Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,169 members, 7,807,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion (1168 Views)

DJ Cuppy Envisions Herself Being Eaten Up By Her Pet Lion When It Grows / Indian Keeps Lion At Lagos Residential Building (Photos) / Man Killed By Lion He Kept As Pet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:28am On Jan 28, 2019
Hello guys, I'm thinking of getting a pet lion. I already met with the seller and we have discussed at length.
He assured me that she won't be any problem later on as long as I keep her in check all the time. Give her regular domestication pills and feed her well.
Now the issue is, I have two dogs who are so precious to me. I hope I won't come home one day to see that Miss lion has eaten my dogs?
Any advice before taking this major decision?
Also, I'll like to state that I met all the criterias... Big compound, exclusive cage area, isolated environment and stuffs.
I wouldn't have been scared like this but everyone I've told always end up passing a scary remark about it.
FIRST picture is the lion selling website.
SECOND are my dogs.
Please before you criticize me, note that I've always been a fan of lions since I was like 6 years old when I went to the zoo with my uncle and I've promised myself that I will get one someday when I'm financially able.

Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by gmajor10(m): 8:35am On Jan 28, 2019
Well done bro..... my question to you for now is, have you made inquires from Customs about Nigeria's policy of bringing in such animal from abroad and likely cost implications.
Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by sorority11(m): 9:46am On Jan 28, 2019
Can you afford the blood meal
Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by IamAnderson(m): 11:11am On Jan 28, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
Hello guys, I'm thinking of getting a pet lion. I already met with the seller and we have discussed at length.
He assured me that she won't be any problem later on as long as I keep her in check all the time. Give her regular domestication pills and feed her well.
Now the issue is, I have two dogs who are so precious to me. I hope I won't come home one day to see that Miss lion has eaten my dogs?
Any advice before taking this major decision?
Also, I'll like to state that I met all the criterias... Big compound, exclusive cage area, isolated environment and stuffs.
I wouldn't have been scared like this but everyone I've told always end up passing a scary remark about it.
FIRST picture is the lion selling website.
SECOND are my dogs.
Please before you criticize me, note that I've always been a fan of lions since I was like 6 years old when I went to the zoo with my uncle and I've promised myself that I will get one someday when I'm financially able.
let's start with some questions
shebi you know that white lions are albinos?
they are not just white because lions can be white....it's a skin condition like albinism
are you sure you can handle a fully grown lion?
you cannot take a lion on a walk, and the lion needs to be fed heavily with meat(it's a carnivore and no it cannot survive on milk if that's what you were wondering)
your dogs will most likely get eaten or killed by the lion because... it's a lion and it will see them as competition
can you dedicate your life into taming a lion?
you will have to either hire a professional trainer or quit your job because you cannot have a lion to tame and be going to work...it's a full time job
you cannot physically control the lion if it decides to attack and kill somebody so it'll have to be kept in a cage to keep it away from people and you know what they say about caged predators
this plan as much as you think you can make it work, is a recipe for disaster
all those people you see on TV with tamed lions are professionals and they also dedicated their lives towards training the lions, even at that they are still dangerous.
unfortunately, your love for the animal cannot be converted to the skill you will need training it
i suggest you keep your lion fantasy as a fantasy... it's for your own good and for the safety of the people around you

5 Likes

Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:18am On Jan 28, 2019
IamAnderson:

let's start with some questions
shebi you know that white lions are albinos?
they are not just white because lions can be white....it's a skin condition like albinism
are you sure you can handle a fully grown lion?
you cannot take a lion on a walk, and the lion needs to be fed heavily with meat(it's a carnivore and no it cannot survive on milk if that's what you were wondering)
your dogs will most likely get eaten or killed by the lion because... it's a lion and it will see them as competition
can you dedicate your life into taming a lion?
you will have to either hire a professional trainer or quit your job because you cannot have a lion to tame and be going to work...it's a full time job
you cannot physically control the lion if it decides to attack and kill somebody so it'll have to be kept in a cage to keep it away from people and you know what they say about caged predators
this plan as much as you think you can make it work, is a recipe for disaster
all those people you see on TV with tamed lions are professionals and they also dedicated their lives towards training the lions, even at that they are still dangerous.
unfortunately, your love for the animal cannot be converted to the skill you will need training it
i suggest you keep your lion fantasy as a fantasy... it's for your own good and for the safety of the people around you
That's kind you for this very detailed advice. I'll take it.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:20am On Jan 28, 2019
gmajor10:
Well done bro..... my question to you for now is, have you made inquires from Customs about Nigeria's policy of bringing in such animal from abroad and likely cost implications.
No I haven't but with the video calls and all other chats I had with the sellers in US, it looks like it shouldn't cost much to bring it down here and the custom duty is going to read ZOO until it gets to my doorstep.

1 Like

Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:22am On Jan 28, 2019
sorority11:
Can you afford the blood meal
Huh... If she doesn't eat like every hour. Then I think I shouldn't have a problem with feeding her. Anyway, I've decided to bury the idea and just keep my love for the animal a fantasy like IamAnderson said.
Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2019
Can you kill this desire in you? Alot of it don't end well due to bad management. ordinary dogs have led to some sad stories due to bad management too... So it's not becos it's a lion we talking about, it's just becos of the possibility of mis-managment

Are u always gonna be around, won't u ever travel? lions are not family pets ooooooo.....
research have shown that they usually don't bond with every member of the family same way. U'll enjoy them in the early years though..but like every cat they get territorial and very private later...

Its good that u have dogs, it will help condition the behaviour of the cub early enuf......but sometimes, cats dont just let u own then forever....one wrong move, the instincts just emerge....even the smallest specie, felis catus our popular domestic ones...have shown cases of sudden hunt instict when the chance shows up no matter how long u have fed them tuna in cans.

If u are locked in on getting it...good luck shaaaa...

2 Likes

Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by gmajor10(m): 11:58am On Jan 28, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

No I haven't but with the video calls and all other chats I had with the sellers in US, it looks like it shouldn't cost much to bring it down here and the custom duty is going to read ZOO until it gets to my doorstep.

Seller will only want to sell, and do not forget Nigeria is highly unique. We do not follow the international rules.

As the seller ever shipped to Nigeria? That will help.
Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by holaoni(m): 4:05am On Jan 29, 2019
The maintenance is really expensive(you can check runtown on Tunde ednut's Instagram page he owns one too for more clarification) and sure once it's getting out of pup age you definitely gonna be feeding it meat and not milk again and you know ow what that means
Re: I Need Professional Advice On Pet Lion by prinzetobi: 8:30am On Jan 29, 2019
gmajor10:

Seller will only want to sell, and do not forget Nigeria is highly unique. We do not follow the international rules.

As the seller ever shipped to Nigeria? That will help.

Lions have landed on this soil bro. A couple of them that I know.

(1) (Reply)

sold!!!! / What Breed Of Dog Is This / Giving Out My German Shepherd Out Free In Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.