Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland (15266 Views)

Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2010
Kola nut tree is singularly a wonderful made tree by God. Subsequently, the ancient men in Igboland discovered the God's symbol in this nut, which brought about ritual activities. These primeval men searched and saw that there was no other tree or nut in comparism to kola nut and its tree.
Kola nut rituals varies from one town to another in Igboland, so let's share your knowledge of kola nut in your community or in Igboland at large.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 2:19pm On Aug 15, 2010
In Okigwe South constituency i.e Obowu, Isinweke, Nsu, and Ehime Mbano areas, the elder prays over the nut and hands over to the junior who breaks and serves the eldest first befoe others.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 2:28pm On Aug 15, 2010
Igbo kola nut (oji Igbo) and gworo (oji awusa) are both used in Igboland. Oji awusa is always two pieces in one. In this case, it is usually cut vertically. After being vertically cut, you can also cut edge way to reach other members. Oji Igbo is always naturally vertical itself. It can be cut edge way also in other to reach many people.
If you are not offered kola nut in Okigwe south areas and in Igboland, you are not welcomed. Greatest ceremonies performed by Igbo man any where in the world must first begin with kola nut breaking.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 2:37pm On Aug 15, 2010
This great nut is fairly grown in Igboland but, abundantly in Yorubaland. Extract from the kola nut can also be used for dying clothes and production of alcohol. In Nigeria however, the Igboman's creator showed him that without this nut, all their ceremonial activities would be fake. For this reason, the Hausas chew the kola nut ordinarily, grown by the Yorubas, while Ndigbo celebrates with the nut.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2010
Gworo Oji awusa like you call it is frowned upon in my dad's village and surrounding villages/communities.
Not sure of the reason though.

I also understand that if you fail to offer kolanut to your visitor he is well within his rights to complain that you failed to welcome him to your home.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 7:26pm On Aug 16, 2010
OMO IBO:

Gworo Oji awusa like you call it is frowned upon in my dad's village and surrounding villages/communities.
Not sure of the reason though.

I also understand that if you fail to offer kolanut to your visitor he is well within his rights to complain that you failed to welcome him to your home.

@omo Igbo: Is your dad's village different from your own village?. Educate me.

1 Like

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
In Igbo traditional rituals and ceremonies, the gworo is not a valid matter. Only the Igbo kola nut is acceptable.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by chyz(m): 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
Breaking the kola:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Sy2WhVzJQ&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 17, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@omo Igbo: Is your dad's village different from your own village?. Educate me.
LOL
Dede Uweh, my dad and myself are from the same place.

my bad.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 10:47am On Aug 17, 2010
OMO IBO:

LOL
Dede Uweh, my dad and myself are from the same place.

my bad.

It shall be well with you.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 10:58am On Aug 17, 2010
chyz:

Breaking the kola:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Sy2WhVzJQ&feature=related[/flash]
@Chyz: thanks for posting that video. One remarkable feature of this video is the role of woman/women in kolanut and Igbo culture. In Igbo culture, women are forbidden from either planting, climbing, plucking or breaking the kola nut. It is just a question of mentality similar to the biblical regard for women.
Women do break the Igbo kola when they gather in their usual cultural groupings of Umuada or in the council of women.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 17, 2010
If i am also correct, it is forbidden for women to directly serve kolanut.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2010
OMO IBO:

If i am also correct, it is forbidden for women to directly serve kolanut.

