Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup (57254 Views)

Photos From Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Burial / Colonel Emmanuel Nwobosi Is Dead; Anambra State Mourns (Photos) / Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Meet With The Leader Of Ambazonia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 16, 2019
Biodun556:
but it is those of us that planned the revolution that they should have killed, not the three million innocent Biafrans that knew nothing.

Why then were you hiding among the innocent ones?

I hope these people will be rightly guided one day. They see things only from their own perspective with too much lies.
You that see things in One perspective where is the lies

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:17pm On Jan 16, 2019
theoldpretender:
Hmm...

First, respect to Papa....did not know he was still alive. Sad that many of those who played key parts in the 1960-66 events are leaving us one by one.

Second...despite his explanation, the coup was still, in my opinion....unnnecessary. Sure it ended the violence in the South West....but it led to

1.The disaster that was the July 66 coup.

2.The May and October 66 pogroms and the reprisals in December 66.

3.The brutal civil war which left millions dead...and millions injured.

4.More importantly, we ended up truncating prematurely our democratic experiment, we got 40 years of Army rule...and we lost an opportunity to develop a mature democratic system.

In my opinion, Papa AND his colleagues should have resigned from the Army and gone into politics. Let the politicians make their mistakes.

Still....let's say there was no coup. South West might have disintegrated into mass civil war....and history might be looking much different.

Do you know that late Sarduna of Sokoto bought about 2500 rifles for the planned jihad against the South.?

What do you expect them to do.?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by raumdeuter: 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2019
Can he tell us why

The Non Ibo Prime Minister was killed but the Ibo President was spared
Why the 2 Non Ibo regional premiers were killed but the 2 Ibo premiers were spared
Why Sodeinde, Maimalari Ademulegun Okotie Eboh Lagerma Pam were killed and Ironsi plus all the Ibo Federal ministers were spared

10 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Biodun556(m): 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2019
Hizzy:

You that see things in One perspective where is the lies

Will i be right to describe Obasanjo genocide in Odi village a crusade?

5 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:22pm On Jan 16, 2019
gidgiddy:

As recorded in history books I have read, Nwobosi came to arrest Akintola but Akintola opens fire on Nwobosi and his men with a rifle. They returned fire and killed Akintola

The thing about the January 15 1966 coup is that for years, people thought the coup was all about making Igbos the Lords of Nigeria.

That was far from the truth. That coup was the only coup in Nigeria where the coup plotters had no intention of seizing power for themselves

Do you know that late Sarduna of Sokoto bought about 2500 rifles for the planned jihad against the South.?

Do you know that, some university undergraduates were armed and sent to Port Harcourt to cause trouble so as to justify state of emergency in the East

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by theoldpretender(m): 7:23pm On Jan 16, 2019
raumdeuter:
Can he tell us why

Why the 2 Non Ibo regional premiers were killed but the 2 Ibo premiers were spared
Why Sodeinde, Maimalari Ademulegun Okotie Eboh Lagerma Pam were killed and Ironsi plus all the Ibo Federal ministers were spared

1.Azikiwe was out of the country then.

2.The Sardauna may have (allegedly) gotten information about the coup before it happened...but refused the offer of fleeing abroad.

3.Add Arthur Unegbe to the list of generals killed. He was Igbo. Ironsi too nearly got killed.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:25pm On Jan 16, 2019
Christistruth00:

No , Akintola was shot dead after he had surrendered. His son confirmed it. The man should make peace with the Akintola family.
By 1970 he alone of all the officers who had murdered people on the night of January 15 1966 Coup was alive and it may be that God showed mercy to him because of a pregnant woman in labour by the roadside that he halted his convoy to take to Hospital that night. Ademoyega and Chukwuka were part of the Coup but didn’t kill anyone, Chukwuka even tried to save his boss Lt col Pams life But Anuforo insisted on shooting him dead. The Jihad story is not true because Gen Ironsi who was the head of the Army and Ademulegan who was the head of all troops in the North and Louis Edet who was the inspector General of Police and Akinwale Wey who was head of the Navy were all Christians.

General Maimalari is of which ethnicity & religion.?

General Maimalari is a stooge of which regional leader.?

Only an illiterate will say the coup had no Jihad attached to it.

What about the 2500 rifles bought by late Sarduna of Sokoto

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by theoldpretender(m): 7:30pm On Jan 16, 2019
Warship:

Do you know that, some university undergraduates were armed and sent to Port Harcourt to cause trouble so as to justify state of emergency in the East

1. I don't see how 2500 rifles would do the job of jihad against the South

2.The Sardauna was an Islamist...but he was also very pragmatic. I doubt he would have been planning jihad...especially as it would have led to crisis in the old Northern region.

