Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe (51282 Views)

Rate My Caucasian / SEASON 2 Diary Of My Caucasian (bear) and puppies / Meet Isis My Caucasian Shepherd. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 5:41pm On Jan 24, 2019
Let me tell you guys about my experience with my dog, it might be long tho smiley
I actually have a CO
He is very confident and unusually brave, he started barking at strangers at 4 weeks but his confidence level was weak. Infact, where I got him he was being bullied by the other dogs but I still took a chance on him
I'm not a professional trainer but I used the help of google and forums to mould him into a very brave dog. By the time he was 2 months old, he was already a watchdog(he always barked and backed away when a stranger walked in lol)
But by the time he clocked three months, he was brave enough to charge.
I still haven't seen anything he is scared of till date (except one dryer I purposefully made him scared of)
Be it bullets,weapons,fireworks or intruders, there was this time that three men entered my compound(I came with them but he didn't see me early enough)and he came to the gate and kept on barking at us raising alarm... His legs were trembling and he peed a little but he acted confident.
When he was four months old two gsd's( one 3 years old, one eight months old) came to my gate and he out-barked them and they left.
When he was younger I could call him off but now he is getting more strong willed and he disobeys me when he's really excited I'm starting to worry I won't be able to control him again lol
Last week some children where screaming and coming back from school and I was with him outside my gate, he thought they where coming to my compound so he tried to attack them but luckily I was there to hold him back.
Right now he's 5 months old and he's still very loving towards my family but he's very protective of us.
My only hope of controlling him now is with that dryer I spoke about earlier. I actually saw this coming and made him sacred of it
Even when I take him out, he doesn't let anyone close to the car or if I move him to a different place, he continues his guarding immediately even if he has never been there before.
I don't even think I can have another dog since he's already a hand full, he also has high energy especially when the weather is cool and he's wet he will just be running around the compound attacking and destroying anything that moves.
Although he's still basically a puppy he behaves like an adult dog sometimes I have to check his teeth to remind myself.
by 6 weeks he had already started humping my leg haha
What I've observed in him is that he's very diligent in guarding the compound no matter what, there was a time my sister wanted to travel very early in the morning so everywhere was still dark, he took injections in his legs that hurt pretty bad so he couldn't even walk for days but to my surprise, he ran towards her barking.
When he noticed she was the one, he fell back down and started crying because of the leg pains. From that day, I acknowledged his loyalty and diligence, he may not be extremely smart but he covers up with his diligence and loyalty.
I also noticed that the common things you hear about COs are not entirely true, he isn't lazy instead he is pretty active during cool weather, he isn't extremely smart but he knows his job is to protect and he will rather die trying which is all I need.
note : I never beat him, I rarely chained him to a particular place but he turned out aggressive and territorial.
he has never fallen sick and he has this way of scaring people before they enter my compound, his bark and growl is like that of an adult dog, I didn't bring him outside till he was grown so people thought he was an adult because of his bark hehe.
despite his hatred for strangers, he is very affectionate towards my family and people I am cool with, once he sees me smiling and talking to you he calms down and just watches you while growling.
I don't really have any recent pics of him but I still have some older ones
here are some pics of him
Roscoe at 4 weeks
Roscoe at 6 weeks(I mistakingly gave him something that made him have diarrhoea so he lost weight oops!)
Roscoe at 6 weeks alert(and recovered from the diarrhoea)
Roscoe at 8 weeks
I just wanted to write this here please don't mind if it's too long hehe
this is just an appreciation thread for my lovely dog
I don't know if he's 100 percent pure but tbh I don't care, he's still the best dog I've ever had!

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by oluomoadebayo: 6:14pm On Jan 24, 2019
You need to work a lot on Roscoe social skill because what you explained is insecurity which could be very dangerous when he is fully matured. A dog at 5 months is supposed to be free and happy. You have to stop using the dryer to control him because you are creating a bigger problem for the future.

I would start obedience training with him right away if I were you. Take him everywhere and let him get comfortable around strangers but don't allow anyone outside your family to pet or touch him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 6:19pm On Jan 24, 2019
oluomoadebayo:
You need to work a lot on Roscoe social skill because what you explained is insecurity which could be very dangerous when he is fully matured. A dog at 5 months is supposed to be free and happy. You have to stop using the dryer to control him because you are creating a bigger problem for the future.

