Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? (3266 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. / Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by AloyEmeka5: 9:46pm On Aug 11, 2010
[size=14pt]Are Igbo Women the most educated in Nigeria?[/size]
Home | Headlines | Are Igbo Women the most educated in Nigeria?
Font size: Published 11/08/2010 01:10:00 NFC

Both the Federal and the State governments have been patronizing Nigerian women much since the attainment of democracy in 1999 by awarding appointments to them, and Igbo women are not left out in this banquet. This is very nice and wonderful. And they are making great inputs and outputs as they relate to leadership and family matters in their different offices and villages.

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=News-images/Women_Attire_Nnewi_269124969.jpg&size=article_small[/img]

Somebody was antagonizing me and condemning my direction that Igbo women in government should not murder caution on the altar of stardom, but rather should respect their various families and husbands and the cultures and traditions of Ndi’Igbo. My antagonizer said, “Well, what do we expect to hear from an Igbo man than to condemn his Igbo women for standing out even with or without their husbands awareness? And all that bla bla bla.

The other person said that I was right. That a woman, not only from the Igbo extraction, must respect her husband and the cultures and traditions of her paternal and matrimonial homes even if she is the president of the country. And also, even though she holds all the degrees the world universities can offer. The person also added that, that a woman is a professor or a PhD holder does not make her wise. The woman may be knowledgeable, but failure to apply her knowledge in a practical way makes the woman unwise. Wisdom has been said to be the ability to utilise knowledge and experience in a practical way. So, when a woman does not respect her husband and the family and cultures and traditions she comes from because she is in the government, she has woefully failed, and at the same time portraying her husband's headship as irrelevant to her.

Another person said that I hit the nail on the head. And reiterated that hardly does any perceived educated Igbo woman respects her brothers, boyfriend, husband, cultures and traditions. But it is high time Igbo men shouted down on their women. The person said that all these Nna boy anwugo women which are typical of Igbo women and their craft should be exposed.

Is it known by other Nigerians that Igbo society is a matriarchy? The men may not subscribe to that. But, are they not trying to prove it to the world? If you read the articles written by an Igbo woman, you will think that Igbomen are like the apple skinned people that kill their wives. When an Igbo woman insulted Zik, by calling him Ogbaoso 1, could any Yoruba woman have said such a thing to Awo? Was the woman not Awo's running mate?

But when Danjuma insulted Ironsi, he was challenged by his people that no one talks down on the dead. However, go to Kwenu.com and see what an Igbo woman said about the Owelle of Onitsha, a dead Igbo legend and patriarch. Is it longer a hidden event that in Igbo families women are running the show and if you contest it with your wife you are a dead man? Are Igbo women the most and only educated women in Nigeria? Yoruba women are even educated than, if statistics is taken. From where did this open eye come from among Igbo women?
Is it true that in some political meetings that men from other tribes handle the fleshy bulbs of Igbo women in attendance at any slight chance they get and tell them to report to the press, and also tell them that they are not Igbo men that they "Igbo women" run over and insult? How true is the allegation? I do not know. But, is it not something to think about? Has Nigeria figured that to denigrate Igbo men, by using Igbo women to represent the men? Does it not worth it that Igbo people should be exposing any Igbo woman “hustler” for who she is and forget giving her all these glory and accolades because she is in the government?
Ask other Nigerian women their opinion or perception of Igbo women, you have earful. Is it not surprising that if not for the intervention of families and in some cases the Ohanaeze Ndigbo that most of South-East governors would have been divorcees? Contrast it with governors of other cultures in Nigeria. It is wow!
Does Lagos State not have eight women to one man ratio of lawyers? If NdiIgbo have that ratio, wouldn't the Igbo women have upturned the culture of the race? Did one Igbo elite not say that culture is a word for subjugation of not only the women but that culture should be fought at every corner?
Have Igbo women not refused to enforce Igbo Language wherever they are to their children since they are closer to the children? But rather, they preferred speaking grammar, because they are learned.
Imagine that during a symposium in Imo State by the most revered Igbo novelist, one "PhD" Igbo lady got up the stage and was shouting and calling the novelist a sexist for writing a novel that Igbo women are told what the Igbo cultures and traditions are and no Igbo man or woman shouted the lady down?

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/53233-Are-Igbo-Women-the-most-educated-Nigeria.html
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by AloyEmeka5: 9:54pm On Aug 11, 2010
Why must Nigerian and mostly Yoruba journalists always compare and contrast Igbo and Yoruba?. The slowpoke who wrote this article should have conveyed his message without making a comparison with Yoruba men and women . And which one do we believe: Igbo men are very stubborn and suppress their women like we recently discussed or that Igbo women are very stubborn and suppress their men as this article portrays. One thing for sure is that at least one of the statements is not true because they are mutually exclusive.