3.Plus the Nigerian Army in the 1960's was made up of mostly Middlebelters...and most of them were Christians (Jack Gowon claimed in his Christmas speech of 1967 that 60% of the Nigerian Army was made up of non-moslems...as counter to Biafran propaganda alleging the Nigerian Army was 'muslim')

4.In 1966 Issac Boro (a graduate of the University of Ibadan)...led an uprising in the Niger Delta .That was the begining of the current Niger Delta Agitation....which by the way failed miserably.

4 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by IbrahimDamola: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2019
AK481:
History is filled with lies.

Only those who have nothing to gain or lose can write the truth.

Just like Pa Nwobosi, he has nothing to gain. He is old already. Even if wicked tribalist dumbohari arrests the old man it won't change anything.

For the records, dumbohari believe the coup was an IBO coup, he once said it in Sun newspaper published sometime in 2011. That's the tribalist some efulefu buffoons want the East to embrace and vote for. Tufiakwa!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2019
Foodforthought:
Nigerians keep insulting this man and dismissing his Biafran Agenda. But step by step it continues to grow, many drops of water eventually turn to a puddle. They keep pressing, they keep wooing the Ibos . One day they might win them over eventually. They might create enough awareness, they might become politically structured. They might get referendum.
This looks to me like the first steps of history, like humble beginnings. I have this feeling all this struggle will define the history and birth of a nation called Biafra.
As a non Ibo I would also like to dismiss Biafra but something tells me not to

That thing telling you not to dismiss the Biafran agitation is of God.

Those who have sought God's direction concerning the rise of IPOB know that, God raised up Nnamdi Kanu to stop the Caliphate from Islamizing Nigeria.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by raumdeuter: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2019
theoldpretender:

2.The Sardauna may have (allegedly) gotten information about the coup before it happened...but refused the offer of fleeing abroad.

3.Add Arthur Unegbe to the list of generals killed. He was Igbo. Ironsi too nearly got killed.

1. How convenient that Azikwe was out of the country then
2. What of Michael Okpara the Premier of the Easter Region
3. What of Osadebey the premier of the Mid west
4. Why should they flee like cowards while their cousins were killing others

This was the account of how Jaja Wachukwu escaped

Wachuku's official residence, at 7, Okotie-Eboh Street Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria, was surrounded by soldiers. His younger brother: Kennedy Madu Wachuku, father of Ugonna Wachuku was with him that day, Jaja Wachuku looked through the window in the early hours of the morning and asked the soldiers: "What are you boys doing here?" One of the soldiers replied: "Good morning, Sir. But haven't you heard what is happening in the country?" To which Wachuku replied: "Yes. I know you boys have taken over the Government." And the soldier said: "Do not be afraid, Sir. We have come to protect you for being an honest Government Minister

The Ibo soldiers knew how to kill others but protect their own people

16 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by RockHard: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2019
Mikora:

Apologise for wasting a corrupt politician? Let Buhari, idiagbon, Banbangida, Gowon, Abacha e.t.c apologise for their own coups first then we will demand that Nwobosi and co need to apologise too

You are sick . Was Akintola's innocent nephew also corrupt? And how come no single corrupt igbo leader was killed? Abi Igbo had no corrupt leaders?? You are very sick.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Christistruth00: 7:31pm On Jan 16, 2019
theoldpretender:

I'm not sure about that...read Nzeogwu's speech. That does not sound like someone coming to take power and then give it up in 10 minutes....they were in for the long term.

And the January coup was not an Igbo coup. Otherwise, why was Maj Gen Unegbe killed? Even Ironsi was on the list of targets...but he disarmed the unit sent to assassinate him...after he had been warned by telephone ...

One of the persons sent to take care of Gen Ironsi , Capt. Oji was from the same hometown as Ironsi (Umuahia) and was among those insisting on a bloodless Coup.This may have been a deliberate Sabotage as Ademoyega claimed he was prevented from dealing with Ironsi during the planning stage. He suspected Ifeajuna’s Tribalism was a factor.

15 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Sleekfingers: 7:32pm On Jan 16, 2019
Kellibae:
YORUBAS are naturally betrayers and sellouts.
No matter what u do for them at the end they will betray u.
Even if u spilled ur own blood and die to save them, they can't still be pleased.

Without IGBOS the entire Yoruba race would have been wiped out by Hausa FULANI.
But what did IGBOS got in return.
Betrayal, hatred, envy, jealousy, from Yorubas it's sad!

