Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal (23526 Views)

US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia / EU, UK Agree On Brexit Deal (Photos) / PM Boris Johnson Promised Brexit Deal By 31 October, 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by nihilistjnr: 4:36am On Jan 16, 2019
jiddama:

They lack consensus because the entire "Brexit ideology" was concieved, birthed and campaigned to the masses based on lies and half truths....I could still remember vividly the day in 2016 when the referendum was passed, brexiteers won but they were confused a very scattered herd it seems their uniting factors were greed and hate undecided. People are seeing the bigger picture.

And I think it's hypocritical of UK to keep demanding brexit and not give Scotland, northern Ireland and the others a chance to break away, they won't even entertain the thought

Ermmm what?
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by abbeyty(m): 5:35am On Jan 16, 2019
If it was Nigeria the president will use money to buy the votes from the greedy law makers

3 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by sonature1: 5:54am On Jan 16, 2019
Lizzysamuel:
Watch The Moment Theresa May was defeated in the house of Commons HERE

If they will go for N0 BREXIT, then they must be fair by reinstating David Cameron to complete his tenure. Cameron, who is down to earth and smart, saw all this coming...And he quietly stepped aside.

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 6:01am On Jan 16, 2019
Wow
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Saintzykie: 6:05am On Jan 16, 2019
jiddama:

Brexit patriotic

Let me ask you, does it appeal to ethics and common sense that UK goes into an agreement with other European nations for decades enjoying the benefits of a single market , research and development , advancement in academia etc and contributing its qouta along with other partners according to economic strength , suddenly want to leave because they (as claimed by some politicians are sponsoring the union ,subsequently) are tired of contributing their qouta but still want to enjoy( soft brexit/ deal) all the goodies that came with the deal, they don't want a hard brexit( no deal) because they know it is tantamount to shooting themselves in the foot.

Brexit will bring down per capita income, cause inflation and essentially alienate UK from its neighbors and that's what is resonating with the MPs right now.

A referendum that was won by a slight margin (51.9%) and is opposed at every turn by a growing number.

If it was about sovereignty why would May lose by a margin of 230...in a voting session by members of parliament that are elected to protect those very interest?

Brexit was never sold honestly, all indicators where there when people started recognizing the possible implications, triggering article 50 was received with mix feelings.

I simply reiterated a fact that most people that care to look at the bigger picture stated:

THIS ISSUE IS MORE THAN UK LEAVING EU, IT'S A WAVE OF DIVISIVE, SELF CENTERED POLITICAL IDEOLOGY ACROSS THE GLOBE WHOSE MEMBERS UPON FINDING THEMSELVES IN CORRIDORS OF POWER, TAKE ACTIONS THAT GO AGAINST THE VERY PRINCIPLES AND VALUES OF WHICH HUMAN COEXISTENCE DEPENDS,IF LEFT UNCHECKED, IT WILL DESTROY THE VERY FOUNDATIONS OF OUR CIVILIZATION.

WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER, POLITICS OFISOLATION EITHER BY PEN(BREXIT) OR BY BRICK AND MORTAR ( TRUMP'S PROPOSED WALL) IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS, THE SOONER WE GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD AND TRULY UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM , THE SOONER WE FIX IT.

Lastly, i implore you totry to attain a level of maturity that will enable you to have a polite discourse with people without trying to attack their personality. If you find that unattainable kindly get off my mention.
Really impressed with your analysis

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 6:06am On Jan 16, 2019
Ibcrown:
UK perlimament get sense! Wait na this woman atiku wan dey make deal with? Hell NO. We won't enslave ourself to the Britain again! Bubu till 2023
But your bubu serves is one year presidency in uk, so that was not enslave ba?

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by kay9(m): 6:11am On Jan 16, 2019
tony9k:

It is not as easy as that. The challenge is that the Brexit equation is now firmly in the House if Commons and there doesn't appear to be a majority for any of the options. The Labour Party would vote down any agreement as they would like to use it to force a general election. Is it not ironical that the rebels in the conservative who voted against the bill were both brexitiers and remainers. The brexities felt the proposal was not 'hard' enough while the remainers felt it was not 'soft' enough. Recall that ab initio most of the MPs were against Brexit. The situation is compounded by the arrogance of the EU creating the impression that the UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK. Maybe this crushing defeat will make the EU have a re-think. Finally if Theresa May had followed Trump's suggestion any emergent deal would have been similarly voted out.

