Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ (4901 Views)

Sad Thing I Witnessed Yesterday In A Bar Between A Man & His Girlfriend / My Experience As A Bar Man In A Lagos Brothel . ( Life lesson) / Man Proposes To His Girlfriend At A Bar And Event Centre (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2019
EPISODE 1

It had started as a great day but it quickly deteriorated. I start my job at a law firm today. I am a lawyer, and I have being called to the Nigerian bar. After five years in the university and a year in law school with service year as the last phase, I have definitely earned the right to be called a barrister. I don’t care what those stripped ‘coat’ and tweed jacket wearing, stuffy, old professors say about it. According to them, you need to have practical experience before you can call yourself a barrister. But, I have earned my stripes, darn it.

I am so excited to start at my new job today. It signifies the end of an era, the beginning of a new life and the continuity of a process to me. It is the end of run-down classrooms, the beginning of shiny offices and the continuity of learning albeit from people and not from books.

If you are a lawyer, you’ll understand what I’m talking about. The exhilaration you feel to get out from under the shadow of your professors and their archaic method of practicing law and the thrill of getting to practice law of the 21st century. It’s like an aphrodisiac to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love my lecturers (maybe), I’m just glad to be done with them (definitely).

So, my day starts really well. I will be dropped off at the office by my dad because it’s on his way to work. This will be our usual routine; he’ll drop me in the morning and by the close of work, I’ll find my way back home. I don’t mind, it’s less stress for me and I’ll have some time with my dad every morning.

So, after taking a cup of beverage and some bread, we set out. We have to leave early so as to beat the Lagos traffic. In Lagos, you have to be very innovative with traffic. You learn when to leave the house to work so as to drive against the flow of traffic and you learn when to leave work so as to avoid rush hour, even if it means staying later than you should have, knowing you won’t be paid overtime. Such is Lagos life.

Flowers in Chania
Despite the precautions taken, I get to the office late, just a few minutes after eight. On getting there, I meet my co-workers in a meeting with the partners. A meeting is usually held every Monday morning to go over the previous weeks’ work load and to strategize anew. I sneak into the conference room where the meeting is taking place and sit quietly in a chair by the corner.

“Nice of you to join us Miss Leona. I hope you don’t plan on making this the norm?” the senior partner, Barr Chuks asks.

“N…n…no sir.” I stutter. “I got stuck in traffic.”

“Really? What a shame!”

I hear snickers around the room as the other staff thought my predicament is funny. This is so not how I want to start my first day here. I had it all planned out; get to the office early, prepare for the meeting, think of something precise to contribute and then go in with confidence. Oh well, you know what they say about the best laid plans.

“Try not to get stuck tomorrow okay?” he looks at me over the rim of his..............................................

Continue Reading: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/18/love-in-a-bar-1-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 10:29pm On Jan 18, 2019
Intersesting
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 1:20am On Jan 19, 2019
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 10:55pm On Jan 19, 2019
EPISODE 2

The rest of the day passed in a blur of activities and by lunchtime, I was ready to drop from exhaustion. Never have I done as much work as I did this morning in my entire life. First, I was given a brief to prepare by one obnoxious senior associate. The guy had been so rude; I almost threw his brief in his face.

He had approached the tiny desk I was allotted in the corner and unceremoniously dumped a stack of files in front of me. “Hey, late girl.” He said

I looked up and almost swooned. His was the face of an Adonis. He is tall, dark and handsome. Yeah, yeah, I know its cliché but I just couldn’t help myself. His face had such character as to be forceful. I was enthralled even though I was a bit irritated he had called me ‘late girl’.

“I need you to go through these files and find me something I can use in court.” that said, he turned and started to walk away. He then turned back. “Bring it by my office when you are done.”

“Where is your office?” I managed to ask before he was out of earshot.

Flowers in Chania
“I’m sure you’ll find me.” he said without looking back

Suffice to say, I was so mad, I almost flew out of my desk. Then, I calmed myself down and remembered it’s a new job and I have to go through the ‘initiation’ process.

Before long, I am engrossed in the case and I actually find it interesting. It is a criminal case about oil spillage. A drilling company that refused to clean up its mess, thereby endangering the lives of the people in the community. The community had to fight for their rights, hence the court case. I can see the notes he made by the side. It seems this is the case’s second hearing in court.

So, here I am, at lunchtime and I enter the cafeteria. The law office provided a small cafeteria in the office building because they don’t what their staff running around, looking for food at lunchtime. The cafeteria is convenient and very affordable.

Continue Reading Episode 2 here- click here
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 1:14am On Jan 20, 2019
Episode 3 loading
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 9:27am On Jan 20, 2019
EPISODE 3

If you have not read the previous episode follow this link Love in the Bar 2
Throughout the ride to court, I sit stiffly beside Dapo. I am self-conscious and tongue-tied and wish I could just disappear into thin air. I don’t want to be here and I know I don’t have to be. I guess he just enjoys playing the game with me.

He does not talk to me too. I guess he felt if he did, I will rebuff him. I wouldn’t have but I won’t be comfortable too. I just want to be out of here. He sits quietly through the hassle of the ride, probably thinking of his arguments and how he will play them out.

We drive into the court compound and park. We enter the court room and find our way to the bar. The bar is the term used for where lawyers sit in court.

