Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:10 PM

Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts (50385 Views)

Atiku Reacts To CJN Onnoghen's Petition in CCB / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed / Breaking: FG Asks CJN Onnoghen To Vacate Office Over Asset Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Akolawole(m): 2:56pm On Jan 27, 2019
naijapips04:
Onnoghen is not been tried on a criminal case.

1) No body is disputing how he got monies in his account,

2) The case is about a mere declaration of asset.

3)When in 2015 Osibanjo a mere judge in a,state declared almost $1 million in his bank account, how come nobody questioned how he got them?

1) Who told you that? How can a public office holder did not touch his salary account for 13 years? BABA Walter forgot to declare 3 million dollars even Dangote won't forgot 3 thousand dollars.

2) Mere! Kai, it is really mere

3) Osinbajo is NEVER a Judge. He is a successful lawyer with other business interests.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Akolawole(m): 3:02pm On Jan 27, 2019
neyobills:

Its not false declaration its total ommision and last time I checked the penalty for omnmision is to admit and update which he has done so in reality there is no case whatsoever, even CCT laws do not penalize for ommision.

Admit and just update. I hear you.
We are in trouble. He is the CJN
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Preciousgift90: 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
Any Body Condeming This CJN When He Hv Nt Being Tried And Convicted Guilty Is A Big Clown And Poverty Stricken Fool. I Kn Mere Lawyers That Are Crazily Rich Then How Much More Of A Man That Hv Successfully Pushed His Career Over The Years Up To CJN Level. How Do U Expect Such Man To Remain Poor. D Issue Is That He Forgot To Declare Them, Then Give Him Chance To Do So & Also Try Him Following Due Process Nd Punish Him If Guilty. Anything Outside This Are Abuse Of Power Nd Intimidation .Period. Mean while Integrity Is Not Synonimous To Poverty. I May Nt Be Too Rich But Hate Poverty Mentality That Says If Hes Rich, He's Corrupt.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Babacele: 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2019
crossfire:
Shut up ur smelling stinking mouth. Na only him dey thief buhari n I'm cabinet no b major thief.dey talk nonsense
go and ask CCT the only court with express power to try asset declaration cases in Nigeria( Onnoghen SC ,2013) why ,after Onnoghen had admitted he was guilty to CCT in his own writing, it carried out its constitutional responsibility, and consequently recommended to the President to suspend the ex-CJN so that he couldn't and shouldn't be presiding over a judiciary that would be trying his case that is still in court....go ahead and sue CCT .
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by neyobills: 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2019
Akolawole:

Admit and just update. I hear you.
We are in trouble. He is the CJN

Well that's what the law says and if u are not OK with it call for an amendment of the constitution.

Why the fuss about the 09 omission when he has duly declared in 2015 before he was CJN,doesn't make any sense.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Belleful: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2019
earthsync:
All those wailers will not see this one to talk about o
Mr Walter have been enjoying this democracy since 2005 wen he was appointed a Supreme Court judge. just look at d millions of dollars pounds and naira in his accounts and he would have made more with the cases that will come up after the fourth coming elections. this is whom they re calling Nigerians for to come and fight for, that our democracy is in danger. him and his family ve been enjoying the democracy so let him face the music alone.

3 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 27, 2019
ogbonti:

I am commenting on Buhari and the election regardless of the topic, I don't care

Then, your obsession with Buhari is a cause for worry!
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by ajayiopy: 4:48pm On Jan 27, 2019
Ray97:
A Bank Verification Number (BVN) search may have exposed more accounts linked to the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen.

Detectives are understood to have written three banks for details of the alleged accounts of the suspended CJN.

The banks are Standard Chartered Bank, Union Bank and Heritage Bank, according to a preliminary report on the activities of Onnoghen by the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) and other agencies.

The CJN is accused of false declaration of assets. A six-count charge has been filed against him.

Further investigation into Onnoghen’s accounts notwithstanding, the United States of America, the United Kingdom and the European Commission (EU) yesterday urged caution on the part of the federal government in its handling of his case.