Imagine that during a symposium in Imo State by the most revered Igbo novelist, one "PhD" Igbo lady got up the stage and was shouting and calling the novelist a sexist for writing a novel that Igbo women are told what the Igbo cultures and traditions are and no Igbo man or woman shouted the lady down?

Somebody is actually advocating for a society to disrespect their women by shouting them down in 2010. No wonder Ghana is progressing more than Nigeria because we are clearly retrogressive.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA(f): 10:44pm On Aug 11, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Why must Nigerian and mostly Yoruba journalists always compare and contrast Igbo and Yoruba?. The slowpoke who wrote this article should have conveyed his message without making a comparison with Yoruba men and women . And which one do we believe: Igbo men are very stubborn and suppress their women like we recently discussed or that Igbo women are very stubborn and suppress their men as this article portrays. One thing for sure is that at least one of the statements is not true because they are mutually exclusive.

Somebody is actually advocating for a society to disrespect their women by shouting them down in 2010. No wonder Ghana is progressing more than Nigeria because we are clearly retrogressive.

hmmmmm why compare Yoruba and Igbo. . . wait, why bring Ghana into this? why compare and contrast Nigerian and Ghana?
by force?
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 3:21am On Aug 12, 2010
igbo culture has roles for both sexes.having lived in yorubaland,i sometimes wondered why they greeted more than required and seemed so respectful to their men in the open.i think all nigerian culture is patrilineal with exceptions in only nembe(bayelsa) and ogbo-igbo(abia).as a christian,the bible clearly identifies the man as the head.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

[size=14pt]Are Igbo Women the most educated in Nigeria?[/size]
Home | Headlines | Are Igbo Women the most educated in Nigeria?
Font size: Published 11/08/2010 01:10:00 NFC

Is it true that in some political meetings that men from other tribes handle the fleshy bulbs of Igbo women in attendance at any slight chance they get and tell them to report to the press, and also tell them that they are not Igbo men that they "Igbo women" run over and insult? How true is the allegation? I do not know. But, is it not something to think about? Has Nigeria figured that to denigrate Igbo men, by using Igbo women to represent the men? Does it not worth it that Igbo people should be exposing any Igbo woman “hustler” for who she is and forget giving her all these glory and accolades because she is in the government?
Ask other Nigerian women their opinion or perception of Igbo women, you have earful. Is it not surprising that if not for the intervention of families and in some cases the Ohanaeze Ndigbo that most of South-East governors would have been divorcees? Contrast it with governors of other cultures in Nigeria. It is wow!
Does Lagos State not have eight women to one man ratio of lawyers? If NdiIgbo have that ratio, wouldn't the Igbo women have upturned the culture of the race? Did one Igbo elite not say that culture is a word for subjugation of not only the women but that culture should be fought at every corner?
Have Igbo women not refused to enforce Igbo Language wherever they are to their children since they are closer to the children? But rather, they preferred speaking grammar, because they are learned.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/53233-Are-Igbo-Women-the-most-educated-Nigeria.html

Igbo men playing the victim, as usual. The 'fleshy bulbs' are hilarious though grin really fleshy bulbs grin grin
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by EzeUche22(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2010
Igbo women are too educated for their own good! angry
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Nchara: 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2010
Abagworo

Which one is Ogbo-Igbo? And yes, Igbo women are the most educated in Nigeria.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 9:02pm On Aug 12, 2010
Nchara:

Abagworo

Which one is Ogbo-Igbo? And yes, Igbo women are the most educated in Nigeria.
I think Ogbo people are Abiriba, Abam and Ohafia people. Ogbo or Ogbonna is a common name found in every family out there, hence the name Ndi Ogbo. Am I right Abagworo?.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Ifygurl: 6:53am On Aug 13, 2010
EzeUche22:

Igbo women are too educated for their own good! angry

What does that even mean?
Is now a bad thing to be educated abi?
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Ifygurl: 6:56am On Aug 13, 2010
See this is why i don't like reading anything written by a Nigerian journalist. They are so idiotic. They are just like our government
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 9:50am On Aug 13, 2010
Ifygurl:

Is [/b]now a bad thing to be educated abi?

Well, in [b]YOUR
case, no its not! Seeing as you dont know when to replace "It's" with "Is"!
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by marcus1234: 9:51am On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 6:02pm On Aug 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I think Ogbo people are Abiriba, Abam and Ohafia people. Ogbo or Ogbonna is a common name found in every family out there, hence the name Ndi Ogbo. Am I right Abagworo?.

Yes you are right.they are called ogbo because they have a culture of name recycling.for example the son of orji kalu orji will go by kalu orji kalu while the grandson will be orji kalu orji.ogbo means namesake.any of the children that bears the fathers name is called ogbonna as well.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Ifygurl: 8:45am On Aug 14, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Well, in YOUR case, no its not! Seeing as you dont know when to replace "It's" with "Is"!