I bring out my writing pad so as to jot some important points and I prepare to observe and file away everything I can in my brain. Dapo sits beside me, opens the file before him and before long is engrossed. He only raises his head when the court clerk clears his throat and announces the presence of the judge. We all stand up respectfully.

We had to wait quietly though for the judge to read through the case and become acquainted with it over again. After a few minutes, he looks up and Dapo stands up immediately to present his case.

“My Lord…..” he began

From the first moment he opens his mouth, I was transfixed. He states his case with confidence and a bit of arrogance if I may say so. That didn’t deter me from admiring him though. You could see he knows what he’s talking about and that he did his research well. I’ll like to think my notes helped too.

He argues his case intelligently and cross-examines the defense witnesses expertly. I was awed and I could only pray to be as good as him one day.

I remembered to take notes amidst it all though. I recognized some weak areas in the defense strategy and hope to present them to Dapo, maybe he can strengthen his case through that.

Before long, it was over and the case was adjourned to sometime next month. We stood up once more as the judge went out. I gathered my notes together.

“So, how was your first day in court?” Dapo asked

“Interesting enough.”

“Enough? Why enough?”

“Oh it’s not to shade the proceedings in any way. I just feel maybe there’ll be more excitement if it were
a criminal case.” I shrugged

CLICK HERE TO READ FULL EPISODE 3
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 2:29pm On Jan 20, 2019
EPISODE 4 LOADING
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2019
EPISODE 4

To read the previous episode, click Love in the Bar 3

By the third week, I have settled in to a form of routine. I was able to prove my ingenuity to my boss when he gave me a file to prepare and told me to accompany him to court. He actually praised me, in his words ‘I like how you handle yourself.” Since then, I excelled in all the work he gave to me.

I was happy albeit stressed but I was learning and that was enough for me. In the three weeks, I appeared in court three times, that is an average of once a week. All the other time was spent doing research for senior associates, writing briefs and running from Dapo.
Since the episode in his office, I couldn’t bear to face him. I avoided him at all costs and he didn’t approach me either. He probably does not want a wide-eyed idiot staring at him all day. So embarrassing.

I was at my desk, working on a file for Sunmola. Junior associates are at the beck and call of everybody in the firm and we usually have a lot of grubby work to do. Sunmola and I are fast friends despite her seniority in the firm. We meet for lunch every afternoon and even spent last Saturday together at the movies.

A presence across my desk broke my concentration. I looked up, and straight into the face of Dapo, what could he want? More work for me. I frowned slightly.

“Why the sad look? Aren’t you happy to see me?”

I rolled my eyes, waiting for him to tell me why he’s in front of my desk. “What do you want?” I asked uncharitably, still feeling the sting of embarrassment.

“I just came by to see you.”

“Oh.” I peered at him curiously. “I would have offered you a seat but….” I gestured to the empty space before me.

“No problem.” He smiled. “Quick question, will you go out for a drink with me after work?

Uh? A drink? That came out of nowhere. “A drink?” I repeated aloud.

“Yeah. You know, those things that come out of bottles into cups and you sip?”

“I know what a drink is.”

“Oh? I would have argued that in court.”

“Very funny.” I laughed in spite of myself.

“So, would you?”

“Why?”

“Why? Well, let me think…it could be the fact that you annoy me and I want to give you a good dressing down or it could be that I like you and want to know more about you….” He trailed off

“Hmm, I’ll wager the former.”
“Really? Why?” he looked genuinely surprised

I shrugged. “We’ve not been best buddies since I started.”

“Hmm, it depends on your view. Well, would you like to find out? We could clear the air over a drink.”

“I’ll like that.”

“Cool. I’ll see you after work then.”

“Okay.”

I was excited and at the same time nervous. Why did he want to have a drink with me? Does he like me
or am I getting ahead of myself here? I decided I’ll better wait to solve the mystery. It’s just a few hours and I can wait. Maybe.

Luckily, I was able to restrain myself for the four hours twenty seven minutes till the close of work. I cleared my desk eagerly, barely able to contain my excitement, then I waited for him to come get me.

Before long, I saw him come from the direction of his office and I rose eagerly to meet him halfway. I tried to curb my eagerness and I hoped I was successful. It wouldn’t do for Mr. Arrogant to see me flustered or excited to go out with him. So, I decided to play it cool. By the time I got to him, my face was in a semblance of boredom/resignation. It didn’t last for long though. Mr. Ogre has a way of ferreting out my playful side.

I got in his car and we drove down to a small cozy eatery not too far from the office. By the time, we were seated and our order taken, I had learnt something else about him. He doesn’t take alcohol.

“What? No alcohol?” I asked curiously. “I would think by the end of a working day, you would want to unwind and relax with a cool drink.”

“Well,” He shrugged. “I don’t drink.”

That raised my curiosity antennae very high. I was practically almost electrocuted from the radio waves I was getting. I wanted to know more.

CONTINUE READING NOW: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/20/love-in-a-bar-4-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 8:05am On Jan 22, 2019
EPISODE 5

The next evening, I got together with my girlfriends. I was anxious to tell them about Dapo, I had already hinted that I had some gist for them and naturally, they were excited and waiting for what I had to say, so we decided to get together for drinks after work.

