Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student (63292 Views)

Celebrating Eid In A Foreign Land: Nairalander Experience In North Cyprus / Living In Germany as a Tech-bro / How To Save Millions Of Naira As A Foreign Student In Europe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 1:59pm On Jan 29, 2019
lovelygurl:

shocked shocked

Well, I don't know the kind of Germans you met, but we're talking about the average German here. It's not about being unexposed, but being unwilling to learn. This is not a matter of 'I have been living here for years', I have been living here since the age of 11... for years as well. I will probably tell you more about Germany than Nigeria and can say the average German thinks Africa is a country, the ones who know otherwise can only mention one or two African countries, which are "South Africa" or "Ghana".
I think it also just depends on which country or state you are, truth is there aren't so many Africans here, compared to the states or Uk. I therefore can't really blame them, especially because of the way the media presents us

It is not about not being able to mention the name of Africa countries but about their level of awareness of Africa. I am sure there are lot of Africans that can't name half of all the African countries or even tell you the official language in most of the African countries.

When it comes to understanding the outside world two things matter most; level of education and exposure. Exposure comes with interaction and also traveling.

As it stands today Europeans are way ahead of the United States on those two fronts. I am not talking about quality of education but the proportion of the population that are educated.

When it comes to traveling the Europeans are ahead of everyone on that, given the ease of movement within Europe and the standard of living which makes it easy for them to pay for their travels and have the time to do so. Which is a very big issue in the states. Also the Erasmus program that allows young European students to travel offers them the opportunity to travel within Europe and meeting people from other continent.

Most European with high school diploma are aware that Africa is not a country. I repeat. Go into any high school in western European that I am sure in their general studies and history equivalent classes they were all taught about the conquest of Africa as a continent and how it was partitioned.

Please I have been here for God knows how long, have people in all level of their educational system. Like I said they may not be familiar with the different cultures among African countries but most of them do know that African is not a country.

Like I said in my previous post I guess you are rolling with the "wrong" set of people.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 29, 2019
naunasabi:

Please I have been here for God knows how long, have people in all level of their educational system. Like I said they may not be familiar with the different cultures among African countries but most of them do know that African is not a country.

Like I said in my previous post I guess you are rolling with the "wrong" set of people.

I think we should just agree to disagree. But you insisting you've been here for sooooo long is just ridiculous. I both visited Sekundarstufe 1 + 2 here. I've met both the educated and uneducated. Your experience isn't mine

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by deebrownneymar: 4:12pm On Jan 29, 2019
inspiration101:
With a Masters Degree from a German university, Kester Audu could have stayed put in the European country, like many of his contemporaries are wont to do, but he chose to return home, albeit under a programme jointly implemented by the Centre for International Migration (CIM) GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency of Germany. He speaks with Dorcas Egede on the attraction and challenges of living and studying abroad, and why he chose to return.

Unlike many young Nigerians who travel abroad to escape the hardship in their country, Kester Audu, a graduate of Industrial Chemistry from the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State, took the decision to go do his masters degree in Germany, more out of curiosity, and “to see what obtains on the other side of life.” And so to Germany, he headed after his compulsory one-year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

True to his expectation, he did see what obtains on the other side of life. Starting from the minute he stepped foot at the airport in Frankfurt, Audu realised the reason for the strong pull on young people to go abroad. “I’ve never been so burdened for Nigeria as the first time I stepped foot in Frankfurt airport. That was my first time of actually travelling outside Africa. I was amazed that human beings could build what I saw there. And for me, it became like a challenge, that if humans could build the kind of airport I saw in Frankfurt, it means we’re sleeping in Africa.” He said.

Having been admitted into Brandenburg Technical University (BTU), Cottbus, Germany to study Environment and Resource Management, Audu soon discovered that achieving academic excellence abroad wasn’t so much a herculean task as in Nigeria. “I was able to finish my programme in a record time of about 14 months. One thing that helped me achieve that was the kind of training I had received in my Nigeria school. Unlike back home, here your lectures are flexible, you have teachers who interact with you on a personal note, you have enough time to do research works and of ctextbooks of text books at your disposal.”

The challenges

Audu decided on the Diary of an international student “because of what happens to us Africans when we travel abroad. Many people feel that once they cross the border, they automatically make it in life.” But then, how realistic is this expectation considering the challenges international students face?

While Audu admits that international students grapple with economic challenges amidst other challenges, he strongly believes that the challenges they face are more social than economic. “Most times the challenges foreign students face abroad is more social. For instance, by the time you leave here to Europe or America for your master's degree, you’re already gone past the age of students in a masters degree class because you’ve spent a lot of time working to save up to travel. Anyway, age is just in the numbers, as they say, but of course, you know that at that age, there are also a lot of things that begin to impact on what you want to do.”

Now, you’re probably married and have kids or aged parents who probably cleared their life’s savings to make your dream to study abroad come true; maybe you even loaned the money to study abroad. Whatever the case, Audu says these things add up in no small way to the burden of international students. “Your counterparts in Europe, America and even China, don’t face that kind of pressure. And these impact on your quality of life and global competitiveness in the long run.”

Another social challenge which Audu observed foreign students face is in association. “When you travel abroad, the first set of people you meet shape your mentality, they shape how you see the society.”