Thank you, couldn't have said it better - especially the bolded.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 6:15am On Jan 16, 2019
ponziponzi:

I doubt if the UK can get a better deal than what they voted on. The biggest challenge of Theresa May's deal was the Northern Ireland backstop, I don't think the EU will change their position on that and it will even be a violation of the good Friday agreement. Like every divorce, it will be messy, even the British PM cannot come to consensus on what a good deal should look like.
Everyone body were criticizing the deal including Trump and Nigel Farage. If these guys can criticised the deal then , the deal is as if there is no deal at all.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by kay9(m): 6:18am On Jan 16, 2019
ponziponzi:

You can't eat your cake and have it.

Excellent summary, that pic. You dey mind dem? I know my own country is in a lot worse condition sha, but I'm seriously and happily going to stay tuned and see where this brexit comedy ends.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by colossus91(m): 6:29am On Jan 16, 2019
she should have gone to the house in may,maybe that would have favoured her.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by KingOfAllIgbos: 6:52am On Jan 16, 2019
ponziponzi:

You can't eat your cake and have it.

Thanks bro. Been a bit confused with the Brexit issue, this makes it clearer.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by KingOfAllIgbos: 6:57am On Jan 16, 2019
chiedozie198100:
i always knew UK was not going anywhere.

u think say ee dey easy to divorce from marriage with benefits?

that's why Biafra to me is kinda waste of time.

too much intermingling and interdependence that if you exit, the consequences economically may destroy you forever.

Thank you very much for telling the honest and bitter truth.

Even if Biafra breaks away, they are connected to Nigeria ...landlocked and they would be at the mercy of Nigeria.

A nation of mostly businessmen and entrepreneurs....how will they sell to themselves when they become foreigners and are heavily taxed on Nigerian soil?

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by israelmao(m): 7:11am On Jan 16, 2019
She has said that PMs' votes were not the true reflection of the referendum.I think the time it took for this negotiation to be concluded left more room for lobbying among MPs and that was not in favour of May and the will of some people.

1 Like

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by toksworld1(m): 7:13am On Jan 16, 2019
Judefixedodd404:
See below
SINCE YOU CAN FIX GAMES, WHY DON'T YOU USE ALL THE MONEY YOU HAVE TO BET AND BECOME A BILLIONAIRE. STOP DISTURBING GOOD THREADS LIKE THIS WITH YOUR JARGON.

6 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by humnsikan: 8:17am On Jan 16, 2019
tzoracle:

true brits ?

Northern Ireland would protest vehemently against a no deal brexit and already the scots are threatening fire and igniting old tensions in the north, police in Northern Ireland are now free to shoot rubber bullets to dispel violent protests. Major business owners who are English are against it, the young people are against it. Problem is the young ones thought it irrelevant and decided to sit out the vote, I just hope Nigerian youths can take a cue from their mistake
You liberals never cease to amaze me. When referendums go your way, no issues; however, when it does not go your way, then issues arise. The result of referendums and elections have always been respected in the UK even when the margin of victory have been as low as 0.something%, as was the case with Scottish referendum and some elections. Why are you people rejecting a democratic process where majority (with a victory margin of 3.5%) voted to leave the EU

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by RALPHOW(m): 8:19am On Jan 16, 2019
Richdad50:
If Brexit must happen, then it must be a hard Brexit. A total exit from Europe. Theresa wanted a Brexit that puts UK in the hands of bureaucratic Europe.
Britain must take its future now or forever be slaves to globalists and migration hawks. She never listened to Trump's advice on Brexit and now she is going to pay with her political future. Good riddance.

#Richdad
Are you sure that is the issue? I think the rich don't want to leave EUROPE because of the benefits of wide/ large market to the companies.
I can also see the hands of Arabs in the lobby because British Exit will stop spreading of Islam inside UK ( British MP are gullible in terms of religion).

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by SachaBastien(m): 8:21am On Jan 16, 2019
For those who do not understand. MPs voting against May's Brexit deal does not mean Brexit is dead. It means The United Kingdom is heading for a hard Brexit come March 2019.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by VULCAN(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2019
Who is this pretend Igbo man? Are you not a Tinubu/Buhari/APC worshipper hiding under the cover of being Igbo.