I knew their excitement majorly stemmed from the fact that I rarely have juicy gist for them and they have come to not expect much from me. The one who almost always has something to say is Cynthia, she’s the one with the body to die for and guys are always around her, hence her constant desire to rub it in our faces so to speak. She just had to tell us a story every time.

Peju is always skeptical about Cynthia’s stories and she once told me in confidence that she’s sure Cynthia exaggerates and adds more flesh to her story just to feel cool. According to her, no one can have that many admirers, men and women alike. That is Peju though; she’s always the voice of reason although sometimes her ‘reasoning’ borders on spite to me. She’s always so holier-than-thou, I find it quite tiresome.

The one after my very own heart is Winifred, we call her Winnie! after Winnie the Pooh albeit fondly. She’s just so cuddly and squishy and very warm, in and out. She’s a beautiful girl with a beautiful heart and of all my friends, I feel most comfortable with her. She’s not reed thin like the fashion world seems to dictate, she’s curvaceous and buxom and that makes her self-consciousness about her body which leads to a type of inferiority complex. I always tell her she’s beautiful but she does not believe me, she says it’s easy for me to say as I am of the ‘lepa’ horde.

Anyway, I got to our meeting place and found Peju already at the restaurant, seated none too patiently waiting for us. I walked towards her and gave her a peck on the cheek. She smiled. I saw she’s already nursing a bottle of Maltina.

“Leona, Leona, always the proper lady. Shey you have come again, abi?”

Her tone was not very flattering neither was it rude, it was roughly in between and I decided to ignore her and not take offence. “Hi Peju dearie. How was work today?”

“Oh, work was fine o. so how is the new job? Is it everything you thought it would be?” she took a sip of her drink.

“Yes it is. Very exciting and educative.” I was not about to tell her it could be a drag sometimes, especially for a junior associate, we get all the tedious work.

“So, what’s this all important gist you have for us?” she raised her brows

“Why don’t we wait for Cynthia and Winnie? I wouldn’t want to repeat myself. It would be better to tell it only once.”

“Okay.” She shrugged

Just then a waiter came to the table and asked for my order. I told him to wait for our friends so he could take the orders all at once. Winnie approached the table as I was still talking.

“Hold on for a minute.” I said to the waiter as I gave Winnie a hug. “What will you have?” I asked her

“Hmmm, I’ll have what she’s having.” She indicated Peju’s bottle of Maltina as she sat down on the chair directly opposite mine.

“Alright, I’ll have the same.” I told the waiter. “And a bottle of Smirnoff Ice too.”

I took the liberty to order for Cynthia as she’s the only one who takes alcohol amongst us and Smirnoff is her drink of choice. Cynthia, always the party girl.

CLICK NOW TO CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/20/love-in-a-bar-5-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 7:09pm On Jan 22, 2019
EPISODE 6

Throughout that weekend, it was like everything kept pointing to me being in love with Dapo.

Saturday went in a blur of activities. My family attended a wedding ceremony of the daughter of one of my dad’s colleagues at work. The wedding was very sweet and romantic but it just made me think of Dapo. I kept catching myself in the day-dream of us both getting married. In my mind, I was the bride and Dapo the groom. I went home very confused.

Sunday dawned bright and early and I was eager to get to church and cast all my burdens on God. I wanted to pray for the cleansing of my heart from all thoughts of Dapo, and ask instead for thoughts on how to move my career forward but it was as if God had different plans. I sat patiently through the message and stood up eagerly at the close of the sermon, I knew prayers were next.

The pastor made the altar call and still I waited patiently as people answered the call and he went through the basics. Finally, it was time to ask for what we want and I eagerly launched into my carefully crafted and thought out prayer points.

Before long, another voice began to intrude into my concentration. I tried to tune out the voice but try as I did, it just kept intruding. Then, against my better judgment, I started listening. The sister beside me was fervently praying for a husband, and here I am trying to bargain with God to take away the feelings I have for a guy. I felt God was trying to tell me something.

The lady kept praying and I couldn’t concentrate on my prayers anymore. I didn’t know when I spoke to her. “Sister,” I said. “Would you like to have Dapo? I don’t need him now.”

“What?” she turned to me with a look of total surprise on her face.

“I said, would you like to have Dapo? I have no use for him. Besides he’s a Yoruba guy.”

“What in the world? Who the hell is Dapo?” she asked, wide-eyed.

“Shh shh, don’t curse. We are in God’s presence, hallowed ground, you know?”

“Well? Why did you interrupt my prayers? Are you alright?”

“I can assure you I am perfectly fine. Never mind.” I resolutely turned back to my prayers. By then, the pastor was already calling a close to prayers so it was of no use. I was not impressed with God’s sense of humor though.

Needless to say, that sister avoided me like the plague after that incident but I couldn’t care less. As far as I was concerned, God didn’t answer my prayers because as soon as I left the church, the feelings I had for Dapo came rushing back like a tidal wave. So much for prayers.

Although I couldn’t wait to go back to work on Monday, in a way I also dreaded it. I was not eager to confirm if my feelings were true or not and I was not anxious to act the fool to Dapo once more.

I only hoped I would be able to rein in my feelings and not televise it on my face for the whole world to see. Since I could only wait to see what tomorrow would bring, there was no use worrying myself to death. I tightened my resolve and I set about reluctantly preparing for the new week. Just as I was about to iron my clothes for Monday, my phone rang. It was a strange number and I frowned as I picked the call.

