Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? (2444 Views)

Boko Haram Runs Out Of Arms And Ammunition As The North Wins The Presidency / If I Hated The North, I Wouldn’t Have Built Almajiri Schools - Jonathan / What If The North Wins The 2015 Election? What Will Happen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by odumchi: 4:55am On Aug 18, 2010
I have been pondering this for some time and in all popular civil wars in which there is a North and South, the North wins. Some known examples:

Nigerian Biafran war- North won

U.S. civil war- North won

Vietnamese civil war- North won

Korean civil war -(North basically won if it werent for the U.S. and the U.N.)
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by chyz(m): 5:00am On Aug 18, 2010
I have noticed that northern parts in many countries are usually oppressive for some reason but i see where you coming from ive also wandered down that line of thinking before too.However, the North did not will the Nigerian civil war.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by odumchi: 6:27am On Aug 18, 2010
Yes its very true and I wonder why. it doesnt seem like an ordinary coincidence to me.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:29am On Aug 18, 2010
chyz:

I have noticed that northern parts in many countries are usually oppressive for some reason but i see where you coming from ive also wandered down that line of thinking before too.However, the North did not will the Nigerian civil war.

Lol! Chyz. . . . . . wow!
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by excanny: 8:04am On Aug 18, 2010
There are civil wars in which the conflict is between the East and West. If i'm correct as in the case of the Russian Civil War. 

What i've noticed is that., in most civil wars, the government forces are usually victorious as a result of the consideration given to the legitimacy of the conflict.

This factor, legitimacy factor, is what makes government forces in most cases to carry the day since the civil war will end up derailing into a proxy war between partisan superpowers.

And most times more superpowers support the legitimate government or the justifiably oppressed.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by odumchi: 8:16am On Aug 18, 2010
^ I dont think that government forces winning is relavant in this matter because all of these nations--both the beligrants and the defenders each had their own nation states and gov'ts
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by bkbabe97y(m): 8:18am On Aug 18, 2010
excanny:

There are civil wars in which the conflict is between the East and West. If i'm correct as in the case of the Russian Civil War.

You coulda just stopped right there! You made ur point. . . . all that other ish was off-topic!
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by komando: 9:51am On Aug 18, 2010
I can see somebody is back from Carlifornia, bcuz a certain thing was not legalized by its supreme court. Maybe his Colombian 'friend' has also left him. People had better watch out for a tribalistic post from the crime section before the day is over. Because something tells me the slimmy Igbo-hating dude may post something.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by excanny: 11:03am On Aug 18, 2010
odumchi:

^ I dont think that government forces winning is relavant in this matter because all of these nations--both the beligrants and the defenders each had their own nation states and gov'ts

What i meant by 'government forces' is that in most civil conflicts, there is always a logical analysis of the legitimacy of the conflict.

This means that those who try to break away, or try to seek a new government are termed rebels, while the original government is termed government forces.

I'm making a general statement here, no reference to any specific case.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Pennywise(m): 11:44am On Aug 18, 2010
@OP
Between England and Scotland which is more northern? Perhaps the English erroneously settled in the south.

Point of correction :The Nigerian civil war was between the SE and the NW, NE, NC, SW and SS. They were all beating on one small region.And it took all of 30mths. Call it Biafran war.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2010
chyz:

Oops !! Ojukwu won abi ?ROTFLMAO
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by invisible2(m): 11:52am On Aug 18, 2010
What a waste of cyber space.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by excanny: 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2010
I knew that this was going to be derailed into an Ojukwu talk. I initially didn't want to comment, only that it was a topic i was researching of late. 

Some people just dont have any thing to offer. Just empty skulls!
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2010
odumchi:

I have been pondering this for some time and in all known civil wars, the North wins. Some known examples:

Nigerian Biafran war- North won

U.S. civil war- North won

Vietnamese civil war- North won

Korean civil war -(North basically won if it werent for the U.S. and the U.N.)

The Biafran War was not between "north" and "south", but between Biafra and the rest of Nigeria (including entities in Western and Southern Nigeria), however, going along with your "approximate" geographical demarcations:

Civil War 1. Boshin War (Japan, 1868-1869): Imperial forces (south) defeated the Shogunate (north).

Civil War 2. First Carlist War (Spain, 1833-1839): The Liberals (south) defeated the Carlists (north).

There are many more examples of "south" defeating "north".

Please learn when to use "some" instead of "all".

Thank you.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by EzeUche22(m): 12:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
The Nigerian Civil War was not between the North and the South. It was between the East and the rest of Nigeria, including certain groups who will remain nameless, but fought against their Eastern brothers.

