Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. (1573 Views)

For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? / Hello World, I Am Working On A Simple Android Application (open Source)... / See Money Making Programmers In Nairalans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Topsonluv(m): 7:16am On Jan 20, 2019
I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife.

I need your advice on my career path. I graduated with a first class, Bsc Accounting. I finished my NYSC in April 2018. I have two papers left to be qualified as Associate Chartered Accountant. I really have passion for programming. I wish to be one of the world best programmer. I'm always happy anytime i'm writing codes.

But my family want me to pursue a career in Accounting in order not to waste my First Class. They want me to work in one of the big 4 accounting firm where I served in one of them. They hate programming with passion.

After my NYSC I had to shift away from accounting though I've been learning basics of Java since my undergraduate days. I learnt Java for some time(using programming methodology course by Stanford University) and later move to VB.Net (I learnt that with downloaded materials) which I'm using to develop mini accounting package.

I just started to apply for accounting job last year December. My uncles were concerned why I'm so adamant with programming and they have been angry with me and with my late application for accounting jobs.

I could not get Programming job because most companies stipulate that applicants be computer science graduate.

A friend of mine who is conversant with Nairaland told me to come here in order to get the required help and advice.

I'm done with my NYSC and I'm currently not working. I'm thinking of leaving my family to go elsewhere to pursue my programming career. I want to do anything possible to achieve my programming career.

Please, I really need your advice as I am stuck right now.
I know how tough it will be and the challenges to overcome, it's just a matter of time.

Thanks, I am looking forward to your kind and sincere response.

I have my OAU and NYSC certificate with me to confirm the sincerity of what am saying.

Thanks in advance

Whatsapp No: 08137377092
Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Topsonluv(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2019
I will really appreciate it if this topic is taken to the front page to increase the chance of getting a advice. Thanks
Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by RSVP: 7:38am On Jan 20, 2019
Guy, we into same shit...

I study accounting when I was in school and I knew deep down the course wasn't meant for me. I don't even attend classes! the shît dey scare me pretty much ....
. I just love programming. I want to sit down infront of my system and write codes 24/7..but the problem is I don't know what to do to achieve this!.

I wish I could go somewhere and learn programming for 2 years without seeing anyone but some factor are making it damn impossible.. We are both stuck bro.
Something I don't know is killing my dreams. sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Oshin56(m): 8:26am On Jan 20, 2019
You have served your papa land finished which means you must be 18+ that's you don't need anybody to decide for you in some aspects Do what you have passion for which is programming

1 Like

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by asalimpo(m): 10:17am On Jan 20, 2019
Like d other poster said- dont let your parents decide for you. Also dont blame any1 if things dont work out right.
You could continue with accounting while honing your skills in programming. Then you could offer tech n business related services. You'd b unique if you can speak d language of business and see d big picture and also speak d language of machines. So,if you want advice,i'd say - get accounting certs. Get chartered. Get very good in programming. So good,you cant b considered an amateur- then use ur unique skillset to pay ur way

2 Likes

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Ayemileto(m): 12:15pm On Jan 20, 2019
Well if you ask me, I will suggest you get an accounting job, you might end up realizing some things that are manually done presently that can be automated.

With that, you can start your software company by providing software solutions to those things that are presently done manually.

You can achieve your programming dream through Accounting.

2 Likes

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by airsaylongcon: 1:04am On Jan 21, 2019
Lemme expand in what the poster above has advised.

My advise to you is why not get the best of both worlds? There is a "genre" of Software called ERP which are notoriously difficult to set up particularly the financial modules. You can pldecide to become a consultant in deployment of one ERP and also learn how to design and code plugins or customisations that add more functionality to these software than what comes out-of-the-box. Your knowledge in accounting is highly sought after by ERP consulting organisations. If u now add technical competence in programming you are in big bucks. Competent SAP (the biggest ERP worldwide) consultants command $1000/day when deploying for clients (but you have to work hard before you can start commanding this type of figure)

2 Likes

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by asalimpo(m): 4:09pm On Jan 21, 2019
A degree in accounting+a degree in computer science+a degree in law+ an mba+certs(acca,cpa,cfa,cima,cfEng etc).
Well,it should make you have ur picture in every dollar bill (usd).
But getting this education will take time though. Personally,i think it's kinda limiting having just 1 degree but time is scarce. No1 wants to stay in school forever.
However,ur perspective would be broader than ur peers.
There is this author who wrote a tech book,(wrox publishers). She had a degree in law nd computer science and it made her so valuable to companies.