CONTINUE READING EPISODE 6 NOW: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/20/love-in-a-bar-6-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 8:01am On Jan 24, 2019
EPISODE 7

I got to the office that Monday morning with mixed feelings. On one hand, I was happy to be back at work, ready to slay the dragons of the new week, ‘gladiators in suits’ as Olivia Pope would say in the popular TV series Scandal. On the other hand, I was apprehensive of my feelings for Dapo, which his late night call hadn’t done anything to help. I had my life all planned out, strictly career for the first two years before any romantic entanglements.

After all, I was quite young, just twenty-three, and I had all the time in the world to fall in love; I didn’t need these ‘feelings’ now and I wished they would just vanish. Well, as the saying goes, ‘if wishes were horses, beggars will ride’.

As I walked into the office, I was ambushed by Sunmola. She was a bit ruffled which was baffling. I had never seen her like that; she was always so put together and in control. Now, she looked flustered and bothered.

“Hi Leona. I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Good morning Sunmi.” I replied as I fondly call her. “Are you alright? Is there a problem?”

“Oh, I’m not dear. I need a big favor from you.”

“Okay, calm down. What is it?”

She took a deep breath in a bid to calm herself and launched into her reason for being so disturbed. “I have two court hearings today at the same time. That’s a major catastrophe as I cannot be at both at the same time and I don’t want to stand down any case or write for an adjournment since I’ve been on them for a while. I just want to get it over with. That’s where you come in. Can you go to one of the hearings on my behalf?”

I was not expecting that. “Whoa, whoa, slow down. Go to court?” I squeaked

“Yes.”

“Oh Sunmola. I just started working here. I’ve never been to court on my own.”

“Yes, I know. But you’ve appeared in court many times. You can handle it. Besides, I’ll give you the easier case.”

Whoa. I couldn’t imagine it. I was suddenly terrified. Go to court? On my own? As in, stand in front of the judge and other lawyers and state a case? Whoa.

Sunmola could see my misgivings. “Don’t worry Leona. It can only be your first time once. After then, it gets easier.”

Now, if there was anything I took pride in, it was that I considered myself fearless. I was ready to take on this challenge. In any case, it would keep me busy; take my mind off frivolities like fancying myself in love.

“It’s okay. You’ll tell me what to do?”

“Sure.”

“Alright then. Let’s go.”

By the time it was time for court, all my earlier bravado had fled, and I was so wound up..........

CONTINUE READING HERE: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-7-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 6:27pm On Jan 24, 2019
EPISODE 8 LOADING
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2019
EPISODE 8

I got back to the office and went in search of Sunmola. I found her in her office poring over some files. She looked up as I knocked and entered.

“Oh hi Leona. How was court? Were you okay?”

I smiled at her. “You are the best ‘semi-boss’ ever! I’m glad you thought of me to represent you today. It was the best ever.”

She returned my smile. “You are welcome. I take it all went well? From your bubbly countenance, I can tell.”

“It went great. Although at first, I was very nervous but I pulled myself together and represented my firm well.” I relayed proudly.

“Good to know. So, tell me what happened.”

I sat down and gave her the full gist. “…So the date for ruling is February 5th. Would you be available then?”

“I should be. Would you like to accompany me if you are free?”

“Sure, sure. I’ll like that.”

“Good. Thanks for helping today. You really saved my hide.”

“It was my pleasure, believe me.” I answered. “I hope nobody has missed me?”

“No, I covered for you. Although Dapo asked to see you when you got back.”

I frowned. Why would Dapo be looking for me? “Really? Why?” I asked her.

Sunmola shrugged. “I think he has something for you to do. Just go see him.”

“Okay.” I stood up, gave her a cursory wave and set off to look for Dapo. All my determination not to get too involved with him flew out the window as I went in search of him excitedly. So much for my resolve.

A few seconds later I got to his door just as he stepped out of his office. We collided and I stumbled, he quickly reached out to steady me. I looked into his eyes and my heart lurched. He looked intently at me and gave me a devastating smile. I was floored and I would have swooned if he were not holding on to my arm.

“Hi.” He whispered, staring at me.

“Hi.” I replied quietly, staring back, my heart thumping double time.

“How was court?” he smiled again. That smile was everything.

“It was fine.” He finally released my arm and I felt the loss of his touch keenly.

He kept staring at me with a look I couldn’t decipher and I wondered what he was looking at so intently.

I was flustered. “You wanted to see me?”

“Oh yes, please come in for a minute.” He opened his office door and gestured to me to precede him. I went in and sat down, thinking maybe he had something for me to do.

Nothing prepared me for what happened next though.

He came and stood directly in front of me. After a few seconds he bent his knees so he could be on the same level with me as I was on my seat. He took my hands and looked nervous. I had never seen him this way and I was befuddled. What was going on here? I mused.

He cleared his throat and opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He closed it and tried again. His voice came out raspy. “Leona…” he started, “I know we just met and we are only starting to get to know each other but I just have to say this.”

My heart started thumping so fast I feared it would jump out of my chest. What was he about to say? I thought. Was he about to confess his feelings for me?

He gripped my hands very tightly and I winced. The tension in this room was so thick it could be cut with a knife. Just say what’s on your mind already, I thought.

CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-8-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 9:17am On Jan 27, 2019
EPISODE 9

After Dapo proposed to me, we decided it was time to tell our families of our impending nuptials. I was not sure about mine though. I felt my parents might say I was too young to get married. I was totally unprepared for the reason they gave……

The day came when we were to inform my parents of our engagement and we both decided to do it by the weekend. It was arranged as just a friendly meeting between Dapo and my parents, no formal engagement party or introduction yet. I just told them a friend of mine was coming to visit and would like to meet them. They had looked at me funny as if to say ‘friend indeed’.

I was excited for my parents to meet the love of my life. I was sure they would love him as much as I did and see his kindness and good heart. Little did I know they wouldn’t get as far as noticing his attributes.

That Saturday, at exactly 2pm, Dapo honked at the gate to my house. He had previously informed me he was on his way and I was anxious to see him. I had missed him despite the fact that we saw each other just the previous day. I jumped up excitedly to meet him and beat the gateman to the gate. I waved him off and happily opened the gate for my man. Dapo drove in and parked his car and before he completely got out, I had jumped into his arms. He engulfed me in his arms and we hugged tightly, while he gave me a peck on the cheek.

I looked up and saw my mum at the terrace upstairs looking down at us. She was smiling and did not hide the fact that she was looking at us. She gave a cheery wave and went back in. I shook my head and rolled my eyes at her.

“What is it,babe?” Dapo asked, looking up to see what caught my attention.

“It’s nothing. Just my mum trying to be funny.”

“Your mum?” he asked alarmed.

“Yeah, she was looking down at us.”

“Seriously? Did she see me kiss you?” he looked around furtively.

I rolled my eyes once again and shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe.”

“Ohhh.” He groaned. “Now, she saw me pawing her daughter in her home.”

I laughed and looked at his face. “Really, babe? That’s so rich.” I rolled my eyes again.

“It’s not funny Leona. I’m trying to make a good impression here.”

I hugged him. “I know. Quit fidgeting, you’ll be fine. After all, you are my tall, dark and handsome man. They’ll fall in love with you just like I did.”

He feigned horror. “So, you love me just for my body?” he gasped.

“No, silly. I fell in love with the whole package, but the body is surely a strong incentive.” I batted my lashes playfully.

“My word! The audacity!”

I laughed uproariously. “Stop being funny and let’s go in before they send out a search party for us.” I turned to him and spoke seriously. “They’ll love you.” I looked into his eyes.

It was his turn to roll his eyes at me. “Let’s hope so.”

We held hands as we walked in to face the panel.

My parents were seated comfortably side by side on the large settee in the living room when we walked in. They were probably trying to portray a united front but I didn’t give it a second thought. I was rather amused.

“Dad, mum, this is Dapo.” I told them as we stood before them.

They were momentarily speechless and I could see they were stunned. What’s going on? I thought.................

CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-9-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2019
EPISODE 10

Where in the world did that come from? I couldn’t marry any other tribe apart from Igbo? What rubbish. What utter nonsense. What an idiotic way of thought and life. No, this wasn’t happening. This must be a dream. Wake up, Leona! You must be dreaming.

I started up from the bed suddenly. I had just had a nightmare where I heard my father say I couldn’t marry Dapo. Thank God, it was only a dream.

As I settled back into my bed and the sleep fog finally lifted, I realized it was no dream. It had actually happened and here I was with a massive hole in my heart where inexplicable joy had occupied only last week. How could my whole world have come crashing down in just a blink of an eye? How could I go from immeasurable joy to the most profound sadness in the space of a week? My father, that was how.

Here I was in my room hiding out from the terrible, terrible world out there and from the enemies in friends’ clothing a.k.a family, who stab you in the back in the name of wanting the best for you. Forgive my melodrama, but that was how I felt at that moment.

I had been hiding out in my room for the past week like an eleha only venturing out when I was absolutely sure the coast was clear, a job which I recruited my younger sister, Elena for. Yes, my parents were fans of English names and only reverted to tradition when I was about to get married. Such hypocrites. Elena was home on break from the university so I could use her as I saw fit as hers was the only friendly face I could see in this castle filled with enemies.

My parents had tried all they could to reach me in this past week but I hadn’t budged. They had pleaded, begged and finally threatened, giving me an ultimatum like the typical Nigerian parents. I ignored them all, determined to bemoan my loss as much as I could.

Even my girlfriends had been trying to reach me to no avail. They all called and I refused to pick their calls neither did I call them back. Even Winnie took it as far as to come to the house to see me but I instructed Elena to tell her I was out but to assure her that I was fine. She reluctantly left after a lot of assurances as to the state of my well being. I just was not ready to rehash everything that had transpired and I knew they would want the details.

I took a one week leave of absence from work amidst a lot of pleading citing the loss of a loved one as the reason. They might have interpreted it as the death of a close relative but I was not about to dissuade them. After all, I really lost a loved one. As I was not ready to see Dapo day after day after the debacle at my house, I had to take drastic measures, hence my mourning.

I had not communicated with Dapo for one week now via any means whether calls, text messages, emails or social media. He had been calling but I had not picked his calls, he had sent numerous messages but I hadn’t replied. A particular one touched my heart though and I cried for hours after reading it.

