Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

What Is a "scam" in auto repair? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is a "scam" in auto repair? (7728 Views)

Best Lexus Auto Repair In Lagos Recommendations / Fixing The Madness In Nigeria's Auto Repair Industry / These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:24am On Jan 15, 2019
nurey:
Scam in auto repairs is when I bring a Nissan GTR Nismo to your workshop for repairs and leave with a Volvo (very odd looking vehicular object) tongue

Nah joke ooo

grin grin
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by nnamdibig(m): 7:07am On Jan 15, 2019
radautoworks:
So I log on today and there a LOT of mud-slinging about pricing!! My question is a simple one.:

1) what percentage profit do you think it is fair for a mechanic/parts seller to make on parts?

2) how much do you think it is fair for a mechanic to make on labor?

I'll go one step further. Assume the part cost the seller and/or mechanic N1,000.

The answer the two questions
1) The percentage of profit that is fair depends on mainly environment and location. I mechanic/parts seller in Taraba cannot sell same price for a mechanic/part seller in Lagos for a part brought in through Lagos port. A mechanic/part seller who owns a shop in Lekki(with obvious higher rent and and sofisticated cars around him) cannot charge same with mechanic/part seller lets say on changing break pads or engine oil. So to me environment and location matters.

2) As for the amount in labour, in most cases, a sofisticated worship with fixed prices for every job done did so after considering sent, power, salary of staffs, profit and the rest(this I believe), But for a road side mechanic, the labour should be based on what both parties agreed.

Knowledge is not cheap.

4 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by valarinz: 8:03am On Jan 15, 2019
radautoworks:

Valarinz, I swear I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing with you.

Jeez , missed that. That's some uppercut mhen!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by valarinz: 8:06am On Jan 15, 2019
nurey:
Scam in auto repairs is when I bring a Nissan GTR Nismo to your workshop for repairs and leave with a Volvo (very odd looking vehicular object) tongue

Nah joke ooo

Boss, I'll open my own thread and narrate how you scammed me, collecting 250k to change ordinary maf sensor for me. Same stuff that I later found out was sold for 5k at ladipo.

Watch out!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by SpaceAngel: 8:26am On Jan 15, 2019
radautoworks:
So I log on today and there a LOT of mud-slinging about pricing!! My question is a simple one.:

1) what percentage profit do you think it is fair for a mechanic/parts seller to make on parts?

2) how much do you think it is fair for a mechanic to make on labor?

I'll go one step further. Assume the part cost the seller and/or mechanic N1,000.

For me, scam is when I'm assured of fixing a car, I pay and the mechanic fails to deliver. The cost of parts depends on where the technician buys from and that determines the way each one fixes his price. If i price, and feel I'm not able to pay, I take my leave.

6 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:05am On Jan 15, 2019
SpaceAngel:

For me, scam is when I'm assured of fixing a car, I pay and the mechanic fails to deliver. The cost of parts depends on where the technician buys from and that determines the way each one fixes his price. If i price, and feel I'm not able to pay, I take my leave.

Simple. I tell you my problems, you give me a quote, I pay. The only scam is if you fail to solve my problems. Price isn't the issue at all. If your quote isn't within my budget, I look elsewhere; it's an open market.

8 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:32am On Jan 15, 2019
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by Kashif(m): 9:43am On Jan 15, 2019
A mug of draught Heineken will not sell at the same price as a mug of same Heineken poured from a bottle.

I am sure we know the difference. Let us not even compare that with say, Hero beer. No disrespect!

The same part will cost differently from seller to seller, depending on seller's supplier, overhead, brand, marketing skill, etc. If you now throw variety into the mix, a lot come into play. The same applies to labour. The important thing is quality, and standing by it! How many tree shed guys will refund your money if they are wrong without law enforcement guys' involvement?

A bottle of Hennessy XO will buy a carton of Hennessy VS and still have some balance. If you don't know the difference, you will call the XO seller a thief!

4 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by radautoworks: 9:50am On Jan 15, 2019
I'm still stuck on the statement that it is unethical to add anything on top for parts and looking for arguments both for and against this.

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:59am On Jan 15, 2019
radautoworks:
I'm still stuck on the statement that it is unethical to add anything on top for parts and looking for arguments both for and against this.

That's where mechanics make a significant portion of the money. It's less a case of them charging people higher, and more of them buying lower than market prices. They can give you the money to buy it yourself and you definitely will not be able to buy that same part at the prices they quote.

It is what it is.

This is a country where people will always try to short-change those in the service industry. It's why I will never, ever take on Nigerian clients.

When the culture lends itself to downplaying labor costs, the service men have to make their money from another channel. It's a morally grey area but it's one I can come to terms with.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by Kashif(m): 10:22am On Jan 15, 2019
radautoworks:

It depends.

If I stock those parts, there will be markup (JIT falls under this category). These should not be parts you would normally buy from the street corner. There should be "to me" cost and "to customer" cost.