He was fortunate to meet people who nudged him towards starting early to achieve his set goals. However, not every international student is as fortunate as Audu; some of them have first contacts who wrongly colour their impression. “When you meet a black person on the way, you definitely want to associate, so those people come to you and begin to tell you things about society. Things like it’s hard. You will need to get your residency. You will need to get your citizenship. You have to marry a white. You have to birth a child in society. What now happens is that, instead of our students looking to acquire the knowledge, skills and network to make them relevant, they begin a rat race for survival. This is why you can have a PhD student who has been doing his program for about five or six years; a master's students who have finished one master's program and after three years, go back to do another one, not because he’s truly seeking for knowledge, but because he wants to extend his stay in the society.”

Strategy is key

Audu is therefore of the opinion that those who seek to go abroad, either for work or study or as permanent residents, must have a strategy. “Many people travel without a plan, so when they get there, they get stuck, and it takes a lot of time, meaningful years of their lives before they find some kind of headway.”

“I was able to do some kind of humanitarian work in Berlin; attended a lot of conferences, where I met people to improve my network. I acquired some very good skills set and became knowledgeable in the issue of sustainability that helps me look at the problem as a whole and not just in part, like many of us do. That is why we have researchers who have had breakthroughs in their researches, but don’t have the skill to communicate these breakthroughs to policy makers. They don’t even understand how policy makers think to be able to adopt that research and use it for the benefit of society.”

He also thinks “The excitement and expectation of people going abroad have to be put in check. Yes, the environment is better off, if you want to compare it to what we have in Africa, but it’s not a walk in the park.”

Migration malady

Asked what he thinks is responsible for the inordinate desire of young people to go abroad despite sad tales of migrants drowning in the Mediterranean and slavery in Libya, Audu said, “First of all, the issue of migration is not just in part; drowning in the Mediterranean Sea is only part of the story. Let me tell you some facts about migration that can put this in perspective, it. Currently, in the world, there are 258million migrants. In 2000 we had about 173m and in 2018 alone, it has risen to 258m.”

According to Audu, “One out of any 30 persons is a migrant, 48% of migrants are women and out of this 258m, 50m are children.” He said that one fact about migration that most international media don’t talk about is that most migrants move through safe and legal means.

Continuing, he added: “Migration should be an engine for economic growth and entrepreneurship, anywhere. In 2017 alone, migrants spent approximately $450m in remittances to developed countries. Now, this is three times the amount spent globally on development aid.”

Noting that a huge sum of migrants’ earnings is pumped into their host countries’ economies, Audu said, “Migrants spend 85% of their earnings in their host countries, so it’s the other 15% that they try to send back home.”

Audu said people migrate because “they are looking for better opportunities.” He however strongly believes that if Nigerians had access to basic amenities to make them comfortable in their country, they won’t need to go anywhere. “It was shocking to me when I got to Germany and realized that many people there see Africa as a country. They don’t know much about us. What does that tell you? It’s possible for child to be born in Germany and hasn’t visited more than four or five countries. What this portends is that where people find opportunities, fulfilment, and full expression of their liberties and rights, they may not have any cause to leave those places.

“So, when you see young people on this side of Africa, who, maybe because they cannot afford to go through legal means like going to school and stuff like that, want to go abroad by all means, just know that they must have perceived their socio-economic conditions as very bad.

“I say ‘perceived’ because it’s not like going through the illegal means is cheap. Many of them have savings, but they just feel that the return on their investment will be higher if they find themselves on other shores.”

Audu attributes this belief to misinformation. “The media, what we see in the movies. Many people don’t know that there are beggars on the streets of New York, or that there are homeless people in Europe. Movies will not actually show you all that, but the fine cars and houses, and the colourful ambience.”

One-sided narrative

But Audu believes that the migration story is not told in a balanced manner. It is told in such a way that makes it look as if migrants cost their host countries a fortune, but they fail to talk about how robust their economies become because of migrants. “If you’re telling us about the remittances to developing countries, also tell us what goes out to developed countries because of migrants’ activities. For instance, the German policy requires that the student who wants to study there would have to have at least 8,000 Euros opened in a German account. So, imagine you have 500 students who leave Nigeria to study in Germany. Multiply 500 by 8,000 Euros, you know how much that is into their economy.”

What the international community is doing

“For me, another thing that strengthened my resolve to return home, which is something for which I really give credit to the German government, is that, as part of their plans towards solving some of these migration issues, they created a platform such that after you’ve studied and trained in Germany, if you choose to go back home, wherever you find yourself or whatever you want to do, they will give you certain kind of support for some period of time.

“Now, imagine if other countries adopted that kind of strategy. Those of us who chose to return on the platform provided by the German government were few at first, but now the network has grown and we are close to 30 already.

“The United Nations is talking about what they call the global pact for safe, orderly and regular migration. That is the new agenda of the UN and it has clear objectives to make migration safe and regular, to address the concerns the of the government and to reinforce national sovereignties, to recognise the vulnerabilities faced by migrants who travel through these irregular means, to make known the benefits of migrants to their host countries.”

What our government can do

To solve migration problems, Audu says the government can do a lot. “With our growing population, we have to create jobs. The government has to engage the teeming youthful population and we have to throw open the manufacturing space. We can’t make jokes about manufacturing.

“Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for automobiles, yet how many cars do we manufacture? The manufacturing sector is a sector that can absorb people in numbers.