It read;
‘Leona, I know you are hurting and I have decided to give you some space. But, I want you to know I can’t and won’t let you go. I am ready to fight for our love and I will only give you a little while before I come crashing through your defenses and the wall you’ve built between us.
Yours always, D.

Tell me that didn’t break your heart? It broke mine into a million pieces.

After wallowing in self pity for a whole week, I decided to take the bull by its horns. I decided to take my own destiny into my own hands. I resolved to fight all and every dragon in the way of my love. After all, I was a lawyer…gladiators in suits. We do not believe in impossibilities.

As I lay there contemplating on how to go about it, I heard a knock on my............

CONTINNUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-10-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 9:59am On Jan 30, 2019
EPISODE 11 Loading
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 2:37pm On Jan 31, 2019
EPISODE 11

I got to the office on Monday morning with the hope of hashing everything out and coming to a conclusion that could work for all. I did not plan to give up my love and life for silly traditions and I was ready to fight for what I believed in.

I got to the office just in time for the usual Monday morning meetings. Most of the staff was seated already including Dapo but I was not able to exchange words with anyone before our boss came in.

As I sat demurely in my seat, listening to and watching what was happening around me, I could barely suppress the urge to jump on Dapo and hold him tightly. His eyes caught mine a few seconds into the meeting and he didn’t let go. Every time my eyes went back to him, his were still glued to my face. I was so self-conscious of his scrutiny, I was sure others noticed too.

As soon as the meeting was over, I saw him headed straight towards me. He was detained by people wanting to say hello to him but he quickly brushed them off and kept coming. Then, I was surrounded by people who wanted to ask how I was faring after my loss. I received condolence messages one after the other, smiling and nodding and looking grave whenever it was needed but my mind was on the handsome man moving towards me with such determination etched on his face.

He finally reached me and took my hand. I guessed he couldn’t wait to touch me. “How are you doing Leona? Sorry about your loss. Who died anyway?”

I couldn’t believe him. Was he trying to be funny? Of course, he knew nobody had died. I decided to play his game. “Oh, someone very special.”

“Really?” he squeezed my hand. “Who? I hope the person was old?”

“Oh no. Quite young actually. It was such a big loss. It was devastating and it broke my heart. He had such a full life ahead of him.”

“He, uh?” his eyes sparkled. I could tell he was enjoying himself.

“Yes. A cousin very dear to my heart.” I batted my eyes and smiled impishly.

“Eyah. So sorry for your loss. Accept my condolences.” Adesuwa, an intern in the firm said, patted my back and left.

One by one those who surrounded us left until it remained just me and Dapo. “Now, I have you all to myself and there is nowhere to run.” His words sounded like both a promise and a threat.

He dragged me by the hand and headed straight in the direction of his office. On getting into the privacy of his office, he didn’t even give me time to utter a single word before crushing me to him and kissing me deeply. I was momentarily caught off guard before I caught on and kissed him back with everything I’ve got.

A little while later, I pulled back and he released me reluctantly. We wouldn’t want someone to walk in on us in this position; after all we were in the work place.

“I’ve really missed you.” He murmured, still holding on to me.

“I missed you too.”

“I don’t understand though. Why did you shut me out?”

“I just needed to work some things out, okay? I hope you understand?”

“I thought as much but I was hurt all the same.”

“I’m sorry for putting you through all that.” I led him in and sat down pulling him into a chair opposite me, still holding on to his hand. “But you do understand.............................................

CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-11-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 9:27am On Feb 01, 2019
EPISODE 12

I got to Enugu on Friday evening and was amazed at the changes that had taken place in the eastern city. Enugu had changed so much since I had been there last that I couldn’t believe it. The city exudes an aura of sophistication that was not present years back and I could see it had attained a new level of civilization.

It’s been twelve years since I last visited Enugu. Since then, my aunt had always made the trip to Lagos to see us.

I got out from departures and looked around for any familiar face along the rows of cars parked in front of the airport. I was supposed to be picked up by my cousin but I didn’t see his face among the eager people waiting to see their loved ones. As I stood there, wondering what was going on, I felt a touch at my elbow. I looked back into the smiling face of Ikenna, the second son of my aunt.

“Hi Leona. How was the trip?” he asked as he took my bags.

I hugged him exuberantly and he was so surprised it took him some few seconds to return my hug. It’s been a few months I saw him, so I was a bit excited. “Na me you dey greet like oyinbo man? You no serious o.” I admonished, speaking pidgin English.

He laughed and decided to reply in pidgin too. “You no say na you be the oyinbo now. Me I be loci o.”

“Yeah right.” I rolled my eyes. He started leading to the car parked a way off. “How’s aunty Chioma?”

“She’s good. She’s excited to have you here.”

“I’m excited to be here too.” I replied. Although for serious business. I added silently.

“She’s home?”

“Yeah, she’s back from the office.”

We got into the car and drove towards Independence Layout where my aunt’s family lives

“So, Ik how is school? You should be in your final year now, right?”

“Yeah. I’m preparing for my finals.”

“Oh cool. So, what are you doing home?”

“I came to see the old man o. Cash things now. You know how it is.”

I laughed. “Yeah, I know how it is.”

“What brought you to our neck of the woods?”

“Neck of the woods? Enugu is far from been neck of anything o. The city has really changed. I’m impressed.”

