Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,400 members, 7,781,155 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:56 AM

The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur (9532 Views)

16 Self Employed Business Skills You Can Learn Online / The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur / How To Calculate The Amount Of Wallpaper You Will Need. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by i2know2(m): 11:53am On Jan 28, 2019
What does it take to run an online business? Do you need to be able to write a great business plan, design amazing graphics or craft effective copy?

Depending on the exact nature of your business, there are a variety of skills that are good-to-haves. But not all are must-haves, and that’s worth taking a look at here. Because some skills are absolutely essential to your success in the online space. Especially when you are at the nascent stages and are unable to hire staff.

If you want to run an online business, you need to master the following five must-have skills.

1. Technical
Online business is where your technical abilities will be put to the test. Registering domains and buying a hosting plan is easy. Many hosts even let you install WordPress with a single click.

But things can get pretty complicated from there. What if you want to custom-design a template for your site? What if your WordPress site gets hacked, and you need to get it back up and running as fast as possible? What if you need to install a script or fix a column in your MySQL database? What if you need to code and develop a proprietary web application?

There are a lot of technical aspects to running a website that varies in terms of complexity. You can outsource and hire freelancers to do some of the work, but it’s best to know how things work, in case you encounter any major issues or emergencies. You do not even need to go too deep, just the basics.

2. SEO
For most websites, organic search is the number-one source of traffic. If you aren’t doing your keyword research, creating optimized content and constantly tweaking your website to improve its SEO, your business is not going to remain competitive in the online space.

Keyword research is really just a starting point. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with Page Authority and Domain Authority, responsive design, backlink building, clean code, load times and much more.

But your main area of focus should be ranking your content in search, since there are many technical aspects in the constantly shifting world of SEO, and keeping up with it all is a full-time job in and of itself. There’s no way to stay on top of it all when you’re running a business.

Again, strategically hiring freelancers or agencies might be a better way to keep your website optimized in the long run. Nevertheless, the knowledge you gain won’t go to waste, as you’ll also be able to verify the quality of the outsourced work should you choose to pay for SEO services.

3. Content creation
The ability to create quality, value-added and search-engine-optimized content is key to running a successful online business in today’s online environment. Content drives traffic, builds trust and attracts new leads and customers to your business.

This often means writing articles and blog posts, which can be a time-consuming process. Audio podcasts and videos are also quite effective but can be even more intensive in terms of the time, money and effort required.

With this in mind, don't underestimate the value of content, as it is likely to be the primary driver of traffic to your site. You’ll want to create and manage an editorial calendar, stick to a publishing schedule and create valuable content that answers the questions of your target audience.

Content builds credibility with visitors coming to your website, and consumers are more likely to trust businesses that provide valuable content. Don’t forget to put strategies in place to get visitors onto your email list.

4. Expertise in a given niche
Are you knowledgeable in the specific niche you’re planning on doing business in? If not, you may want to rethink your topic choice.

In order to build trust with your audience, you'll need to be able to demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and experienced in your industry.

This doesn’t mean that you need to know all of the ins and outs of your niche, as many entrepreneurs begin their journey with just enough of an understanding of their topic. But if they have risen quickly in their niche, that's because they invested in their growth and became voracious students of it.

Additionally, if you’re passionate about a project, you’re more likely to stick with it over the long haul. Business requires perseverance, and you are less likely to stay with the grind if it’s a project you don’t care about. Expertise in a given niche will help you build authority in your space.

5. Paid advertising
While content can drive a lot of organic traffic, paid traffic is also immensely valuable.

Most advertising platforms feature extensive targeting and filtering options that allow you to better reach your target customer. They also enable you to test the effectiveness of your landing pages and product or service offerings.

But it's important to keep in mind that advertising isn’t necessarily a set-and-forget solution. Crafting effective ads and refining your targeting can be a challenge unless you have prior experience. Conversion optimization becomes all the more important when you’re spending money to bring people to your website.

You also need to try Affiliate Marketing, get other platforms to talk about your business, advertise for you and even refer your business for them. You should focus on Authorities in the line of your products/services.

There’s a lot you can figure out by trial and error with advertising, but you will inevitably end up wasting some money in the process. If you aren’t confident with your paid advertising know-how or don’t have a big budget, you’ll want to either take the time to learn or hire an expert who can help you create effective campaigns.

Final thoughts
If you’re going to run an online business, you'll have to wear a lot of different hats. No matter what business you get into -- even if it’s a brick-and-mortar business -- multitasking will be unavoidable.

The key is to focus on the high-level tasks that will help you grow your business. You can begin to systematize and delegate tasks as you increase revenue and get to the point where you can hire. Some tasks can also be outsourced to freelancers.

