Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:03 PM

Before You Choose Medicine! A Must Read - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Before You Choose Medicine! A Must Read (720 Views)

Principal Officers In The College Of Medicine, A.A.U, Ekpoma Suspended By S.I.T / Is Veterinary Medicine A Course Worth Studying In Nigeria? / Is Medicine A Good Course To Study In Nigeria?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Before You Choose Medicine! A Must Read by shollish(m): 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2019
It's that time of the year again and many secondary school leavers are applying for JAMB. Majority of the science students are bound to apply for Medicine and Surgery due to peer influence or parents advice and only about 10% or less end up been admitted,the rest are pushed into departments in faculty of agriculture, biosciences etc. Hence they are ignorant of other goldmine which exist also in the healthcare sector. So in this article, i want to quickly brush other areas of health sector you might like instead of joining the bandwagon of other students filling up for Medicine/Surgery which they might end up not getting.
PS:- If you feel strongly inclined to study Medicine/Dentistry, you can go ahead with your pursuit, I wish you luck. Others can take a ride with me, smiles.

*Radiography*
5 year professional course plus one year internship
deals with imaging techniques using X-rays, gamma rays, or similar radiation to view the internal form of an object.
To study this course, you have to be well grounded in physics. You will however pass through anatomy, biochemistry and physiology in your 2nd/3rd years.
They are few in number hence in high demand in the healthcare sector.
The radiographers we have in Nigeria cannot absorb all the vacancies available hence you find them working in two or more places. Job opportunities are in Private diagnostic centres, Federal Government Hospitals and Private hospitals.
The major con in this profession is the hazardous effect of the rays though is minimized by wearing protective coats.
*Accredited Schools* where you can study Radiography include BUK, UNIZIK, UNICAL, UNILAG, UDUS,UNIMAID,UNN.

*Medical Laboratory Science.*
It is a 5 years professional course plus one year internship.
You undergo courses like anatomy, biochemistry and physiology in your 2nd and 3rd year.
You have to be well grounded in chemistry and biology to study this course and be ready to do practicals throughout your stay in university and even beyond.
The course is quite lucrative although the competition from science lab technician, microbiologist, biochemists etc.
You get to work for diagnostic laboratories, federal government, hospitals and you can set up your laboratory centre with your license .
*Accredited Schools* where you can study Medical Laboratory Science include UNILAG, UNIZIK, ABUAD, BABCOCK, UNICAL, UNIBEN, AAU, BUK, EBSU, IGBINEDION, IMSU, MADONNA, NDU, UNIJOS, UNIMAID, UNN, UDUS, U.I,

*Pharmacy*
It is a 5 years professional course plus one year internship Except in Uniben where is it is 6 years.
You undergo courses like anatomy, biochemistry and physiology in your 2nd and 3rd year.
This course, you have to be well grounded in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Because there is pharmaceutical chemistry, drug-dose calculations, pharmacology and pharmaceutics.
The course is rewarding when you open your pharmacy or pharmaceutical company. You can also work for someone in his pharmacy, industry. You can also work in federal government hospitals and private hospitals, Research centres and as a medical representative for a drug company.
*Accredited Schools* where you can study pharmacy include OAU, U.I, UNILAG, UNN, UNIZIK, UNIBEN, UNIJOS, UNIUYO, UNIMAID, UDUS, ABU, DELSU, NDU, UNILORIN, UNIPORT, MADONNA, IGBINEDION, OOU.

*Physiotherapy*
Physiotherapy also known as Medical Rehabilitation involves the use of PHYSICAL resources to treat and rehabilitate patients. Physical resources such as heat, cold, laser, light (electro-magnetic waves), electric currrent, ultra-sound, water, wax, force, manipulation, touch, exercise etc.
The course is very practical and demanding. You have to be well grounded in science to study physiotherapy.

*Accredited Schools* where you can study Physiotherapy include BUK, BOWEN, UNIMAID, UNILAG, U.I, OAU, UNIBEN.

*Nursing*

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

As A Unilorin Fresher, You Need This Tips Inorder To Score 40 In The Cbt Test / Unilorin 2019/2020 Admission Status Checker / In Serious Need Of Help For My School Fees Before Depression Sets In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.