The US called for due process to be followed in the matter while UK faulted the timing of the suspension.

Sources knowledgeable about the investigation of Onnoghen’s finances revealed to The Nation yesterday the turn-over in the alleged accounts of the CJN as follows:

USD account from October, 2012 to September, 2016 — $1,922,657.00
GBP (£) account from 2012 to September, 2016 — £138, 439.00
Euro account as at September 30, 2016 — €55,154.00
Naira account from September, 2005 to October, 2016 — N91, 962.362.49
A document sighted by The Nation correspondent states: “Upon receipt of the report, a preliminary investigation was conducted during which the following actions were carried out:

“A request was sent to the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) for a report on the suspect.

“A letter of investigation activities was sent to Standard Chartered Bank, Union Bank and Heritage Bank to provide the statements of accounts of the suspect;

“A BVN search through the NIBSS platform was conducted on the suspect and six (6) more accounts were found to be linked or connected to the suspect;

“The statements of accounts of the suspect were analyzed and further to that, a letter was written to Standard Chartered Bank requesting for additional information on suspicious activities in the account.”

There was anxiety yesterday over alleged restriction on the movement of Justice Onnoghen.

Security was tightened at the official quarters of the Justices of the Supreme Court.

Journalists were turned back from gaining access to the quarters in the three arms zone.

A reliable security source said: “Yes, the security around the quarters was enhanced but I doubt your insinuation of restriction of movement of the CJN.

“With the tension generated by the suspension of the CJN, security agencies are only taking pre-emptive action to prevent the judges from harm.”

There were also strong indications last night the battle over Onnoghen’s fate would shift to the court tomorrow.

A counsel in the defence team of the CJN said: “We will go to court to challenge the illegal suspension of His Lordship.

“We hope the Federal Government will respect any court order reinstating the CJN. Anything otherwise is a judicial anarchy.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/onnoghen-bvn-reveals-accounts/

CAN BVN ALSO SEARCH FOR THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE
1)TINUBU
2)BUHARI
3)OSHO BABA
4)ALL MEMBER OF PRESIDENCY

YOU CAN TELL ALL THESE RUBBISH TO MARINE.
YOUR CORRUPTION FIGHTING IS SELECTIVE
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by engrlarex(m): 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2019
Richdad50:
No northern CJN will ever go through this level of humiliation. Never! It would have been settled on Friday inside the Mosque after prayers. More so, the emirs would intervene and crush every dissenting voice within their sphere. This is one thing most Southern muslims and non-muslims do not understand and may never comprehend.

The North is strategic and never tarnish the image of the few brains they have alive. Never! Only the south pounces on the flesh yea demand the blood of their own to drink.

Nigeria will not move forward with sectionalism or nepotism but nepotism/sectionalism practiced across board will bring all to the table of rationality. Some folks will still not get this.

#Richdad

Bros Dasuki is son of former Sultan of Sokoto, the north did not prevailed on his behalf. Get ur facts right. Can u hear what the CJN was saying, he forgot to declare his assets and moreover he is not challenging the content of the case but rather challenging the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the case. He hurried suspended NJC sittings indefinitely, this fast track his suspension sef. You cannot be a judge in your own case.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Egalitarian1: 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2019
Even if the whole money in the world is lodged in the account of the embattled Chief Justice, we have a due process.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Richdad50(m): 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2019
Oh! Engr. Alex, the last of the few southern Dundee we have left.

#Richdad
engrlarex:

Bros Dasuki is son of former Sultan of Sokoto, the north did not prevailed on his behalf. Get ur facts right. Can u hear what the CJN was saying, he forgot to declare his assets and moreover he is not challenging the content of the case but rather challenging the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the case. He hurried suspended NJC sittings indefinitely, this fast track his suspension sef. You cannot be a judge in your own case.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Naruto87(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2019
ogbonti:

Please re-elect Buhari if you like, I care less..I live in America and I have a career which I have maintained for almost 20 years and I run a personal business part time and I teach in a University part time, my hands are fully and I am living life to the fullest. Whatever I say here is out of love for Nigeria, and not because i want to win a debate with an ignorant person.... so, if you guys wanna re-elect Buhari, na una sabi, it does not affect me earning my dollars .... God bless you, as you live with the consequences of your Buhari decision!