But the Igbo could not save themselves... Over 3 millions of their flat heads people were killed... Awon oloripelebe jatijati

Save Yoruba indeed.....

14 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Skyfornia(m): 7:33pm On Jan 16, 2019
This is informative.... I'm bookmarking this page for future references.

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by franchasng: 7:34pm On Jan 16, 2019
Yankiss:
Well, if this is the whole truth, we have to be on the guide in Nigeria - sleep with one eye open. But I have some questions. I like to be objective. You people wanted to save Yorubas and the Middle belters, but aren't there officers from these areas then who should feel scandalized enough to act with you? Why was it a near Ibo revolt?
Igbos dominated the military then, and Igbo soldiers were the most brutal and dreaded soldiers back then before the civil war.

So Nzeogwu knew that most soldiers were lilylivered and won't have the gut to embark on that revolution, so they kept it within few of them that had the mind.

And Ademoyega was among them and he is from Southwest.

The man is correct, their major plan was to stop Ahmadu Bello's Uthman Danfodio's Islamic agenda in Nigeria and to free Awolowo from jail and install him as Prime Minister of Nigeria.

They believed Awolowo was more neutral and non-corrupt to bring development to Nigeria.

The coupist hated Zik, Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Belewa, Akintola and most of the first republic politicians.

If Zik had not fled Nigeria, they would have killed Zik too but one of the coupist, Ifeajuna who happened to be a nephew to Zik leaked the secret to Zik and Azikiwe had to form sickness and took sick leave to the Caribbean country, and he couldn't have leaked the secret to his colleagues like Belewa or Akintola because that would endanger his nephew's life that leaked the info to him.

My uncle was among the 1966 coupist and he told us classified stories about the coup before he died.

The truth is, Islam and Northern Muslims have been the major problem facing Nigeria, they are too troublesome just like Arabs and Somali people undecided

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by IbrahimDamola: 7:35pm On Jan 16, 2019
raumdeuter:
Can he tell us why

Can you also tell us why the Igbo Quater-master general of the Army Gen. Unegbe was killed by the 'IBO coupists', in an 'Igbo coup' that was supposed to kill 'other non-ibos and spare IBOs' according to your lazy propaganda.

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Skyfornia(m): 7:35pm On Jan 16, 2019
Sleekfingers:

But the Igbo could not save themselves... Over 3 millions of their flat heads people were killed... Awon oloripelebe jatijati

Save Yoruba indeed.....

That is because the people yoruba they were fighting for, joined their enemies and attacked them.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Abuskid: 7:37pm On Jan 16, 2019
Islamic sharia shall prevail insha allaah. And haters go hug electric transformer
Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:38pm On Jan 16, 2019
theoldpretender:

1. I don't see how 2500 rifles would do the job of jihad against the South

2.The Sardauna was an Islamist...but he was also very pragmatic. I doubt he would have been planning jihad...especially as it would have led to crisis in the old Northern region.

3.Plus the Nigerian Army in the 1960's was made up of mostly Middlebelters...and most of them were Christians (Jack Gowon claimed in his Christmas speech of 1967 that 60% of the Nigerian Army was made up of non-moslems...as counter to Biafran propaganda alleging the Nigerian Army was 'muslim')

4.In 1966 Issac Boro (a graduate of the University of Ibadan)...led an uprising in the Niger Delta .That was the begining of the current Niger Delta Agitation....which by the way failed miserably.

If you are not an illiterate in history, you would have known that the Nigerian military was 10,000 strong and had a sizeable number of Muslim foot soldiers.

An additional 2500 rifles in the hands of the Northern Muslims, would have tipped the balanced.

Have you asked yourself why Gowon declared Arewa Republic and host the flags for weeks before jettisoning the idea after the British and US ambassadors talked him out of it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Kellibae(f): 7:39pm On Jan 16, 2019
Sleekfingers:

Save Yoruba indeed.....

Who is this imbecil.e?.. I don't blame I blamed history removed in ur useless country.
Without IGBOS there wouldn't be a coneheaded yoruba like now quoting me.
Igbos gave u life u are living now.
#fact!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Warship: 7:39pm On Jan 16, 2019
franchasng:
Igbos dominated the military then, and Igbo soldiers were the most brutal and dreaded soldiers back then before the civil war.

So Nzeogwu knew that most soldiers were lilylivered and won't have the gut to embark on that revolution, so they kept it within few of them that had the mind.

And Ademoyega was among them and he is from Southwest.

