Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,212 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. (9404 Views)

Is This Fee Not Outrageous? (UNICAL Med Lab 4th Year) / Kendra Jumbo: First Class ABSU Med. Lab. Science Best Graduating Student (Photos / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by KINGJAJA888(m): 1:06am On Jan 27, 2019
Good day house. My uncle is a practicing radiographer and has vowed to force me into studying the course. But I will rather prefer med lab to radiography and have suggested this to him since both are health related courses. PLs which of these two courses is most suitable in terms of employment opportunities and finances. Thank u
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Pyrusdrago(m): 2:35am On Jan 27, 2019
You really should listen to your uncle
I’ll give u a few instances to why you should take his advise.
Radiography and Med lab both involves running a test on a person( in simple terms)
With Medical radiography job after school is more assured than the later due to lack of more trained radiographers in Nigeria.

The benefits of going for Rad from my experience at this age in Nigeria are ;
1. During my studies I was blessed to travel to different states (27 intotal) for posting, exposed in Federal hospitals (This is arranged by your department in school immediately after semester break, North was my favorite due to handon on upto date machines). You start from ur 200L.

2. Ones u’ve completed your study which is usually 5yrs. You enrolled in a compulsory 1yr internship b4 NYSC in any Federal hospitals (with a take home incentive btw 115-120k monthly. bear in mind ure just and intern) Med lab also undergo this but Rad paycheque tops (ask your uncle)

3. No much competition in getting admission into university, students enrollment ain’t much, this is due to unawareness when making choices on which branche of medicine to go for.
And another thing is, they’re so many Med lab scientists in Nigeria without jobs due to the exodus of graduates in the field. I give you a case study; during my time after my graduation I proceed to apply for internship program in Enugu teaching hospital the highest number of Med lab applying was mind blogging, up to 800 applicants ( not exaggerating ) but Rad didn’t even make up to a 100.

My point is you can still read Med lab it’s a nice course but you have to queue up in line except you have someone wit a magic wand beside u n don’t forget microbiologist also fighting for the same position in hospitals

Why not go digital wit radiography, you’ll be expose to machines like MRI, ultrasound, CT scan n taught on how to use radiations, sounds, n magnet to visualize the human inner body in diagnosing diff diseases. Sounds fun right?...better still take a tour to a Diagnostic center or have your uncle give u a private tour..this will help you make better judgment.

5 Likes

Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by KINGJAJA888(m): 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2019
Pyrusdrago:
You really should listen to your uncle
I’ll give u a few instances to why you should take his advise.
Radiography and Med lab both involves running a test on a person( in simple terms)
With Medical radiography job after school is more assured than the later due to lack of more trained radiographers in Nigeria.

The benefits of going for Rad from my experience at this age in Nigeria are ;
1. During my studies I was blessed to travel to different states (27 intotal) for posting, exposed in Federal hospitals (This is arranged by your department in school immediately after semester break, North was my favorite due to handon on upto date machines). You start from ur 200L.

2. Ones u’ve completed your study which is usually 5yrs. You enrolled in a compulsory 1yr internship b4 NYSC in any Federal hospitals (with a take home incentive btw 115-120k monthly. bear in mind ure just and intern) Med lab also undergo this but Rad paycheque tops (ask your uncle)

3. No much competition in getting admission into university, students enrollment ain’t much, this is due to unawareness when making choices on which branche of medicine to go for.
And another thing is, they’re so many Med lab scientists in Nigeria without jobs due to the exodus of graduates in the field. I give you a case study; during my time after my graduation I proceed to apply for internship program in Enugu teaching hospital the highest number of Med lab applying was mind blogging, up to 800 applicants ( not exaggerating ) but Rad didn’t even make up to a 100.

My point is you can still read Med lab it’s a nice course but you have to queue up in line except you have someone wit a magic wand beside u n don’t forget microbiologist also fighting for the same position in hospitals

Why not go digital wit radiography, you’ll be expose to machines like MRI, ultrasound, CT scan n taught on how to use radiations, sounds, n magnet to visualize the human inner body in diagnosing diff diseases. Sounds fun right?...better still take a tour to a Diagnostic center or have your uncle give u a private tour..this will help you make better judgment.