“We have to develop vocational skills. Our graduates are not even well groomed for the labour market. So, vocational skill isn’t something we should take lightly.

“Another thing we must take seriously is agriculture. Soon, the world will begin to look to Africa for food security. We have the land, the weather, the human capital. So, what the government needs to do is take care of basic things such as power, job creation, etc. and once people are engaged, they begin to find fulfilment. At least, they have the ability to feed and shelter themselves, just the basic necessities of life.

“The health sector must be revamped. If someone is sick he should be able to have health insurance that helps him. This is why people don’t want to return home because those basic things are catered for abroad. This is why a Nigerian will do anything to be the citizen of another country. This is why you have a lot of elites and the middle-class wanting to have their children abroad. Once those things are fixed, I’m telling you, you won’t have people thronging abroad the way to they do.”

According to the young man, the government needs to brace up. They need to set up policies that make things work. They need to strengthen ties with our diasporas and tap into that network. They need to strengthen policies, health care policies, set up educational policies that achieve four important things, namely: (1) make us know more about ourselves, our family, background, history of our country and continent. Many of us don’t even know where we are from. (2) Help us study our environment, economically, politically, socially, geographically. (3) Help us identify our problems and (4) we have to develop an educational system that will help individuals to solve these problems that have been identified, because that is one thing we are lacking. We know the problems, but many lack those critical problem solving skills.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/experience-germany-foreign-student/

Please is it true that education is free in Germany?

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 5:05pm On Jan 29, 2019
lovelygurl:

I think we should just agree to disagree. But you insisting you've been here for sooooo long is just ridiculous. I both visited Sekundarstufe 1 + 2 here. I've met both the educated and uneducated. Your experience isn't mine

So are saying the experience of someone born Nigeria isn't going to different from someone visiting? The number of years you live in a place to an extend impact on how much you know about the community.

Yes I agree our experiences are different. If I may ask what do you do? Because this may actually be an indication of the point of divergent of our experiences.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2019
naunasabi:

So are saying the experience of someone born Nigeria isn't going to different from someone visiting? The number of years you live in a place to an extend impact on how much you know about the community.

Yes I agree our experiences are different. If I may ask what do you do? Because this may actually be an indication of the point of divergent of our experiences.

Ok, I didn't want to argue with you at first because I was being to lazy to write long epistles.

1) You mentioned in your previous post that a lot of Germans often travel to Africa etc. That's simply wrong and absolutely not true. The two most visited countries in Africa by Germans are South Africa and Morocco.
In 2017 only about 350.000 Germans visted South Africa. Germany has a population of ca. EIGHTY MILLION!

2) Then you mentioned education has a lot to do with it. Yes, it does. But how many people in Germany do their Abitur? How many go to uni? My Stufenkameraden and I were 200 when we started class 5, now in class 13 we are just 18!
The ABITURient.....en..quote (I don't want to get banned) bzw. Studien...berechtigten...quote is just 47.9%!

And then you continue blabbing on how long I've lived here and blablabla. I have lived for a veeeeery long time as well. I'm not someone visiting, not someone going away. Do I have to now send a picture of German passport as well? Germany is all I know, Germany is home. So do not try to act as if it's not the same country we're in.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by TMKsouth: 1:02am On Jan 30, 2019
lovelygurl:

I will probably tell you more about Germany than Nigeria and can say the average German thinks Africa is a country, the ones who know otherwise can only mention one or two African countries, which are "South Africa" or "Ghana".

This one tragic point of yours has undermined your entire argument. You are not qualified for this level of discussion.

I'm pretty sure the average German has a keener interest in Namibia and Tanzania instead. They did colonise them after all - and commited a genocide in Namibia. This bit of history haunts the Germans to this day still, with court cases ensuing for reparations from the African side.

I can't figure out why Ghana was mentioned. Still scratching my head.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 6:21am On Jan 30, 2019
lovelygurl:

Ok, I didn't want to argue with you at first because I was being to lazy to write long epistles.

1) You mentioned in your previous post that a lot of Germans often travel to Africa etc. That's simply wrong and absolutely not true. The two most visited countries in Africa by Germans are South Africa and Morocco.
In 2017 only about 350.000 Germans visted South Africa. Germany has a population of ca. EIGHTY MILLION!

2) Then you mentioned education has a lot to do with it. Yes, it does. But how many people in Germany do their Abitur? How many go to uni? My Stufenkameraden and I were 200 when we started class 5, now in class 13 we are just 18!
The ABITURient.....en..quote (I don't want to get banned) bzw. Studien...berechtigten...quote is just 47.9%!

And then you continue blabbing on how long I've lived here and blablabla. I have lived for a veeeeery long time as well. I'm not someone visiting, not someone going away. Do I have to now send a picture of German passport as well? Germany is all I know, Germany is home. So do not try to act as if it's not the same country we're in.

First I admire your response, I must admit they were well thought out. But did you see why I asked what you do? I know there is somewhere in-between where our experiences differ, which led to different opinions. I can see that you are basing your opinion on the bulk of youngsters you interacted with who are mostly in secondary school. Also couple with your experiences with through basic school to primary up to secondary.

And judging the awareness of a country based on the knowledge base of young people mostly still in primary/secondary school will always in our case over estimate the problem. In my case judging mostly by my interactions with people in college and those with post graduate diploma will under estimate the problem. The bottom line is that the problem is not as bad as you guys are painting it. Western Europeans on the average have a fair knowledge of the world outside Europe thanks to their educational system.

