Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After (1304 Views)

2002 Bombs Ikeja Bomb Blast: Boom�� On You Wailers / Borno Dwarf Security Guard Who Is Paid N5000 Per Suicide Bomb Attack Arrested / Suicide Bomber Killed While Trying To Detonate His Bomb In Borno. Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Campusparot: 4:45am On Jan 23, 2019
Just like any other day, Jan 27th, 2002 will be a day Lagosians will never forget in a hurry. It is a Sunday afternoon, just after service, we all thought it's going to rain as there are thundering sounds, I remembered my mom told me to go and pack the washed clothes inside because it is about to rain, little did we know that calamity and wailings await the center of excellence. 3000 were reported dead in the Oke Afa river of the Ikeja cantonment. This is not to bore you, but to have a reflect on Ikeja 27th Jan., bombing in Lagos. Let these pictures refresh your mind...

2002 Lagos armoury explosion

The Lagos armoury explosion was the accidental detonation of a large stock of military high explosives at a storage facility in the city of Lagos, Nigeria, on 27 January 2002. The fires created by the debris from this explosion burnt down a large section of Northern Lagos, and created a panic that spread to other areas. As people fled the flames, many stumbled into a concealed canal and were drowned. The explosion and its aftermath are believed to have killed at least 1,100 people and displaced over 20,000, with many thousands injured or homeless. The government of Nigeria launched an enquiry, which blamed the Nigerian Army for failing to properly maintain the base, or to decommission it when instructed to do so in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Lagos_armoury_explosion

Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Campusparot: 4:52am On Jan 23, 2019

Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Campusparot: 4:53am On Jan 23, 2019
Seun

Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Racoon(m): 4:53am On Jan 23, 2019
May Nigeria never witness that kind of calamity again o.The explosions were simply deafening & frightening.
God rest the soul of the departed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by famouscargo4u: 5:46am On Jan 23, 2019
Atiku always showed that he wants my seat from day one - Obasanjo.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by helinues: 6:27am On Jan 23, 2019
Just like yesterday.

Oke afa canal did most of the damages.

Rip to the death
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Niorte: 8:39am On Jan 23, 2019
That day, I rushed out of the house in my location at Lekki. Every one came out...it was like war wanted to start or rapture kind of thing....because all neighbours could hear the sound.

From Ikeja... We heard in Lekki.
It was a sad day for Lagosians
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Faru: 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2019
May the souls of the departed continue to rest in the bosom of God Almighty
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 08, 2019
That day was indeed a scary one
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by IbrahimDamola: 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2019
Niorte:
That day, I rushed out of the house in my location at Lekki. Every one came out...it was like war wanted to start or rapture kind of thing....because all neighbours could hear the sound.

From Ikeja... We heard in Lekki.
It was a sad day for Lagosians

The walls of our house were shaking. People were running helter-skelter, it was like a war situation. I lost 2 playmates that day and a friend's dad. May their souls rest in peace. embarassed

Ahh memories!
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Beremx(f): 5:05pm On Mar 08, 2019
I remember that day very well. I was still living in Festac Town when it happened. At Festac Town, we could hear the vibration from the blast and how it nearly shattered our windows. No be small experience.

It seems the Government have forgotten about the blast so soon. Passing the Oke Afa bridge almost on daily basis, reminds me of the incident.

May their souls rest in peace Amen
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by Auladimeji2: 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2019
That was the very day a parrot (A gorgeous damsel) was given birth in my family. Many people wept that day but my family was joyous
Re: Lagos Ikeja Bomb Last:-17years After by famouscargo4u: 5:41pm On Mar 08, 2019
I pass there everyday and I just did now, find attached the pictures. It was as if the world was coming to an end. We thought the vibration was thunder. Lagos shook!!!. Apparently, Obasanjo was in Lagos military cantonment for briefing and it showed from all indication that he was targeted for the blast. Obasanja knew Atiku wanted to take over the reins of power from him at all cost,this made him fortified himself spiritually that he can't be killed by anyone safe for natural death. On that fateful day, information from grapevine has it that Obasanjo was supposed to stay at least 3 hours more but cut it short having been alerted spiritually of impending danger, he quickly made his way out of the cantonment. Barely 1 hourly later the blast began in multiple folds at all directions. For the records, Atiku's narcissism has a long history. Thousands of Lagisians had to lick their wounds for being bereaved or deceased.

(1) (Reply)

PDP, APC, Presidency Reacts As Osinbajo Survives Helicopter Crash In Kogi / Jonathan Government Gave Irrevocable Licence To Electricity Distribution Company / Nnamdi Kanu Is A Very Useless Idiot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.