Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,030 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:43 AM

What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? (16758 Views)

See The Keyboard Shortcuts That Can Be Used On A Chromebook / Are You Using A Chromebook? / Where I Can Get A Chromebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by maxweb(m): 4:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Throw it away.
a chromebook is a laptop using a linux os but uses chrome to perform almost all functions which means u must be on internet at all times.
some chromebook can run android apps also
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Emaxwell(m): 4:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Chrome book I basically for browsing and it work just like Google pixel powered by Google.

The only browser there is Google chrome.

But since it is a gift I would prefer you don't sell it so as not to stop the person from giving you other things

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by pansophist(m): 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2019
Earthbound:

Well, how is it?

Reread my comment. I updated it

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by dallex10(m): 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2019
Amina2019:
smh.... this comment made me hungry.

You mean Hot?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Amina2019: 4:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
hungry biko. must every thing be sexual

dallex10:
You mean Hot?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by lomprico(m): 4:14pm On Jan 25, 2019
None!
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 25, 2019
I did a small search on your behalf will post the link below this I would say the disadvantages first

1. Storage not really friendly for lots of graphic intensive work if you plan not to do more than word processing it’s the best for you but anything media related your storage won’t hold the highest you can get is like 32gig even with SD card but external may solve it but do you have USB?

2. Everything in the cloud even the printing so it will be tedious if your network is slow and not to forget the device might be slow sef

3. No Microsoft office you have to use their own processing software

See more here https://www.techbout.com/disadvantages-of-chromebooks-69/

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by dallex10(m): 4:15pm On Jan 25, 2019
Amina2019:
hungry biko. must every thing be sexual

Can you explain the relationship between 'selling a Lenovo Chromebook' and 'hunger'?
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by martineverest(m): 4:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
teewai3:
Not much difference Chromebook is just smarter, faster and more secure
no much difference??are u serious?.. Chromebook is a laptop for browsing, simple
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by martineverest(m): 4:25pm On Jan 25, 2019
aleeyus:

Google Chromebooks are - in general - low-priced laptops which you're probably considering alongside cheap laptops running Windows.

In the past, we'd have said that they were very different devices, but these days Chromebooks can run Android apps as well as Chrome web apps. This means there's a huge choice of software you can install and run, often without an internet connection.

For a very long time Microsoft Office wasn't available on Chromebooks, but recently it has been released for all Chromebooks that have the Google Play store (not all have it, so check before you buy).

For some people, Office is a deal-maker, but for a lot of people the obvious alternative on the Chromebook is to use Google apps instead.

Docs is the equivalent of Word, Sheets replaces Excel and Slides PowerPoint. Each of these is compatible with most Microsoft Office files, and they provide most of the core functions you're likely to need.

Better still, Google's apps allow real-time collaboration on a file so you can work on it at the same time as others, and all for free: no Office 365 subscription required.

We give a lot more in-depth advice on buying a Chromebook with a list of the best models to buy, and you can check out Google's site which explains which apps you can use on a Chromebook to replace those you might use on a PC or Mac.

There are still a few limitations to be aware of, such as the fact you can't install iTunes and sync (or back up) an iPhone or iPad. But since those devices can now back themselves up directly to iCloud, there's rarely a need to connect them to a computer.
the limitations of Chromebook is huge....tho,U are mostly correct in what u typed up there
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by martineverest(m): 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
Chromebook is a Google machine that is meant for browsing.without internet your Chromebook is useless
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by teewai3(m): 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
martineverest:
no much difference??are u serious?.. Chromebook is a laptop for browsing, simple
Chromebooks are primarily designed for use while connected to the Internet. and signed in to a Google account. Instead of installing traditional applications such as word processing and instant messaging, users add web apps from the
Chrome Web Store. It also Support many USB devices such as cameras, mice, external keyboards and flash drives is included
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 25, 2019
Heywhizzy:
Are you keeping malice with Google?
Ha, ha very funny. I needed real people, in real-time, especially Nigerians to share their experiences.

Thank you, Pansophist, Solasoulmusic, Aleeyus, Martineverest and Teewai3. So it's safe to say I can't use the Chromebook for photo and video editing, or programming? Did I mention it's HDDis annoyingly just 64Gb?

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by ken6488(m): 4:50pm On Jan 25, 2019
Earthbound:
I just got a Lenovo Chromebook S330 as a gift. I'm only used to operating regular computers with Microsoft OS. Has anyone got any experience with Chromebooks? I hear you almost always need internet connection to perform even basic functions. Please share experiences, tips and tricks. Gurus, your opinions are very much welcome.

Please help a brother.
guy if you dey Nigeria plz don't use it heavily dependent on the internet
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by martineverest(m): 4:51pm On Jan 25, 2019
Earthbound:

Ha, ha very funny. I needed real people, in real-time, especially Nigerians to share their experiences.

Thank you, Pansophist, Solasoulmusic, Aleeyus, Martineverest and Teewai3. So it's safe to say I can't use the Chromebook for photo and video editing, or programming? Did I mention it's HDDis annoyingly just 64Gb?
except light editing with android apps...there is no Photoshop in chrome store.chromebook doesn't allow memory card and it's poor in cloud printing.....most Chromebook comes with 32 or 64gb.chromebook with SSD storage are very expensive like the pixel book and slate,which can't be found in nigeria.. Chromebook is also know as American children laptop as 80 percent Chromebook owners are American primary school pupils. that's the major reason it's called 'toy OS'

u can't even Install programs on chrome os like u do with windows and MacBook

in a nutshell, Chromebook is a device by Google to steal Ur data and sell it to advertisers

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 25, 2019
Chromebook is just like you having a laptop that you can only install Google Chrome browser on and every other thing it can take would have to be installed on the chrome browser as extensions. To make it clearer, It's basically having a "browser-only laptop" that you're not allowed to install any other things on.

