Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike (688 Views)

Sanwo-olu Has Abandoned Governance For Tinubu’s Campaign - Ebun Adegboruwa (SAN) / Nigeria Is Fast Breaking Up & FG Must Do This Now Before It's Too Late / Frame-Up: FG Issues Statement On Obasanjo's Looming 'Arrest' & 'Detention' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike by 19Ebisco: 4:30am On Jan 12, 2019
Rivers State governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has decried the neglect of the Niger Delta, despite the fact the region is suffering untold environmental hardship for keeping the country afloat.

Speaking during a courtesy visit by the Minister of Environment, Mr. Suleiman Hassan Zarma to the Government House, Port Harcourt, on Friday, Governor Wike said that environmental degradation caused by oil exploration is worse than insurgency.

He said: “While we support the fighting against insurgency, nothing is worse than environmental pollution. We suffer because we are allowing Nigeria to survive. We are suffering for Nigeria to survive. It is through our oil that Nigeria is surviving.

“We are dying because we are keeping the country alive. Nobody wants to give us the attention required. These people who are suffering because of the nation’s survival, why not give them priority to survive? “

He urged the Federal Government to withdraw funds from the Excess Crude Account to address the environmental challenges in Ogoni land. The governor said it should be done in the same manner that funds were withdrawn to tackle insurgency.

“They took $1 billion from the Excess Crude Accounts to fight insurgency. I say they should take $500 million from the Excess Crude Accounts for the Ogoni Clean-Up Exercise “.

He assured the Federal Ministry of Environment of Rivers State government’s support to achieve the goals of remediation of the Ogoni environment.

“If you had told me earlier that you were coming, I would have provided a helicopter for you to fly over Ogoni land. You will weep at the level of environmental damage “, the governor said.

The governor regretted that the Ogoni Clean up Exercise has been politicised, pointing out that the Ministry of Environment is handing over sites to contractors three years after Vice President Yemi Osinbajo flagged off the exercise. He said the two activities took place as elections approached.

“Three years ago, the President represented by the Vice President flagged off the clean up during the rerun elections. One month to the general elections, the Minister of Environment has come to hand over the sites.

“If I tell you I believe sincerely that you people want to clean up Ogoni land, I am telling you lies. Surprise me and prove me wrong “, he said.

He called on the Minister of Environment to investigate cases of deduction of funds from contracts awarded for the clean up exercise.

The governor urged the Federal Ministry of Environment to ensure that the benefiting communities are patronised during the clean up and all approved steps taken by Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP).

In his remarks, the Minister of Environment, Mr. Suleiman Hassan Zarma assured that the Ministry working with HYPREP would ensure that the clean up of Ogoni land is carried out.

He said that the Ministry would take steps to address the concerns raised by the Rivers State governor.

He said: “We are here to set the tone to enable the foundation laying of a robust inter-governmental collaboration which you have been doing especially in the environmental sector”.

He informed the governor that he was in the state to commence the handover of sites for the commencement of the clean up exercise.

Also reacting to the governor’s allegation, Niger Delta minister, Mr. Usani Usani told Saturday Sun in a telephone interview that the region has never been given the kind of attention the Buhari administration has been giving it in terms of development in the last 20 years. He added that President Buhari has done more on infrastructure for the Niger Delta than when those from the area were in charge of various government agencies.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2019/01/12/wake-fg-abandoned-niger-delta-wike/

1 Like

Re: Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike by onez: 4:39am On Jan 12, 2019
This govt is an all round failure. No debate on it.
Re: Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike by sureboykris(m): 4:47am On Jan 12, 2019
If only our leaders have sincerity of purpose .
What does it take to just do the right thing.
Wike keep speaking the truth.
Re: Wake Up FG Has Abandoned Niger Delta – Wike by bizza45: 4:52am On Jan 12, 2019
This man likes nosie so much ... Wike apart from construction of roads, tell us your other achievements.... Job creation: 0, education :0 ... D only difference btw u and buhari is that u are in PDP and d other in APC ....both of una na bunch of wailers

(1) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Eyes World Bank Presidency (PHOTO) / 2 YEARS AFTER: Ipob Kanu Spotted In London With Family Eating lunch - Pix / Video Of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo's Helicopter Crash-lands In Kogi State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.