Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? (1138 Views)

How To Know If You Have Been Called By God / Maurice Ampaw: Screaming God's Name During Sex Will Grant You Heaven / Prophet Kumchacha: Women Who Scream God's Name During Sex Will End Up In Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 6:17pm On Jan 18, 2019
Deuteronomy 28:10

"So all the peoples of the earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will be afraid of you.

2 Samuel 6:2

And David arose and went with all the people who were with him to Baale-judah, to bring up from there the ark of God which is called by the Name, the very name of the LORD of hosts who is enthroned above the cherubim.

Even an inanimate object like the Ark is called by God's name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Goshen360(m): 6:27am On Jan 19, 2019
cool
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 03, 2019
PastorAIO:

Deuteronomy 28:10

"So all the peoples of the earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will be afraid of you.

2 Samuel 6:2

And David arose and went with all the people who were with him to Baale-judah, to bring up from there the ark of God which is called by the Name, the very name of the LORD of hosts who is enthroned above the cherubim.

Even an inanimate object like the Ark is called by God's name.
Very interesting question.

Classical Christian theology argues that be called by God's name is tantamount to be consecrated in the sense of set aside for the exclusive service of that deity. This spiritual consecration although intangible is usually represented by rules, sometimes odd ones, but that intends to depict the sacred character of that which is set aside for the deity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 11:15am On Feb 05, 2019
More verses of those who are called by Yhwh's name.

6I will say to the north, Give up,
and to the south, Do not withhold;
bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the end of the earth,
7[b]everyone who is called by my name,[/b]
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”
Isaiah 43

16‘After this I will return and rebuild the fallen tent of David. Its ruins I will rebuild, and I will restore it, 17so that the remnant of men may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles who bear My name, says the Lord who does these things

Acts 15

Isaiah 63:19
We have become like those You never ruled, like those not called by Your name.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 12:38pm On Feb 05, 2019
The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology contains the following in an article titled "Deification":

Deification (Greek theosis) is for Orthodoxy the goal of every Christian. Man, according to the Bible, is 'made in the image and likeness of God.'. . . It is possible for man to become like God, to become deified, to become god by grace. This doctrine is based on many passages of both OT and NT (e.g. Ps. 82 (81).6; II Peter 1.4), and it is essentially the teaching both of St Paul, though he tends to use the language of filial adoption (cf. Rom. 8.9—17; Gal. 4.5—7), and the Fourth Gospel (cf. 17.21—23).
The language of II Peter is taken up by St Irenaeus, in his famous phrase, 'if the Word has been made man, it is so that men may be made gods' (Adv. Haer V, Pref.), and becomes the standard in Greek theology. In the fourth century, St. Athanasius repeats Irenaeus almost word for word, and in the fifth century St Cyril of Alexandria says that we shall become sons 'by participation' (Greek methexis). Deification is the central idea in the spirituality of St. Maximus the Confessor, for whom the doctrine is the corollary of the Incarnation: 'Deification, briefly, is the encompassing and fulfillment of all times and ages,' . . . and St. Symeon the New Theologian at the end of the tenth century writes, 'He who is God by nature converses with those whom he has made gods by grace, as a friend converses with his friends, face to face.' . . . Wiki
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2019
@budaatum

I find pertinence in what you are saying, or more exactly what this article says. We have to remember that according to Peter, all of the gospel was to make make to elevate himself to the rank and order of the divine.

Peter reads :"he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

I believe Jesus, if his real life is anything close to what the selected books of the Canon portrays him to be, actually taught people to awake divinity in them = new birth.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2019
"Greater things than he did" he said, would we do, which, considering he was divine himself, is quite a lot, and when I look out there today, I can't but agree with him with our raising the dead and all.

My hope is this wonderful thread will help flesh out what it is that makes one able to be called by God's name.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:59pm On Feb 05, 2019
Budatum, of course diefication is an ancient christian belief, but to be called by God's name means to be set apart for him.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 4:07pm On Feb 05, 2019
Ubenedictus:
Budatum, of course diefication is an ancient christian belief, but to be called by God's name means to be set apart for him.
Deification actually predates Christianity since it was practised by the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians and the Chinese long before Christ.

As to it's meaning, I think we are way beyond simply "setting apart", though that might depend on what you mean. Do you mean it in the "you are gods" sense?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:27pm On Feb 05, 2019
budaatum:

Deification actually predates Christianity since it was practised by the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians and the Chinese long before Christ.

As to it's meaning, I think we are way beyond simply "setting apart", though that might depend on what you mean. Do you mean it in the "you are gods" sense?
i mean set apart in the sense goldenventures explained.

We are called by his name isn't about deification. And the way christians explain theosis is different from how it is explained in those cultures.

you are gods, deification is a important subject but I don't believe that is the meaning of called by his name.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 10:45pm On Feb 06, 2019
Ubenedictus:
i mean set apart in the sense goldenventures explained.

