Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,474 members, 7,781,381 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:30 PM

5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback (446 Views)

Between Jet Li And Jackie Chan Who Is/was A Better Actor And Realistic? / How To Write A Movie Script. Help Needed!!! / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback by sosa993: 7:26pm On Jan 14, 2019
I've read a lot of stories, some from unpublished writers like myself, and I must say one of their biggest mistakes is the use of writing effective flashbacks.

Either they don't just go well with the scene or they've played out too long, or they don't advance the story. So, here are tips to write a flashback that adds .

1. Flashbacks don't just happen, find a trigger to ignite a flashback.

Think about when you are pulled into a memory. Does it just happen? Something must've triggered that memory.

What if your character's dad died in a particular hospital and then she walked by that hospital one day? It could trigger a memory. Think, think, think. A choking perfume might trigger your character's memory. What if your character was once kidnapped by someone with that same scent of perfume?

The fact that the flashback can be so easily triggered also lets the reader know that its content is important. It can be a great way to add depth to your novel.

2. Find a trigger to pull your character back to the present.

Just like there needs to be a reason for your character to enter a flashback, he should be pulled back to the present for a reason as well.

Take for example, if your character remembers a time they were kidnapped, you can have someone tap them or have the sound of a slamming door in the present.

3. Keep it brief.

I'm sure there's a reason you pulled your character into a flashback. Make sure you don't spend too much time on the flashback. Get your point across and get us out of it. If readers have to go through pages and pages of backstory, they will wonder why you didn’t just incorporate the flashback into the greater time frame of the novel.

4. Make sure the flashback advances the story. Dont force your readers into a flashback just for fun. It should make sense and advance the story.

5. Use flashbacks once in a while.

A flashback should be used only when there is no other effective way to get an important piece of information across.

If you use too many, it begins to feel like you don't know how to tell a story.

They will ask questions on why you didn’t just incorporate the timeline of your flashback into the greater timeline of your story, or will be confused about the back and forth.

Hope this helps �

Tell me what you think.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 10, 2019
I think you're gifted.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback by amicable212(f): 2:43pm On Apr 11, 2019
Thanks...
Re: 5 Ways To Write A Better Flashback by sosa993: 11:20pm On Apr 25, 2019
Pinkberry5:
I think you're gifted.

Aww thank you wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Earn 10-50k Monthly For Posting In Jedun Forum. / A Literary Identity Essay / The Miserable Voice Of An Almajiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.