I would start obedience training with him right away if I were you. Take him everywhere and let him get comfortable around strangers but don't allow anyone outside your family to pet or touch him.
Thanks for your comment his behavior was cute when he was small but now....I fear he'll get out of hand. I'll try what you advised

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by oluomoadebayo: 6:21pm On Jan 24, 2019
IamAnderson:

Thanks for your comment his behavior was cute when he was small but now....I fear he'll get out of hand. I'll try what you advised

YWC. Most people reinforced bad behavior without knowing but he is still very young now. You can contact a good trainer to help you with obedience without conflicts.

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 6:33pm On Jan 24, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

YWC. Most people reinforced bad behavior without knowing but he is still very young now. You can contact a good trainer to help you with obedience without conflicts.
Thanks Sir I was actually hoping you'll comment smiley
That's why I put everything out here, i wanted to see people's opinion on his behavior... I always thought it wasn't normal
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 6:36pm On Jan 24, 2019
Please feel free to comment, tell me if I'm doing anything wrong and kindly drop your opinion smiley
I don't want him to be a nuisance when he's an adult but I'm actually satisfied with his bravery... I just want to learn how to control him better
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 8:58pm On Jan 24, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

is there any way I can get your number?
I would really like to pick your brain about some training skills please
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by oluomoadebayo: 9:09pm On Jan 24, 2019
IamAnderson:

is there any way I can get your number?
I would really like to pick your brain about some training skills please

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by agboedeh: 10:05pm On Jan 24, 2019
hmmmmm. DAT dog looks like abbeg's dog
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 12:14am On Jan 25, 2019
agboedeh:
hmmmmm. DAT dog looks like abbeg's dog
it would have been strange if it didn't look like abbegs dog.....why?
abbeg is my brother! haha

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by agboedeh: 7:47am On Jan 25, 2019
IamAnderson:
it would have been strange if it didn't look like abbegs dog.....why? abbeg is my brother! haha
Oo..okay

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by space9880: 2:52pm On Jan 26, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

is there any reason why you said strangers should not touch or pet?

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by space9880: 2:54pm On Jan 26, 2019
IamAnderson:
it would have been strange if it didn't look like abbegs dog.....why? abbeg is my brother! haha
or you are abbeg.. lol

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Namdeenero(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2019
Olumoadebayo is right, a Caucasian dog is one breed you have to bring under your control else they'll control you.. And they're very stubborn too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 8:19am On Jan 27, 2019
Namdeenero:
Olumoadebayo is right, a Caucasian dog is one breed you have to bring under your control else they'll control you.. And they're very stubborn too
I saw your dog.....very beautiful smiley
how do you keep her under control?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by jeff1607(m): 11:23am On Jan 27, 2019
IamAnderson:
I saw your dog.....very beautiful smiley how do you keep her under control?

how is your feeding regimen?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by jeff1607(m): 11:25am On Jan 27, 2019
oluomoadebayo:

please you got any information about keeping parvo at Bay aside vitamin c
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Namdeenero(m): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2019
IamAnderson:

I saw your dog.....very beautiful smiley
how do you keep her under control?
Bro seriously it has not been easy at all, some people say Caucasians are couch potatoes but mine is something else, she's very territorial and aggressive. I noticed this when she was just a tiny pup cos she was always growling when I touched her head so I started training immediately. I did all sorts of things that irritate her and flair her up then I started obedience training. Now I can control her when her aggression sets in, I taught her to attack on command when I'm around but when I'm not there the OYO is anybodys case cos she doesn't listen to anybody else except me grin

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 1:36pm On Jan 27, 2019
jeff1607:

how is your feeding regimen?

mainly diamond dry puppy food and chicken
then occasionally, plain rice and chicken, dry fish, biscuit bones, milk, multivitamins and cod liver oil smiley
p.s I was giving him pedigree canned food but I stopped and stuck to dry food because he could finish one carton in less than two weeks
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 1:42pm On Jan 27, 2019
Namdeenero:
Bro seriously it has not been easy at all, some people say Caucasians are couch potatoes but mine is something else, she's very territorial and aggressive. I noticed this when she was just a tiny pup cos she was always growling when I touched her head so I started training immediately. I did all sorts of things that irritate her and flair her up then I started obedience training. Now I can control her when her aggression sets in, I taught her to attack on command when I'm around but when I'm not there the OYO is anybodys case cos she doesn't listen to anybody else except me grin
guy same here ooh my own is the farthest thing from a couch potatoe and he has exactly the same temperament with yours and I'm trying to teach him obedience.... any tips
he's five months old now I hope it's not too late?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Namdeenero(m): 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2019
IamAnderson:

guy same here ooh my own is the farthest thing from a couch potatoe and he has exactly the same temperament with yours and I'm trying to teach him obedience.... any tips
he's five months old now I hope it's not too late?
Start basic obedience training right away bro
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2019
Namdeenero:
Start basic obedience training right away bro
he already knows the sit, stand up, go outside, go home, handshake, come, jump, come and eat, and relax commands
I just need to learn how to control his aggression and also make him obey me better
that's the only issue I have with him....his stubbornness
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Namdeenero(m): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2019
IamAnderson:

he already knows the sit, stand up, go outside, go home, handshake, come, jump, come and eat, and relax commands
I just need to learn how to control his aggression and also make him obey me better
that's the only issue I have with him....his stubbornness
When your dog is still a pup, sometimes is very necessary to punish some bad behaviors. I scold then tap the muzzle a bit, now when I tap her muzzle she behaves