We are called by his name isn't about deification. And the way christians explain theosis is different from how it is explained in those cultures.

you are gods, deification is a important subject but I don't believe that is the meaning of called by his name.
I think you might mean how you "explain theosis is different from how it is explained in those cultures" , or how it has been explained to you, and I think if op wanted an off the shelf explanation, knowing a bit about op, he'd probably have gone to the shelf and picked one off himself.

I kind of think what op might be doing here is asking us to think about it, exercise the mind so to speak, at least that's what I think op's intention is here, and not just regurgitate what we already know or might have been told. But I guess since my ability to read minds is wonky, PastorAIO, please set me straight, would you.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 2:13pm On Feb 11, 2019
budaatum:

I think you might mean how you "explain theosis is different from how it is explained in those cultures" , or how it has been explained to you, and I think if op wanted an off the shelf explanation, knowing a bit about op, he'd probably have gone to the shelf and picked one off himself.

I kind of think what op might be doing here is asking us to think about it, exercise the mind so to speak, at least that's what I think op's intention is here, and not just regurgitate what we already know or might have been told. But I guess since my ability to read minds is wonky, PastorAIO, please set me straight, would you.

Frankly, I just suddenly became aware of the phrase and thought it was quite curious. And so I thought I’d put it to Nairalanders to see what people thought. Personally the Jury is still out for me as to what it implies.

As for the matter of Theosis, this is a subject that I think is at the heart of religion and the full realization of Human potential. I do believe that we are potentially divine and we all have to awaken the divinity within us.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 7:41pm On Feb 11, 2019
PastorAIO:
Frankly, I just suddenly became aware of the phrase and thought it was quite curious. And so I thought I’d put it to Nairalanders to see what people thought. Personally the Jury is still out for me as to what it implies.
Well tell us what the jury thought. Let's work with that.

PastorAIO:
As for the matter of Theosis, this is a subject that I think is at the heart of religion and the full realization of Human potential. I do believe that we are potentially divine and we all have to awaken the divinity within us.
[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis_%28Eastern_Christian_theology%29?wprov=sfla1]Theosis[/url], or deification, is a transformative process whose aim is likeness to or union with God, as taught by the Eastern Orthodox Church and Eastern Catholic Churches. As a process of transformation, theosis is brought about by the effects of catharsis (purification of mind and body) and theoria ('illumination' with the 'vision' of God). According to Eastern Christian teaching, theosis is very much the purpose of human life. It is considered achievable only through a synergy (or cooperation) between human activity and God's uncreated energies (or operations).

Educate us please! In which way do you think the matter of Theosis is at the heart of religion and the full realization of Human potential?

Permit me to mention this here of pitch. It's not for you PastorAIO but considering your grace its befittingly here. I got this new demon, her name is impatience.

That buda? The ol' buda?
The one before?
Nice and gentle,
sulks when insulted
Rejected by muttley!
Patient.....

Then,
Jesus's got buda and that buda died.

This buda?
The new buda?
Is a born again buda
Not the old buda

It takes tithes!

It has a sword!

buda evolved!

Cutting.

We will all live long and continue to prosper in the mighty name of Jesus!
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:33am On Feb 14, 2019
budaatum:

I do not regurgitate what i am told, I hold a position because i am convinced it is correct not just because someone said it.

If u disagree then disagree but dont insinuate that i dont do my own thinking.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 3:01pm On Feb 14, 2019
Ubenedictus:
I do not regurgitate what i am told, I hold a position because i am convinced it is correct not just because someone said it.

If u disagree then disagree but dont insinuate that i dont do my own thinking.
Uben, I do not think you regurgitated what you were told. And on this topic I am very dissatisfied with what you are "convinced is correct". It would seem you don't quite get my spirit, how dare someone like you whom I hold in very high esteem think I think they haven't a brain

I have read your posts and know that if you take time to pray on the issues raised on this thread, you will enlighten me much more than you did in your initial response which I critiqued as not your own thinking!

Please bookmark this thread so that you can easily find it when you receive missive from the HS. I must not be deprived of the wisdom that dwells in U Ben!
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 4:12pm On Feb 14, 2019
To me, to be called by God's name is complete disobedience to God who clearly said, "There is no other God". And when I take it to extremes, even calling Jesus the Son of God, God, is a sin, or at least, an error that God would most likely overlook since God sent him.

That said, consider the opinion expressed in What does the Bible mean by “you are gods” / "ye are gods" in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:00pm On Feb 14, 2019
budaatum:

Uben, I do not think you regurgitated what you were told. And on this topic I am very dissatisfied with what you are "convinced is correct". It would seem you don't quite get my spirit, how dare someone like you whom I hold in very high esteem think I think they haven't a brain

I have read your posts and know that if you take time to pray on the issues raised on this thread, you will enlighten me much more than you did in your initial response which I critiqued as not your own thinking!