Basically, you can sum up the war as a regional war, because it was not only an Igbo war which people erroneously say, but the Efik, Ibibio, Ekoi and some Ijaw, yes some Ijaw fought on Biafra. Since the name Biafra was coined by a son of Ijawland.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by seunmsg(m): 1:19pm On Aug 18, 2010
@ Poster, you most be a very terrible student of history. The Nigerian Civil War was between the Nigerian state and the then Republic of Biafra not an east vs north thing as you are insinuating. The Nigerian forces was initially led by Brigadier Adekunle Maja a yoruba man from south west Nigerian before Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo was deployed to finish the war. Also, the korean war was not won by the north as you want us to beleive. Your argument that the south was supported by USA does not hold because North Korea had the support of China.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by idupaul: 2:24pm On Aug 18, 2010
Its probably because northerners got bigger d í c k s than southerner . In vietnam northern vcs were known for their large phalluses_ in nigeria southern men are known for their tiny pricks eg theodore orji . It medically proven that the bigger the prick the more brave the man
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by tpiah: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2010
daft topic.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Ikengawo: 5:42pm On Aug 18, 2010
the north didn't win the nigerian civil war.
it wasn't south v. north

it was southeast v. southwest, north, middle belt and elements in the south south such as the ogoni
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by philip0906(m): 5:44pm On Aug 18, 2010
Whatz d purpose of this thread? undecided
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2010
Someone is daft!!!!
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Dede1(m): 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2010
This is a scintillating display of ignorance. No wonder Nigeria continues to lag behind in every human endeavor. Can someone educate the original poster that Nigeria-Biafra civil war was not between North and South?

It was a war between Eastern Region of Nigeria versus Northern, Western, Mid-western (without Ndigbo) regions and saboteurs from eastern region. Majority of Ogoni, Atama and Ibibio fought on the Biafran side while the majority of Ijo and Efik fought on Nigerian side.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by marcdunu: 8:12pm On Aug 18, 2010
Well Scotland is in the North of Britain

England is in the South.

So North does not always win.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by odumchi: 8:22pm On Aug 18, 2010
Everyone knows what happened in Nigeria. I am not sayimg it was a south v north war but the people in the north came out as victors right?
And as for Korea the north koreans would have won anyway without China. they conquered all of Korea except a territory half the size of Srilanka before the Chinese even got involved.
Let me rephrase my argument "Why is it that in all famous civil wars b/w the north and south the north wins?
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by james1(m): 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2010
North don't always win beside the north of Nigeria did not win,Nigeria won Biafra.Gowon said no victor,no vanquish.go and read your books again.thank you.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by Dede1(m): 10:46pm On Aug 18, 2010
@OP

It is not your fault that silly perception has led to you into indelible ignorance. If the northern region had been perceived to have won the Nigeria-Biafra civil, the unfortunate notion might have been aided by the cowardice and unfathomable idiocy displayed by certain the section of southern Nigerian that actually fought the war.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by odumchi: 1:05am On Aug 19, 2010
You people are taking this thing too seriously. I have just been wondering about this and I am speaking my mind. I know Nigerian history and I know what happened there. I did not make this topic for all of you to gang up on me I am speaking my mind and if you dont like it then cuttof your ears. cool
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by komando: 1:44am On Aug 19, 2010
Don't mind the cantankurous Nigerians: you did right by posting a friendly topic. But apparently polite discuss is way beyond a lot of our people. Suffer their intolerant spirit in peace my young man.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by EzeUche22(m): 1:47am On Aug 19, 2010
komando:

Don't mind the cantankurous Nigerians: you did right by posting a friendly topic. But apparently polite discuss is way beyond a lot of our people. Suffer their intolerant spirit in peace my young man.

If the North won, why didn't our southwest brothers help there southeast brothers?
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by chyz(m): 1:52am On Aug 19, 2010
odumchi:

You people are taking this thing too seriously. I have just been wondering about this and I am speaking my mind. I know Nigerian history and I know what happened there. I did not make this topic for all of you to gang up on me I am speaking my mind and if you dont like it then cuttof your ears. cool

No mind them.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by tpiah: 1:54am On Aug 19, 2010
op here's your answer since you no dey hear word and are very sensitive, seeing insults where there are none:

idupaul:

Its probably because northerners got bigger d í c k s than southerner . In vietnam northern vcs were known for their large phalluses_ in nigeria southern men are known for their tiny pricks eg theodore orji . It medically proven that the bigger the prick the more brave the man

go with that.
Re: Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins? by BigB11(m): 1:58am On Aug 19, 2010
Why Is It That In All Civil Wars The North Wins?
Northerners need very little to survive; unlike:
A Yoruba man who wants 72" HD flat screen TV in all his 12 bedrooms, eventhough, he doesn't even know how to operate any of these TVs and hardly turn them on, but yet still wants the TVs only because his neighbor has 10.
And an Igbo man who wants to turn his 100 naira to 1B naira, eventhough he has no clue how this is going to happen in the next 100 years, but yet he's still determined to be a billionaire before the end of the year.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Vs Nigeria Court Case Is Tomorow @owerri High Court. Be There!!! / World Leaders Castigate Buhari - Photos.. / I Paid Chief Anenih N100 Million - Prof Osunbor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.