Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

"The Pulse Of Oblivion: Episode 1, Written By Gift Okaro" - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / "The Pulse Of Oblivion: Episode 1, Written By Gift Okaro" (326 Views)

Nordest24: The Pulse Of Northern Italy / Customer Satisfaction Survey Company - Finger On The Pulse Research / "The Pulse Of Oblivion; A Story By Gift Okaro" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"The Pulse Of Oblivion: Episode 1, Written By Gift Okaro" by somto7(m): 4:22pm On Jan 10, 2019
ONITSHA, ANAMBRA STATE... EASTERN NIGERIA,WEST AFRICA

It was a beautiful sight. Not that it was something new to her but the superb feeling she was having seemed to rejuvenate everything around her. The gliding of the vehicles on the tarred roads and the way the drivers communicated with the honk of their horns was beautiful to her. Nothing was out of the ordinary, she knew that but when the eagerness and anxiety were finally over, nothing less was expected of her. It was already official.
Iretikan turned to Beluolisa and smiled. She was now an Onochie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Immediately the women saw Ifeatu approaching, they knew that something was definitely up. The chatterings ended and they prepped themselves for that which she had come to relay.  Ifeatu approached them smiling and adjusting her wrapper which had seen better days

"I got word. They are almost home"
The women gave out different screams of joy and one of them started a song and they all joined the chorus. They sang and danced their way into the compound.The excitement was truly eminent.
Akukalia stormed out of the house with a sour look on her face.

"What is this nonsensical display for?" She barked her eyes rolling with anger

Igoring her demeanor, Ifeatu replied smiling  "Aku, we are here to welcome our new wife into the family just like it was done for each and everyone of us. You should join us, your daughter-in-law will soon be here"

"I forbid you from involving me in whatever curse you are all heaping on yourselves. As far as I am concerned no marriage ceremony took place in this family today so take your dirges to somewhere else.The day is too young for this child's play"

The women went into a fit of inaudible murmuring and snapping of fingers.

"But... I... I.. I We_we are supposed to......."

"There are enough lands to dig your graves in this community. I'm rather baffled by your decision to do that in my compound. Listen women of Onitsha-Ado, the last time i checked i never invited any of you to any marriage feast..so why would you come to trouble my peace...I need you all to get out of this compound or this town will still tell the tale of what happened here even when our graves must have fertilized a million plants"

The women cursed under their breaths and snapped their fingers as they made their way out of the compound.

"Good riddance" Akukalia cursed .
   She was about to go back into the house when she heard the sound of a vehicle entering the compound.
   Ikennaya stepped down first followed by Beluolisa and then Iretikan.

"Where are the women?" Ikennaya asked after greeting his mother.

Akukalia ignored both his question and Iretikan's greeting rather she turned to Beluolisa and gave him a roguish smile "Welcome Beluolisa....How was your journey?"

"Smooth...mother. Why are the women peeking from the road instead of being here for the traditional welcome of the new bride"

Still with her roguish smile "Oh they have no reason to be here son. The vestige of the wisdom of our mothers before us, still lives in them"

"What are you talking about mother?"

"Good day, nné" Iretikan greeted again after being ignored for a long time.

"I heard you the first time ...Whoever taught you how to say nne should have also taught you to postrate before saying ututu óma nné to me. You can't be what you are not"

"Mother!" Beluolisa bellowed angrily "Irekitan was only trying.."

"Ohhh.. Ire nkita... Is that her name?"

"He said Iretikan" Ikennaya said and Akukalia hushed him with the raise of her hand.

"Daughter, did your teacher teach you the meaning of Ire nkita in our dialect?.... Definitely not. So if u wouldn't mind, i was conversing with my son before you rudely interrupted"

"Mother what is this all about?..I jukwara ya ma ó ga a la mmiri (did you ask her if she'd care for water) before bringing this up...it was a long journey" Beluolisa said

Akukalia smiled "The journey you've started is far more longer and deeper than that which you've undergone"

"You don't have to link everything to our heritage mother, can't i do something normal for once.. I'm a grown man!"

"You are an Onochie!!!..Beluolisa... and Onochies don't lead a normal life!!" The fire in her eyes was blazing hot "You are the first son of your father not by birth but by circumstance and you are very much aware of what I mean. Akunnaya's death has long lost his grip on you i can see.. Did you even tell our beloved Ire nkita that you lied to your umunna... The lady i want to marry is from Umuoji, you said..Osun is the new umuoji i see"

"Mother.." He warned

"Yes son.. You are an Onochie...Onochies live by tradition.. And intermarriage?" She laughed

The initial enthusiasm that overwhelmed Iretikan was long gone. She was trying hard to fight back her tears. Beluolisa looked at her and anger enveloped him. Deep down he knew he could have easily averted all these but how could he spend the rest of his life without Iretikan. All these went through his mind as he unconsciously clenched his jaw and his hand curled into a fist.

Akukalia looked at him and smiled "You can neither fight me or your chi.. Mmadu ana agba chi ya mgba? (does anyone wrestle his god?)..It is a Friday don't forget to go and pay homage to Eruru. She is merciful, I might overlook but she might not. Isi kote ebu ogba chasie ya (proverb: you bear the consequences of your action). You may leave now Eze-Erulu"...........................

Get the complete Story on https://www.suavedef.com.ng/2019/01/the-pulse-of-oblivion-episode-1.html

(1) (Reply)

Https://www.hotsupplementboost.com/sizevitrexx-pills/ / How To Sign Up As A Seller On Savemore / Please I Want To Relocate Outside Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.