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by jarkbauer: 10:31am On Jan 15, 2019
asamwababy:

There are car ownership schemes abroad and only few will pay outrightly for a car.

I used to be a loan shark and you see bankers on 100k a month buying a 2008 camry so what re you talking about.

If the British and Americans were buying cars they could not maintain would their be anything called Tokunbo vehicles.

How many tokunbo vehicles have been exported from Nigeria?

Sensible conversations this 2019 with no sentiments.

Car maintenance has never been cheap and no miracle with make it cheap except patronising kazeems.

Stop complaining about what the mechanics charge its a matter of choice,some Nigerians have no business owning cars simple.

Even the abroad you are shouting lots or people run away from dealership because they believe they are rip offs. Thats why there are lots of DIY videos online
People change Shocks DIY oil change is even very common.

You cant stop people from complaining because you feel its right to charge high. Even though I agree with that fact that Nigerians buy what they cant maintain.

This is why is support fuel subsidy removal. By the time you buy a litre at N250 you will buy smartforwo or Suzuki alto.

2 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by jarkbauer: 10:39am On Jan 15, 2019
Kashif:
A mug of draught Heineken will not sell at the same price as a mug of same Heineken poured from a bottle.

I am sure we know the difference. Let us not even compare that with say, Hero beer. No disrespect!

The same part will cost differently from seller to seller, depending on seller's supplier, overhead, brand, marketing skill, etc. If you now throw variety into the mix, a lot come into play. The same applies to labour. The important thing is quality, and standing by it! How many tree shed guys will refund your money if they are wrong without law enforcement guys' involvement?

A bottle of Hennessy XO will buy a carton of Hennessy VS and still have some balance. If you don't know the difference, you will call the XO seller a thief!

If your sell genuine Mobil 1 for 20k based on all the factors above. And another seller sells for 17k and are both genuine. The 17k guy will have more patronage. Prevailing market prices should also play a part.

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by sheffyUTD(m): 11:58am On Jan 15, 2019
A scam is when you charge 25k to correct door light indicator and beautifies it with jargon 'Electrical Works On door switch' when all you need is 1k rubber flap.

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:07pm On Jan 15, 2019
jarkbauer:

Even the abroad you are shouting lots or people run away from dealership because they believe they are rip offs. Thats why there are lots of DIY videos online

You cant stop people from complaining because you feel its right to charge high. Even though I agree with that fact that Nigerians buy what they cant maintain.

This is why is support fuel subsidy removal. By the time you buy a litre at N250 you will buy smartforwo or Suzuki alto .

It's in the workings, they are just waiting for election to be over wink

3 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by jarkbauer: 1:54pm On Jan 15, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

It's in the workings, they are just waiting for election to be over wink

Also in the workings is electricity price increase.
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:55pm On Jan 15, 2019
jarkbauer:

Also in the workings is electricity price increase.

yes o! As long as fuel is cheap, there is a limit to which electricity tariff will go. Mehn nah to upgrade my kia current solar power capacity cheesy.

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by weyreypey: 7:47pm On Jan 15, 2019
I am still wondering why a normal human being will carry his money to purchase a geely.... I mean Volvo... Common Volvo kwa!!

Valarinz just on my own o... But I dey with Nurey.

3 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by radautoworks: 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2019
jarkbauer:

This is why is support fuel subsidy removal. By the time you buy a litre at N250 you will buy smartforwo or Suzuki alto.

If really like to see who is doing shocks at home.... You'll put your eye out! Unless you are buying complete pre-assembled which someone willing to go through all that is probably not.
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by radautoworks: 8:30pm On Jan 15, 2019
sheffyUTD:
A scam is when you charge 25k to correct door light indicator and beautifies it with jargon 'Electrical Works On door switch' when all you need is 1k rubber flap.

Agreed

2 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by valarinz: 5:26am On Jan 16, 2019
weyreypey:
I am still wondering why a normal human being will carry his money to purchase a geely.... I mean Volvo... Common Volvo kwa!!

Valarinz just on my own o... But I dey with Nurey.

Volvo users are not normal human beings...theyre superhuman grin

4 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by Kashif(m): 7:42am On Jan 16, 2019
jarkbauer:

If your sell genuine Mobil 1 for 20k based on all the factors above. And another seller sells for 17k and are both genuine. The 17k guy will have more patronage. Prevailing market prices should also play a part.

For what it's worth, I wont stock what is easy to get everywhere like Mobil1, unless I ship in at competitive price.

That said, there is a reason joints sell same beer N250, bars N800/N1000, and clubs N3000 and more. All these sell to their customers.

In healthcare, some hospitals can sell you a card of paracetamol for 1.5K.

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by weyreypey: 8:19am On Jan 16, 2019
Kashif:

For what it's worth, I wont stock what is easy to get everywhere like Mobil1, unless I ship in at competitive price.