You use the term break away like a teenager who runs away from home. When a nation not a country mind you, decides that it can no longer remain under the yoke of another, it has every right to negotiate a peaceful separation.

I won't bother to list the numerous countries that "broke away" and are doing very well now. They are just too damn many and something tells me you have little knowledge of history or even current affairs and that's why you imply that land locked nations are poor while only those with sea ports are rich. Although Onitsha will be made a seaport so your point is moot. And if the Niger Delta with more than enough access to the sea breaks away they will work better with the Igbo man than the Hausa and Yoruba have done so far.

Nigeria that has seaports how far with the riches?

And as for your last point. The Indians, Lebanese and Chinese that are doing business in every corner of this country are not complaining to you about being over taxed so why are you taking panadol for another's potential headache. Let Nigeria tax Biafra's 50% yet they will still make it.

KingOfAllIgbos:

Even if Biafra breaks away, they are connected to Nigeria ...landlocked and they would be at the mercy of Nigeria.

A nation of mostly businessmen and entrepreneurs....how will they sell to themselves when they become foreigners and are heavily taxed on Nigerian soil?

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 16, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:

Breaking away doesn't mean u have to sell and do ur business with urself only .......A boarder will separate Nigeria and them... custom rules will apply...trade agreements will be set...and everyone live happily ever after...it's just that Aba made goods will become more expensive has they have to pay custom duties to come sell them in Nigeria...
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by jiddama(f): 8:46am On Jan 16, 2019
KratosCorp:
You started the attack when you made false statements about Brexit. And that your childish shade down there is not a valid argument. In any case, here are some points to note

1) When the EU was formed it was sold to the European national governments and people as an economic union and a beacon of peace. But what has it become today? A mega bureaucracy of an unelected globalist government actively, albeit subtly, usurping the sovereignties of its member states. In fact, the rise of Trump has forced some them to openly start voicing the need to get all the European national governments to effectively handover to Brussels whatever remains of their national sovereignty. The Brits saw this, and it's in their best interest (and they have every right) to leave the Union.

2) The cause of the seeming rise in global crisis is not the quest for nationalism. On the contrary, the root cause of the issue is the fake and forced idea of unity which folks like you tend to so audaciously propagate. Yes, we are all human begins. But we are also very unique from each other. You create problems when you deny our uniqueness and then go ahead to try to force others to do the same. That's why multiculturalism or anti nation States is such a bad idea. The true proof of freedom is the liberty to say 'NO" without fear or shame. But are you not surprised that you are offended by the fact that the Brits chose to say no to the EU? Yet you'd be the first to lecture everyone about liberty and tolerance. That's hypocritical.

3) The vote that just happened was not about Brexit, but about the horrible deal which May brought to the table. Brexiters hate the deal. Many of them want a hard exit. In fact, Farage told May (and the EU hacks) a few weeks back that this deal was so bad that he's over-sure that it would not pass the Parliament. But I guess you were not paying attention.

4) Wake up. Hard Brexit will be a major tipping point to the liberation of Europe. It will bring liberty, security and (at the long run) major prosperity to the Brits. So, quit repeating the stale old lies that folks like you peddled during the exit campaign. It's been ages now since the Brexiters won, yet the economy is yet to crash. So, please, kindly save us your dooms day annunciation. Freedom is better.

opinions becomes childish when it doesn't sit well with you... undecided

1- "Economic union and beacon of peace" it still is and evolved into a diversed, multicultural , union of nations that will always give each other a helping hand(remember Greek economic crisis, the EU could have expelled Greece but chose to play brother's keeper, thus saving an entire nation from collapse, If you underestimate the significance of that action simply look at Venezuela and Zimbabwe). This "Mega bureaucrats" are they aliens or citizens of member states who are protecting the interest of their nations in the union? And does UK have no bureaucrats of its own there?
No one is denying Great Britain the right to leave, but they should come clean to the table and also ALLOW other members of the "united kingdom" a right to autonomy , I'm sure the Scots have a thing or two to say about that.You do unto others what you will do for yourself.

Then the structure of commonwealth should be renegotiated... Let's all be mad together and allow Murphy's law to apply. grin

2- Nobody discourages uniqueness, in fact it is foundation of our diversity, denying it is tantamount to denying human nature. You refuse to see the bigger picture, the rise of trump and brexit is a poor response to the change in the dynamics of power.The unscrupulous politicians know that power is gradually moving to the east. Rather than find solutions to counter balance it, they are retreating into themselves. Don't you find it ironic that China is building bridges and US and UK are trying to build walls.

