Youngpo30: 7:43pm On Jan 10, 2019
I have a plot of land for sale in Adebowale Ondo Road Akure , For more details you can call 08121305782...
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by PAQ(m): 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2019
Finish with mathematics then get ur IT certifications. It will make you more valuable and employable, even better than who studied computer science alone.

Besides in Nigeria studying Computer Science alone doesnt make you employable, you still need your professional certifications. You are on the right track, if you have time n money you can still acquire IT knowledge and certifications while studying mathematics.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by ToyinDipo(m): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2019
If you really want to be good with algorithms, Mathematics is preferable as a course of study to Computer science in Nigerian universities,
although Mathematics do not cover subjects such as data structures and database, which you should be able to learn by self study.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by 3mmyz(m): 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2019
Continue with studying Mathematics, you don't necessarily need a BSc in Computer science to be an expert in IT. Chase the Maths and then do what you love after grad school.

Reentering school in Nigeria is somewhat a pain on the butt process.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by mildflame: 8:03pm On Jan 10, 2019
OmoManU:
Pls rewrite jamb and go computer science, continuing with mathematics was my biggest mistake in life up till today

you don't know jack
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by zivility: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
Continue with mathematics. If they want u to do computer it should be niit or aptech

Besides u have just 2 years to get ur degree which if u get good gov job it doesn't matter what u read
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by bigerboy200: 8:05pm On Jan 10, 2019
If you know what u are doing you can be a successful computer scientist without earning a degree in computer science..I have seen animal scientists doing great things in the field of computer/info tech. It all depends on you..
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by ofoka: 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2019
Use the money and time to pay for IT certifications and finish your mathematics. You will save money, time and be more qualified for even IT jobs
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by BrokenCock: 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:
I love programming and I love Mathematics. I choose Mathematics myself when I applied for jamb since 2017. Currently in 200lvl. My eldest brother called my dad and ask him what I was studying, so he told him it's "Mathematics". After their discussion, I was told to start planning to write another jamb and choose computer science. I don't know how to convince them. pls help, should I continue with Mathematics or sit for another jamb.

My advice, finish with Math degrees. Do short professional CSC courses, after sch run a pgd program on CSC if thats better.

Im also in the same. I did maths /stats as bsc tho. Im working in a cool place here in Canada
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by njele: 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2019
You will have alot of opportunities of you study a programe like software engineering. It is very easy to be self employ if you study software engineering.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by xcelentattitude(m): 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2019
OmoManU:
Pls rewrite jamb and go computer science, continuing with mathematics was my biggest mistake in life up till today

How sir? Can you elaborate so we can all benefit from your wealth of experience.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Memyselfu2009(m): 8:15pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:
Thanks. what about in terms of job opportunity

Job no dey dis country have the mentality of créating jobs its the best
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by MrCEO69(m): 8:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:

Guy read ur math and learn computer sci online. Math give u an upper hand.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by hgnbello(m): 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2019
continue with math.. if u want to learn programming school won't teach u anything..
u cn learn programming nd hav ur cert
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by ohuatc(m): 8:54pm On Jan 10, 2019
[quote author=dauddy97 post=74628256]I love programming and I love Mathematics. I choose Mathematics myself when I applied for jamb since 2017. Currently in 200lvl. My eldest brother called my dad and ask him what I was studying, so he told him it's "Mathematics". After their discussion, I was told to start planning to write another jamb and choose computer science. I don't know how to convince them. pls help, should I continue with Mathematics or sit for another jamb.

pls, I need your candid advice.[/quote

Get good programming books and a laptop. Study and practice at your spare time at home. Once the passion is there you will become a guru in coding. I love coding. I know many people that read Computer Science but still can not code at all.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by DrThanos: 9:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
vezycash:

See -

1. You're not going to become a programmer by studying Computer science. Check my many posts on this regard.

2. Computer science is 80% mathematics.

3. Ignore people mentioning algorithms and data structure because you're already learning them in mathematics without realizing it.

JOB, JOB JOB!!!

For many companies, a CS degree is not enough to get you a job. Your ability to use languages like Java, C# will be the main requirement for getting the job. Unless you have connect, few companies are willing to train new staff on programming.

Your ability to program in any of the ffg: Swift, Objective C, Java will be required to get employed by companies who build or maintain mobile apps.

Mastering two or more of the ffg: HTML, CSS, Javascript, php, Asp.net, React, bootstrap, laravel... will be required to work in a eCommerce like Jiji, and Jumia, and web development companies.

Mastery of any of the ffg: MySQL, MsSql, Oracle, Windows Server, Ubuntu server will get you a job as a database / sever administrator.

Mastering Python can get you a job in all the above and also as a data analyst.

In fact, master just Photoshop and you can become self-employed, work with eCommerce, app / web developers...

Again, a CS degree will get you an interview. But mastering just two or three of the above will get you the job.

You have two more years to make yourself a hot cake as a programmer. If you're willing, patient and ready to spend money on internet data to learn, PM me.
bro can I PM you too ?
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Doyin2(m): 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:

I beg complete your mathematics and go for MSc and or professional qualifications and certifications in programming/computer Science/IT etc ..
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by MKULTRA: 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2019
Bro please don't quit that maths
I did the same but regretting now if I had known I would have put all my possible effort cause it really hard.
But I know God will help. cry wink
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by ebukason3(m): 9:10pm On Jan 10, 2019
dauddy97:

My advise is don't rewrite jamb because I believe there is an option for you to do change of course ( you can change to Cs/math or CS)
On a more serious note I will advise you to continue maths and join IT groups (google team, 21st century club, ...) and learn programming during semester break. You should also try and get some certifications eg CCNA. Mathematics make you a better programmer , I knew some CS graduates that wish they combined maths. I myself graduated from mathematics also member of google team. The current google educator sub sahara Africa is from my team. Decision now is yours.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by Ubdavis(m): 9:15pm On Jan 10, 2019
What is so special about computer science In Nigeria. Study that mathematics, to me its better.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by aabiola008(m): 9:19pm On Jan 10, 2019
Let them understand maths is not bad and u can make something good out of it. If they insist, let them collect a,level form for u. Time is paramount.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by tayor3(m): 9:21pm On Jan 10, 2019
femi4:
Of all the engineering wey dey....you chose food engineering. Guy, you no try
Lol...funny you.
Re: Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? by vezycash(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10, 2019
-.. . .-.. . - . -..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LAUTECH Calls Off 8 Months Strike, Resumes On The 27th Of January / Video : Student Turn Biology Class To Sex Fiesta / Admission In Rufus Giwa Polytechnic Owo:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.