350k visiting SA in 2017 implies that SA is the most visited that does not mean that there are no German tourist visiting other African countries. By implication putting those numbers together we may get closer to half a million mark in a year. Then add researchers and people visiting for businesses that will also go higher. Then do this year in year out and see the effect on the knowledge base ( though we have to take into account that most of the travelers are repeat travelers).

To point something out we may agree to disagree, the truth remains that until there is a hard fact backed by a study designed to answer this question, our experiences will always color our opinion to a large extent.

Just out of curiosity through out your schooling in Germany there have never been any instance where countries in Africa were discussed? Not like a formal discussion but mentioned passively? In all the school you went through there is never anywhere in the building with a detailed map of the world hanging ? Secondly what part of Germany are you based because the drop rate in your class seem high? I admit that the number going to college after high school isn't impressive as well.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 30, 2019
naunasabi:

The bottom line is that the problem is not as bad as you guys are painting it. Western Europeans on the average have a fair knowledge of the world outside Europe thanks to their educational system.

Then add researchers and people visiting for businesses that will also go higher. Then do this year in year out and see the effect on the knowledge base ( though we have to take into account that most of the travelers are repeat travelers).

Just out of curiosity through out your schooling in Germany there have never been any instance where countries in Africa were discussed? Not like a formal discussion but mentioned passively? In all the school you went through there is never anywhere in the building with a detailed map of the world hanging ?

Secondly what part of Germany are you based because the drop rate in your class seem high? I admit that the number going to college after high school isn't impressive as well.

1) I'm pretty aware of the fact that this is true, but it doesn't change the fact that it IS a problem. Although, sometimes I have to be honest, I don't know if I should even blame them or just educate them. I mean, it is somehow understandable because of there are more immigrants far from Asia: Syria, Turkey etc than Africa and how the media displays us.
It's not uncommon to hear stuffs like "Brazil, Deutschland, Afrika und andere Laender" or "Sprichst du Afrikanisch?", which is why I said in the beginning that it bows down to their unwillingness to learn. When I try to educate them on that aspect it's "Jaaaaa, you know what I mean"
Uhn? Nope

2) I am definitely sure the numbers are less than 2 million, compared to the ca. 80 million population, it is extremely low. (Sorry, I can't help it but YOU said they visit African countries a lot grin grin grin)

3) Oh, it's being discussed, but if you studied here you'll know how it's being discussed. We didn't really talk about African countries, but Africa as a whole being exploited. We focussed more on the role of America and Britain during slavery, rather than what they did during slavery. I'm not even sure if most actually know what role they played during slavery. They tend to focus on the Nazi regime. (I thought it was only a German thing, but in the book "Why I no longer talk to white people about race by Reni Eddo-Lodge, she actually called the English out for not really focussing on their role during slavery as well grin)
And of course there's a map in schools, but just based on the questions you're asking, I guess you didn't start school here from the scratch, but probably with uni. (Talk about going through ALL institutions. I can even remember a post you made about studying in the Netherlands. I remember because I started googling on studying there, since I really loved Amsterdam, makes ME wonder if you even schooled here at all)

4) Rhineland Pfalz, but I beg to differ the drop rate is normal. Most students stop at class 10 because most opt for an Ausbildung rather than Abitur. We weren't many to begin with, which is why it seens so drastically low. I'm sure more students will do their Abi in NRW, but compared to how many they started with, the numbers are absolutely ridiculous and it just actually started getting better. At least now we can say almost 50% of German students opt for uni (excluding those who will drop out). It doesn't change the fact that it's just ca. 50%. (At least you admitted the number isn't impressive, I thought you were going to argue with Wikipedia, stating it hasn't lived in Germany as long as you grin grin)

5) I already said what I did, you just didn't pick it up. I'm a student in class 13, getting my Abi in March. I even mentioned Sekundarstufe 2, leading me to my questions

When did you actually start school in Germany because based on the questions you're asking, it doesn't seem you've lived for yeeeeeeeears here grin grin. It doesn't even seem like you grew up with them. The few educated people you met does NOT represent the average German.

Jokes apart, I do understand where you're coming from, but I won't sit here and give them props/credit for sth. they don't deserve. Germany is a loooot of things, but extremely naive when it comes to Africa. The article stated "I was actually surprised a lot of them think Africa is a country", which I agreed on.

Then YOU stated, people with a higher level of education should know this is not true, which I agreed on, but only less than 50% of Germans HAVE a higher education. Embarrassing, but true.

