Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? (10562 Views)

When A Molester Devours An Entire Family! / I Need Tips On How To Cope With The Loss Of An Entire Family / Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 3:05am On Aug 14, 2010
Hi y'all. grin

My bf told me that its time I should go back with him to Nigeria for Christmas this year for a month to spend time with his family, get to know his family even more and also to learn how to make hair (I always wanted to learn to make hair cheesy) and to learn some NIgerian Recipe's cause I have alot of passion for cooking! kiss kiss kiss

I have met with his parents cause they came to visit us both last year but he wants me to meet up with his other family members this year and also see how is it like celevrating Christmas in Nigeria.

Based on my customs, it is a compulsory to buy something for his family members and I have to buy for:-

1) Baba
2) Mama Angela
3) His eldest sister, her husband and 3 kids (eldest daughter age 10, second son age 7 and youngest daughter age 5)
4) His 2nd sister and her fiance
5) Third sister age 28
6) His brother age 24
7) His youngest sister age 10

I have bought his baba a compact easy carrying travelling bag cause his father works as a long distance driver and he always packs his stuff but unfortunately he uses a plastic bag to travel or a worn out bag due to the rough condition of his working environment. This bag is no ordinary bag. Its soo durable and its made from lipsrsealed skin (thats why its soo durable) and no matter what people do with it, it wont break apart easily. . . grin But do u think I need to get him something else?

His mom, I bought her a leather wallet.

I plan to buy his three sisters a Victoria Secret Perfume but Im not sure if in NIgeria, the brand Victoria Secret is known there or not and whether if its a good brand cause where I come from, most of us have not heard of this brand. embarassed lipsrsealed except me.

I dont know what to buy for his brother, his sister's husband and fiance, . . I find it hard just thinking on what to buy for a guy.

And his sister's 3 kids, I have not figured it out either. . . .

But his youngest sister, I bought her an Ipod Shuffle. I bought that using my bonus point from a card so that really helped me save money.

So guys,

1) Is giving his father a travelling bag enough?
2)Is giving his mother a leather wallet enough?
3) For his three sisters, do u think its appropriate to give a Victoria Secret Perfume?
4) What shall I get for his eldest sister's husband?
5) What shall I get for his eldest sister's 3 children?
6) What shall I get for his eldest sister's fiance?
7) What shall I get for his brother?
cool Do u think I should buy gifts for his friends and incase if theres any other relatives? What shall I give them?

I know December is a long way to go butI dont have that kinda money to be spending on one go at one time so Im taking my sweet time to spend money bit by bit. My bf doesnt know about this because in my culture, its not his role to know cause the gifts has to come from me.

Would appreciate your help and please do not recommend a very very expensive gift as I am not Obasanjo's daughter.

Thank you wink
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 14, 2010
Buy the dad a watch and mum a nice handbag, the sisters could make do with a perfume or shoes and handbags as well
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 3:08am On Aug 14, 2010
The perfume which Im eyeing for is this

I plan to buy the Victoria Secret Garden Perfume

1) Vanilla Lace Scent
2) Delicate petals Scent
3) Secret Charm Scent

The smell sweet pass EGusi Soup  tongue
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 3:09am On Aug 14, 2010
jennykadry:

Buy the dad a watch and mum a nice handbag, the sisters could make do with a perfume or shoes and handbags as well

I thought about it but what kinda watch and handbag you think would be suitable?
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 3:11am On Aug 14, 2010
Get the men a pair of pants each, the little kids depending on their age could go with clothes each or some baby toys
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 3:13am On Aug 14, 2010
A gold or silver watch for the dad, a mummys bag( the nice big handbags) we call it mummys handbag would go well with the mum, the sisters could make use of nice medium size bags as well
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by SeanT21(f): 3:46am On Aug 14, 2010
R u guys ready to tie the knot?? Meeting the parents is a BIG step.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 4:22am On Aug 14, 2010
jennykadry:

Get the men a pair of pants each, the little kids depending on their age could go with clothes each or some baby toys

LIke black slacks ? But I dont know their sizes naaa. As for the kids, ok I will see if I can find some nice clothes or toys.

SeanT21:

R u guys ready to tie the knot?? Meeting the parents is a BIG step.