But, this list helps you know what skills you'll need to run an online business, so now you can study and cultivate the knowledge necessary to be successful online.

[b=http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2019/01/the-most-important-skills-you-will-need.html]ARTICLE SOURCE[/b]

8 Likes

Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 29, 2019
Good one. Ftc. Lalasticlala my gift please
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by BabyApple(m): 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
Learn coding
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
Good one. Lalasticlala my gift please
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by morakinyo20(m): 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
Thank you for this.
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by psychologist(m): 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
Hg
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Jason007: 1:44pm On Jan 29, 2019
THUMBS UP
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Olachase(m): 1:46pm On Jan 29, 2019
pĺs I needed someone to guide me.
I have 3years of full-time work experience in mechanical engineering Technician, I have work with Nigeria Breweries as mechanical Technician during my working with them I achieve my (mechanical trade test) now my point is this I wanted to enroll into OND in computer hardware engineer
cus I only have my S.S.C.E now, pls can I use Computer Hardware engineer results to get mechanical engineering work? don't forget I have 3years of experience in mechanical engineering with achievement of Mechanical trade test!!!! pls ur answer is welcome

no vex for my English hoo
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by zeanslim(m): 1:47pm On Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for this, implementing it on one of my blog Trendytechbuzz , The outcome have been great so far cool cool
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by ZombiePUNISHER: 1:47pm On Jan 29, 2019
Hacking

grin grin grin
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by hahn(m): 1:54pm On Jan 29, 2019
Babaonpoint at it again

But this same post made FTC before na

2 Likes

Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Akanapiaigwe: 1:59pm On Jan 29, 2019
hahn:
Babaonpoint at it again

But this same post made FTC before na
grin
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Neednewphone: 2:00pm On Jan 29, 2019
I need answers to this below

If i register PayPal with my national ID card will I be able to receive payment online? Please I need answers

There is this online business I'm doing I didn't spend a Kobo on it it's just to install an app through invitation link and keep the app running then each month the person will be paid 100$ depends on how long you run the app I was invited through the link and register successfully the app is running how an I got mail that I'll be paid on the 15th of every month if I run the app daily

Now I've created a PayPal account I want to know if I can send and receive money through the PayPal cause I oppened it with my real NINC card
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by qanda: 2:14pm On Jan 29, 2019
Useful Information. The need to optimize content for Search Engine Optimization cannot be overemphasized. The good thing is that SEO in it true sense is not difficult nor technical. If only concerned persons will make good use of their resources - internet data and phone... to read useful resources. You can start by reading the materials located at the Business/Career section of Q and A App. You can download the App from Playstore.
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by TemiVast: 2:22pm On Jan 29, 2019
[ Please how do I learn one or two of these skills

]What does it take to run an online business? Do you need to be able to write a great business plan, design amazing graphics or craft effective copy?

Depending on the exact nature of your business, there are a variety of skills that are good-to-haves. But not all are must-haves, and that’s worth taking a look at here. Because some skills are absolutely essential to your success in the online space. Especially when you are at the nascent stages and are unable to hire staff.

If you want to run an online business, you need to master the following five must-have skills.

1. Technical
Online business is where your technical abilities will be put to the test. Registering domains and buying a hosting plan is easy. Many hosts even let you install WordPress with a single click.

But things can get pretty complicated from there. What if you want to custom-design a template for your site? What if your WordPress site gets hacked, and you need to get it back up and running as fast as possible? What if you need to install a script or fix a column in your MySQL database? What if you need to code and develop a proprietary web application?

There are a lot of technical aspects to running a website that varies in terms of complexity. You can outsource and hire freelancers to do some of the work, but it’s best to know how things work, in case you encounter any major issues or emergencies. You do not even need to go too deep, just the basics.

2. SEO
For most websites, organic search is the number-one source of traffic. If you aren’t doing your keyword research, creating optimized content and constantly tweaking your website to improve its SEO, your business is not going to remain competitive in the online space.

Keyword research is really just a starting point. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with Page Authority and Domain Authority, responsive design, backlink building, clean code, load times and much more.

But your main area of focus should be ranking your content in search, since there are many technical aspects in the constantly shifting world of SEO, and keeping up with it all is a full-time job in and of itself. There’s no way to stay on top of it all when you’re running a business.

Again, strategically hiring freelancers or agencies might be a better way to keep your website optimized in the long run. Nevertheless, the knowledge you gain won’t go to waste, as you’ll also be able to verify the quality of the outsourced work should you choose to pay for SEO services.

3. Content creation
The ability to create quality, value-added and search-engine-optimized content is key to running a successful online business in today’s online environment. Content drives traffic, builds trust and attracts new leads and customers to your business.