1 Like

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by asalimpo(m): 4:30pm On Jan 21, 2019
airsaylongcon:
Lemme expand in what the poster above has advised.

My advise to you is why not get the best of both worlds? There is a "genre" of Software called ERP which are notoriously difficult to set up particularly the financial modules. You can pldecide to become a consultant in deployment of one ERP and also learn how to design and code plugins or customisations that add more functionality to these software than what comes out-of-the-box. Your knowledge in accounting is highly sought after by ERP consulting organisations. If u now add technical competence in programming you are in big bucks. Competent SAP (the biggest ERP worldwide) consultants command $1000/day when deploying for clients (but you have to work hard before you can start commanding this type of figure)
omo! Shee money. I'm flabbergasted. So ... Y hasnt there been a flood of entrants into that mkt? People are outbidding each other for $5 dollars on fiver nd lesser on other freelance sites when there's more elsewhere.
Why arent there i.t schools teaching erp. Or is there more to it?

Thought these erp thingis were dying out anyway.

1 Like

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by airsaylongcon: 8:37pm On Jan 21, 2019
asalimpo:

omo! Shee money. I'm flabbergasted. So ... Y hasnt there been a flood of entrants into that mkt? People are outbidding each other for $5 dollars on fiver nd lesser on other freelance sites when there's more elsewhere.
Why arent there i.t schools teaching erp. Or is there more to it?

Thought these erp thingis were dying out anyway.

U know the blood and sweat to learn am? The learning curve dey put crowd off. Plus it requires a very high level of discipline.

Learning ERPs is not just going to school to learn say Corel draw or Matlab. And yes there are training institutions where u learn how to configure and deploy ERPs. The fees sha dey heal short sightedness! And ERPs dying out? Naaaaaaaaaaaah. Its what drives many businesses in the world today. From Manufacturing to even Facebook and the IT giants

1 Like

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by trytillmake(m): 9:11am On Jan 22, 2019
Ayemileto:
Well if you ask me, I will suggest you get an accounting job, you might end up realizing some things that are manually done presently that can be automated.

With that, you can start your software company by providing software solutions to those things that are presently done manually.

You can achieve your programming dream through Accounting.

Good advice here ill suggest u go for C# MVC programming most financial institutions use that today and getting a job will be easier through that route, leave yr parents alone they are only just concerned they wanna see u progress and be a high flyer na u go prove to dem u know wat u doing.
If u need more, comment below.

2 Likes

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 23, 2019
My advice for you will be to get an accountancy job and apply to become an ICAN member after 36 months of gaining accountancy experience, at the same time start learning programming at your spare time covering HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, C# ASP.Net MVC, ASP.NET WebAPI, and SQL Server on https://www.w3schools.com and on youtude to have some knowledge of programming. After becoming a member of ICAN then you can start a degree in computer science or software engineering and you can be doing consultancy work in accountancy while at uni. With ICAN membership you can also apply to become a member of ICAEW in the UK, ICAEW is the must respected Chartered Accountancy body in the UK and they are recognised all over the world. I studied accountancy too before going back to study programming at uni.

By following my advice above you'll be able to apply your skills in programming to create very useful accounting applications for the accountancy sector which are lacking at present and you'll have a very distinct advantage over those who only have one degree in computer science and will be waiting for others to give them their ideas to develop for them while the owner of that idea becomes a billionaire and the programmer only gets a salary from them.

Also it will be easy for you to market your accounting applications to your accountancy clients as well as other accountants and your client's will respect you as they know you are a chartered accountant already. Also you'll be able to work as a software consultant for big financial institutions as you are a chartered accountant and a computer scientist or software engineer which they will all respect.

2 Likes

Re: To programmers in Nigeria and in the world, I sincerely need your help. by Topsonluv(m): 6:46pm On Jan 28, 2019
I really appreciate all your contributions towards ensuring a better career for me. Thanks so much

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed To Convert Mql4 To Mql5 / Need To Know How To Read And Write Using Omnikey Card Reader. / Payroll Software For Small, Medium And Large Businesses In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.