Please bookmark this thread so that you can easily find it when you receive missive from the HS. I must not be deprived of the wisdom that dwells in U Ben!
I know u dont believe in the HS, so ur post above leaves a bad taste on my tongue.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by budaatum: 6:53pm On Feb 14, 2019
Ubenedictus:
I know u dont believe in the HS, so ur post above leaves a bad taste on my tongue.

'Bad taste', remove from Uben's tongue! In the name of the Father, his Son, the HS, and by Mary's Grace.

Buda's belief is no determinant of the truth, Uben.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:05pm On Feb 14, 2019
budaatum:

'Bad taste', remove from Uben's tongue! In the name of the Father, his Son, the HS, and by Mary's Grace.

Buda's belief is no determinant of the truth, Uben.
mary does not posses in d sense of 'own' grace, she too received grace. Grace is the divine goodness shown to us creatures. God 'has' grace, we all receive grace from him.

'Mary's grace' is an odd statement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2019
budaatum:

Well tell us what the jury thought. Let's work with that.
[/size]

Well the jury has come back from recess and have found the points made GoldenVentures quite compelling. They also noted that it is not only people or object that are called by the name of the Lord, but that also there are certain places where the Name of the Lord is said to rest or be situated. In fact it seems that the Name of the lord is as much a deity to be worshiped as the Lord himself.

Deuteronomy 12:
11then to the place that the Lord your God will choose, to make his name dwell there, there you shall bring all that I command you: your burnt offerings and your sacrifices, your tithes and the contribution that you present, and all your finest vow offerings that you vow to the Lord.

Kings 5:3

"You know that David my father was unable to build a house for the name of the LORD his God because of the wars which surrounded him, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.

Jeremiah 7:11

"Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," declares the LORD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 11:03am On Feb 17, 2019
PastorAIO:

Well the jury has come back from recess and have found the points made GoldenVentures quite compelling. They also noted that it is not only people or object that are called by the name of the Lord, but that also there are certain places where the Name of the Lord is said to rest or be situated. In fact it seems that the Name of the lord is as much a deity to be worshiped as the Lord himself.

Deuteronomy 12:
11then to the place that the Lord your God will choose, to make his name dwell there, there you shall bring all that I command you: your burnt offerings and your sacrifices, your tithes and the contribution that you present, and all your finest vow offerings that you vow to the Lord.

Kings 5:3

"You know that David my father was unable to build a house for the name of the LORD his God because of the wars which surrounded him, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.

Jeremiah 7:11

"Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," declares the LORD.

A good question would be whether these places are made sacred, i.e consecrated, or Are they inherently sacred?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:50pm On Feb 17, 2019
PastorAIO:

A good question would be whether these places are made sacred, i.e consecrated, or Are they inherently sacred?
The issue of sacred and holy for jews is tied to the issue of been set apart and tabooed.

been sacred is not inherent, it is a function of divine chioce, when God says this is my people, he sets them apart and cause he 'name' to dwell with them, a place or thing chosen by God for his worship is also set apart, OR the people of God may set those thing apart for divine worship and call God's name upon them. aka consecration.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2019
Ubenedictus:
The issue of sacred and holy for jews is tied to the issue of been set apart and tabooed.

been sacred is not inherent, it is a function of divine chioce, when God says this is my people, he sets them apart and cause he 'name' to dwell with them, a place or thing chosen by God for his worship is also set apart, OR the people of God may set those thing apart for divine worship and call God's name upon them. aka consecration.

I speak of inherently sacred places because we find these in pagan religions all over the world. Certain places are associated with certain deities. Certain mountains, certain rivers even certain wells or lakes are associated with certain deities. People go to certain places to engage with the deities presiding over those places.

Even in old Hebrew religion we hear of stories like Jacob encountering the Lord in a certain place and subsequently naming that place Bethel, (house of El in Hebrew). He then consecrated the place, but the consecration came after the discovery that El was present in that place.

It is also apparent in the bible that there was at some point a tussle between the priesthood in Jerusalem after the Temple was constructed and the Local priests of these far flung places where the Name of God dwelled. There was a power struggle and the priesthood in Jerusalem won.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Called By God's Name? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2019
I didnt really think of that at the time but i think i covered it.

I dont believe those places are inherently sacred...let me explain.

For a jew God is all holy, in other word all kadosh, all tabooed anything associated with the divine is also tabooed, my guess is that understanding is behind what you see in the first 5 books.
any where the manifest presence of God was experienced an altar of stone was made and a sacrifice offered. That presence of the all tabooed God sets the place apart.

I dont think the place is inherently sacred, instead because one experienced GOD's manifest presence there, that sets it apart. For a jew it would mean God chose that place to reveal himself. As i said set apart is a function of divine choice.

when the temple was built these places were 'bad mouthed' with the priests making the temple the exclusive place for sacrifice and condemning all others. Also i think heads of families actually officiated sacrifices b4 the priest shut that down the case of gideon for example.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Poju Oyemade Speaks On Daddy Freeze's Saga / Help Me!!masturbation Is Killin Me / St Francis Catholic Church Owo Bombed, Rev.fr. Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.