Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,140 members, 7,807,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled (830 Views)

BREAKING: INEC Releases Statement Ahead Of Saturday's Elections / Read Governor Fashola’s Letter To Lagosians Ahead Of Saturday's Elections. / Picture Evidence Of What Will Happen On Saturday's Elections - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by paddylo1(m): 1:41pm On Aug 13, 2010
[size=14pt]Church wants Saturday elections cancelled[/size]

August 12, 2010 11:57PM

[size=13pt]The Seventh Day Adventist Church of Nigeria, yesterday, said over 12 millions Nigerians could be disenfranchised during the 2011 general elections if voting takes place on Saturdays.

Joseph Adebisi, the President of North-Western Nigeria Union of the church, said in Akure, the Ondo State Capital, that the church would not participate in the 2011 general elections if the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) insists on holding various elections on Saturdays
[/size]. He urged Nigerian leaders to emulate other advanced countries who conduct election on week days, [size=13pt]saying conduct of elections on Saturday will prevent members from exercising their franchise as the day is their day of worship. [/size]“Those who brought the idea of democracy to the world conduct their elections on weekdays because of its importance,” he said.

“It is a common knowledge that our nation is wandering socially, politically and religiously,” added the cleric. “Kidnapping has become the order of the day, the centre can no longer hold; and not much is on ground to show case the 50 years of Nigeria’s independence. It is unfortunate that ironically we are not making the best use of the labours of our heros past, as we have not sufficiently learnt the lessons of nationhood. Economically, Nigeria has become a dumping ground for potentially toxic electronic waste such as television and computers disguised as second-hand goods from developed countries. Such countries like India, China, Brazil, Singapore, South Korea and Chile are occupying positions as global economic key players in electronic and software development, but Nigeria continues to depend on foreign electronics and software to drive its economy.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5605450-146/story.csp
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by paddylo1(m): 1:42pm On Aug 13, 2010
. . . . cool
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by jamace(m): 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2010
grin grin grin grin
Naija really get problems. But some of them, like this one, can be ignored.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2010
saying conduct of elections on Saturday will prevent members from exercising their franchise as the day is their day of worship.

This seriously needs to be addressed. Why the sabbath day? undecided

Goes to show that INEC did not bother taking different things into consideration.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by paddylo1(m): 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2010
jamace:

grin grin grin grin
Naija really get problems. But some of them, like this one, can be ignored.

Seriously and most of the problem we self inflict on ourselves

I mean,u wont spend a mere 15 - 30mins to go and vote,but u will spend the next 4yrs abusing the ppl voted in. . which u did not participate becose of some spurious religious claims. . .

I hope those seventh day adventists just lay in bed all day o , hope they dont do anything at all on that day
like cook,clean,drive, etc
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by paddylo1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 13, 2010
This seriously needs to be addressed. Why the sabbath day?

Goes to show that INEC did not bother taking different things into consideration.

@ ileke

Its just one day now. . .they should go vote for love of God and country
Imagine if other christians say no voting on sunday,and Muslims say no Voting on Fridays

and workers say they cant vote on weekdays cause of work . , where will that take us?
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

@ ileke

[b]Its just one day now
. . .they should go vote for love of God and country
Imagine if other christians say no voting on sunday,and Muslims say no Voting on Fridays

and workers say they cant vote on weekdays cause of work . , where will that take us?[/b]

Yes, and that day is a day of rest. I'm not a strict SDA, but I do know that there are many SDA out there that goes str8 home after church to "rest". They try not to lift a nut or needle. It's a very strong religious view.
Is Saturday the only voting day? undecided

Actually, some companies have tried to avoid giving work to workers on Saturday and Sunday because of religion. Same should be implemented for voting day.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by hercules07: 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2010
They are not serious, they should go and read the bible where it says they should obey the law of the land. How did they come up with the figure of 12 million sef?
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by violent(m): 12:24pm On Aug 14, 2010
I would throw in support for the SDA on this, 12 million people can't be ignored, imagine the tantrums the Muslim community would throw if the election had been fixed on a friday instead.

Most sane countries normally have a fixed date for general elections, hey don't just throw dice at lunch to come up with some random calendar numbers.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by violent(m): 12:41pm On Aug 14, 2010
paddy_lo:

Seriously and most of the problem we self inflict on ourselves

I mean,u wont spend a mere 15 - 30mins to go and vote,but u will spend the next 4yrs abusing the ppl voted in. . which u did not participate becose of some spurious religious claims. . .

I hope those seventh day adventists just lay in bed all day o ,  hope they dont do anything at all on that day
like cook,clean,drive, etc

A number of folks out there will kill, mutilate, batter and mangle both young and old just because their religion says its the right thing to do, the federal government has found it fit to  accommodate these people and wouldn't schedule an election for a Friday, else, it risk arousing the anger of the "blood thirsty, axe wielding" individuals who would stop at nothing to get 72 virgins!

However, 12 million Nigerians are asking only for their religious beliefs to be respected, and accommodated in the forthcoming elections, and you tag it "spurious religious claims"?

and yes, i do know quite a handful of SDA members who never wrote the Jamb exams cos it has always been scheduled for Saturday
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by cold(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2010
As an Adventist myself,i'v been musing over this for some time now.Ohter countries i'v been to hold elections on weekdays;why do we insist on holding it on the Sabbath day thus disenfranchising millions of Nigerians.It makes no sense at all
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by favouredjb(f): 1:00pm On Aug 14, 2010
It sholud be scheduled for a day during the week.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by Beaf: 1:15pm On Aug 14, 2010
Cancel the church.
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 14, 2010
cold:

[b]As an Adventist myself,[/b]i'v been musing over this for some time now.Ohter countries i'v been to hold elections on weekdays;why do we insist on holding it on the Sabbath day thus disenfranchising millions of Nigerians.It makes no sense at all
shocked smiley Happy Sabbath
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by cold(m): 4:27pm On Aug 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Happy Sabbath to you too wink
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by violent(m): 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Maranatha!
Re: Church Wants Saturday Elections Cancelled by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2010
violent:

Maranatha!
lol and what does that mean?

(1) (Reply)

Fec Grants Nigerian Citizenship To 82 Foreigners ! / A Big Shame On Our So Called Igbo Leaders / Nigeria Need A Good And Godly Leader. Changing The Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.