Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour (13564 Views)

Udeh Chiamaka Victoria Graduates With First Class In Medicine In Russia / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Rejects N50m Raised By Berekete Family / Meet Chiamaka Deborah Motilewa, 25-Year-Old Covenant University PhD Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Teeceepat(f): 9:45am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:
What lunacy. ASUU should not even think of calling of this strike. Our education system is in shambles, y'all should stop pressuring ASUU until the FG does the needful. Sometimes I wonder if these people mounting pressure on ASUU are truly students because no sane student would want to continue learning in that shithole system.
they fighting for their selfish intrest They are just being selfish and greedy. Money wey dey go still chop. A beg they should call off the strike.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by onmyowncj: 9:47am On Jan 24, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Trash.
u are a fool,a very lousy one at that

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by lanrally: 9:53am On Jan 24, 2019
Miss Chiamaka,
May be addressing this open letter to Federal Government would have been a better option. This strike of ASUU like other unions in Nigeria is only an indication of poor level of development of the nation. I grew up to know this phenomenon before I got into higher institution some 20 years ago. Why are we still here?

Of course, students will be affected by strikes, you are just not aware that they (lecturers) too are: some of them are still students running after higher degrees, while some of them have children in this same Universities.
Tell me one visible or laudable thing this government has done about education. Primary school feeding abi? Very soon higher institutions will be facing the same rot in primary schools.
I pity Nigeria, I pity the students
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by forayfleo(m): 9:53am On Jan 24, 2019
Pls i also want you to send such letter to the Government asking them to comply with the demand because i know 30k for minimum wage is not even enough for an average Nigeria so that i will also like u to reach the Government to do......
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Nduxx(m): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2019
Carry this letter go Twitter @ASUUNGR is their handle
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by MannaFromHeaven(m): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2019
Its high time we'd stop putting pressure on the union why don't we shift the pressure of FG and let's see what happens next. The strike will happen no more if FG has intention of improving our public education standard. See where our public primary and secondary schools are now, do you want our public universities to become dilapitated like that of our public primary and secondary schools?

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Khanben: 9:57am On Jan 24, 2019
The sad thing about the letter is where the writer wrote that she does not know what the demands of ASUU entails. Most Nigerian students currently suffering from this strike and their parents also fall into this category. It is perplexing that these things keep on happening incessantly and most Nigerians have not even bothered to find out, what the reasons are, for the incessant strikes actions. The level of nonchalance about the ongoings of our polity is one of the main reasons why majority of nigerians are aptly describe by both Fela's song 'zombie' and Lagbaja'song '200 million mumu'.

PS: If you are a Nigerian student/ youth and you've not taken out time to find out what is causing these repetitions in strike actions then please do so.

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Austema(m): 10:01am On Jan 24, 2019
ybalogs:
Donald Trump 72, President of America and still pushing for more.

Wole Soyinka 84, Nobel laureate. He's still writing and pushing for more.

Mohammadu Buhari 75, President of Nigeria and still pushing for more.

Aliko Dangote 61, richest man in Africa and still pushing for more.

Olu Jacobs 76, veteran actor and still pushing for more.

Oprah Winfrey 64, one of the most powerful women on earth and still pushing for more.

Folorunsho Alakija 67, the wealthiest woman in Africa and still pushing for more.

You're just:
50 and you're giving up.

You better shake off the dust and get moving.

You're too young to quit!

#WinningAttitudes
God-bless you. So inspiring and motivating
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by SouLPoison(m): 10:11am On Jan 24, 2019
I don't get why we are actually the one paying for negligence of pur government concerning the state of education in the country ,that's the question I need answers to,like why students ? If they close all public institutions government won't be affected one bit, pls if they would tell me how? This people should look for another way.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by megafaraday(m): 10:22am On Jan 24, 2019
In all this, the students bear the most pain. Lecturers continue to receive salaries while government goes about its business as if theres no strike in the first place. So in my opinion this strike action is not working as it doesnt in any way affect the government directly

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by RoyalUc(m): 10:27am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Your points are valid. No changes would occur but if the fund is managed properly, our siblings and children are going to enjoy a better education system than we did. If ASUU should call off this strike and never go on any industrial action again, those 400level students you mentioned will definitely be happy, but our education system will also decline to the minimum.
Let everyone be patient, the government should provide proper funding to the education sector. The quality of education in Nigeria is too low, we should fight this not ignore it.