Update: Can I ask you questions about tbe Netherlands though, that's if you don't mind...nuanasabi
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2019
lovelygurl:

1) I'm pretty aware of the fact that this is true, but it doesn't change the fact that it IS a problem. Although, sometimes I have to be honest, I don't know if I should even blame them or just educate them. I mean, it is somehow understandable because of there are more immigrants far from Asia: Syria, Turkey etc than Africa and how the media displays us.
It's not uncommon to hear stuffs like "Brazil, Deutschland, Afrika und andere Laender" or "Sprichst du Afrikanisch?", which is why I said in the beginning that it bows down to their unwillingness to learn. When I try to educate them on then aspect it's "Jaaaaa, you know what I mean"
Uhn? Nope

2) I am definitely sure the numbers are less than 2 million, compared to the ca. 80 million population, it is extremely low. (Sorry, I can't help it but YOU said they visit African countries a lot grin grin grin)

3) Oh, it's being discussed, but if you studied here you'll know how it's being discussed. We didn't really talk about African countries, but Africa as a whole being exploited. We focussed more on the role of America and Britain during slavery, rather than what they did during slavery. I'm not even sure if most actually know what role they played during slavery. They tend to focus on the Nazi regime. (I thought it was only a German thing, but in the book "Why I no longer talk to white people about race by Reni Eddo-Lodge, she actually called the English out for not realky focussing on theur role during slavery grin)
And of course there's a map in schools, but just based on the questions you're asking, I guess you didn't start school here from the scratch, but probably with uni. (Talk about going through ALL institutions. I can even remember a post you made about studying in the Netherlands. I remember because I started googling on studying there, since I really loved Amsterdam, makes ME wonder if you even schooled here at all)

4) Rhineland Pfalz, but I beg to differ the drop rate is normal. Most students stop at class 10 because most opt for an Ausbildung rather than Abitur. We weren't many to begin with, which is why it seens so drastically low. I'm sure more students will do their Abi jn NRW, but compared to how many they started with, the numbers are absolutely ridiculous and it just actually started getting better. At least now we can say almost 50% of German students opt for uni (excluding those who will drop out). It doesn't change the fact that it's just ca. 50%. (At least you admitted the number isn't impressive, I thought you were going to argue euth Wikipedia, stating it hasn't lived in Germany as long as you grin grin)

5) I already said what I did, you just didn't pick it up. I'm a student in class 13, getting my Abi in March. I even mentioned Sekundarstufe 2, leading me to my questions

When did you actually start school in Germany because based on the questions you're asking, it doesn't seem you've lived for yeeeeeeeears here grin grin. It doesn't even seen like you grew up with them. The few educated people you met does NOT represent the average German.

Jokes apart, I do understand where you're coming from, but I won't sit here and give them props/credit for sth. they don't deserve. Germany is a loooot of things, but extremely naive when it comes to Africa. The article stated "I was actually surprised a lot of them think Africa is a country", which I agreed on.

Then YOU stated, people with a higher level of education should know this is not true, which I agreed on, but only less than 50% of Germans HAVE a higher education. Embarrassing, but true.

Update: Can I ask you questions about tbe Netherlands though, that's if you don't mind...nuanasabi

You can ask questions about the Netherlands.

About the numbers traveling even at 800k every year just to Africa I am sure you understand the benefit to the society in the long run as regards their view of Africa? Those numbers if maintained are very impressive from a population of 80m giving the situation in Africa.( Story for another time).

I got that you are in class 13 which was why I said basing your opinion on mostly youngsters knowledge of Africa will extremely bias your position.

The reason I asked about what goes in within the walls of the school is simple. The pschy behind what is learnt in school are a combination of what is actively and passively taught. Of course most countries will never be open about their involvement in Africa for so many reasons. Nigeria our very own country has ruled out history in public schools so as to suppress the ugly past. Going into that will open a whole lot of other discussion.

Mind you referring to Africa has one and having a common heritage (which is not entirely correct) does not necessarily mean that they are referring to Africa as just one country. I have had this conversation in person with people before. I don't know why we always jump into that conclusion. Most times we hear what we want to hear.

Just to be sure we are giving our opinion on the same thing . How many people over 18 ever told you that Africa is a country or that Africans are one? Because these are two different issues. It seems you are addressing the latter while I am addressing the former.

Granted I did not have my formative years in German but as it stands today the population of German adults are more than the children within the school age you are referring to. Hence I may be talking of a bigger subset of the population than you are referring to.

Just aside the traditional college education may not be the only ticket to a better future. It used to be but not anymore. I understand why most people with African background are still hooked on the idea that that is the only way to a better life. ( A discussion for another time). For future references Wikipedia is not a trusted source.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by chiboy429(m): 9:30am On Jan 30, 2019
awelekiti:
Good. Look for any university offering scholarship on msc physics or any related course.. before you finish your programme, begin searching for job and learning German at the same time. But to qualify for a scholarship, you must have had a 2.1 in your first degree. I know at least 2 Nigerians who studied physics electronics from fut minna, who were awarded scholarship by 2 different German universities for their english-taught master's degree programmes. One came back to pick a lecturing job at one of the federal universities here while the other stayed back on a good job.

Thank you so much, I am on the search now online for schools offering msc scholarship for physics in Germany.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 30, 2019
naunasabi:

You can ask questions about the Netherlands.

About the numbers traveling even at 800k every year just to Africa I am sure you understand the benefit to the society in the long run as regards their view of Africa? Those numbers if maintained are very impressive from a population of 80m giving the situation in Africa.( Story for another time).

I got that you are in class 13 which was why I said basing your opinion on mostly youngsters knowledge of Africa will extremely bias your position.

Mind you referring to Africa has one and having a common heritage (which is not entirely correct) does not necessarily mean that they are referring to Africa as just one country. I have had this conversation in person with people before. I don't know why we always jump into that conclusion. Most times we hear what we want to hear.

Just to be sure we are giving our opinion on the same thing . How many people over 18 ever told you that Africa is a country or that Africans are one? Because these are two different issues. It seems you are addressing the latter while I am addressing the former.