“Yeah, that’s true. You’ve not been here for a while. There have been a lot of changes since the last time you were here.”

“Hmm hmm. It’s really cool.”

By this time we had got to the house and Ik honked the horn to alert the gateman. A few seconds later, the gate was opened and we drove into the compound. I looked around eagerly but found only slight changes. I was happy that at least the house was unchanged. It felt like coming home.

My aunt was waiting for me in the living room when I got in. I eagerly went to her and we hugged.

“Leona darling!” she exclaimed in her British accent. My aunt lived in the UK for a number of years so she sometimes carried on with the affectations of the English when speaking. That was when it suited her though. She could speak Igbo language like the next Igbo woman.

“Nne kedu ka imere?” She reverted to Igbo immediately. She usually liked to test me to be sure I still had a good command of the language.

“Odimma.”

“Kedu ka njem gi siri gaa?”

“Ogara ofuma.”

“Good, good. Welcome my dear. Go and freshen up, then come and we’ll talk.”

I would have preferred we talked directly but I obeyed her. After all, I was here to ask a favor of her. I quickly freshened up, changed my clothes, called Dapo to give him the update and went back downstairs. On getting back to her, she insisted I eat and I wolfed down the food as quickly as I could. I had to say what I had come to say, to find out if she could find a solution to my very big problem.

As soon as I was through eating, I went to look for my aunt. I found her in her bedroom looking through her wardrobe.

“Nne kedu?”

“Fine aunty. What are you doing?”

“Trying to pick a dress for a wedding tomorrow. You’ll come with me?”

“Of course. Aunty, can we talk now?”

“Sure.” She indicated the sofa by the bed and we both sat. “Tell me everything.” she invited.

With that slight encouragement, I told her everything that had been happening leaving nothing out and by the time I was through, she was looking at me intently.

“Your father said all that?” she asked incredulously.

“Yes, he did.”

She sighed and was deep in thought for some moments. “What could..............................

CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-12/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 1:51pm On Feb 01, 2019
EPISODE 13 LOADING
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 7:35pm On Feb 05, 2019
EPISODE 13

All through the following week I was at times anxious, nervous or excited. I was scared and anxious that my aunt wouldn’t be successful in convincing my dad that he should allow the relationship go on, and then I was excited she would eventually make him see the light and he would come to his senses and do the right thing.

Friday came and I was so wound up I couldn’t concentrate at work. It was so bad Dapo had to take me out to lunch instead of eating at the cafeteria just to calm me down and take my mind off things for a while. He reassured me over and over that everything would be alright and things would all work out in the end. His pep talk worked for about five minutes until I was back to obsessing over the matter. It stressed me out completely.

Finally, it was time to close for the day and I quickly tidied up my desk and went in search of Dapo. I got to his office just as Barr Chuks was coming out of it. He stopped when he saw me and smiled. I smiled back reluctantly.

“Good afternoon sir.”

“Hello Leona. How are you today?”

“I’m very well sir, thank you.”

“Good, good. See me in my office on Monday, will you? I have something to discuss with you.”

“Okay sir.” I wondered what it was about.

“Alright, have a lovely weekend.”

“Thank you sir. Have a great weekend too, sir.”

He waved and set off. That was weird. I couldn’t imagine what he wanted to speak to me about. I had been in the firm for almost eleven months now and I had never had a private tete-a-tete with him. Could it be he had heard about me and Dapo? I was sure there was nothing in the company policies that stated that co-workers were not allowed to date. Although the office gossip mill had been buzzing about Dapo and me, I was sure there was no harm being done. I couldn’t’t wait to find out what it was all about but in the meantime, I had a more pressing issue.

I entered Dapo’s office and found him tidying up his desk. He came around and gave me a hug and a peck. “How are you holding up, babe? Hope you’ve calmed down a bit?”

“Who me? I’m one very calm babe. Guess what just happened?”

“What’s that?”

“He asked me to see him in his office on Monday. Do you know what about?”

Dapo smiled and his smile made me suspect him. “What’s funny? Is there something I should know?” I asked suspiciously

“I wouldn’t know cos I don’t know anything.” He smiled again

“Hmm. So why are you smiling?”

“Am I?”

“Yes!”

“I guess I’m just happy to see you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, right. Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah.”

I preceded him out of the office and we both set out for the car park.


We got to my house and Dapo dropped me and drove off. Since the day of that debacle, he had not entered our house. All he had done was drop me off by the gate and leave despite all my pleading asking him to come in. He felt he wouldn’t be welcome and he was not ready for a repeat of what had happened. Sometimes, I felt like I was fighting a losing battle, like this was destined to fail.

I got into the house through the back door and...................

CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-13-love-story/
Re: Love In A Bar 2 ( Love Story) 18+++ by Ugobestikyblog(m): 10:40am On Feb 07, 2019
EPISODE 14 LAST EPISODE

I found my mum in her room reading a paperback novel on her bed. After I knocked and entered, I went straight to where she was reclined and lay beside her. She looked at me in surprise but only smiled and drew me closer to her side as she gave me a hug. I felt safe and loved as I lay there in her arms. With all my bravado, I didn’t want to do anything that would hurt my parents especially my mum. I just prayed we would be able to come to a solution that will favor all.

