Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? (41834 Views)

CBN Offical Tells Nigerians To Deposit Old Notes In Their Banks (Video) / How To Deposit Old ₦‎1000, ₦‎500 And ₦‎200 Notes At The CBN / Nigerian Man Takes $500,000 Cash To Deposit In A Bank, Causes Stirs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2019
You are covered if the money has been registered on the system, but if not registered before the attack, you are on your own.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by halhassan1(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2019
iCauseTrouble:

Provided its not yet registered in the computer, you're safe. If not, its your life or your money. you have to choose one without phoning a friend
U have scattered by brain with confusion

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Badonasty(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2019
ChelseaDotCom:
Hello guys, just thinking while I was in a bank standing on the queue to deposit; assuming I'm about to hand the money over to the cashier or cashier has collected the money but yet to register it on the computer...and a group of robbers just come in, shoot sporadically and rob people of their monies. Am I going to be paid back or am I part covered by the insurance?
Bankers and Lawyers in the house, I need you here.

na OYO be that
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Alvin007: 6:59pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:
Once you are in the premises of the bank and a robbery occur. Dem take your cash. Dem no born the bank well if dem no give you your cash whether deposite or not.

It is the duty of the bank to protect their facility from attack.

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by siroms: 6:59pm On Jan 20, 2019
its the CCTV camera that will tell if u were robbed or not....b4 compensation can be determined.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Oblongata: 7:00pm On Jan 20, 2019
I am saddened by the replies thus far...

Law relating to banking (fin 410)

All banks have cameras at the teller points for reasons such as this; they will be able to conclude if indeed you were with depositing cash or not and ascertain close to a conclusive terrain ; with the use of camera, the amount which the customer has claimed

They will do necessary investigation on your depositing nature e.g if the trend of your previous deposit is similar to the one you claim...

They will also investigate your transaction history or account book of your business to ascertain the truth.

Whether your cash is registered or not, you can be indemnified

Banks always uphold it's brand image especially in a case gone public hence, compensation is usually the first and viable option.

Banks can also use these videos evidenceso for their insurance companies and they can be indemnified. ..

If the cash were to be in your pocket or bag however Without you being at the teller or showing convincing signs that you intend to deposit , you might not be indemnified.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by EmekaBlue(m): 7:00pm On Jan 20, 2019
YOUNGEBEN91:
My own question is if your bank branch where you opened your account got robbed or closes down due to some circumstances, can you still withdraw your money from another bank branch?
r u serious with this question? lol

if yes...Ofcourse u can withdraw.. u could even use any atm from any other branch, other banks or even transfer. We in 21st century bro
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Abeyjide: 7:01pm On Jan 20, 2019
oyo
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Dollabiz: 7:02pm On Jan 20, 2019
bank takes responsibilityy
...dont.be fooled its gone.without a trace.lol
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Vatod(m): 7:03pm On Jan 20, 2019
ChelseaDotCom:
Hello guys, just thinking while I was in a bank standing on the queue to deposit; assuming I'm about to hand the money over to the cashier or cashier has collected the money but yet to register it on the computer...and a group of robbers just come in, shoot sporadically and rob people of their monies. Am I going to be paid back or am I part covered by the insurance?
OYO
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by tunary(m): 7:04pm On Jan 20, 2019
OYO
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by kajsa08: 7:07pm On Jan 20, 2019
soberdrunk:
The question should be what if I came to cash a cheque of 2million and as I collect my money I hear "Everybody lie down"!!!" and I get robbed in the bank premises, is the bank liable?

O.Y.O grin
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by KukkitAvenue(m): 7:07pm On Jan 20, 2019
A business is about to be transacted when the men of the underworld announce their presence invariably your money goes to no issues. The law calls this frustrated contract.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by oluwaahmed: 7:10pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:
Once you are in the premises of the bank and a robbery occur. Dem take your cash. Dem no born the bank well if dem no give you your cash whether deposite or not.