Granted I did not have my formative years in German but as it stands today the population of German adults are more than the children within the school age you are referring to. Hence I may be talking of a bigger subset of the population than you are referring to.

Just aside the traditional college education may not be the only ticket to a better future. It used to be but not anymore. I understand why most people with African background are still hooked on the idea that that is the only way to a better life. ( A discussion for another time). For future references Wikipedia is not a trusted source.

Just based on the questions you were asking and even what you were saying, I knew there's no freaking way you could have had your formative years(this sounds fancy by the way grin) in Germany or else you'll know most students in class 13 are 19/20 or sometimes even 21. Not much above the age of 18, but that is not an excuse. Most students in class 13 now will be in uni in April or October, the fact that it's just a few months away isn't an excuse.

A 10 year old in Nigeria will never ask the question "Do you speak European?" There is no excuse for that, it's just DUMB!

Besides, you're just putting words into my mouth right now.
I never made a comment on the effects of Europeans in Africa. But that is indeed a story for another day. All I see are more disadvantages than advantages when it comes to that aspect. An exploitation of multinational companies taken to a whole different level. There's a popular quote people use when talking about this "Wir sind reich, weil Afrika arm ist". But like I said, that's a story for another day.

Your "of course it does not necessary mean they are referring to Africa as a whole" should be "of course it doesn't ALWAYS mean they are.....".
Some really do believe so and like I mentioned earlier (several times by the way), some are just unwilling to correct their STUPID mistakes. There's no excuse for being stupid, stupidity is not cute! When Buhari mentioned "The President of West Germany", it wasn't cute!
Yes, there had been a West Germany and DDR regime, but it no longer exists. So someone saying "Afrika ist ein armes LAND" is simply wrong. The education system fails them on that aspect. It's sth a person with a secondary school cert should know. Those are people who go after class 10, HALF of the population.

Besides, I never even stated university is the only ticket to a better futute. I was just quoting a fact that most Germans do not go to uni (Talking about jumping to conclusions and hearing what we just want to hear, uhn? grin grin grin).

Germany offers its citizens a looot of oppurtunities. It has 16 types of schools, just to support its youth. Going to uni here isn't about getting a better future, but because you can only become and have cartain jobs when you study. You can't be a Dr. without studying, you can't be a teacher without studying. If I can be what I want to without a bachelor degree, I'd definitely not study. So no need to tell me about "people with African backgrounds etc". I am pretty aware of that mentality, but it does not mean I support that mentality. A lot of my friends finished their Ausbildung last year and are already doing pretty well, so pleeeeeeease it's the African aunties you should educate on that aspect.

The only reason people claim Wikipedia can't be trusted is because anybody can edit it, however it's always controlled. You can try editing it yourself...I did grin I wrote rubbish grin but it was taken down in less than two minutes grin

It's the reason why you're supposed to quote correctly, with the date and time. (just saying, but if you had gone through ALL institutions in Germany, you'd know I should know that grin grin grin. Sorry loool, just love teasing people grin grin grin).

Well, I just thought this is Nairaland and not an essay I have to submit.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Speedyconnect15: 11:46am On Jan 30, 2019
RealityShot:
so if you are given N1mil you will not know what to do with it?

you must be a very LAZY YOUTH!

Big head.

Teach me naa
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Frankaka8(m): 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2019
awelekiti:
Good. Look for any university offering scholarship on msc physics or any related course.. before you finish your programme, begin searching for job and learning German at the same time. But to qualify for a scholarship, you must have had a 2.1 in your first degree. I know at least 2 Nigerians who studied physics electronics from fut minna, who were awarded scholarship by 2 different German universities for their english-taught master's degree programmes. One came back to pick a lecturing job at one of the federal universities here while the other stayed back on a good job.
pls may we know the name of the school?
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 1:27pm On Jan 30, 2019
lovelygurl:

Just based on the questions you were asking and even what you were saying, I knew there's no freaking way you could have had your formative years(this sounds fancy by the way grin) in Germany or else you'll know most students in class 13 are 19/20 or sometimes even 21. Not much above the age of 18, but that is not an excuse. Most students in class 13 now will be in uni in April or October, the fact that it's just a few months away isn't an excuse.

A 10 year old in Nigeria will never ask the question "Do you speak European?" There is no excuse for that, it's just DUMB!

Besides, you're just putting words into my mouth right now.
I never made a comment on the effects of Europeans in Africa. But that is indeed a story for another day. All I see are more disadvantages than advantages when it comes to that aspect. An exploitation of multinational companies taken to a whole different level. There's a popular quote people use when talking about this "Wir sind reich, weil Afrika arm ist". But like I said, that's a story for another day.

Your "of course it does not necessary mean they are referring to Africa as a whole" should be "of course it doesn't ALWAYS mean they are.....".
Some really do believe so and like I mentioned earlier (several times by the way), some are just unwilling to correct their STUPID mistakes. There's no excuse for being stupid, stupidity is not cute! When Buhari mentioned "The President of West Germany", it wasn't cute!
Yes, there had been a West Germany and DDR regime, but it no longer exists. So someone saying "Afrika ist ein armes LAND" is simply wrong. The education system fails them on that aspect. It's sth a person with a secondary school cert should know. Those are people who go after class 10, HALF of the population.