May I ask you a question?
Do you have the full knowledge of what ASUU is 'stricking' for?
I'll suggest you download the agreement they entered into with the previous administration, go through it thoroughly, and see if ASUU is actually fighting for you or for themselves

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by toxicbrain: 10:35am On Jan 24, 2019
this on lacks sense I swear....

you Don't even know why they are striking and you are writting a letter. this is the type of student that passes through university without knowing the objectives of her course. all she wants is to write exam and pass. if you see them you will know! mtcheew
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Kaybex007(m): 10:36am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:
What lunacy. ASUU should not even think of calling of this strike. Our education system is in shambles, y'all should stop pressuring ASUU until the FG does the needful. Sometimes I wonder if these people mounting pressure on ASUU are truly students because no sane student would want to continue learning in that shithole system.

The question I will ask is if ASUU are really fighting for the student. In case you don't know whenever they go on a meeting they given brown envelope/Ghana must go filled with money to stop the strike. Once they collect it they keep their mouth shot until they finish spending last bribe they are given, then they embark on another strike waiting for the next bribe. It is the amount for bribery that is causing issue between the two parties and not the major reason we all think it is.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by DerideGull(m): 10:37am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:

What you failed to comprehend in this saga remains that the so-called FG in the bolded above have their kids studying overseas. Nigeria should make law that states the kids of government officials must study in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Valstresser: 10:38am On Jan 24, 2019
Martinez19:
You took the words out of my mouth. Why don't they complain about the federal government?
. You really spoke my mind. ASUU is not fighting for salary increments but improve learning condition among others. I wish she should be courageous enough to also write to Federal government. Our Educational system is still in shambles because our politicians send their kids to Europe and America for studies while our Universities lack enabling environment for studies.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by jesmond3945: 10:42am On Jan 24, 2019
Why not direct your letter to buhari? You think ASUU are not ready to go back to the classroom? Why did buhari appoint incompetent hands to head the labour and education ministry? Oh i forgot buhari is a nepotistic leader. You see what nepotism can do to a system. Without ASUU and TETFUND you would have been learning under the tree, if you like private school then go and pay their fees.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by LamidicownuBSS: 10:44am On Jan 24, 2019
Expecting Obasanjo to write letter may be they will hear
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by RoyalUc(m): 10:46am On Jan 24, 2019
Khanben:
The sad thing about the letter is where the writer wrote that she does not know what the demands of ASUU entails. Most Nigerian students currently suffering from this strike and their parents also fall into this category. It is perplexing that these things keep on happening incessantly and most Nigerians have not even bothered to find out, what the reasons are, for the incessant strikes actions. The level of nonchalance about the ongoings of our polity is one of the main reasons why majority of nigerians are aptly describe by both Fela's song 'zombie' and Lagbaja'song '200 million mumu'.

PS: If you are a Nigerian student/ youth and you've not taken out time to find out what is causing these repetitions in strike actions then please do so.

"The sad thing about the letter is where the writer wrote that she does not know what the demands of ASUU entails. Most Nigerian students currently suffering from this strike and their parents also fall into this category."

It's really sad! I'd once challenged ASUU to make their demands public if they are actually fighting for a better education system in Nigeria.

From your write up, I guess you've seen the agreement they entered into with the previous administration, with all amount of sincerity, tell me;
- are those demands realistic for now?
- having gone through the document, do you truly think ASUU is fighting for the students or for themselves?
No nation in Africa can conveniently implement those demands for now (considering the size and challenges of Nigeria)
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by VictorJoshua(m): 10:49am On Jan 24, 2019
Proudly Zikite, NAU all the way!
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by RoyalUc(m): 10:58am On Jan 24, 2019
Valstresser:
. You really spoke my mind. ASUU is not fighting for salary increments but improve learning condition among others. I wish she should be courageous enough to also write to Federal government. Our Educational system is still in shambles because our politicians send their kids to Europe and America for studies while our Universities lack enabling environment for studies.

"ASUU is not fighting for salary increments but improve learning condition among others."
You are sure about that?
I have a copy of their demands, how can I forward it to you?

Take it or leave it, ASUU is not ASUU is not fighting for any "improve learning condition."

I used to think like this before.

The only concern I have for ASUU is that working conditions affect motivation and productivity
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Yemhey(m): 11:03am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Your points are valid. No changes would occur but if the fund is managed properly, our siblings and children are going to enjoy a better education system than we did. If ASUU should call off this strike and never go on any industrial action again, those 400level students you mentioned will definitely be happy, but our education system will also decline to the minimum.
Let everyone be patient, the government should provide proper funding to the education sector. The quality of education in Nigeria is too low, we should fight this not ignore it.

