Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started (30377 Views)

Atiku Reacts To CJN Onnoghen's Petition in CCB / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed / Breaking: FG Asks CJN Onnoghen To Vacate Office Over Asset Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Jonadull: 8:51am On Jan 26, 2019
Lmao
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Pat4321: 8:52am On Jan 26, 2019
KingGBsky:

You Nigerians don't k ow what Buhari has in mind for you?
What concerns me most is the lives lost daily because of Buhari. That is my major concern. I cry for Nigerians if this man wins.
Oh my GOD help Buhari to destroy and bury Nigeria
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by MobilityExpress: 8:52am On Jan 26, 2019
The danger of a corrupt CJN is that the judiciary too will be corrupt. And the danger of a corrupt judiciary is not only that justice can be denied, but the greatest danger of it all is that injustice can be bought. A corrupt judiciary is worse and more damaging to any country than a corrupt executive.

3 Likes

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by MrImole: 8:52am On Jan 26, 2019
Mr President is only kidding, he reserves no such right to suspend the CJN, why did he have to wait until the upper house went for recess?
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Racoon(m): 8:54am On Jan 26, 2019
Buhari is a despot and tyrannt who fully knows the legal complication of the illegality he have just carried out but the desperation to perpetuate himself in power is behind all these shenanigans.
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by KingGBsky(m): 8:55am On Jan 26, 2019
gaby:
The hues and cries arising from this CJN's suspension is very very funny to me.

Is there a precedence to this?

What was the reaction to same by those threatening fire and brimstone now including our learned colleagues of the luminous profession or were they all blind then because it was convenient to them?

Is our fraudulently drawn constitution explicitly clear on issues and devoid of unwarranted loopholes they now use to evade justice after causing much havoc to our national lives and thereafter term it technicalities?

How couldn't no one including the CJN's in the past and now seen how utterly skewed and rubbish our so called constitution is and how justice in Nigeria was always ever a mirage.

Perhaps this is the moment of reckoning...time to go back to the drawing board and toss the present shitt to the bins and get us something truly constitutional to run a progressive country upon.

Does the CJN have a case to answer and by extension furthering delivering justice to the highest bidder?

Nigerians always believing all they see on the news.
Hmmm I wish you know what kind of politics this people play with both media and everything.
Now a fulani man is the acting CJN. Why is it difficult for people to alight the future od Buhari's administration.
Nigeria is going through a time where Christianity would be reduced, maimed by all necessity.
I pray we survive till 2023.
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by KingGBsky(m): 8:56am On Jan 26, 2019
Pat4321:

Oh my GOD help Buhari to destroy and bury Nigeria

It's a pity. Nigerians never learn. Back in 1984/85 is Buhari, now even more dangerous
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by koyeni(m): 8:57am On Jan 26, 2019
Ok
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by goodlifehyd(m): 8:58am On Jan 26, 2019
NgeneUkwenu:
See how his trouble started.

The day he collected 5 Billion naira from Wike to sell Judgements to the PDP in 2016.

PDP never lost any case, he was a member of the panel since 2009..

Onnoghen is a useless corrupt animal.

He was one of the judges indicted for corruption and recommended for dismissal by the the Justice Kayode Eso Panel set up by the Sani Abacha military regime to probe incessant allegations of judicial corruption in 1994. Justice Onnoghen was then a judge in the Cross River State high court where he was accused of selling justice to the highest bidder. Luckily for Justice Onnoghen he had been promoted to the Court of Appeal when the implementation of the recommendation of the Eso Panel was carried out against only judges of high courts across the country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by goodlifehyd(m): 9:01am On Jan 26, 2019
KingGBsky:

It's a pity. Nigerians never learn. Back in 1984/85 is Buhari, now even more dangerous
All this overnight political analysts can go make some research and stop crying like a baby... This same dude was indicted during Abacha regime for selling justice, buhari never wanted him but the usual naija tribal game was played and he was forced to appoint him

4 Likes

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Carmal90(m): 9:01am On Jan 26, 2019
goodlifehyd:

He was one of the judges indicted for corruption and recommended for dismissal by the the Justice Kayode Eso Panel set up by the Sani Abacha military regime to probe incessant allegations of judicial corruption in 1994. Justice Onnoghen was then a judge in the Cross River State high court where he was accused of selling justice to the highest bidder. Luckily for Justice Onnoghen he had been promoted to the Court of Appeal when the implementation of the recommendation of the Eso Panel was carried out against only judges of high courts across the country.