You are right.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by abadaba(m): 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2010
In some parts of Delta Igbo, e.g Isselu Ukwu and Ubulu Ukwu, women with the traditional title of OMU can participate in breaking of kola nut. But if there is a man with a title in the midst, it is the man who does the kola nut ritual.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Adim2010: 1:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
In Isheagu, a Town in Aniocha South LGA of Delta State. The elders pray with Kola Nut & pass to the Junior to break & serve. In the process of praying they will say that "He who brought kola brings life". So in a nut shell, kola nut is highly respected in that land.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 5:36pm On Aug 19, 2010
Igbo people usually break kola nut with a knife due to some reasons.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 10:25pm On Aug 20, 2010
Though the centralised name for Kola nut in Igboland is Oji, some Igbo communities around Port Harcourt calls it Aji while some say Oji. Also Igbo communities around Agbo call it Ogi.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 12:13am On Sep 12, 2010
In Igboland, Kola nut is often served with Garden egg. In some instances and in the absence of kolanut, garden egg is served. Though kola nut is the choicest.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 12:40am On Sep 12, 2010
Has anyone actually witnessed a full celebration when oji breaks into three?
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 1:30am On Sep 12, 2010
ezeagu:

Has anyone actually witnessed a full celebration when oji breaks into three?
Not seen one yet. The most celebrated is the ones that has four lobes. It is seen as Eke, Orie, Afo and Nkwo.
But kolanut broken into seven lobes calls for a special feast.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 12, 2010
I studied kolanut ritual of yorubaland from in uni for a few days jare, but am still yet to understand the whole thing.
In Yorubaland, kolanut is used from the onset [naming ceremony] of a child.  They say something like "Obi niyi, waa gbo koko"  any yoruba person wanna help me out here?
I think Kolanut is symbolizes strength to live till old age.

And kolanuts are often used in rituals. . . .weddings. . . .greeting visitors etc.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Nobody: 1:50am On Sep 12, 2010
I found this online while looking for Yorubaland and Kolanut.

Kola Nut & its Uses among the Igbos

Kola nut is a revered fruit among the Igbos. Unlike the Yorubas that plant it and the Hausas that eat it, the Igbos pray with it and traditionally eat it. In Igbo culture, it is a very vital part of every ceremony. During traditional marriages for instance, breaking and praying over kola nuts is an important aspect of the ceremony. The family of the bride of presents the kola to the visiting family of the groom, and once presented prayer is said often by the eldest male member of the family present at the marriage ceremony.

Even when a man receives a private guest in his home, the first thing to offer is the kola nut; this signifies that the guest is well received. The kola nut is prayed over and the broken up and eaten. It could be eaten on its own or with groundnut paste or alligator pepper. This could be followed by drinking of palm wine, brandy, whisky or schnapps. In modern homes beer or other alcoholic drinks could be presented.

Among the Igbos, it is an abomination for a woman or girl to break the kola nut. In an all female gathering, no female would be allowed to pray over or break a kola nut; rather a young boy could be called in to perform this act despite his age.

The Igbos believes that the kola nut does not understand the foreign language; rather it understands only the Igbo language. Therefore one cannot pray with the kola nut speaking any language other than Igbo.

During such prayers with the kola nut, the health of the people is prayed for; prosperity is prayed for, and also for the future of every person in and outside of the family. The Igbos believes that when one eats over a kola nut prayed over, the person is positively affected and his or her future secured.

Traditionalists while saying their prayers pray to their gods, and the ancestors and forefathers, but with the coming with Christianity the prayers are prayed to God almighty by Christians and they end such prayers calling on the revered name of Jesus Christ.

In some communities, the eldest family members
says the prayers, while in some it is only traditional title holders that are eligible to say the prayers. In some communities it is the youngest family member that prays over the kola nut.

Igbo Beliefs among the Igbos

The Igbos believes that when a kola nut has only one or two lobes, it is abomination and such kola could only be eaten by a native doctor. Apart from one or two lobes, others could be eaten and they each mean different things.

When a kola presents three lobes it represents the three cooking stands of the traditional Igbo kitchen; it presents four lobes, it means the traditional Igbo market days of Eke, Oye, Afor, Nkwo. When it presents seven lobes it is celebrated and people entertained. When the lobes are five in number it represents fruitfulness and goodness.