As if we're not from this country (Nigeria).
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by deholly99: 11:08am On Jan 24, 2019
eagleeye2:
The strike will be called off after the election.
I even wonder if atiku is not behind all this
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by LuckyM: 11:30am On Jan 24, 2019
Good move, but I think the pressure and appeal should be directed more to the FG
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by mechanics(m): 11:31am On Jan 24, 2019
She should not loose hope.
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Ecceking(m): 11:33am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:
I don't blame you. probably none of your relatives is in the University. so you think even if the whole money is released to ASUU that our universities will get any better. in this country everybody is looking to enrich his pocket so what makes you think that the ASUU executives are different from those in government. please they should call off the strike let students finish school and struggle for themselves
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 24, 2019
Elzak:
The writer fails to remind ASUU that they are receiving their salaries steadily while we are stuck at home
You fail to understand that lecturers are paid for just teaching only but research. Many are into research as I type
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 24, 2019
TeleboiZ005:
What changes will occur in school now if FG pays the money to ASUU and they calls of the strike??..
Won't the students still see the same old buildingsstructure??
Won't the students still see the same tet-fund buildings
Won't Students still see the same Laboratories and class rooms ??
Will security in Universities improve??
Will the students be having steady power supply??
Will the students have serene environment to read
Wont the students be seeing some LAZY Lecturers who are not ready to teach??

Do you know that Depression Is currently on hold on some of the Students?? And most of the students are now having a second thoughts about schooling?.
Do you that our "rents" , "Hostel space" in school is counting and some have expired, will ASUU pay it for the students??
The lastly, what about the FINAL YEARS who are supposed to convocate last year, but are still unable to cos of this Strike, can't the union at least have mercy on them

Answer my questions in ordely pls

The Union should call off the strike and continue negotiating with the FG...
IS that too much to ask those who do recieves their monthly salaries but are not working

Put the pressure on the government because they are too slow. The only language they understand is strike
Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Ecceking(m): 11:41am On Jan 24, 2019
TeleboiZ005:
What changes will occur in school now if FG pays the money to ASUU and they calls of the strike??..
Won't the students still see the same old buildingsstructure??
Won't the students still see the same tet-fund buildings
Won't Students still see the same Laboratories and class rooms ??
Will security in Universities improve??
Will the students be having steady power supply??
Will the students have serene environment to read
Wont the students be seeing some LAZY Lecturers who are not ready to teach??

Do you know that Depression Is currently on hold on some of the Students?? And most of the students are now having a second thoughts about schooling?.
Do you that our "rents" , "Hostel space" in school is counting and some have expired, will ASUU pay it for the students??
The lastly, what about the FINAL YEARS who are supposed to convocate last year, but are still unable to cos of this Strike, can't the union at least have mercy on them

Answer my questions in ordely pls

The Union should call off the strike and continue negotiating with the FG...
IS that too much to ask those who do recieves their monthly salaries but are not working

please tell am oo. some students in my school ESUT have finished their final year exam but still haven't defended their project until now. what about those in final year that were expecting to finish their studies this year. even the first years

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 24, 2019
Randy100:
OKafor Chiamaka is very stupid. She should be directing her letters to the FG.
She is not stupid rather she is sad. You don't wear the shoe to know how it feels

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Anigreat: 11:54am On Jan 24, 2019
MathsEconomics:

Big thrash a very big one.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by TeleboiZ005(m): 12:06pm On Jan 24, 2019
asuustrike1:

Put the pressure on the government because they are too slow. The only language they understand is strike
Answers those questions I asked please...
If FG eventually release the money or come to agreement and ASUU calls of Strike, will anything change in Universities??

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To ASUU President- By Okafor Chiamaka Favour by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 24, 2019
TeleboiZ005:

Answers those questions I asked please...
If FG eventually release the money or come to agreement and ASUU calls of Strike, will anything change in Universities??
Yes alot will change

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

{Official} UNN Merit ADMISSION List 2012/2013 Session is OUT.Check Ur Name Here / Unilorin Releases Nuclear Bomb For 2008/2009 (post Jamb Cutoff Is 240). / Despite 'N74M' Allocation, Students Sit On The Floor To Take Classes In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.