That said, there is a reason joints sell same beer N250, bars N800/N1000, and clubs N3000 and more. All these sell to their customers.

In healthcare, some hospitals can sell you a card of paracetamol for 1.5K.

Kashif please I need your whatsapp contact!
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by aninweze(m): 9:18am On Jan 16, 2019
nonen:

People saving for years to buy a car, and subsequently struggle to maintain it shouldn’t be seen as a problem. What we’re looking at here is mechanics taking advantage of such ones, while charging them exorbitant charges. In Europe, people also work for years and invest their savings in exotic cars, which they ride for a short while.

Your African Mentality stereotype is uncalled for in 2019

Visit mechanic shops and ask why a few of the cars gathering dust dere, are parked.

An issue which costs 15k is enough to ground a car in Nigeria. Things are hard.
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by aninweze(m): 9:29am On Jan 16, 2019
A scam is when you charge 25k to correct "rear doors not opening from inside", when the child protection lock must have been accidentally flicked while washing the Car.

grin

1 Like

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by Kashif(m): 10:25am On Jan 16, 2019
weyreypey:

Kashif please I need your whatsapp contact!

PM me
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by dapotemi: 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2019
Scam is highly relative; what u see as scam might just be *choice* to someone else.
But the truth is, whether you're a mech or biz man u want to make profit from your skills or your product or BOTH at the same TIME. That is not a scam, how much u make depend on so many factors.
I once had a biz (pls dont ask me which biz), and i charge you base on APPEARANCE; If u appear rich i charge u exorbitantly and most times client will pay with few or no complains, but some times i just charge little if u appear like the troublesome/broke ones, but not at a LOSS, i still MUST make my profit tho; so most times i use profit from client A to cover up deficit from client B.
For me, 99% of Nigerians (People i meet everyday) wants to charge or make 100% profit in whatever they are selling; even if its SKILLS.
Look at a scenerio, a mech was in his workshop from 8am till 5pm without no single customer, he's thinking about rent for the day, phcn/diesel, staff salary, hes not happy as expected; you showed up at 5:30pm and he wants to take everything he felt he has lost since morning from your pocket, immediately he jacked up his prices because he has bills to pay and you're the ONLY one for the day. Most Kazeems even do daily contribution(Akawo), so he wants to make his daily contribution from you alone. Is that a SCAM, I THINK ITS NOT; because you have a CHOICE! WALK AWAY! That is only if the car can still move tho. Lol
What we charge is strongly influenced by the nig system. It is easy to go out of biz.
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by radautoworks: 7:54pm On Jan 16, 2019
dapotemi:
Scam is highly relative; what u see as scam might just be *choice* to someone else.
But the truth is, whether you're a mech or biz man u want to make profit from your skills or your product or BOTH at the same TIME. That is not a scam, how much u make depend on so many factors.
I once had a biz (pls dont ask me which biz), and i charge you base on APPEARANCE; If u appear rich i charge u exorbitantly and most times client will pay with few or no complains, but some times i just charge little if u appear like the troublesome/broke ones, but not at a LOSS, i still MUST make my profit tho; so most times i use profit from client A to cover up deficit from client B.
For me, 99% of Nigerians (People i meet everyday) wants to charge or make 100% profit in whatever they are selling; even if its SKILLS.
Look at a scenerio, a mech was in his workshop from 8am till 5pm without no single customer, he's thinking about rent for the day, phcn/diesel, staff salary, hes not happy as expected; you showed up at 5:30pm and he wants to take everything he felt he has lost since morning from your pocket, immediately he jacked up his prices because he has bills to pay and you're the ONLY one for the day. Most Kazeems even do daily contribution(Akawo), so he wants to make his daily contribution from you alone. Is that a SCAM, I THINK ITS NOT; because you have a CHOICE! WALK AWAY! That is only if the car can still move tho. Lol
What we charge is strongly influenced by the nig system. It is easy to go out of biz.

I disagree with this. I think that is a scam. Your prices should be your prices regardless of appearance or whatever. It should be the same price for everyone you send IMO. Making bread off the back of that last guy is scamming him.

3 Likes

Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:06pm On Jan 16, 2019
radautoworks:

I disagree with this. I think that is a scam. Your prices should be your prices regardless of appearance or whatever. It should be the same price for everyone you send IMO. Making bread off the back of that last guy is scamming him.

Is it, though? Are we looking at this from a moral or technical/legal standpoint?
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:14pm On Jan 16, 2019
I once had a biz (pls dont ask me which biz), and i charge you base on APPEARANCE;

we should stick to the thread title, I am certain the biz in question is not auto repair.
Re: What Is a "scam" in auto repair? by radautoworks: 1:16am On Jan 17, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Is it, though? Are we looking at this from a moral or technical/legal standpoint?

Both. It's essentially price gouging and is illegal AND immoral

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Advocates Use Of Bicycles As Alternative Means Of Transport / Hybrids, Anyone? / Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.