Below is a sample of a traditional prayer said over kola nuts by the Igbos:

“He who brings kola brings, brings life,

Response: Iseeeee

Let our fore fathers and ancestors join us in eating this kola

Response: Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Let there be peace in our families

Response: Iseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Let the ancestors visit our land and bless us and enrich us

Response: Iseeeeeeeeeeeeee

Let there be peace in our homes and let our guests and us enjoy peace

Let whoever eats part of this kola enjoy good health and long life and prosperity

Response: Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Let us all not witness evil, let evil doers be far from our homes and may we witness goodness

Our fathers come and join and eat kola, speak for us in the land of the spirits

Response: Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

The prayers are basically same for Christians except that the response is normally Amen!!!, while they invite and pray to God Almighty rather than Ancestors and forefathers, and they pray in the name of Jesus Christ, and close by all chorusing Amen.

At the close of prayers, the kola nut is broken and passed round the people. Comments are passed on number of lobes while people eat and share drinks.

This tradition of kola nut breaking has been passed down from one generation to another among the Igbos and it is a tradition that has come to stay.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/society/cultures-customs/articles/73416.aspx#ixzz0zHdqizzD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Hotstepper(f): 4:42am On Sep 12, 2010
We have a kola nut tree in my compound in the villa that produces a lot of kola and big ones for that matter. In most cases, we allow it to fall b4 it will be picked and I have picked it on several occasions.
I love garden egg nd ose oji
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 9:25pm On Oct 04, 2010
Oji (kola nut) a unique aspect of Igbo culture.

Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 10:38am On Oct 05, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Chyz: thanks for posting that video. One remarkable feature of this video is the role of woman/women in kolanut and Igbo culture. In Igbo culture, women are forbidden from either planting, climbing, plucking or breaking the kola nut. It is just a question of mentality similar to the biblical regard for women.
Women do break the Igbo kola when they gather in their usual cultural groupings of Umuada or in the council of women.
The whole Igbo land or some parts
I know for sure that women with Odu title in Onitsha Break kolanut.
abadaba:

In some parts of Delta Igbo, e.g Isselu Ukwu and Ubulu Ukwu, women with the traditional title of OMU can participate in breaking of kola nut. But if there is a man with a title in the midst, it is the man who does the kola nut ritual.
Andre Uweh:

Igbo people usually break kola nut with a knife due to some reasons.
Please can u tell us some of the reasons.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2010
ifyalways:

The whole Igbo land or some parts
I know for sure that women with Odu title in Onitsha Break kolanut.Please can u tell us some of the reasons.
I earlier wrote that women with titles break kola nuts in some parts of Delta Igbo region. Reread my post. Thanks for your info on Onitsha.
Ndigbo feel it is more hygienic to break kola nuts with knife. Secondly, some peoples hands are soiled with blood and Ndigbo do not want that. There are more reasons which I may not list here.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I earlier wrote that women with titles break kola nuts in some parts of Delta Igbo region. Reread my post. Thanks for your info on Onitsha.
Ndigbo feel it is more hygienic to break kola nuts with knife. Secondly, some peoples hands are soiled with blood and Ndigbo do not want that. There are more reasons which I may not list here.

I thought it was custom to break by hand?
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2010
ezeagu:

Infection and other risk factors are considered by Ndigbo.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 9:45am On Oct 06, 2010
ezeagu:

Me too,especially with the aged and titled men.
Andre Uweh:

Thanks.I guess most of us have been overlooking the hygiene aspect.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Hauwa1: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2010
i like it so much especially when i eat it with alligator pepper. i usually wack the ones my mom brought from meetings. white ones taste good cheesy
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by AndreUweh(m): 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2010
*Hauwa*:

i like it so much especially when i eat it with alligator pepper. i usually wack the ones my mom brought from meetings. white ones taste good cheesy

Why are you not a proud Nwada Igbo?.
Re: Kola Nut Ritual In Igboland by Hauwa1: 5:38pm On Oct 06, 2010
cuz, i'm a liberated soul
grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hausa-fulani Tirbal Marks / How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.