3- Brexit was always going to be hard, any other thought was mere wishful thinking. But the question is did those clamoring for it tell voters BEFORE the referendum? Remember the margin....

4- Come to think of it, one almost wish to see that you people have your way, so that the whole world will be taught a lesson on how the two most powerful nations in the world lost their standing and respectability in the eyes of the world simply because they couldn't carry other nations along.

Freedom goes hand in hand with respect, truth, integrity, compassion, discipline and compromise. You deny one you deny all.

History has thought us one oft-repeated lesson: Nations become Great not by erecting WALLS but by building BRIDGES.

Anyway you are entitled to your opinion as I am.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2019
jiddama:

They lack consensus because the entire "Brexit ideology" was concieved, birthed and campaigned to the masses based on lies and half truths....I could still remember vividly the day in 2016 when the referendum was passed, brexiteers won but they were confused a very scattered herd it seems their uniting factors were greed and hate undecided. People are seeing the bigger picture.

And I think it's hypocritical of UK to keep demanding brexit and not give Scotland, northern Ireland and the others a chance to break away, they won't even entertain the thought....

Strong women full nairaland o... See super comments! By their grammar, perceptions thou shall know them.

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 16, 2019
chiedozie198100:

just to sidetrack ur comment, you see why a leader (prime minister or president) must talk to the people?

here in Nigeria, some fools are boldly saying that it is not by force for Buhari to talk to Nigerians.

in saner climes where democracy is taken seriously, one careless statement can practically bring down ur government.

we should begin to demand more from our leaders. not just to foolishly show our fingers (4+4) in blind and senseless solidarity.

You seem not to know the main problems with Nigerians; it's illiteracy and poverty. Plethora of Nigerians - educated and non-educated - cannot acess the internet or afford newspapers for happenings in the country. They rely on hearsays. I buy data for my wife every month on a 3G powered phone and she doesn't know other presidential candidates other than Buhari. She has never heard of Obi. I asked if she doesn't read adverts on billboards assuming she reads nothing other than Facebook nonsense she spends hours on. I have graduate friends who still go about using that "toughlight" phones. How do you expect them to think of revolution or something similar?

The other day my own brother forwarded to me one of those overflogged whatsapp lies that Boko haram is planning to bomb Cocoa house in Ibadan and that I should forward it to others to keep people informed. What nonsense! Will you expect this brother of mine to think for himself in a hopeless Nigeria? Now invade the heads of pepper sellers, okada riders, beverages hawkers and tell me what you will find there.

2 Likes

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by KingOfAllIgbos: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2019
VULCAN:
[s]Who is this pretend Igbo man? Are you not a Tinubu/Buhari/APC worshipper hiding under the cover of being Igbo.

You use the term break away like a teenager who runs away from home. When a nation not a country mind you, decides that it can no longer remain under the yoke of another, it has every right to negotiate a peaceful separation.

I won't bother to list the numerous countries that "broke away" and are doing very well now. They are just too damn many and something tells me you have little knowledge of history or even current affairs and that's why you imply that land locked nations are poor while only those with sea ports are rich. Although Onitsha will be made a seaport so your point is moot. And if the Niger Delta with more than enough access to the sea breaks away they will work better with the Igbo man than the Hausa and Yoruba have done so far.

Nigeria that has seaports how far with the riches?

And as for your last point. The Indians, Lebanese and Chinese that are doing business in every corner of this country are not complaining to you about being over taxed so why are you taking panadol for another's potential headache. Let Nigeria tax Biafra's 50% yet they will still make it.

[/s]

Trash!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by NNEWIsuper: 11:07am On Jan 16, 2019
tony9k:

It is not as easy as that. The challenge is that the Brexit equation is now firmly in the House if Commons and there doesn't appear to be a majority for any of the options. The Labour Party would vote down any agreement as they would like to use it to force a general election. Is it not ironical that the rebels in the conservative who voted against the bill were both brexitiers and remainers. The brexities felt the proposal was not 'hard' enough while the remainers felt it was not 'soft' enough. Recall that ab initio most of the MPs were against Brexit. The situation is compounded by the arrogance of the EU creating the impression that the UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK. Maybe this crushing defeat will make the EU have a re-think. Finally if Theresa May had followed Trump's suggestion any emergent deal would have been similarly voted out.
what was Trump's suggestion please
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by NNEWIsuper: 11:27am On Jan 16, 2019
SachaBastien:
For those who do not understand. MPs voting against May's Brexit deal does not mean Brexit is dead. It means The United Kingdom is heading for a hard Brexit come March 2019.
which is hard brexit and what difference does it have with soft bexit
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Ugosample(m): 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2019
Richdad50:
If Brexit must happen, then it must be a hard Brexit. A total exit from Europe. Theresa wanted a Brexit that puts UK in the hands of bureaucratic Europe.
Britain must take its future now or forever be slaves to globalists and migration hawks. She never listened to Trump's advice on Brexit and now she is going to pay with her political future. Good riddance.

#Richdad

at this point, their best bet is to remain in the EU
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by jiddama(f): 1:57pm On Jan 16, 2019
Saintzykie:
Really impressed with your analysis
Tehila07:

Strong women full nairaland o... See super comments! By their grammar, perceptions thou shall know them.

Thanks, it needed to be said and heard....the one-sided narrative is becoming distasteful.
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by Ugosample(m): 2:49pm On Jan 16, 2019
chiedozie198100:
i always knew UK was not going anywhere.

u think say ee dey easy to divorce from marriage with benefits?

that's why Biafra to me is kinda waste of time.

too much intermingling and interdependence that if you exit, the consequences economically may destroy you forever.

that's the story of Nigeria

too intertwined

ANY Region who leaves the country will suffer immensely

Be it the SW, NE or wherever
Re: British MPs Vote Against Brexit Deal by KratosCorp: 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2019
Yea, can you tell us how China rose?

Noticed the trade war with the US is not even up to a year yet, but are you aware of the impact it's having on China's economy?

Aware that China is not even ranked as a developed economy yet?

Don't get carried away by their population driven GDP. Check their GDP per capita and compare it to those of the West. Again, China is no match for the US or the West in any way, their silly assertiveness notwithstanding. If not for the massive edge given to them by Obama and his liberal cohorts they won't have mouth to talk tough where Japan and SK are loyal. Thank God for the MAGA movement, in spite of the insanities of the US liberal hotheads. The excesses of China are getting cut down deliberately. And there's nothing China can do about it. And, if you knew how exploitative and abusive China is, you won't be here talking about "China and building of bridges". That's very funny.

Finally, Babe, no power is going to the east. What's happening is that some lunatics are bent on destabilizing and weakening the West. But they won't succeed - at least not in this generation nor in the few coming generations. Yea, you will have your global government but neither now nor the near future is the time.

Trump and Brexit are not really about power moving to China or the East. It's bout the regular western folks shoving it right into the faces of their globalists and taking back their beloved countries. And watch it, this movement will sweep across the heart of Europe if you guys refuse to slow down your antagonism for nation States.

If we are truly unique, why then do you want to impose unity? Can you imagine me forcing myself on you? What then makes you think that you can force or shame people into unity with those who they think are so different from them? Such moves would only breed hostility and distrust. Inorganic drive for multiculturalism is divisive. The world can be peaceful without destroying the nation States.

And, talking about walls, those of you against it should start by tearing down every fence around your house. And you should start leaving the entire doors to your house wide open when you go out or sleep at night. And while you're at it, try to find out how much border walls your beloved China has; and be sure to learn when they built those walls. Until then, your mockery of Trump's border wall remains a childish rant and cutting edge hypocrisy.

jiddama:

opinions becomes childish when it doesn't sit well with you... undecided

Then the structure of commonwealth should be renegotiated... Let's all be mad together and allow Murphy's law to apply. grin

2- Nobody discourages uniqueness, in fact it is foundation of our diversity, denying it is tantamount to denying human nature. You refuse to see the bigger picture, the rise of trump and brexit is a poor response to the change in the dynamics of power.The unscrupulous politicians know that power is gradually moving to the east. Rather than find solutions to counter balance it, they are retreating into themselves. Don't you find it ironic that China is building bridges and US and UK are trying to build walls.

grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

33 Years Old Democrat, Ossoff Has Won The Georgia Senate Runoff - Decision Desk / Houthis Threaten To Cut Intercontinental Internet Cables Running Along Red Sea. / James Heappey: Terrorists are trying to Sneak Into Britain On Evacuation Flights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.