Do you know how court operates? H
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Dave4242: 9:02am On Jan 26, 2019
[right][/right]
Pat4321:

And Buhari your father, is a terrorist, corrupted, evil, hateful, satanic agent , demonic looter, looting NNPC. Oh my GOD help Buhari to destroy and bury Nigeria. ,
And what are you? I personally think you are brainless and useless. You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting such an act. Go and see your pastor for deliverance. Gerra out of here quickly

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Dave4242: 9:04am On Jan 26, 2019
KingGBsky:

You Nigerians don't k ow what Buhari has in mind for you?
What concerns me most is the lives lost daily because of Buhari. That is my major concern. I cry for Nigerians if this man wins.
I will rather vote for Buhari than vote for Atiku and his corruption FC

1 Like

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Baawaa(m): 9:05am On Jan 26, 2019
Onnoghen is one of the enemies of this country,when chief judge of a nation is corrupt that nation is in big trouble
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by KingGBsky(m): 9:07am On Jan 26, 2019
goodlifehyd:
All this overnight political analysts can go make some research and stop crying like a baby... This same dude was indicted during Abacha regime for selling justice, buhari never wanted him but the usual naija tribal game was played and he was forced to appoint him

So he was a saint until the month before the election.
I pity Nigerians. For your information both APC n PDP are same. I only like PDP because they are not religious fanatics. Buhari will continue to make sure fulani thrives for more blood of Christians, through the herdsmen, south Kaduna and the rest.
Well we would survive it before a great change would cone that would take this current evil politicians away from the Nigerian political space.
I totally believe something would happen
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Jayslicky: 9:07am On Jan 26, 2019
goodlifehyd:
So Mr. Integrity was forced to appointing a corrupt person, the honest people I know would rather resign than stand to endorse corruption, please read what u wrote up there and ask ur self if u are making any sense.

3 Likes

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by KingGBsky(m): 9:08am On Jan 26, 2019
Dave4242:

I will rather vote for Buhari than vote for Atiku and his corruption FC

Your choice men
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by obi58: 9:09am On Jan 26, 2019
intruxive:

You can imagine, once all the vultures gathered together in broad day light under that umbrella I knew they could see a rotten meat they would soon feast on. So the chief justice was their hope of raping nigeria and returning back to power after they will have DEFINITELY lost the election.
They didnt see buhari soccer punching them at all, expect more cries and blackmail

Bros it's sucker-punch and not soccer-punch
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by jamace(m): 9:10am On Jan 26, 2019
NgeneUkwenu:
See how his trouble started.

The day he collected 5 Billion naira from Wike to sell Judgements to the PDP in 2016.

PDP never lost any case, he was a member of the panel since 2009..

Onnoghen is a useless corrupt animal.

Can Buhari suspend/remove the Senate President? NO. Therefore, Buhari can not suspend or remove the CJN.

What Buhari could have done to be on the part of law was to bring up the criminal allegations against the CJN before the NJC and the NASS, and then lobby the NJC and the NASS to vote for CJN removal/suspension.

Buhari is wrong!
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Baawaa(m): 9:12am On Jan 26, 2019
KingGBsky:

Nigerians always believing all they see on the news.
Hmmm I wish you know what kind of politics this people play with both media and everything.
Now a fulani man is the acting CJN. Why is it difficult for people to alight the future od Buhari's administration.
Nigeria is going through a time where Christianity would be reduced, maimed by all necessity.
I pray we survive till 2023.
Are you a christian
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by CoolAmbience(m): 9:14am On Jan 26, 2019
DMerciful:
It's not about going back, he doesn't have the powers to do so in the first place so it's null and void

Oya, go and carry Onnoghen in your shoulders and return him to the office since he is your father.....

2 Likes

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by CoolAmbience(m): 9:16am On Jan 26, 2019
Pat4321:

And Buhari your father, is a terrorist, corrupted, evil, hateful, satanic agent , demonic looter, looting NNPC. Oh my GOD help Buhari to destroy and bury Nigeria. ,

This one well so?

1 Like

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Carmal90(m): 9:18am On Jan 26, 2019
goodlifehyd:
Why did buhari think he is the only clean man? Though we know he is the most corrupt inclined president we ever had.
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Dave4242: 9:26am On Jan 26, 2019
KingGBsky:

Your choice men
Yea certainly!
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Abu4shizo: 9:27am On Jan 26, 2019
Said Baba is a Doing Man.
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 26, 2019
Same people who ruined this country and looted it dry for good 16 years and some people who have openly come out to clamour for the disintegration, destruction of this country (jungle) they call it are now defending a very corrupt judge just because he is from their region.

I wish this President appoint the few credible legal officers in the country who will look critically into our constitution and fix all loopholes these criminals called Politicians are using to rape this country dry.

