Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government (45895 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Reacts As Buhari Suspends Onnoghen, Tells ‘biafra Family' What To Do / Walter Onnoghen; Photos Of Prosecution And Defence Teams At CCT As Trial Begins. / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Originality007: 4:22pm On Jan 14, 2019
Tundemuttee:
Let wait and see

grin grin

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Edoi(m): 4:22pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hmmm
Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by RZArecta2(m): 4:23pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pekele007:

Read and understand first.

.....He argued that only after the NJC has pronounced against such judicial officer could prosecuting agencies of the Federal Government proceed to initiate a criminal proceeding.
it's impossible to wake up someone pretending to be asleep, no need educating zombies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Vornic: 4:24pm On Jan 14, 2019
Of course they don't, the dullard is just over reaching
Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by aishapmbtoto: 4:24pm On Jan 14, 2019
Dead on arrival DOA

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Realdeals(m): 4:25pm On Jan 14, 2019
The issue is not about the CJN innocence but the morality of the President to approve the prosecution when his close associates are enmeshed in various corruption allegations.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Enemyofpeace: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2019
If only everybody would be bold enough like this and tell this government to go to hell

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by pavoda: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2019
Farcical trial

5 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by xcellencia(m): 4:27pm On Jan 14, 2019
'life' n diret as e dey hapun

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Osanoghodua1: 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:
u are not bigger than d law.u must face d music .u have being judging peoples case and u don want people to judge .I stand with buhari hundred percent on this one

Did you read to understand why he failed to show up at the tribunal? Am not against you supporting PMB who is a terrorist and the chief of corruption, but try to understand simple analogy before drawing a conclusion.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:
u are not bigger than d law.u must face d music .u have being judging peoples case and u don want people to judge .I stand with buhari hundred percent on this one

Let buhari charge him to court

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by YenYo: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
Buhari surround himself with "herdsmen" as advisers.

Buhari disgracing himself and his family of zombies since 13BC kiss

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by GIFTD: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hmmmm so our CJN has this kind of stuff and yet our judicial system is still backward. Na only when it touch them u go no say they sabi pass the white man. Mtcheew. Unpatriotic office holders. Spit to ur graves.
Tundemuttee:
The Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, on Monday, challenged the jurisdiction of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, sitting in Abuja, to try him over his alleged failure to declare his assets.

The CJN, who stalled his planned arraignment following his refusal to appear before the Justice Danladi Umar’s led three-member panel tribunal, was however represented by a consortium of 89 lawyers that comprised of 46 Senior Advocates of Nigeria.

The legal team, which was led by a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, and a former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN, told the tribunal that their appearance at the proceeding was “in protest.”

Olanipekun told the tribunal that the CJN has already filed a motion dated January 14, to challenge the jurisdiction of the tribunal to hear the charges FG levelled against him.

“My lord, we are not just challenging jurisdiction, we are even challenging the jurisdiction of this tribunal to even sniff that charge. We have served the Complainant/Respondent”, Olanipekun submitted.

Though the said motion was not moved, nevertheless, a member of the team who spoke to Vanguard on condition of anonymity, said the CJN would capitalise on FG’s failure to channel the petition against him, as well as the outcome of the investigation that was purportedly conducted on his assets declaration forms by the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, to the National Judicial Council, NJC, before it rushed the case to the CCT.

The CJN is contending that FG’s failure to abide by existing judicial precedent as encapsulated in a recent Appeal Court’s decision in Nganjiwa v Federal Republic of Nigeria (2017) LPELR-43391(CA), to the effect that any misconduct attached to the office and functions of a judicial officer, must first be reported to and handled by the NJC, pursuant to the provisions of the laws.

He argued that only after the NJC has pronounced against such judicial officer could prosecuting agencies of the Federal Government proceed to initiate a criminal proceeding.

Consequently, placing reliance on a recent decision of the CCT on a similar charge FG lodged against another Justice of the Supreme Court, Sylvester Ngwuta, the CJN’s legal team, maintained that FG’s decision to sideline the NJC, stripped the tribunal of its jurisdiction to entertain the instant case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2019/01/onnoghen-to-fg-youve-no-powers-to-try-me-at-cct/amp/

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Enemyofpeace: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:
zombie spotted
Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by henrysam(m): 4:30pm On Jan 14, 2019
Buhari, his ministers and his followers are mumu.
Let him put on the army uniform so that we can easily know we are dealing with dictator

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Cloud007: 4:31pm On Jan 14, 2019
pavoda:
My lord, we are not just challenging jurisdiction, we are even challenging the jurisdiction of this tribunal to even sniff that charge. We have served the Complainant/Respondent”, Olanipekun submitted.
that was a deep blow on the table cheesy

People against Rule of law be like... grin

3 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by hedonistic: 4:33pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:

Continue standing with Buhari. Spiritual trailer would emerge from nowhere and crush two of you idiots to death. Anuofia.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pekele007:

.....He argued that only after the NJC has pronounced against such judicial officer could prosecuting agencies of the Federal Governmen
t proceed to initiate a criminal proceeding.