The man is correct, their major plan was to stop Ahmadu Bello's Uthman Danfodio's Islamic agenda in Nigeria and to free Awolowo from jail and install him as Prime Minister of Nigeria.

They believed Awolowo was more neutral and non-corrupt to bring development to Nigeria.

The coupist hated Zik, Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Belewa, Akintola and most of the first republic politicians.

My uncle was among the 1966 coupist and he told us classified stories about the coup before he died.

The truth is, Islam and Northern Muslims have been the major problem facing Nigeria undecided

Pls, share some of them with us for record sake now that another war is about to erupt due to the plan of the Caliphate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by zinizta: 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2019
ChangeIsCostant:

Instead of our leaders using us to defend Nigeria they were using us to suppress citizens. We, decided to arrest them for their atrocities because no one was willing to act. Not Zik, the President, who was powerless, not Ironsi, the Head of the Army, who was a conservative. There were many reasons why we had to act:

1. To stop the killings in Yoruba land and the Middle Belt by NPC the ruling Party;

2. To stop the invasion of Yorubaland on 17th January, 1966;

3. To correct the massive rigging of the 1964 elections;

4. To free Awolowo from Prison and make him the Prime Minister;

5. To stop the terrible corruption, nepotism and regionalism of the NPC, the Ruling Party;

6. To stop Ahmadu Bello’s planned Jihad.

i thought Awolowo was the traitor of your people.... and why are you making a bloody Yoruba...or better put in your words...bloody Afonja the prime minister...i thought they were created by the devil...

Ahmadu Bello was the great grandson of Uthman dan fodio...whatdo you expect

ChangeIsCostant:

My story is a warning to Nigerians. For years, I was prevented from speaking the truth by exile, prison, harassment, poverty, surveillance and death threats held over many of the actors like Ojukwu, Zik, Awolowo, Ibiam and the January 15 boys that survived. But as I watch today, many of the events that led to our revolution are happening again: Boko Haram, Fulani Militia, Niger Delta Militants, Shiites, IPOB and mass murders.

Niger delta militants and IPOB used in the same sentence as Fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram....hmmm

the old man is a lil bit confused you claim to be patriotic and still you are supporting secessionist movements...Nnamdi Kanu a sworn enemy of the Yoruba Race...

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by erinalex: 7:42pm On Jan 16, 2019
Mikora:

Apologise for wasting a corrupt politician? Let Buhari, idiagbon, Banbangida, Gowon, Abacha e.t.c apologise for their own coups first then we will demand that Nwobosi and co need to apologise too
the major problem with ur tribe is you "double - mouth" too much. No principle !

In one breath, you will be very quick to condemn PMB for 1984 coup, call him names for truncation of democracy.

Strangely now, u are praising the very first coup plotters in Nigeria; conveniently saying they killed corrupt politicians in 1966 coup.

I ask u, were the 1984 politicians,that pmb overthrown Not corrupt ?

The same tribe lampooned Yorubas for supporting PMB, claiming that Yorubas are slaves to Hausa.

Now,who are those rooting for Atiku?and d last time, I checked, atiku is still an Hausaman.
Should we now regard the people supporting Atiku as slaves too ?

I don't believe in PMB, neither do I have hope in Atiku.

My point to u is that, stop changing the goalposts, whenever the narratives doesn't suit u.

Always maintain the same sense of judgment, no matter whose Ox is gore.

17 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by Biodun556(m): 7:42pm On Jan 16, 2019
theoldpretender:

The President of Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe left the country in late 1965 first for Europe, then on a cruise to the Caribbean. Under the law, Orizu became Acting President during his absence and had all the powers of the President.

Why was Nwafo Orizu spared?

Nnamdi Azikwe could have been out of the country having known that military coup was under way.

10 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by zinizta: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2019
IjebuWarrior:
CRAP! For folks like us... we know this history better... cool

We know that coward Ojukwu NOT, FRN army killed a brave Major Patrick Kaduna Nzeogwu out of fear of his rising popularity and bravery! angry
He gorged out both of his two eyes for ritual purposes

We know that Major Patrick Kaduna Nzeogwu NEVER fought for Biafra (as against the media propaganda). He was OBJ's bestie, never a bigot, wanted the best for his country (Nigeria), killed the ethnic bigot (Ahmadu Bello) and wrote a detailed letter to OBJ to summarize his plans. cool

We know that Ojukjwu stripped Major Kaduna of all military exercises and duties cuz he freed him from prison simply to have a stranglehold on him. angry

We know that Ojukwu and Kanu (COW-nu) are COWARDS !!! angry angry Okoro Savages! angry angry

cosigned

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by higgs: 7:45pm On Jan 16, 2019
Foolishness.
Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by zinizta: 7:46pm On Jan 16, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Igbos saving yoruba since 1950 but what did they get in return....pure betrayal and back stabbing....

