Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' (16585 Views)

One Year And More After NYSC - How Is It Going? / I Don't Want To Serve NYSC, How Do I Exempt Myself? / NYSC: How My Baby And I Passed Out In Style (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by titiloyeblog: 8:21am On Jan 22, 2019
NYSC – The one-year mandatory national service imposed on young graduates below the age of 30, if you haven’t already gone through it you probably will soon. In the past, it was a period graduates looked forward to with high hopes of a better future, the same cannot be said today, many young people are inducted to and released from the scheme every year, a whole year, during which you are paid a token of 19800 every month before being released into a world filled with millions of unemployed graduates.

Many Corps members start to worry months before passing out because of the state of the country and fear that they are diving into the pool of unemployment like other graduates. Do you share that concern? Not to worry, keep reading, I’m confident the answers you seek lie in my next few paragraphs.

This secret has a lot to do with setting goals, want to know a few things about goals?

I’d like you to know that the ability to set goals as a young person is a superpower, and the bridge between goals and achievements is determination and discipline. It is easy to go through my next paragraphs and forget about them the moment you hit the last period. So before we proceed I want you to quietly mutter these words: “I am a thinker, a doer, an achiever, an excellent student of life and a valuable citizen of this country, I will make my youth service year a memorable one”. Having said those words, I have no doubt that you’re ready for the ride, come with me…

How then do you go about making your service year fruitful?

1. DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITIES IN YOUR ENVIRONMENT (THERE’S ALWAYS SOMETHING)

Now, this is often the hardest part, it usually hidden, a Corps member who served in Kaduna upon passing out said “What do you expect when corps members who are sent to communities where there is no life for a whole year and yet when they are through there is no employment, the whole thing is a waste of time.”

This is what most people say, but is it true? The answer is NO, the fact that you are made to serve in a place where nothing appears to be happening doesn’t mean that your whole year has to be a waste, look inwards, there is a skill to learn, a trade to engage in, books to read, preparations to make and relationships to build. I will treat these points one after the other for the sake of clarity.

2. LEARN A SKILL

You’re probably thinking “If I had a kobo for every time I have heard this…” But I tell you something, we learn every time whether we want to or not, no knowledge is useless, you are a young, educated and resilient Nigerian and you can learn anything, I repeat, anything within the space of a year, as long as you put your mind to it. Be it Fashion design, hair styling, cosmetology, food production or agriculture. You can take online professional courses such as customer relationship and entrepreneurial development courses to help facilitate the starting and running of your business after NYSC, and don’t forget to save a few bucks off your allawee for this purpose.

3. PICK UP A TRADE

Products, especially farm produce vary in prices according to geographical locations, for example, Onions in the Northeast, Tubers in the Southwest, Tomatoes in the North West and some parts of the South-south, vegetables, and fruits in the Southeast and so on. Do you have a commodity that is slightly more expensive where you come from? Buy them from your state of deployment and these things can be transported to areas where they are not so cheap and sold for higher prices than they were purchased, this has made bucks for a number of youth corps members according to testimonies.

4. MAKE CERTAIN PREPARATIONS

Over 50% of corps members do not intend to stop at B.Sc or HND as the case may be, are you one of such people? This is a good time to prepare your mind and heart for the postgraduate course of your choice, learn about it, pick an institution, talk to experienced adults, send in applications, acquire funding, you will find that this is enough to make you feel fulfilled at the end of your service year if done properly.

5. READ BOOKS

Did you know that how much you know is a reflection of how much you read? this could be your one year of knowledge acquisition, visit a library if you have access to one, and if you don’t, do not worry, most of those books are online anyway, see how the minds of these authors work, read about career, marriage, cultures and understand more about the world we live in, this will make you a more productive person at the end of your service year.

https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/01/nysc-how-to-maximize-your-one-year-as.html

6 Likes

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by SirLakes: 11:13am On Jan 22, 2019
grin

The guy below didnt make FTC

Sorry grin

This land is for sale (shikini money)
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by trendingideas: 11:13am On Jan 22, 2019
During and after NYSC, be innovative to ensure you secure a job
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Themaths(m): 11:13am On Jan 22, 2019
angry
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Babastag(m): 11:13am On Jan 22, 2019
Make them just Maxi the salary
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Phoenixpolo: 11:13am On Jan 22, 2019
Nysc na still scam

7 Likes

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by jericco1(m): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2019
scrap it jor

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Waakanda: 11:16am On Jan 22, 2019
Informative
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by freemanbubble: 11:16am On Jan 22, 2019
Isokay
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by mayskit4luv(m): 11:19am On Jan 22, 2019
NYSC
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by chimogi: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2019
suffer head country

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by SonofHim: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2019
NYSC without Rural rugged...is that one NYSC?

Long live NCCF!!!

Do you love this family?

4 Likes

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Affhodables: 11:22am On Jan 22, 2019
Kool
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by queenfav(f): 11:23am On Jan 22, 2019
Its advisable to start a business while serving.
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by hezsquirt(m): 11:26am On Jan 22, 2019
S4DG.... Rubbish scheme..... Scam

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Starboytwo(m): 11:35am On Jan 22, 2019
G
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by slayprint: 11:35am On Jan 22, 2019
Nice write-up.

I make customized 3D phone cases,please check my profile.Thanks.
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by iamharkinwaley: 12:35pm On Jan 22, 2019
He no ho better for NYSC undecided
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by omotoyossi(m): 12:53pm On Jan 22, 2019
QUICK QUESTION..WHEN IS THE FIRST NYSC BATCH IN aN ELECTION YEAR..I HEARD NO MARCH BATCH,TILL AFTER THE ELECTION..HOW TRUE IS IT?
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by showghan(m): 12:56pm On Jan 22, 2019
Learn Yahoo

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by larryking540: 12:58pm On Jan 22, 2019
Phoenixpolo:
Nysc na still scam
Depending on how u see it
They can't scrap it,,then make something out of it
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by larryking540: 1:01pm On Jan 22, 2019
Babastag:
Make them just Maxi the salary
even if the alawee is increased, people go still complain, ,so deal with d little u have and make something out of it

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 22, 2019
If you plan your B.Sc days very well, you should be balling during NYSC.
Re: NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' by Naanlong01: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2019
I love this family of God

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Batch C14 Nassarawa / Abdulwahab Charges Corps Members To Be Good Ambassadors As 2373 Disengage From S / Bayelsa Corper Shot Dead, His Phone And Wallet Stolen (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.