“I’ve missed you mum.” I snuggled closer to her.

“I missed you too, baby.”

Despite the fact that I am an ‘old woman’ my mum had never stopped calling me ‘baby’, especially during the times she felt emotional, like now.

“I’m sorry I was acting like a spoilt brat.”

She sighed. “It’s okay dear. Believe me, I know what it is to be in love and I saw clearly that day how much you and Dapo love each other.”

I sat up straight, surprised she admitted that. “So, why are you guys insisting I marry an Igbo man?” I asked incredulously.

She sighed again. “You have to know that this has been in our constitution as Igbos for generations now. We’d rather our daughters do not go outside the tribe to choose husbands. I don’t know why but I think it has to do with our pride and independence. We always want to take care of our own. It’s as bad as not even wanting to marry another Igbo that is not from our immediate locality or even our village.

“And no matter how many stories you hear about things like these happening especially in Lagos where our daughters mix with all tribes, you never want to believe it could happen to your own child. You always want to believe that a rich, young, Igbo guy will ride in one day and sweep your daughter off her feet. Some parents even go as far as arranging a marriage for their children with sons or daughters of family friends. That is the norm in the Igbo tribe.

“So, it came as a great shock when you brought your young man and we found out he was Yoruba. Imagine our surprise and indignation. How dare this ‘small boy’ come into our house and have the audacity to ask for our daughter’s hand in marriage. How dare he presume he was good enough for our angel, being a Yoruba guy and all? What audacity!”

She looked at me and smiled as I watched her intently. “We forgot that all men were created by God and we should never presume to choose who we associate with by reason of tribe, nationality, color or propensity. We forgot that we are all human in the same world destined to work and live together.

“And believe me, our eyes didn’t open until we saw how much you suffered. We were still in our cocoon of self-righteousness until we saw our daughter heartbroken. Nothing we said or did had any effect. We made you suffer and we suffered along with you. It was then and only then we realized our foolishness.”

“Really?” I asked, incredulous

“Yes baby. We had to talk some sense into ourselves, your dad and I. We came to realize we shouldn’t set so much stock on tradition, but rather, the love and understanding between a couple. It shouldn’t be about race or tribe but compatibility. If you had come home with an Igbo guy as your man, all well and good; but now that you came with a tribe not Igbo, we should accept him as your choice and not try to influence your decision. All we can do is pray that your relationship will work and you’ll enjoy each other till the end of time.”

You can imagine my surprise after this whole epistle. Yes, I was speechless and stunned. I just kept staring at her.

“I assure you we already made our decision before your aunty came. But I’m glad you were smart enough to inform her. If anyone would have changed your dad’s mind apart from me, it would have been her. But since I was complicit in this foolishness, you sought her counsel. Even if your dad is still wavering now, she would set him straight I’m sure. You did well child.”

“Thank you mum.”

“You are welcome.”

“So, if I heard you right, you are saying you will allow me marry Dapo?”

“I just told you we had a change of heart about tribalism. If anyone is going to make that decision, it’s going to be your dad.”

Hmm, my mum the diplomat. In other words, ‘you didn’t hear it from me but yes.’ I decided to humor her and let her off the hook. I could wait for my dad now that I knew everything would be okay. I could barely contain myself as my heart leapt for joy.

A short while later my mum and I were summoned to my dad’s private sitting room where Elena had earlier said he was having a meeting with my aunt.

On getting there, I went straight to my aunt and gave her a big hug. I was glad to see her and happy that she loved me enough to make the journey to see my dad. “Thank you for coming, aunty.” I whispered in her ear.

“You’re welcome darling.” She whispered back and winked at me; with that wink, I knew everything was settled.

My mum greeted her too and while they exchanged pleasantries, I looked to my dad and saw his eyes on me. He smiled and gestured I come sit beside him on the sofa. I went ahead.

“How are you?” he asked, looking at me intently.

“I’m fine sir. I’m sorry I was such a brat.”

“Never mind. But don’t ever act that way again. I’d rather you told me your grievances than locked your door for days.” He admonished. “Anyway, that’s about to become a moot point.” He said under his breath.

My mum approached us and sat on the other side of my dad. They always liked to sit together in family meetings like this to show they were a united front.

My aunt Chioma took the floor. “Leona, my dear I have talked some sense into your father.” My dad smiled ruefully at that. “I believe he has seen the errors of his ways and he’s ready to change. With all his enlightenment, I can’t believe he’s still living in the 18th century. You’ll forgive him for being a bull-headed father, won’t you?” she raised her brows.

I looked at my dad and found him smiling. He shrugged. “Of course ma.” I answered

“Good, good. Now, this young man of yours, he’s a good man, kwa?”

“Yes, he is.”

“Of course, you’ll say that; you are filled to the brim with love.” my mum laughed. “We remember how it was in our days, ehn, Ijeoma?”

“Yes sister, we do.” Mum replied

“So, it is settled nne.” She turned back to me.

“Okay ma.” I smiled.

“Invite your young man to dinner tonight. I want to....................
CONTINUE READING: https://ugobestiky.com/2019/01/22/love-in-a-bar-14-last-episode/

(1) (Reply)

How Sokoloan Made Me Rich / A Lady With Breast Deficiency Is In Love With Me And Am Worried (18+ Picture) / My Sister-in-law Is Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.