Living abroad and still being judgemental about a matter so far away. Between both of us who do you feel is ignorant? grow sense, u need am.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by engrlarex(m): 5:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
Ur condition is pitiable.

Go and sue the CCT if you can’t u can use 3rd mainland bridge to vent ur anger and frustration.
Richdad50:
Oh! Engr. Alex, the last of the few southern Dundee we have left.

#Richdad
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Richdad50(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2019
The Last Southern Dundee
engrlarex:
Ur condition is pitiable.

Go and sue the CCT if you can’t u can use 3rd mainland bridge to vent ur anger and frustration.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by theoldpretender(m): 5:25pm On Jan 27, 2019
Rickyuzzy:
Its very funny that people are lashing out on only Buhari (he also acted stupidly) with so much vitriol when the real culprit is the CJN. A whole head of.the Judiciary. First of all, he didn't declare his assets beacuse obviously he can't describe this sources of wealth. No one screamed Blue murder on something that obvious. Secondly with an authoritarian move, he suspended a meeting that was meant to.act on the CCT's order to suspend him. That move alone is undemocratic, corrupt, selfish and an abuse of power from.a whole CJN because he was trying to delay Justice. No one lost their brains over that. The NBA who should have called him.out on this but they kept mute all because of Partisan politics.

No one brought the internet down. If he had done the right thing, will the Executive have to.step in? This is just Hypocrisy on Steriods!!

Let me tell you the rape of Democracy here, A CJN who has kept a whole body like the NJC hostage, A senate who should.be sitting to.delibrate on national, legislative and budget issues but left their jobs to campaign and also the President for foolishly unsurping the power of an independent body. The anger should be directed at all of them. We should learn to.stop making the same mistakes when we cherry pick with bias on who to call out cus of sentiments that will favour no one. Call all.of them the f*ck out!! Perioood!

This is the most sensible comment on the whole crisis I have seen in over a week...and I've seen many comments.

But you should know that the problem with Nigerians is that fighting corruption is only good when it can be used to bring down one's enemies,or when it favours your political party.The problem is most Nigerians don't see corruption as a threat...they see it as a friend indeed...fighting it only when it favours them to do so.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by worlexy(m): 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2019
maasoap:

So, Onnoggen should be freed
If that is what you can conclude from what I wrote, then you're solely responsible for your conclusion.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by adekolaelect(m): 5:40pm On Jan 27, 2019
naijapips04:
Onnoghen is not been tried on a criminal case. No body is disputing how he got monies in his account, if not you would have had EFCC and ICPC gruelling him.

The case is about a mere declaration of asset.

APC and their devilish croonies are trying to turn in around into a criminal case which it isn't.

When in 2015 Osibanjo a mere judge in a,state declared almost $1 million in his bank account, how come nobody questioned how he got them?

The CCT trial is not a corruption trial. But ask your judge why he didn't declare his
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by salford1: 5:44pm On Jan 27, 2019
Richdad50:
No northern CJN will ever go through this level of humiliation. Never! It would have been settled on Friday inside the Mosque after prayers. More so, the emirs would intervene and crush every dissenting voice within their sphere. This is one thing most Southern muslims and non-muslims do not understand and may never comprehend.

The North is strategic and never tarnish the image of the few brains they have alive. Never! Only the south pounces on the flesh yea demand the blood of their own to drink.

Nigeria will not move forward with sectionalism or nepotism but nepotism/sectionalism practiced across board will bring all to the table of rationality. Some folks will still not get this.