Very pathetic, I finally agree that IBB is right about his views on yoruba.

Kellibae:
YORUBAS are naturally betrayers and sellouts.
No matter what u do for them at the end they will betray u.
Even if u spilled ur own blood and die to save them, they can't still be pleased.

Without IGBOS the entire Yoruba race would have been wiped out by Hausa FULANI.
But what did IGBOS get in return.
Betrayal, chronic hatred, envy, jealousy, from Yorubas it's sad!

You saved Yorubas? but couldnt save the millions of your people who died in the civil war? .....Swerve!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by franchasng: 7:46pm On Jan 16, 2019
Warship:

Pls, share some of them with us for record sake now that another war is about to erupt due to the plan of the Caliphate
I am sharing already above in the comment you quoted.

My late uncle was very close to Nzeogwu, they also fought together for Biafra when the war broke out and he escaped so many deaths and raids on his batallion because he was heading Biafran military batallion during the civil war. He had so many medals, both local and foreign.

He said Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Belewa were all about Northern Islamic agenda just like Buhari now.

He also said if not that Ironsi jailed most of the brutal and smart Igbo soldiers that participated in the 1966 coup after Ironsi took over, that Ironsi wouldn't have been killed because they knew the next plan of Northern politicians and soldiers, and that they would have stalled their midnight killing and cold blood execution of Igbo soldiers at Dordan barracks and other barracks in Lagos while the Igbo soldiers were asleep, which was headed by Muhammadu Buhari, and which made it easy for the Northern led soldiers to invade Western Region's Govorner's office at Ibadan where Ironsi was with Fajuyi and killed Ironsi along with Fajuyi who refused them killing Ironsi the Head of State in his residence

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by zinizta: 7:49pm On Jan 16, 2019
Sleekfingers:

Save Yoruba indeed.....

hypocritical fellows rewriting history to suit themselves

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by franchasng: 7:53pm On Jan 16, 2019
Biodun556:

The President of Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe left the country in late 1965 first for Europe, then on a cruise to the Caribbean. Under the law, Orizu became Acting President during his absence and had all the powers of the President.

Why was Nwafo Orizu spared?

Nnamdi Azikwe could have been out of the country having known that military coup was under way.

Nwafor Orizu the then Senate President of Nigeria had no power, had no visible contribution to the corruption happening among the first republic politicians.

And mind you, their plan was to kill the Prime Minister Tafawa Belewa, Ahmadu Bello the Northern Emir who was leading Tafawa Belewa on towards an Islamic agenda, and then President Azikiwe who always danced to northern politicians tune.

They planned to arrest others until Awolowo is installed as Prime Minister, but you know the man that has gun + alcohol + narcotics can go nuts cos they were under the influence of alcohol too according to my uncle.

My late uncle that participated in the coup said they only planned to kill 3 major politicians, namely:

1.) Tafawa Belewa
2.) Nnamdi Azikiwe
3.) Ahmadu Bello

Then arrest:

4.) Akintola
5.) Tam West
6.) The man from Edo. Forgotten his name.

He said some of them weren't happy with the way some of their fellow coupist handled the coup execution in their assigned region.

My uncle also told us that the political tuzzle between Awolowo and Akintola also played a key role in their decision for the coup because that Northern politicians wanted to use that opportunity of political turmoil between Awolowo faction and Akintola faction to invade Southwestern Nigeria and suppress the fast rising influence of Awolowo, a devout Christian, whom they liked and believed would make a better leader for Nigeria.

The northern politicians and traditional rulers liked Nnamdi Azikiwe because he played to their request always and remained ceremonious as he was more concerned with being a national leader respected all over Nigeria than fighting for the good of his people unlike other first republic politicians then.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup by legba1(m): 7:55pm On Jan 16, 2019
why is he mentioning 'the yorubas' like he want the yorubas to belief he and his co travellers did the yorubas a favor....meanwhile be mindful that Aguiyi Ironsi became the millitary head of state after that infamous coup which culminated in that counter coup by the millitary men of northern extraction.....a coup you guys plotted and killed only hausa fulanis leaders leaving the likes of ZIK and AWO was never an intervention...it was one sided and would definitely send wrong signal....

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Umar Resumes As Acting EFCC Chairman / Referendum: All FG Properties Will Go To Biafra, Debts To Nigeria - OEAS / Nigerian Man Publicly Beaten In India - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.