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 7:22pm On Jan 31, 2019
IamAnderson:

When he was four months old two gsd's( one 3 years old, one eight months old) came to my gate and he out-barked them and they left.
Roscoe was attacked by that 3 year old gsd today....the gsd ran into my compound today because my gate was open and tried to attack me.
Roscoe was with me (although he was on his leash) so he blocked the gsd and got bitten.
he tried to fight back but I was dragging him back because I felt that if they fought, the fight might be fatal to Roscoe.
the dog bit his leg but he managed to bark and push the dog, then the gsd ran away.
he's okay tho, the gsd barely injured him due to his fur, he escaped with just a few grazes.
he's limping but I think he'll be fine...
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2019
I managed to take a pic of Roscoe, he never stays still for pictures so all his pics come out blurry.
someone had to keep him distracted so I could snap him.
what do you think of his growth?, I've been checking his growth chart and it seems normal to me what do you think?
he's 5months+ now

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2019
another pic

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by jeff1607(m): 5:51pm On Feb 13, 2019
IamAnderson:
I managed to take a pic of Roscoe, he never stays still for pictures so all his pics come out blurry.
someone had to keep him distracted so I could snap him.
what do you think of his growth?, I've been checking his growth chart and it seems normal to me what do you think?
he's 5months+ now

wanted to ask , how do you summon courage taking your dog out for walks knowing the chances of contacting parvo is high especially this period?

also when local dogs come near you during walks how do you send them away without them coming close or allowing him attack them for fear of contacts
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 6:03pm On Feb 13, 2019
jeff1607:

wanted to ask , how do you summon courage taking your dog out for walks knowing the chances of contacting parvo is high especially this period?

also when local dogs come near you during walks how do you send them away without them coming close or allowing him attack them for fear of contacts
in my area there aren't many dogs and the few dogs that are their don't come outside.....so the chances of him getting parvo are slimmer.
I also made sure he got vaccinated against parvo and other things so he has a better chance of preventing them.
I haven't met any local dog on our walks before so I don't have any experience dealing with them, the only local dog I see is always chained in front of one compound and the dog always tries to attack him any time I pass but they haven't fought before.
I think I can ward off a local dog if it tries to attack him tho, I'm ready to do anything.
for now, he's the only dog that get's walked in my area so the parvo transmission scare is not a big fear of mine, infact I'm taking him to the vet on friday for his rabies vaccine.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by jeff1607(m): 6:16pm On Feb 13, 2019
IamAnderson:

in my area there aren't many dogs and the few dogs that are their don't come outside.....so the chances of him getting parvo are slimmer.
I also made sure he got vaccinated against parvo and other things so he has a better chance of preventing them.
I haven't met any local dog on our walks before so I don't have any experience dealing with them, the only local dog I see is always chained in front of one compound and the dog always tries to attack him any time I pass but they haven't fought before.
I think I can ward off a local dog if it tries to attack him tho, I'm ready to do anything.
for now, he's the only dog that get's walked in my area so the parvo transmission scare is not a big fear of mine, infact I'm taking him to the vet on friday for his rabies vaccine.

cool
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Lloydthesaint: 9:02pm On Feb 13, 2019
He is big for his age
Do you shave his fur

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 9:41pm On Feb 13, 2019
Lloydthesaint:
He is big for his age
Do you shave his fur
PH heat is something else... I trim it down during hot weather but it grows longer during the cold wink
his fur isn't that long tho, his dad's fur doesn't grow very long rather it grows thick, I think he got that from his dad, his mum's fur was longer.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Tobimillar1(m): 8:26pm On Mar 02, 2019
IamAnderson:
another pic
Where did you get your dog ? I mean the parent of the dog? And how much was it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

We Caught This Monitor Lizard And I Am Presently Keeping It As A Pet / These Are The Cutest Dog Breeds According To Science (Photos) / Caught A Green Snake And I Want To Keep It As Pet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.