So how the bank go take know how much u carry come
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Ubdavis(m): 7:16pm On Jan 20, 2019
Ur small brain should have known the answer to this na. It a no- brainer
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by maisauki: 7:17pm On Jan 20, 2019
SIMPLE! Once its nt registad in dia system, u r a goner
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2019
oluwaahmed:

So how the bank go take know how much u carry come

dat is why you have to sue. You tender evidence and police report.if you win the court knows what to award you.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by 3kay945(m): 7:26pm On Jan 20, 2019
Oblongata:
I am saddened by the replies thus far...

Law relating to banking (fin 410)

All banks have cameras at the teller points for reasons such as this; they will be able to conclude if indeed you were with depositing cash or not and ascertain close to a conclusive terrain ; with the use of camera, the amount which the customer has claimed

They will do necessary investigation on your depositing nature e.g if the trend of your previous deposit is similar to the one you claim...

They will also investigate your transaction history or account book of your business to ascertain the truth.

Whether your cash is registered or not, you can be indemnified

Banks always uphold it's brand image especially in a case gone public hence, compensation is usually the first and viable option.

Banks can also use these videos evidenceso for their insurance companies and they can be indemnified. ..

If the cash were to be in your pocket or bag however Without you being at the teller or showing convincing signs that you intend to deposit , you might not be indemnified.

Shalom

This makes lot of sense.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by jaxxy(m): 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2019
ChelseaDotCom:

The bank only insures cash in their system or custody. It’s must have been counted and registered by a teller atleast. Anything else is sorry.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by terzurum(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2019
No need to read, You are the Robber. See your flat head like Igbo man. You know give me money you come make I assume say you give me. You de crazy? Na question oh!
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Meritocracy: 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2019
If your deposit slip has been stamped and you have a copy with you. The bank will definitely credit your account, if not you will carry your cross. There's no way bank will know your mission whether you're withdrawing or deposit. Anything in bank from park is at your own risk, car park at your own risk, life lost during robbery is at your own risk let alone money not yet deposited.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by uchennamani(m): 7:35pm On Jan 20, 2019
The practice in the Nigerian bank halls is to hand over money to the cashiers. I havent seen where deposits are accepted other than through the cashiers. Any person that gave money to people not authorized by the bank does at his/her risk.

The above not withstanding, the bank has a duty to make sure that their halls are not used for criminal activities, and would be liable if the customer could prove that they knew of the criminal activities and did nothing to stop it.
ChelseaDotCom:

Thanks for your insight @ uchennamani, I want to believe that banks owe their customers a duty of care...if I wasn't in the bank, my money wouldn't have been stolen at that point. More so, what's the fate of those women who were tricked and robbed in the banking hall by some hoodlums who hang around the banking hall...there has been many cases like that, do you think they could have sued the banks for not protecting them enough? What say you @uchennamani?
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by terzurum(m): 7:36pm On Jan 20, 2019
halhassan1:

U have scattered by brain with confusion
No mind am see him flat head like Igbo man. Provided it is registered in the computer you are safe

1 Like

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Evince(m): 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2019
What happen to u if u are killed during the robbery ? grin
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by terzurum(m): 7:42pm On Jan 20, 2019
wetdick:

Talk make I hear. See your flat head like Igbo man Hahahahaha
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Gudwork(m): 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2019
We are talking about politics.. u r talking money.. everything na money? Oya han le le.. my people make una vote right abeg.. na next month oo
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by elyunus20(m): 7:50pm On Jan 20, 2019
That robbery is at owner's risk my friend

Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Hotguy27: 7:51pm On Jan 20, 2019
If there is no evidence in terms of stamping of your duplicate copy of deposit teller or any other form of acknowledgment of your deposit and it has not been posted to your account, you have lost your money.
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Nokio1: 7:53pm On Jan 20, 2019
Google saraki boys offa ...they will amsa u
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by ZiggyMr(m): 7:53pm On Jan 20, 2019
[quote author=wetdick post=74946319]Once you are in the premises of the bank and a robbery occur. Dem take your cash. Dem no born the bank well if dem no give you your cash whether deposite or not.

It is the duty of the bank to protect their facility from attack. [/quot
On ur own
Re: What Happens To My Money If I'm Robbed In A Bank While Waiting To Deposit? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2019
If I Were You I Will Worry About My Life Not Money!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Gets Sleepless Nights From Unemployment In Nigeria / Which Bank ATM Works For International Transaction / The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.