Tie the whot? Oh Nooo. . . . . . Its just celebrating Christmas with his family naaa. Not that extreme embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by manny4life(m): 4:30am On Aug 14, 2010
Sister u have time o, shoot, when my sis went home, only mom and father of her yet to be husband she bought something but it's good anyways. I told her not to waste her money period.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 6:19am On Aug 14, 2010
manny4life:

Sister u have time o, shoot, when my sis went home, only mom and father of her yet to be husband she bought something but it's good anyways. I told her not to waste her money period.

but its part of my customs naa sad
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by SeanT21(f): 6:51am On Aug 14, 2010
Gabry:

LIke black slacks ? But I dont know their sizes naaa. As for the kids, ok I will see if I can find some nice clothes or toys.

Tie the whot? Oh Nooo. . . . . . Its just celebrating Christmas with his family naaa. Not that extreme embarassed lipsrsealed

hmm, okay. If you say so sis.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by nortyd: 11:32am On Aug 14, 2010
i think the bag and wallet is a good idea perhaps put some money in the wallet
im doing the same as you but i go in november
not sure i would take perfume remember not to put it in your hand luggage
my hubby asked me to get a cardigan for his dad
shoes for his mum
pumps for his house mates , they are also my good friends
i will be takeing some childrens clothes for his neices and nephew maybe colouring book and pens
somebags of sweets
ive got t shirts for some police guys ive made friends with

hope my list helps and gives you a good idea
last christmas i bought watches, some henleys t shirts,knecklace but half of the parcels didnt arrived i guess they were stolen
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 14, 2010
Your bf should atleast know the size of the men or have an idea if what it might be

I wouldnt recommend money to be given first off, dont start with money cos if you do they will expect it from you all the time

Yes you might end up dashing them a couple of naira notes but that should come last. go with the gifts first
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2010
nortyd:

i think the bag and wallet is a good idea perhaps put some money in the wallet
im doing the same as you but i go in november
not sure i would take perfume remember not to put it in your hand luggage
my hubby asked me to get a cardigan for his dad
shoes for his mum
pumps for his house mates , they are also my good friends
i will be takeing some childrens clothes for his neices and nephew maybe colouring book and pens
somebags of sweets
ive got t shirts for some police guys ive made friends with

hope my list helps and gives you a good idea
last christmas i bought watches, some henleys t shirts,knecklace but half of the parcels didnt arrived i guess they were stolen

u mean you send your parcels via post instead of checking them in through your flight? shocked shocked shocked

jennykadry:

Your bf should atleast know the size of the men or have an idea if what it might be

I wouldnt recommend money to be given first off, dont start with money cos if you do they will expect it from you all the time

Yes you might end up dashing them a couple of naira notes but that should come last. go with the gifts first

My bf dosnt know that Im buying gifts for his family and I dont intend to let him know. I wont give any money because in my culture, only a married woman can give money, not a single lady.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by nortyd: 7:26pm On Aug 14, 2010
no, lol i sent them as i didnt visit at christmas

hope you have a great time
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by touchmeder: 9:31pm On Aug 14, 2010
i think wot u got for d dad is ok, d mum a bag, sisters perfume, men perhaps a tie, aftershave or something
kids cloths maybe a dress here or a shirt, sandals or shoes
a reasonable family wont put so much on you and would b greatful for whatever little thing you bring
enjoy naija christmas der is lovely,
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by marcus1234: 9:31pm On Aug 14, 2010
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Ivynwa(f): 10:07pm On Aug 14, 2010
@Gabry
   You are sweeter than I even thought. I appreciate your good-heartedness. Giving because you really want to give not to seek affection and draw closer to the boyfriend's family like some of our Naija ladies do. A certain lady I know (did she even buy new stuffs for the sister -in-law then, can't remember because the girl told me she was given handed-down clothes) when she was being courted by the brother. Then immediately they got married, the sister-in-law was seriously rebuked (by that same lady that was acting up nice to her before she got married to her brother) for wearing one of her accessories. Now she talks down on the girl who visits her brother sometimes and once even asked her "what she is still doing in her brother's house?". Some of our ladies are only as nice as they are able to get into the hearts of the family of their boyfriends and after the wedding, that same person will remind you----that your brother's house is now her property. I am not joking here----it happens.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by coolier(f): 2:51am On Aug 15, 2010
Gabry:

I have bought his baba a compact easy carrying travelling bag cause his father works as a long distance driver and he always packs his stuff but unfortunately he uses a plastic bag to travel or a worn out bag due to the rough condition of his working environment.