3 Likes

Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by Blakjewelry(m): 9:27am On Jan 26, 2019
NessaBoo:
The way all those corrupt clowns are exhausting their all on this matter in disguise of morality is just making me laff...running helter skelter trying to trigger a constitutional crisis because of a corrupt CJN that has clearly been doing their bidding.

Buhari can't tackle the kind of monumental corruption Nigeria has been eroded in, democratically!!

If possible the constitution should be suspended along with the CJN sef angry
so now you are telling me it is OK if the PDP senator and saraki decides to impeach the president because of this action as he just trampled on the constitution, so if they decided to impeach without due process you will be OK with it right?
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by eodavids(m): 9:38am On Jan 26, 2019
Ebullience:
Until Saturday, January 11, 2019, not many Nigerians would have heard of the name Anti-Corruption And Research-Based Data Initiative (ARDI).

It was on that day that the news broke of the petition filed by the civil rights group against the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN),Justice Walter Onnoghen, at the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) alleging that he owns ” sundry accounts primarily funded through cash deposits made by himself up to as recently as 10th August 2016, which appear to have been run in a manner inconsistent with financial transparency and the code of conduct for public officials.”

It said Onnoghen did not declare the accounts as required by law.

That petition is now threatening to consume Onnoghen, who was sent on suspension yesterday by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The ARDI petition, dated January 7, 2019, was received two days later by the CCB, according to online publication, TheCable, which broke the news.

Things moved in quick succession with the Federal Government filing a six-count charge against him for alleged failure to declare some of his assets, including about $3million.

The $3million is said to be lodged in five accounts.

The domiciliary and Naira accounts in the Standard Chartered Bank are coded as USD account No. 870001062650; Euro account No. 93001062686; Pound Sterling A/CNo. 285001062679; e-Saver Savings (Naira) account No. 5001062693; and a Naira A/C No. 010001062667.

The charge sheet is dated January 10 and was filed on January 11.

A CCB investigator, Mr. James Akpala, said in an affidavit in support of the charges against Onnoghen, that the filing of the case stemmed from a petition against the CJN.

Akpala was silent on the name of the petitioners.

He merely said: “I know as a fact that the Head Office of the Bureau received a petition alleging that the CJN failed to declare his assets according to the law.”

ARDI describes itself as “a whistleblower and an Anti-Corruption Awareness disseminator, whose effort is to strengthen our democracy and ensure transparent, accountable and responsive governance devoid of corruption for our society.”

The civil society group said its petition was necessitated by “the imminence of the 2019 General Elections and the overwhelming roles of the Judicial Arm both before and after.”

It claimed that Onnoghen owns “sundry accounts primarily funded through cash deposits made by himself up to as recently as 10th August 2016, which appear to have been run in a manner inconsistent with financial transparency and the code of conduct for public officials.”

It alleged that Onnoghen made five cash deposits of $10,000 each on March 8, 2011 into Standard Chartered Bank Account 1062650; two separate cash deposits of $5000 each and four deposits of $10,000 each on June 7, 2011.

Five similar cash deposits of $10,000 followed on June 27, 2011, and another four deposits of $10,000 each the following day.

Onnoghen, according to the petition, failed to declare his assets immediately after taking office, contrary to section 15 (1) of Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act; and that he did not comply with the constitutional requirement for public servants to declare their assets every four years during their career.

It added that the CJN appeared “to have suppressed or otherwise concealed the existence of these multiple domiciliary accounts owned by him, as well as the substantial cash balances in them.”

It said the CJN’s financial transactions appeared suspicious and not justifiable by his lawful remuneration at all material times.

Detectives investigating the finances of the suspended CJN last weekend turned their attention to his salary account.

Sources said they may have unearthed evidence that the salary account laid untouched in the bank for 18 months at a stretch.

http://thenationonlineng.net/onnoghens-trouble-started-2/

This Justice Tanko, how clean is he??

Can we see the papersmof his asset declaration?

Is justice Tanko operating a single account

The fact we all know is that all the justices in Nigeria have registered company(ies) which are registered and run by others on their behalf. It won't be easy to find a Justice without a business registered and run on their behalf.

Justice Onoghen has just been treated as a guilty person even while he ought to benefit from the rule of presumption of innocence.

I need to be convinced that justice Tanko has only his salary as his source of earning. Else I will conclude that once again, Onoghen is suffering the normal SOUTHERN DILEMA
Re: How Onnoghen’s Trouble Started by iyatrustee(f): 9:39am On Jan 26, 2019
goodlifehyd:

Thanks, this is educative.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ekpeno Gold Kneels To Propose To His Girlfriend On Val Day (Photos) / Six New States Coming Soon - National Assembly / Dangote, Bono, Waje, Halima Dangote Meet VP Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.