Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,179 members, 7,780,250 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:18 AM

Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset (1409 Views)

Presidential Candidates Back Suspension Of Onnoghen / Dele Momodu On Buhari Suspension Of Onnoghen: 'Our President Has Done It Again' / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 5:00pm On Jan 13, 2019
In view of the obvious persecution of the CJN..obvious persecution because the petition against him was received just this 8th January and in just 3 days, investigation has been concluded and everything ready to put him on trial on Monday, 14th January. This seems a wicked plot, carefully hatched to embarrass and remove the CJN...

As a world-class accountant, I can tell you for free that mere ownership of a bank account is not an asset. It is pertinent to clarify that mere ownership of a bank account is not an asset worthy of declaration:

1. There is nothing to declare if the account has a zero balance
2. it is actually a liability and not an asset if the account has a debit balance (i.e. an overdrawn balance)
3. it is also not asset if whatever balance is held in the account belongs to another party other than the account holder

Interpretations must be in context. The name of the form is ASSET Declaration Form. If an account is not an asset, it follows that it doesn't fall within the purview of accounts that should be declared
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by troubleboi: 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2019
Thieves every corner for this country... Even CJN of the federal Republic..

4 Likes

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by haladadon: 5:05pm On Jan 13, 2019
guy just wait till tomorrow, we go table the matter

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by haladadon: 5:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
troubleboi:

what did he steal? prove it or forever remain shut.
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 5:07pm On Jan 13, 2019
troubleboi:

The CJN is not being accusing of stealing, they only say he did not declare all accounts. In their ignorance however, they do not know that mere ownership of a bank account is not necessarily an asset

2 Likes

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by amaechi1: 5:10pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:
In view of the obvious persecution of the CJN..obvious persecution because the petition against him was received just this 8th January and in just 3 days, investigation has been concluded and everything ready to put him on trial on Monday, 14th January. This seems a wicked plot, carefully hatched to embarrass and remove the CJN...

As a world-class accountant, I can tell you for free that mere ownership of a bank account is not an asset. It is pertinent to clarify that mere ownership of a bank account is not an asset worthy of declaration:

1. There is nothing declare if the account has a zero balance
2. it is actually a liability and not an asset if the account has a debit balance (i.e. an overdrawn balance)
3. it is also not asset if whatever balance is held in the account belongs to another party other than the account holder

Why did he declear the other two account if an account is not an asset?
Please, don't teach this to your children.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by amaechi1: 5:12pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

The CJN is not being accusing of stealing, they only say he did not declare all accounts. In their ignorance however, they do not know that mere ownership of a bank account is not necessarily an asset

Why did he declare two accounts in his asset declaration form.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by amaechi1: 5:14pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Why did he declare two accounts in his asset declaration form. But did you actually type this?

4 Likes

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 5:16pm On Jan 13, 2019
amaechi1:

Why did he declear the other two account if an account is not an asset?
Please, don't teach this to your children.

two factors determine whether an account is asset or not:
- whether the account has a credit or debit balance
- ownership of the account balance
E.g. Money in my account is not an asset to me if it is only in my account but is actually owned by my friend

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by KingsCity: 5:29pm On Jan 13, 2019
And Yes, public officers are only required to declare assets not bank accounts
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by KingsCity: 5:30pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

two factors determine whether an account is asset or not:
- whether the account has a credit or debit balance
- ownership of the account balance
E.g. Money in my account is not an asset to me if it is only in my account but is actually owned by my friend

Of course, if my account balance is not an asset, I dont have declare it

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by muykem: 5:53pm On Jan 13, 2019
You guys are so blind with nonsense politics. The man involved admit that it was an error and you are still saying all these. We should commend the whistle blower and forgive CJN if it finds to be honest error.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 5:57pm On Jan 13, 2019
muykem:
You guys are so blind with nonsense politics. The man involved admit that it was an error and you are still saying all these. We should commend the whistle blower and forgive CJN if it finds to be honest error.

The CJN may have responded in a haste. Every reasonable defense is welcome cause the petition is in bad faith
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by seunmsg(m): 6:00pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Have you ever filled an asset declaration form before? If you have not, kindly stop posting ignorantly. When I declared my assets to CCB last year, I filled a form provided by the bureau. In the form, there was a column where I was asked to list all my bank accounts with their balances as at the time of declaration. Even if the account was overdrawn as at the time of making the declaration, the declarant is under legal obligation to declare it.

Funny enough, Onnoghe is not even arguing ignorantly like the op. He admitted on record that he forgot to declare his domiciliary account with standard Chartered bank. Some of you really need to stop defending nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by MadamExcellency: 6:01pm On Jan 13, 2019
But it is required to be listed under Assets Declaration Form
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by hardywaltz(m): 6:04pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

The CJN may have responded in a haste. Every reasonable defense is welcome cause the petition is in bad faith
U make the CJN look like a secondary school dropout.

The CJN is the most senior judicial officer in the land and has the legal requirements at the back of his palms.

I know most of u haven't seen a CCB form in ur live so I will excuse ur ignorance when u say bank account is not an asset.

You can go to the 5th schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Republic as amended to get clarifications

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 6:06pm On Jan 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Have you ever filled an asset declaration form before? If you have not, kindly stop posting ignorantly. When I declared my assets to CCB last year, I filled a form provided by the bureau. In the form, there was a column where I was asked to list all my bank accounts with their balances as at the time of declaration. Even if the account was overdrawn as at the time of making the declaration, the declarant is under legal obligation to declare it.