Besides, I never even stated university is the only ticket to a better futute. I was just quoting a fact that most Germans do not go to uni (Talking about jumping to conclusions and hearing what we just want to hear, uhn? grin grin grin).

Germany offers its citizens a looot of oppurtunities. It has 16 types of schools, just to support its youth. Going to uni here isn't about getting a better future, but because you can only become and have cartain jobs when you study. You can't be a Dr. without studying, you can't be a teacher without studying. If I can be what I want to without a bachelor degree, I'd definitely not study. So no need to tell me about "people with African backgrounds etc". I am pretty aware of that mentality, but it does not mean I support that mentality. A lot of my friends finished their Ausbildung last year and are already doing pretty well, so pleeeeeeease it's the African aunties you should educate on that aspect.

The only reason people claim Wikipedia can't be trusted is because anybody can edit it, however it's always controlled. You can try editing it yourself...I did grin I wrote rubbish grin but it was taken down in less than two minutes grin

It's the reason why you're supposed to quote correctly, with the date and time. (just saying, but if you had gone through ALL institutions in Germany, you'd know I should know that grin grin grin. Sorry loool, just love teasing people grin grin grin).

Well, I just thought this is Nairaland and not an essay I have to submit.

I understand your points and I agree with most of it. Let us not stray too far from the topic under consideration.

Asking if you speak Africa ( no matter how dumb you think it sounds, I don't think any questions is a dumb question) does not translate to saying that Africa is one country (unless I misinterpreted your position). I want us to agree on that. If you go back to how this conversation started you will noticed that the issue you and the op raised was that they think that Africa is a country which till this moment I do not agree it. Most Europeans do not think that Africa is a country.

They may be unable to tell that Africans don't speak same language or share same culture but saying that Africa is a country most of them of University age and above knows that Africa is not a country.

In you opinion how many percentage (ballpark figure) do you think that thinks that Africa is a country with the following age group.
Just a rough idea don't mind the unequal splitting of the age group
0-17
18-25
26-34
35 and above
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by dguyindcorner(m): 6:43pm On Jan 30, 2019
naunasabi:

I understand your points and I agree with most of it. Let us not stray too far from the topic under consideration.

Asking if you speak Africa ( no matter how dumb you think it sounds, I don't think any questions is a dumb question) does not translate to saying that Africa is one country (unless I misinterpreted your position). I want us to agree on that. If you go back to how this conversation started you will noticed that the issue you and the op raised was that they think that Africa is a country which till this moment I do not agree it. Most Europeans do not think that Africa is a country.

They may be unable to tell that Africans don't speak same language or share same culture but saying that Africa is a country most of them of University age and above knows that Africa is not a country.

In you opinion how many percentage (ballpark figure) do you think that thinks that Africa is a country with the following age group.
Just a rough idea don't mind the unequal splitting of the age group
0-17
18-25
26-34
35 and above

Abeg enough of these arguments jare. Make road clear for better info.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by naunasabi: 8:01pm On Jan 30, 2019
dguyindcorner:

Not argument but discussion. She raised good points and present her line of thoughts clearly, yeah I learnt from it. More especially during our exchanges I have also had to review the way I put my message across to people. etc.

Bro you can either learn from a discussion or argue with someone and learn nothing from it.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by RealityShot: 8:49pm On Jan 30, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

Big head.
Teach me naa
NO... SMALL HEAD!

go and wash oyibo toilet till you get sense!
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Adril2019: 5:42pm On Feb 05, 2019
Pls I will like to join ur network tank
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by OnyesomJ(m): 10:52pm On Feb 10, 2019
Nice, Our Government Don't Care about The Youth, This Coming Election We Shud Vote Wisely
Ain't You Guys Tired Of Recycling Old papas We Need Fresh Dude.
Tenx
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by fynman: 8:42am On Feb 11, 2019
There is racism there abi?, then what are you still doing there? why not come back here where there is no racism.
degamemaster:

Whoever that wrote this piece and you that I quoted are being intelligent by half.
FYI, I live in Germany and the truth is that, racism is real here and when you come in, realities will show yo the real way to follow.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Emperorwhales(m): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2019
I've been following this thread for quite a while ,and I really enjoy it up to dz moment because I've gained more than I think, I'm thinking of doing my master in Education research and technology but my question is there any hope for those that have their Master's in education line to secure a job after master either in the field or different Field I'll be glad if you can answer my question thanks...
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2019
If I hear?? Story that touch da ass
Jiang:

Whats the point of staying any longer than necessary, in fact I will make sure to book my flight the same day I collected my certificate. even if Na 10 kids I born for abroad I go still leave them come back home, they are free to visit me on holidays or vice versa.

live is way too short for me to abandon my roots back in Naija & be a foreigner in another country just because of green pasture.

Arewa 4eva jare, "Duk wanda ya bar gida, gida ya barsa" grin grin

No where be like Africa no where be like home grin
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2019
Thanks for being truthful.
Kkshanana90:
Viele dank, mein Freund! You've spoken well. After my first two months of study in Germany, I almost sued the Nigerian government for wasting a huge part of my productive years in the name of education.

Like you, I had thoughts of returning to Nigeria after some years in Deutschland. But I don't think I'll return immediately after my studies. If not for anything else, the horrible news I read daily on Nairaland and other major news platform would discourage anyone from coming home.

I wish you the best of luck in Nigeria. Tschüß!