I have a chrome book and there was a time I had issues with my laptop and needed to run some installations. That's when I hated it. Some models accept android and Linus. I tried to install android but couldn't so I settled for Linus. Unfortunately, the Linux didn't work the way I expected so I had to restore it back to the chrome OS. This is not a suitable or recommendable laptop except you have another laptop. There are some good sides to it though
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Cyoung4real(m): 5:00pm On Jan 25, 2019
pansophist:
I use Chromebook. It's ultra fast, lightweight, sleek and inexpensive. It makes my life easier than a MacBook that is unnecessarily expensive. Doesn't get hot. And noiseless

The drawback is that without internet, the laptop is as good as useless. You'll need internet just to open your laptop (your gmail account is your log in). And also, it doesn't have much application developers. I still can't download Photoshop in it and have to rely on Mac.

It's designed for light work, just to surf and use common apps like doc, ppt, excel.

Just for that? shocked the thing nonsense if na so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 25, 2019
nineone:
Chromebook is just like you having a laptop that you can only install Google Chrome browser on and every other thing it can take would have to be installed on the chrome browser as extensions. To make it clearer, It's basically having a "browser-only laptop" that you're not allowed to install any other things on.

I have a chrome book and there was a time I had issues with my laptop and needed to run some installations. That's when I hated it. Some models accept android and Linus. I tried to install android but couldn't so I settled for Linus. Unfortunately, the Linux didn't work the way I expected so I had to restore it back to the chrome OS. This is not a suitable or recommendable laptop except you have another laptop. There are some good sides to it though
Like what? The reviews so far are disheartening. And to think the person who sent me the Chromebook did it in good faith. I can figuratively start crying

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Eltonluigi(m): 5:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Slymonster:
Chromebook is just for browsing and nothing more
You
can actually play media on chromebooks
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by mfm04622: 5:30pm On Jan 25, 2019
Cheapness!

That is the only advantage

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by samsam2019: 5:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
freemanbubble:
Isoright

They are all these same joor

And still they can't beat Mac os

Use a MacBook and i assure your life will never remain the same

For every day you turn it in your life will upgrade.
Isheep
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Nduxx(m): 5:52pm On Jan 25, 2019
Chrome book is only better in the sense that whatever you do automatically sync's with your account, so you can continue your work next time just by logging into your account in any system. Everything is based online.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by BalogunIdowu(m): 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2019
Jossyroyal1:
smiley

Quora.com

I recently got banned from Quora without any reason.
What can I do to it
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by komzy589(m): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2019
Learn how to easily edit videos yourself. I'm starting a series of video tutorials on instagram. Follow me (@komzy589) and learn how to use premiere pro with short video tutorials. I'm also dishing out download link for CC 2018 version with guide on how to install it on your computer for free.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by VULCAN(m): 6:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
Bros. No lie.

You did something and you know what you did. tongue

BalogunIdowu:

I recently got banned from Quora without any reason.
What can I do to it
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by bakbayus: 6:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
aleeyus:

Google Chromebooks are - in general - low-priced laptops which you're probably considering alongside cheap laptops running Windows.

In the past, we'd have said that they were very different devices, but these days Chromebooks can run Android apps as well as Chrome web apps. This means there's a huge choice of software you can install and run, often without an internet connection.
My guy, u hit the nail on the head. I have one presently, it's use simply for streaming or browsing generally. Some things that is noticeable about chrome is it's long lasting battery and it's lightness

For a very long time Microsoft Office wasn't available on Chromebooks, but recently it has been released for all Chromebooks that have the Google Play store (not all have it, so check before you buy).

For some people, Office is a deal-maker, but for a lot of people the obvious alternative on the Chromebook is to use Google apps instead.

Docs is the equivalent of Word, Sheets replaces Excel and Slides PowerPoint. Each of these is compatible with most Microsoft Office files, and they provide most of the core functions you're likely to need.

Better still, Google's apps allow real-time collaboration on a file so you can work on it at the same time as others, and all for free: no Office 365 subscription required.

We give a lot more in-depth advice on buying a Chromebook with a list of the best models to buy, and you can check out Google's site which explains which apps you can use on a Chromebook to replace those you might use on a PC or Mac.

There are still a few limitations to be aware of, such as the fact you can't install iTunes and sync (or back up) an iPhone or iPad. But since those devices can now back themselves up directly to iCloud, there's rarely a need to connect them to a computer.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by TheBoy1740: 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2019
There is no advantage as long as you're in Nigeria. Unless of course you have a near infinite supply of internet.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by habeylinco(m): 6:39pm On Jan 25, 2019
Chrome book is mainly for cloud computing on like regular laptop. Most of the software for chrome book is on the cloud which means without internet and subscription( Software as a Service SAAS) you can't use a chrome book.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by pyrex23(m): 7:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
teewai3:
Not much difference Chromebook is just smarter, faster and more secure
SMH..
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by donsheddy1(m): 7:24pm On Jan 25, 2019
dallex10:
Seeeeeeell it
OLX it ooo. But it's not everything though, you can still use it like your regular PC.
Re: What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? by Blastedholligan: 7:43pm On Jan 25, 2019
I got a laptop for 65k with nvidia graphics card. Very sleek

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Using Computer Keyboard Short Cut (tips 'n Tricks) / Mtn Latest Free Browsing Codes / I Buy Scrap Laptops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.