Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,481 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Why Your Uncle Who Promised You A Job After Graduation Now Refuses To Pick Your - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Your Uncle Who Promised You A Job After Graduation Now Refuses To Pick Your (697 Views)

Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Your Uncle Who Promised You A Job After Graduation Now Refuses To Pick Your by mollie12: 6:56pm On Jan 13, 2019
Every now and then, you hear of a Nigerian youth who is mad at their uncle/parent's friend/elder brother's friend because they promised to hook them up with job opportunities after graduation, and have now gone into hiding.

Most young people do not know what to make of these broken promises, and have become bitter.

Now I do not know you, and I do not know your uncle, but I know one very strong reason why your uncle is dodging your calls.

He doesn't know what YOU want.

I know many undergrads (and I did this as well), who during the congratulatory graduation chats answered the question of "Now, what kind of job are you looking for?" with "Any kind of job will do."

Any kind of work? What does that even mean?!?

This kind of answer confuses even the most well-meaning of people. Any job could be a blue-collar job like facility management, or an administrative position, or a personal assistant, or an executive. It could also be in any industry - and there are myriads of industries.

Your uncle will surely back away in fear that he might waste his goodwill in helping you secure an interview that you do not show up for because "This is not the industry I am interested in". Or that you may report him to your parents out of offense that he set you up for a job interview for a role you believe is beneath your standards.

And here is the biggest issue with "Any work will do"...it simply gives the brain no place to start. Your uncle is most likely not an undergraduate recruiter and thus has no clue what your expectations are for the job market. Trust me - three years in any workplace, and you will have lost touch with the career expectations (salary, progression opportunities, etc) of an average fresh undergraduate. So where does your poor uncle (who is probably 5-10 years in) want to start from?

Dear Nigerian graduate, your uncle is not a professional recruiter. Help him to help you by being clear about what you want. Have your pitch ready at all times, and let everyone around you (parents, dog, pastor, neighbors) know who you are and what you want. Even the most shady of uncles will remember your pitch when the hour arises, if it is crystal clear and it fits into a need.

Need help identifying what career will allow you to fulfil your passions, and gain the livelihood you need? Wonder how to position yourself for the job you desire? Check out theCareerChic on chicsdomain.com

2 Likes

Re: Why Your Uncle Who Promised You A Job After Graduation Now Refuses To Pick Your by JiwoXXX(f): 10:09am On Jan 14, 2019
This is so true- being specific about making one's job request def' makes the it easier for someone to help. The "Uncle" also gets the impression that you are serious and intelligent enough to follow through when the job recruitment actually starts. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Agip Exploration Limited (NAE) 2019/2020 Post-graduates Scholarships / Meet The First Woman To Lead A U.S. Army Infantry Division / Make 40% Percent Of Your Investment Monthly (forex Trading)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.