#Richdad
Was Dasuki..a northern prince not dragged in the mud..what is this one saying
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Friend01(m): 6:28pm On Jan 27, 2019
naijapips04:
Onnoghen is not been tried on a criminal case. No body is disputing how he got monies in his account, if not you would have had EFCC and ICPC gruelling him.

The case is about a mere declaration of asset.

APC and their devilish croonies are trying to turn in around into a criminal case which it isn't.

When in 2015 Osibanjo a mere judge in a,state declared almost $1 million in his bank account, how come nobody questioned how he got them?

The CCT trial is not a corruption trial.

Some of you here are just masquerading as social. intellectuals due to the likes on your quotes and you feel rightly so, that you have contributed something meaningful.
Do I really blame you.

But we can't forget the fact that Onnoghen himself gave a landmark judgement in 2015 that no appellant court has to powers to stay proceedings in matters concerning code of conduct trials yet, the same man is using the same court to stay proceeding and you people are lining up behind him because it involves Buhari whom you love to hate.

I am. wondering when will this country be called a country when we have so educated people acting like barbarians.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by arrestdarrester: 6:48pm On Jan 27, 2019
Yes, this is what APC is good at. You will soon here they saw bundles of the unprinted N5,000 notes in his soakaway
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by ogbonti: 9:03pm On Jan 27, 2019
BandAid:

Then, your obsession with Buhari is a cause for worry!

Yes. He is destroying my father land, and I have every right to accuse him, so shorrop there if you can't say anything sensible
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by tbaba1234: 7:15am On Jan 28, 2019
ifyalways:
If they truly had all these evidence against him why not follow the right and due process ?

What's the rush and media prosecution for

When does due process work in Nigeria?

We will spend years in court with no reasonable conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by douglaschukwu: 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2019
That's why he needs to answer and if found guilty let him serve the punishment, and the many of us who want to do like him will be deterred.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by crisycent: 12:48pm On Jan 28, 2019
stiles009:

He should, if found guilty. But was he found guilty by any court of law? Was he suppose to step aside for every allegations made against him ?

Onoghen should be given same treatment.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 28, 2019
neyobills:

Oh really but the CJN is a local charge and bail lawyer that doesn't have a law firm for private practice, so Onnoghen who has been a supreme court judge since 05 and probably been a judge before Osibanjo was ever a SAN can't justify his source of income? how convenient?

My friend, will you keep quiet?

Osinbajo won a case on behalf of Kano state for a failed pharmaceutical drug trial and he received a sizable percentage of the settlement paid, as his fees. Guess you never knew that among other successful victories as a SAN.

Hope you know that there are some positions in government in which you have to shed any other interest and aspire to ascend in your career?

If Onnoghen made his money from legitimate sources then he should have no fears of declaring his assets, for instance, if he was a savvy investor making money from stocks, why won't he be proud to display his earnings from his foray into stocks?

I don't blame you though because this generation of "anyway is a way money" can condescend to any depth to make money.

You have just shown the zenith of your intelligence, thanks for engaging in an online discussion, but I will advise you listen more than you comment.
Re: Onnoghen: BVN Reveals More Accounts by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 28, 2019
neyobills:

Oh really going by your narration a high priced practicing lawyer must definitely be richer than the current CJN who has also been a Supreme court judge in the Gambia,how convenient?

You want lawyers to be rich but judges adjudicating be miserly poor,is there any logic in your thinking index at all?

How old are you bro? No offence intended.

Judges are public officials, not private citizens like lawyers. Judges are civil servants whose monthly paycheck comes from the government, while lawyers bill their clients as much as they can.

Lawyers can suddenly become very rich if they land a rich client or juicy case. Judges can't unless they are bribed and it doesn't matter if they are the Chief justice of the entire Milky Way Galaxy. I hope you understand.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Soyinka Reacts To COVID-19 Lockdown: 'We Are Not In War Emergency' / U.S. Grants Asylum To Ohimai Amaize, Nigerian Journalist / Tinubu Speaks On 2023 Presidential Ambition, Tells APC Members What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.