His mom, I bought her a leather wallet.

Very funny! Am ROTFL. Is this some kind of a joke or is this for real? All the way from (where are you Gabry?) - a carry bag, a leather wallet, for your in-laws at Xmas? you think our people would appreciate those kind of gifts? What will Mama do with a leather wallet, keep her credit cards and notes in it? I bet she would end up giving it to somebody else and hating you for giving it to her.

I would think 10yards of Guinea Brocade for Baba (it's not that expensive) and a small Lace material for Mama would gladden their hearts at Christmas time and they would be pleased with you. I wouldn't give them a carry bag and wallet especially at Xmas time. To me, it's inappropriate. The others don't matter much to me.

1 Like

Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 2:55am On Aug 15, 2010
True coolier, when i saw the wallet i was like shocked shocked mamas love keeping their money inside their bra or tie it inside their wrapper

She might not find guinea brocade or lace materials in malaysia, I might be wrong
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Nobody: 2:56am On Aug 15, 2010
jennykadry:

True coolier, when i saw the wallet i was like shocked shocked mamas love keeping their money inside their bra or tie it inside their wrapper

She might not find guinea brocade or lace materials in malaysia, I might be wrong

I still do it grin
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by coolier(f): 3:02am On Aug 15, 2010
jennykadry:

Is she in Malaysia now? Then she takes the money to Nigeria and buy it there, might even be cheaper.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 5:54am On Aug 15, 2010
nortyd:

no, lol i sent them as i didnt visit at christmas

hope you have a great time

Usually if I would like to send something there, I would wait till any of my friends goes thre and I will hand it over to them. Cause I know I cannot depend on the Nigerian postal services! angry

marcus1234:

Nice, cheesy

[img]http://s07.flagcounter.com/count/DymW/bg=ffffff/txt=ffffff/border=ffffff/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/[/img]

Wetin be nice for hia sef? What is your recommendation?
Ivynwa:

@Gabry
   You are sweeter than I even thought. I appreciate your good-heartedness. Giving because you really want to give not to seek affection and draw closer to the boyfriend's family like some of our Naija ladies do. A certain lady I know (did she even buy new stuffs for the sister -in-law then, can't remember because the girl told me she was given handed-down clothes) when she was being courted by the brother. Then immediately they got married, the sister-in-law was seriously rebuked (by that same lady that was acting up nice to her before she got married to her brother) for wearing one of her accessories. Now she talks down on the girl who visits her brother sometimes and once even asked her "what she is still doing in her brother's house?". Some of our ladies are only as nice as they are able to get into the hearts of the family of their boyfriends and after the wedding, that same person will remind you----that your brother's house is now her property. I am not joking here----it happens.
yes, but please do not generalize. Not everyone is like that. Cause If I were to generalize as well, I would claim China to be fraudsters in duplicating original products and Nigeria to be 419 and malaysia to be human trafikkers and rapers and etc etc which is not a good thing cause not everyone is like that. but back to the question, what shall I get for them?

coolier:

Very funny! Am ROTFL. Is this some kind of a joke or is this for real? All the way from (where are you Gabry?) - a carry bag, a leather wallet, for your in-laws at Xmas? you think our people would appreciate those kind of gifts? What will Mama do with a leather wallet, keep her credit cards and notes in it? I bet she would end up giving it to somebody else and hating you for giving it to her.

I would think 10yards of Guinea Brocade for Baba (it's not that expensive) and a small Lace material for Mama would gladden their hearts at Christmas time and they would be pleased with you. I wouldn't give them a carry bag and wallet especially at Xmas time. To me, it's inappropriate. The others don't matter much to me.