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:17pm On Dec 27, 2019
Exactly
porka:
What is the essence of this interview now, ehn?

When will Africans stop going to Europe and America to marvel at buildings and edifices?

How is this man's acquired cerificate going to be of help to himself, family and country?

What was his major findings in his research that will benefit Africans apart from just talking about social challenges?

Did he just spend 14 months to study his fellow African's lifestyle? What is the usefulness of his paper certification now, ehn?

Where will you use this particular knowledge you just acquired? What is the relevance of the knowledge? How do you want to intervene?

It's high time people focussed on specific solutions they want to proffer with their education and play down the culture shock and mighty buildings tales.

It is not helping Africa.

The training you received is for a purpose. What is it? Definitely not to tell us how beautiful Frankfort airport is.

Ok, you have told us what you think government should do, how are they going to do it? Someone gave a similar advice before you and government has not listen, we've been hearing of this type government should do this and that since 1900 without anyone listening, is this one going to be different?

In specific terms, how is your knowledge going to affect the society positively? Now that you are here what are we to expect from you? Do you want to join the government? At what level: municipal, state or federal? Will it require a bill at the state or national level? What level of funding are you looking at? How do you raise it? Do you want to establish a business? What gap do want to fill? Can you do it alone?

Tell us what we have not heard before.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:19pm On Dec 27, 2019
God bless you.
hollaytan:
I found this article quite misleading because I had my masters degree from a university in Germany. I can tell that truly the grass is not green on ther other side, but far better than the situation in Nigeria. What about the tuition free programs, outstanding health insurance, the extremely cheap transport for student embedded in the negligible Senseter fee, post graduation prospects among others? I studied in Germany and it open doors of opportunities for me. I am presently in the states, I know of so many others in USA and Canada doing their PhD over there following their graduation in Germany
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:30pm On Dec 27, 2019
You still have a poor mentality and lower dreams if you feel 8,000 euro is a start up capital for u.
RealityShot:
if i have €8000,
why on earth will i leave NIGERIA?

AM ALREADY RICH!

I can start many kinds of businesses with half that and still leave like a boss here.
so why leave? G-wagon? Maybach?

mtcheww!

if you have access to that kind of money, come meet me to help forget studying or going abroad at all.

€8000 come my way fast!!!

my people have been forcing me to leave Naija since 2017... HECK NO!
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 3:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
You know how it feels when you live in a dark country ( 9ja) we all detest ourselves here in Nigeria, the eastern part criticize the western people it happens every where. We blacks are heartless more than the white. My husband lives in Germany he complains bout racism but is still far better than 9ja oh yeah the realities will show you the way.....
Redman44:
In retrospect, this is the kind of stories our Newspapers and Magazines should be publishing smiley smiley smiley smiley. There is nothing bad in traveling or living in Europe and other white nations. However, Nigerians need to be told what is actually going on in Europe and North America. Asia is a kettle of fish altogether, so I won't dwell much on that side of the World. I can assure you that this guy will be more useful to himself and the society in Nigeria. Perception is different from Reality. Do you know how it feels like when you know you are not really part of the Society you live in? Yes, you have a EU passport, UK Passport etc but you just always feel something is not right about your circumstances or the life you are living in Europe. You have do some things just to fit in in the white man's world smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley. Sometimes, when you are not married, you have to release yourself and make yourself available to all kinds of sexual advances just to fit in at work. Is somebody out there feeling me?

There are things we can learn from European Societies and adapt those things back home in Africa and Nigeria. Yes, Nigeria can be frustrating and we have all kinds of problems. Yes, our leaders are not doing what they should do and we don't have enough infrastructure. But tell me, where do you feel free 100%? In Nigeria or in Europe? In Nigeria or in North America? Do you know the owners of Wilson's Juice in Nigeria? Seun and Seyi Abolaji returned to Nigeria after 20 years living in the USA. Their Lemonade Juice business is doing well in Nigeria. What do you think prompted these brothers to return to Nigeria? I don't want to say too much here, but Kester Audu will do well in Nigeria in whatever he decides to do with what he has learnt in Germany. The Nigerian Media does not report on people who returned from the white man's lands and who are doing well back home. We only read stories about the journeymen and women who were deported shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.

If you are able to travel to Europe and North America, please tell us about the real situation of things there. Both the Positives and Negatives. Thanks.
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 8:05pm On Dec 27, 2019
Lol it’s not about starting business kid it’s about maintenance. It’s not easy to grow and stand a good business that will make someone a fortune that money is extremely small for a start up.
peacengine:

Guy If you're not get rich quick type, look into investment, car resell, cargo, Uber, Taxify, Poultry,Pigry, turkey, whole sale of clothes, online shopify, forex many more
Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2019
Lol abi oo I don read tire headache don they worry me self na so I start to Dey skip there argument. E be like say u Dey my mind
dguyindcorner:

Re: My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student by Mmkgroup5(f): 8:22pm On Dec 27, 2019
Mmkgroup5:
Lol it’s not about starting business it’s about maintenance. It’s not easy to grow and stand a good business that will make someone a fortune . Some people’s dream are larger abeg, business is a risk you have to have extra money for a backup.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ghana Visa Requirement For Nigerians From July / Accident On Third Mainland Bridge Throws Man's Leg Inside Lagos Lagoon (Photos) / Buhari Hotels And Restaurants Spotted In India (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.