Hmmm. I LOVE U SIR FOR UR AWESOME ADVICE AND INFO. TRUTH BE TOLD I Didn't know the course was dis broad and diverse. Actually he's doing well as a practicing radiographer in Lagos and since I'm living with him, he feels the need to initiate grin me into his profession. But I've always loved med lab scientists. Guess I will have a change of heart due to ur dueful and thinkable advice. ALso want to know if u're a practicing radiographer and would love u to coach me with helpful guidelines. THANKS. smiley
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by geeftiieee: 12:13pm On Jan 27, 2019
Drop this question on www.studentvillage.one

You will get lots of answered from Professionals and Consultants there
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by KINGJAJA888(m): 12:28pm On Jan 27, 2019
geeftiieee:
Drop this question on www.studentvillage.one

You will get lots of answered from Professionals and Consultants there
THANKS SIR I APPRECIATE.
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Pyrusdrago(m): 12:43pm On Jan 27, 2019
KINGJAJA888:

Hmmm. I LOVE U SIR FOR UR AWESOME ADVICE AND INFO. TRUTH BE TOLD I Didn't know the course was dis broad and diverse. Actually he's doing well as a practicing radiographer in Lagos and since I'm living with him, he feels the need to initiate grin me into his profession. But I've always loved med lab scientists. Guess I will have a change of heart due to ur dueful and thinkable advice. ALso want to know if u're a practicing radiographer and would love u to coach me with helpful guidelines. THANKS. smiley

You’re welcome
I practice with the University of Uyo teaching hospital. Lagos is cool as the practice is evrywer both government n private set up...so you can’t be found wanting there.
I’ve got lost of colleagues working in Lagos, some have move abroad now cuz it easy ( which am also thinking of wink ).

I specialize in CT n MRI , ultrasound is very tedious as u Av to be upto date wit the investigations on diff pathology n illnesses (North is a good place for such exposure)

You will enjoy the profession , it’s a digital age in Nigeria as analogy equipments are now obsolete.

You are of n advantage cuz u have someone in the family doing this, get close to him(your uncle). He will give you step by step way up the ladder n plus you’re be much sound than you colleagues after graduation.
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by KINGJAJA888(m): 8:47am On Jan 28, 2019
Pyrusdrago:

You’re welcome
I practice with the University of Uyo teaching hospital. Lagos is cool as the practice is evrywer both government n private set up...so you can’t be found wanting there.
I’ve got lost of colleagues working in Lagos, some have move abroad now cuz it easy ( which am also thinking of wink ).

I specialize in CT n MRI , ultrasound is very tedious as u Av to be upto date wit the investigations on diff pathology n illnesses (North is a good place for such exposure)

You will enjoy the profession , it’s a digital age in Nigeria as analogy equipments are now obsolete.

You are of n advantage cuz u have someone in the family doing this, get close to him(your uncle). He will give you step by step way up the ladder n plus you’re be much sound than you colleagues after graduation.
GOD BLESS U SIR.
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Captain6(m): 9:17am On Jan 28, 2019
Join Simplex Online UTME/SSCE Whatsapp tutorials today by registrating on www.simplextutorial.org ,we have qualified tutors to help teach you a lot of subjects namely:Maths,English,Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further maths,Geography,Economics, Government and Literature. We will also give you mock exams after the tutorials,and constant UTME,PUTME & Admissions update.
Our online tutorials starts on Monday 28 JANUARY
Time: 5pm-9pm.
Fee:#500 per subject (For a month)
Special Offer: 50% discount for first 10 registered students.

Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Jessydera: 10:03pm On Oct 19, 2019
Good day all. am a new member of this thread. I initially wanted to study medicine but due to my jamb score I had to change to a course under medical line. By d grace of God,when the school resumes next year, I will be a malabress (university of calabar)and I will be resuming wit dem in the department of radiography and radiological science. so my seniors I would like to really know 1 or 2 things about the course because not everyone like me know about what this profession entails. I would like to know : the years, the main subjects or courses I will encounter and after getting the degree what next.
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Oluwagreatness1(f): 10:28am On Dec 08, 2021
I'm also a new member of this tread.

Pls� What's the differences between Radiology and Radiography?? and which one is better?
Cos I'm kinda confused here.... pls help a sister
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by Oluwagreatness1(f): 10:30am On Dec 08, 2021

Pls� What's the differences between Radiology and Radiography?? and which one is better?
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by TheRealOwner(m): 1:13pm On Dec 08, 2021
Oluwagreatness1:

Watch YouTube videos on the 2
Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by tonyson010(m): 9:50am On Dec 12, 2021
Oluwagreatness1:

Radiology is the department for medical imaging found in hospitals. Just like saying pharmacy, dental, opthalmology, medical lab departments, O&G. Sometimes, it's is called units, which is not proper. NB: in these departments there are different groups of professionals working in them. Take for example in radiology department, u will see radiologist, radiographer, dark room technicians, medical physicist as the core workers.

Radiography is of a university course of which graduates from it are often called radiographers.

1 Like

Re: Studying Radiography Or Med Lab Which Is Better .. by sageb: 5:40pm On Dec 12, 2021
Pyrusdrago:

You’re welcome

University of Uyo Teaching hospital before Ikot Iman junction
Which set ?
Did you stay in NNDC Hs back then?

(1) (Reply)

The Grooviest University In Nigeria? / Merriam-webster Adds Photobomb, Town Hall To Dictionary / Universities That Give Admission Easily In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.