Do you think he would make such pronouncement against himself being the head of NJC

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by ankpaone: 4:35pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pekele007:

.....He argued that only after the NJC has pronounced against such judicial officer could prosecuting agencies of the Federal Government proceed to initiate a criminal proceeding.
he cannot be adjudge in your own case.. you are the chairman of njc!

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Pruwa: 4:36pm On Jan 14, 2019
It is not about whether the CJN is corrupt or not
There is what will call judicial precedence in law
The current rule is that the CJN must be tried by the NJC first

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Ziggylady(f): 4:36pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:

You clearly do not know the law if you do,you would know the CJN is speaking from the angle of the law. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by baganas: 4:36pm On Jan 14, 2019
YenYo:
Buhari surround himself with "herdsmen" as advisers.

Buhari disgracing himself and his family of zombies since 13BC kiss
This case hasn't even started but some people seem to be celebrating victory. My submission is that corruption should be fought.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by anjowaka510(m): 4:37pm On Jan 14, 2019
hisexcellency34:
The rubbish FG did with that Afonja man called Justice Ayo Salami, they think they can try it with this man
They have different case entirely bro.

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Vickwinners: 4:37pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:

Do you even know the law you're talking about?

Did you read the part that said the CCB has no right to even sniff the charge sheet?

There are what we call procedural rules when it comes to litigation and legal practice. So despite all your sentiments, nothing is gonna happen until due process is followed.

4 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by bixton(m): 4:39pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pekele007:

Let's watch how the FG intends to play it out. There's a loop hole in the existing law.
The CJN is the chairman of the NJC and by extension cannot be the judge of his own case as well as other members of the council.

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by AntiWailer: 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pekele007:

Who is the chairman of NJC ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by yesloaded: 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:
please ask any sound lawyer around you to explain to you what Nigeria constitution says on issue like this

CCT has zero power to probe him

2 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by toolovely(m): 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
Abfinest007:

my problem with all these i stand with buhari is that, if tomorrow, if another president suppresses the rule of law, they will be the first people to shout foul. remember that buhari will never be president for life. a procedure to try a sitting judge has been stipulated and you want to bye pass that? is that act on its own corruption?

1 Like

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by abcnike: 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
anyhow angry
Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by hedonistic: 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
ferventchamp:
Buhari has shot himself in the foot before the first shot in the duel has gone off.

What is the rationale in waiting till less than two months to a general election before going after the head of the judiciary?

Even Mobutu Sese Seko and Idi Amin would not have dared...

You assume that the cabal of crude Fulani savages who constitute the presidency have common sense, decency and finesse. They don't!

These are stone-hearted abokki, cold-blooded 'advanced' Herdsmen who are close minded and parochial. By an accident of providence they found themselves in power. That's why they're wielding that accidental power like a fat kid in a candy store - with a crudeness and thoughtlessness that matches or even exceeds Idi Amin Dada of Uganda.

5 Likes

Re: You’ve No Powers To Try Me At CCT - Onnoghen Tells Federal Government by Ogaga87(m): 4:42pm On Jan 14, 2019
House of executive foolishness that thought Nigerians were sleeping..

If the President does not understand the implication of bypassing the NJC, what about the VP, attorney of the federation and their voiceful Keyamo, does this act of unambiguous stupidity of national level point to the fact that men of uncapped integrity are desperate of clinching power by all means..?

Those who believed that National Interest should supersede Rule of Law will see how their unmitigated foolishness gets disappointed in this one

It is an appalling excitement to see that a Messiah that has been given an opportunity for three years could not lead the campaign train of the country for reasons of obscure level of emphasized achievements...

February 16 is the day of emancipation

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘I Once Sold Bread,’ Makinde Gives Reason For Not Chasing Traders Off The Street / The Men Who Helped Abacha Launder $23 Million Recently Recovered By UK / Olusegun Agagu's Son Survived Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.