You dont need to sound so sarcastic. let me remind you that I am not a Nigerian and Im not aware of what gifts your people would like thats why I came out with this thread. if you dont think its right, just say "I dont think its appropriate to give so and so instead of laughing hard about it really" undecided

And what is a Guinea Brocade

jennykadry:

Well, thanks for mentioning it now cause I nevr knew they keep their money there. . .
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by coolier(f): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2010
Gabry:

You dont need to sound so sarcastic. let me remind you that I am not a Nigerian and Im not aware of what gifts your people would like thats why I came out with this thread. if you dont think its right, just say "I dont think its appropriate to give so and so instead of laughing hard about it really" undecided

And what is a Guinea Brocade

Where exactly are you from Gabry? angry so I know how to give you the right reply to this and also educate you more about "my people" that you're marrying into - their likes and dislikes. Brocade is an English word, even you should know that, check it in the dictionary.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Hotstepper(f): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2010
buy the dad watch nd the mum a nice handbag.
for the ladies, buy them PERFUMES nd not body spray from da pixs u showed
for the men, nice polo/gulf shirts will be nice
for the little sister nd his nephew nd nieces, children's stuff aint hard to find and afforadale. stuff like dress, shoe etc
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Outstrip(f): 8:21pm On Aug 15, 2010
Gabry it's not the custom to buy anybody anything. I like your ideas for the parents but make it a handbag for the mother not just a wallet. Everybody knows victoria's secret in Nigeria but you do not need to buy anything for siblings if you do not want to.
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 1:29am On Aug 16, 2010
coolier:

Where exactly are you from Gabry?  angry so I know how to give you the right reply to this and also educate you more about "my people" that you're marrying into - their likes and dislikes. Brocade is an English word, even you should know that, check it in the dictionary.

Gosh! U sound so rude most of the time.  . .  What is up with you and that temper?

If you dont intend to be helpful. . .  Making statements like 
Brocade is an English word, even you should know that, check it in the dictionary.
, than dont post cause seriously, I dont need a person like you to spoil my early morning  angry

And moving on!  angry

Hotstepper:

buy the dad watch nd the mum a nice handbag.
for the ladies, buy them PERFUMES nd not body spray from da pixs u showed
for the men, nice polo/gulf shirts will be nice
for the little sister nd his nephew nd nieces, children's stuff aint hard to find and afforadale. stuff like dress, shoe etc

Ok, I will do so. but that one no be body spray naa. Its a perfume, thats why its called Eau De Toilette which means perfume  smiley unless if Im mistaken embarassed lipsrsealed
Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep that to mind.   wink

Outstrip:

Gabry it's not the custom to buy anybody anything. I like your ideas for the parents but make it a handbag for the mother not just a wallet. Everybody knows victoria's secret in Nigeria but you do not need to buy anything for siblings if you do not want to.

Hey there, but its my customs. My mom always tells me that when I go visiting, I must always give the person I visit something because it is rude not to give anything. But if I were to give money, I must make sure Im married than I can give money but if not, its better to give gifts.

Ok, thank you for the suggestion. U've been helpful  smiley

1 Like

Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Ivynwa(f): 12:44am On Aug 17, 2010
yes, but please do not generalize. Not everyone is like that. Cause If I were to generalize as well, I would claim China to be fraudsters in duplicating original products and Nigeria to be 419 and malaysia to be human trafikkers and rapers and etc etc which is not a good thing cause not everyone is like that. but back to the question, what shall I get for them?

[quote]

I myself do not like it too when people generalize, I did not generalize. I said some Nigerian ladies not all. It happened to somebody close to me and I was shocked. Okay I will suggest that you get like 3 shirts and trousers(pants) for your boo's dad and some sweet looking gown, wig for his momsie. Just to have them looking boyoyo boyoyo(nice nice)----smile

1 Like

Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by Gabry(f): 1:47am On Aug 17, 2010
Ivynwa:

I myself do not like it too when people generalize, I did not generalize. I said some Nigerian ladies not all. It happened to somebody close to me and I was shocked. Okay I will suggest that you get like 3 shirts and trousers(pants) for your boo's dad and some sweet looking gown, wig for his momsie. Just to have them looking boyoyo boyoyo(nice nice)----smile

U mean a Nigerian couple (guy and lady) got married and the Nigerian lady did things like that? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? by melidee: 1:37pm On Aug 30, 2010
My advice buy them all a little something nothing to expensive. Make sure you especially take care of mum and dad, From awestern woman married to Nigerian

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Brand Of Freezer To Buy In Nigeria? / Is It A Woman's Responsibility/duty To Wash Her Husband's Clothes? / My Side Of The Story - Siena’s Ex-wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.