Funny enough, Onnoghe is not even arguing ignorantly like the op. He admitted on record that he forgot to declare his domiciliary account with standard Chartered bank. Some of you really need to stop defending nonsense.

Yes I have filled asset declaration before. I know there is an account I opened during NYSC, I also know there is no money there, so I didnt bother to declare it. Did I commit a crime?

Whether he forgot or not, that he did not declare the account is not necessarily a crime! Things must be interpreted in context, the name of the form is ASSET Declaration Form, so if an account is not an asset, it doesnt fall within the purview of accounts to be declared

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by gare(f): 6:10pm On Jan 13, 2019
[quote author=troubleboi post=74726659]Thieves every corner for this country... Even CJN of the federal Republic.. [/quote your money de miss
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by gare(f): 6:11pm On Jan 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Have you filled one yourself, have you even seen one
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by Guestlander: 6:12pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

What is it if you own the account and the credit balance in it? Say, a few million dollars?

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 6:16pm On Jan 13, 2019
Guestlander:

What is it if you own the account and the credit balance in it? Say, a few million dollars?

It would be an asset that should be declared.

But there is no mention of the account balance and the ownership.
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by Guestlander: 6:19pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

It would be an asset that should be declared

Thank you very much. And what happens if you deliberately omit, withhold or " forget" to include this information?
Please pardon my ignorance, I just like to learn.

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 6:34pm On Jan 13, 2019
Guestlander:

Thank you very much. And what happens if you deliberately omit, withhold or " forget" to include this information?
Please pardon my ignorance, I just like to learn.

It is quite possible for a human being to forget something.

In this case, the right thing to do would be to take time to investigate the source of the funds into the accounts that were not declared. It must be established that the funds in the account are proceeds of crime before the CJN is charged. Merely forgetting to declare an account is not necessarily a crime

If the money in those accounts are not proceeds of crime, it doesnt make any reasonable sense to charge the CJN. In no case should the CJN be charged in a haste because doing that will ridicule the office of the CJN and the entire Judiciary.

1 Like

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by Guestlander: 6:37pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

It is quite possible for a human being to forget something.

In this case, the right thing to do would be to take time to investigate the source of the funds into the accounts that were not declared. It must be established that the funds in the account are proceeds of crime before the CJN is charged

If the money in those accounts are not proceeds of crime, it doesnt make any reasonable sense to charge the CJN. In no case should the CJN be charged in a haste because doing that will ridicule the office of the CJN and the entire Judiciary.

You are absolutely right, I will never support a situation in which a citizen is being hounded for no reason. But on the hand also, I won't also support a situation where individuals are protected from the law because of their position.
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by seunmsg(m): 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Yes I have filled asset declaration before. I know there is an account I opened during NYSC, I also know there is no money there, so I didnt bother to declare it. Did I commit a crime?

Whether he forgot or not, that he did not declare the account is not necessarily a crime!

Hiding one of your account from the law is a crime.

Hope you know that when you complete an asset declaration form, you still need to take it before a commissioner for oaths where you will swear that all the information provided (including all your bank accounts) are accurate? When you fail to declare an account, you have simply lied to the government. It becomes bad when years later, that same account was discovered with huge foreign currencies. We now know why he failed to declare the account in the first instance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 6:46pm On Jan 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Hope you know that when you complete an asset declaration form, you still need to take it before a commissioner for oaths where you will swear that all the information provided (including all your bank accounts) are accurate? When you fail to declare an account, you have simply lied to the government. It becomes bad when years later, that same account was discovered with huge foreign currencies. We now know why he failed to declare the account in the first instance.

what is the balance in those accounts?
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by Guestlander: 6:51pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Actually my brother, the balances in these accounts are irrelevant. If the form asks you to list your accounts and the balances therein, that is what you should do even if you have zero dollars in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by seunmsg(m): 6:51pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Even if it is overdrawn, declare it.

2 Likes

Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by megacity: 6:57pm On Jan 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Even if it is overdrawn, declare it.

Interpretations must be in context. The name of the form is ASSET Declaration Form. If an account is not an asset, it follows that it doesnt fall within the purview of accounts that should be declared

It must be established if an account is an asset or not to determine if it should have been included in the ASSET Declaration Form.
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by PaChukwudi44(m): 6:58pm On Jan 13, 2019
seunmsg:

It is not a crime if he later writes to the CCB to update his accounts
Re: Persecution of Onnoghen: Ownership Of A Bank Account Is Not An Asset by seunmsg(m): 7:08pm On Jan 13, 2019
megacity:

Interpretations must be in context. The name of the form is ASSET Declaration Form. If an account is not an asset, it follows that it doesnt fall within the purview of accounts that should be declared

My friend, nobody opens an account with the intention of keeping it as a liability. You open an account with the intention to store financial assets in it. That an account has a nil balance or overdrawn temporarily at a point in time doesn’t make it irrelevant when you are required to legally list your bank accounts. The fact that money was later later discovered in the account says it all. Even Onnoghe’s legal counsel won’t argue the point you are trying to argue.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Gbajabiamila The US Convicted Felon Become Speaker? / Fani Kayode's Wife Attends COZA Despite Rape Allegations.(photos) / Going Nationwide Road Construction By FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.