Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic (1452 Views)

How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary / Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary / What Is Assumption Of Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2010
I was in Church today smiley and I do not normally sit through a sermon but it was raining outside so i had no choice. This was at Our Lady of Lourdes Aguda - Coker. (2nd Mass)
The Priest explained at length that while the evidence of the Assumption of the Blessed Mary (Body and Spirit) into heaven is not in the Bible, It is Biblically Scriptural Fact that she is in Heaven (Body, Soul and Spirit) having not tasted Death of her mortal body due to the immaculate, incorruptible and sinless live she lived while on earth. shocked You must pardon my surprise as i almost raised my hand to ask a question while my wife quickly snatched it down.

I have been afflicted with rare spiritual disease called questioning-spirit. I cannot accept a statement that cannot be satisfactorily explained; It does not have to be reasonable or logical. It just has to make sense in its own context. shikena!. I found the priest's explanation a bit dis-jointed IMHO and rather guided for the purpose of establishing his submission as Biblical Fact without actually providing clear basis, point-point analysis of his hypothesis before concluding that Mary of blessed memory is actually amongst few who never tasted death and was Assumed into Heaven in the league of Enoch and Elijah, and of course Elvis.

At the end of the Sermon, he called to devotees to always carry their problems to Mother Mary whose strong maternal character will find swift solution to her childrens problems in Jesus name - to which we all chorused AMEN!.

I would have closure to this prickling question here on Nairaland as I could not wait till the end of 3rd Mass to visit the priest and ask him my questions pointedly. Please Catholics in the House, can you explain the Assumption of Mary into Heaven in a sense I can understand. i.e

1: Was it pre-destined that Mary will be the Mother of Jesus
2: Was she truly without sin that of all women she was considered blessed and holy to bear the begotten Son of God
3: What is the Biblical or Scriptural or Theological doctrine that forms the basis for the Assumption of Mary into Heaven.

If it is a Divine Mystery then my question is answered but from what i gather, it is not a Divine Mystery but a historical fact.

over to you.
Re: The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:18pm On Aug 16, 2010
Okay. i am forced to accept the undeniably powerful influence of silence when answers remain unknown. smiley
Re: The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic by TheClown: 12:01pm On Aug 17, 2010
This issue is treated differently by different people even in the Catholic Church. Again, no amount of explanation on Nairaland would tell you exactly what you want to hear, this is because you are not the only that would be addressed here, meaning, people with even greater doubts than yourself would surface to derail the thread, amidst insult and name-callings. Just like Muslims and Jehovah witnesses would never agree with you that Jesus Christ, whom you believe to be God is actually God and bring in all forms of logic to convince you accordingly, that is how Catholics, amidst other believes would argue the bodily assumption of Mary into heaven. The argument, if started might never finish.
My advice to you is, if you are really sincere about knowing the truth, or even just understanding what its all about, meet your parish priest or a knowledgeable member of the block rosary, they would answer all your questions, at the end, whether its satisfactory or not depends on you. Faith is most times as perceived by an individual or a group of people and not as seen by everybody, highly subjective. The question then becomes what you take from your faith, how it works for you, and where you hope it leads you to. There is therefore no need holding a faith that you don't agree with, deep down your heart.
Re: The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic by aletheia(m): 4:11am On Aug 18, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

The Priest explained at length that while the evidence of the Assumption of the Blessed Mary (Body and Spirit) into heaven is not in the Bible, . . .
^Not in the Bible. Case closed.
Actually the RCC is heavily into the ancient Roman Mysteries and worship of solar deities which is thinly disguised under the veneer of Christianity. Mariolatry is but another twist on the Isis/Horus - Astarte/Tammuz &c worship.
Re: The Assumption Of Mary - Satisfactory Answer Needed From A Devout Catholic by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 18, 2010
Not in the Bible. Case closed

is the word bible in the bible? Should we now assume that Mary,Peter Paul e.t.c are still alive since their deaths were not recorded in the bible.Come to think of it was it not the same RCC that compiled the bible you now hold so dearly?

The assumption of the Vigin Mary was part of the apostolic tradition passed down but was first recorded in the fourth century.We should know Mary was not the first to be assumed into heaven ,hence the concept is not strange in the bible since Enoch,Elijah and Moses were equally taken up body and soul into heaven

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Qualifies A Prayer To Be Fervent? / Oil Tycoon’s Daughter June Hunt Beckons The Hurting At Her Ministry Center / Before Getting Married By Dr: Uma Ukpia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.