This often means writing articles and blog posts, which can be a time-consuming process. Audio podcasts and videos are also quite effective but can be even more intensive in terms of the time, money and effort required.

With this in mind, don't underestimate the value of content, as it is likely to be the primary driver of traffic to your site. You’ll want to create and manage an editorial calendar, stick to a publishing schedule and create valuable content that answers the questions of your target audience.

Content builds credibility with visitors coming to your website, and consumers are more likely to trust businesses that provide valuable content. Don’t forget to put strategies in place to get visitors onto your email list.

4. Expertise in a given niche
Are you knowledgeable in the specific niche you’re planning on doing business in? If not, you may want to rethink your topic choice.

In order to build trust with your audience, you'll need to be able to demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and experienced in your industry.

This doesn’t mean that you need to know all of the ins and outs of your niche, as many entrepreneurs begin their journey with just enough of an understanding of their topic. But if they have risen quickly in their niche, that's because they invested in their growth and became voracious students of it.

Additionally, if you’re passionate about a project, you’re more likely to stick with it over the long haul. Business requires perseverance, and you are less likely to stay with the grind if it’s a project you don’t care about. Expertise in a given niche will help you build authority in your space.

5. Paid advertising
While content can drive a lot of organic traffic, paid traffic is also immensely valuable.

Most advertising platforms feature extensive targeting and filtering options that allow you to better reach your target customer. They also enable you to test the effectiveness of your landing pages and product or service offerings.

But it's important to keep in mind that advertising isn’t necessarily a set-and-forget solution. Crafting effective ads and refining your targeting can be a challenge unless you have prior experience. Conversion optimization becomes all the more important when you’re spending money to bring people to your website.

You also need to try Affiliate Marketing, get other platforms to talk about your business, advertise for you and even refer your business for them. You should focus on Authorities in the line of your products/services.

There’s a lot you can figure out by trial and error with advertising, but you will inevitably end up wasting some money in the process. If you aren’t confident with your paid advertising know-how or don’t have a big budget, you’ll want to either take the time to learn or hire an expert who can help you create effective campaigns.

Final thoughts
If you’re going to run an online business, you'll have to wear a lot of different hats. No matter what business you get into -- even if it’s a brick-and-mortar business -- multitasking will be unavoidable.

The key is to focus on the high-level tasks that will help you grow your business. You can begin to systematize and delegate tasks as you increase revenue and get to the point where you can hire. Some tasks can also be outsourced to freelancers.

But, this list helps you know what skills you'll need to run an online business, so now you can study and cultivate the knowledge necessary to be successful online.

[b=http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2019/01/the-most-important-skills-you-will-need.html]ARTICLE SOURCE[/b][/quote]
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Ruddyman(m): 2:23pm On Jan 29, 2019
good
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 29, 2019
great input
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by MicroBox: 3:35pm On Jan 29, 2019
Noted
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by periphetes: 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2019
Olachase:
pĺs I needed someone to guide me.
I have 3years of full-time work experience in mechanical engineering Technician, I have work with Nigeria Breweries as mechanical Technician during my working with them I achieve my (mechanical trade test) now my point is this I wanted to enroll into OND in computer hardware engineer
cus I only have my S.S.C.E now, pls can I use Computer Hardware engineer results to get mechanical engineering work? don't forget I have 3years of experience in mechanical engineering with achievement of Mechanical trade test!!!! pls ur answer is welcome

no vex for my English hoo

My advice to you enroll for mechanical engineering in your OND get your first degree afterward you can apply for professional certification in computer hardware engineering which will be a bonus. Experience with specialization is what needed in engineering.
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by faceland: 7:28pm On Jan 29, 2019
This post is too broad. So let me give a simple but broad answer. Just go to YouTube and research you chosen niche.

Also know that it might take you up to a year+ to see significant results. In other words, no lazy person has ever made it online, ever!
Re: The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur by e10nzy(m): 7:42pm On Jan 29, 2019
Neednewphone:
I need answers to this below

If i register PayPal with my national ID card will I be able to receive payment online? Please I need answers

There is this online business I'm doing I didn't spend a Kobo on it it's just to install an app through invitation link and keep the app running then each month the person will be paid 100$ depends on how long you run the app I was invited through the link and register successfully the app is running how an I got mail that I'll be paid on the 15th of every month if I run the app daily

Now I've created a PayPal account I want to know if I can send and receive money through the P4ayPal cause I oppened it with my real NINC card

Hi, what's the name of the app? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lease Autodesk Product Design Collection And AEC Collection / Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes / Liquid Soap Preparation, Formular, Questions & Answer Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.