Are you Ezeuche? Did I address you in anyway in that comment? Aww bk.babe97y I know how much you love fighting so I‘m not going to give you that satisfaction, unlike you i actually have life and it’s not filled with anger like yours. I do have a question though, Do you even know what a typo is?  Can you detect a typo in a sentence?  That tribal obsessed brain of yours, is it filled with stupidity as well?  undecided

BTW. I have a favor to ask you?  Can you please avoid me as much as you can in this site?  I do not like you, I hate tribal obsessed morons like you with every inch of my existence hence the reason I can't stand you. You actually make me sick to my stomach.  I pray to God I never meet you in real life.  I try my best to ignore you, so please do me a favor and ignore me as well. I don’t even what to know you exist so please If I’m not talking to you, which will be 100% of my time in this site, please do not reply.  Thank you.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Harima: 8:57am On Aug 14, 2010
Ifygurl:

BTW. I have a favor to ask you? Can you please avoid me as much as you can in this site? I do not like you, I hate tribal obsessed morons like you with every inch of my existence hence the reason I can't stand you. You actually make me sick to my stomach. I pray to God I never meet you in real life. I try my best to ignore you, so please do me a favor and ignore me as well. I don’t even what to know you exist so please If I’m not talking to you, which will be 100% of my time in this site, please do not reply. Thank you.

shocked shocked Evil grin grin.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Ifygurl: 9:10am On Aug 14, 2010
Harima:

I'm not trying to be mean or evil. I can't stand the African-American/Latino/Nigerian/Boy/Girl/whatever else he or she has claimed. I've talked to him or her or whoever before but even then he or she grossed me out. It's like ewwwwww. It seems he or she can't tell i don't like him or her. I was just speaking my mind. E be like say i dey lie? Na truth i dey tok now. It's not evil. I said please and thank you. LOL. I was polite LOL. I'm nice sha, not evil. "sweet grin"
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 10:34am On Aug 14, 2010
Harima:

Don't be silly, your mere 8 posts is not enough to know that Ify is right. iidiot.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2010
Igbo women are better educated relative to their men. finis. the igbo man believes in cash, i guess that goes hand-in-hand with being jewish and all that.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 2:23pm On Aug 14, 2010
ziddy:

Igbo women are better educated relative to their men. finis. the igbo man believes in cash, i guess that goes hand-in-hand with being jewish and all that.

I guess your aim here is to use the nigerian method of divide and rule but I may tell you this.igbos have relatively advanced gender tolerance and therefore value the girl child.it is not a sin if more girls in igbo are well read.to avoid arguments just visit the jamb website and calculate female intakes as against male intakes.
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2010
Ifygurl:

I'm not trying to be mean or evil.  I can't stand the African-American/Latino/Nigerian/Boy/Girl/whatever else he or she has claimed.  I've talked to him or her or whoever before but even then he or she grossed me out.  It's like ewwwwww.  It seems he or she can't tell i don't like him or her.  I was just speaking my mind.  E be like say i dey lie?  Na truth i dey tok now. It's not evil.  I said please and thank you.  LOL.  I was polite LOL. I'm nice sha, not evil.  "sweet grin"

Typical Ibo ho, retorts but tells me to shut up! Like I tell your brothers, u (likely) hairy chested/ hairy legged ho: FUXCK YOU! You didnt "talk" to me in the past: u attacked me with your Ibo foolishness and I annihilated u, u slut! Lucky for u most of my posts got deleted, thats how bad the mods felt for u! So, wut the hell are u now saying (in your thick Ibo accent) ". . . I've talked to him b4. . . .It's seems he/she cant tell I dont like him"! Dumb biyytch! Our one and only convo, u came out swinging; I broke your arm and jaw in the process, am I still expected to have any illusions about your feelings u she-goat?!lol Anyhow, whenever I feel like I'll come after you; choose to ignore me. . . . the choice is urs! You should never have come at me in the first place!

P.S: By the way, u and I know that wasnt a typo! U wrote how u talk. . . .But ure Ibo, so its expected that u'll lie thru your teeth!
Re: Are Igbo Women The Most Educated In Nigeria? by odumchi: 6:11pm On Aug 16, 2010
Yes Igbo women are the most educated in Nigeria. This is true because Christianity advocates truth and progress and unlike Hausa ane Yoruba culture, Igbo culture adapts as times change unlike in the North people are in bondage due to Islam and Boko Haram. B4 Igbo women were called oriaku (cloth or money eater) now it is oso abpata (fellow producer) grin

(1) (Reply)

Flash Back To Primary School Days / Uniben's Freshers' Hook Up Zone!!! / FREE ICAN Video Lectures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.