Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,034 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? (8124 Views)

How Many Souls Escaped The 'Hell' Fire Of Sodom And Gomorrah? / Charred Remains Of Sodom And Gomorrah Discovered (videos & Photos) / Except God Intervenes, Nigeria Not Better Than Sodom And Gomorrah - CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 5:03pm On Feb 02, 2019
LordReed:

Correction: A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, that originates in outer space and survives its passage through the atmosphere to reach the surface of a planet or moon.

What are you correcting na grin

I merely corrected a wrong notion. I was not particular about broadening the term. I just wanted to correct how someone saw meteors.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by LordReed(m): 5:59pm On Feb 02, 2019
BluntBoy:

What are you correcting na grin

I merely corrected a wrong notion. I was not particular about broadening the term. I just wanted to correct how someone saw meteors.

Don't mind me I am just being pedantic.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 6:50pm On Feb 02, 2019
LordReed:

Don't mind me I am just being pedantic.
grin
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Blakjewelry(m): 8:11pm On Feb 02, 2019
BluntBoy:

The Russian episode was a caused by a meteoroid that exploded in the atmosphere. Meteoroids that explode in the atmosphere are called bolides and are capable of generating shock waves that can smash windows.

The Russian episode was however a superbolide.
wrong. normally I don't want to go into specifics because I don't consider the thread a scientific one.
I said your assertion is wrong because meteoroid, asteroid or comets are referred to as meteor once they entered the atmosphere. whether they burn out as shooting star or cause an airburst called bolide or superbolide or end up crashing to the earth they are something "meteor"

furthermore meteoroid are differentiate from asteroid based on size. the size has been further reduce from it initial estimated size of 10m to about a meter. now the meteor that cause the Russia is estimated to be between 17 to 20 meter so can't be referred to has meteoroid
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 10:11pm On Feb 02, 2019
Blakjewelry:

wrong. normally I don't want to go into specifics because I don't consider the thread a scientific one.
I said your assertion is wrong because meteoroid, asteroid or comets are referred to as meteor once they entered the atmosphere. whether they burn out as shooting star or cause an airburst called bolide or superbolide or end up crashing to the earth they are something "meteor"

furthermore meteoroid are differentiate from asteroid based on size. the size has been further reduce from it initial estimated size of 10m to about a meter. now the meteor that cause the Russia is estimated to be between 17 to 20 meter so can't be referred to has meteoroid

grin

Bro, meteoroids and asteroids don't become meteors. Rather, they cause meteors.

Read this:

Whenever a meteoroid plows into the Earth’s atmosphere, it will create a brief flash of moving light in the sky, called a meteor.
https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-faq/

A meteor is just a light phenomenon. It is not debris. It is not a solid object. It is just a moving light created by a meteoroid or asteroid as it hurtles through the atmosphere.

As per the Russian episode, if the superbolide that exploded over Russia is not a meteoroid, then it must be an asteroid.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by orunto27: 11:01pm On Feb 02, 2019
The Supreme Spirit(God) did.
He is The Subject in Pneumatology ie Spiritology which covers
Feelings and the resultant Arts and Actions.
Thinking, which is Science, Actions and interactions and
Reasoning which covers Arts, Science and Movements.
The Record shows that God destroyed that land(S&G) because of their Selfishness.
God will not destroy Nigeria because there are Righteous people in Nigeria.
God will not destroy and land any more because Jesus has come, died and resurrected. He is coming back to clean all unrighteousness in The Land.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:14pm On Feb 02, 2019
BluntBoy:

grin

Bro, meteoroids and asteroids don't become meteors. Rather, they cause meteors.

Read this:

Whenever a meteoroid plows into the Earth’s atmosphere, it will create a brief flash of moving light in the sky, called a meteor.
https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-faq/

A meteor is just a light phenomenon. It is not debris. It is not a solid object. It is just a moving light created by a meteoroid or asteroid as it hurtles through the atmosphere.

As per the Russian episode, if the superbolide that exploded over Russia is not a meteoroid, then it must be an asteroid.

see as you end up trying to confuse yourself? you used the word shower in your Google search hence that is what you get. if all meteor as you said ends as meteor shower, shooting star or falling star as you say and then tell me have you ever come across the word asteroid crater? perhaps you are more learned than the people that coin the word meteor crater.

I have tried to simply it but maybe you just want to argue. when these solid mass are in space, they are classified and called their individual names based on their size, mass, point of origin etc. but once they are in the atmosphere, what we now observe is a meteor, if you want to know the type of meteor whether is a meteoroid, micrometeoroid, asteroid or comet etc that is at your own discretion. now the said meteor can end up as meteor shower, airburst or bolide or meteorite and mind you and airburst still left small particles meteorites most times not big enough to cause crater .

also how meteor ends up depends on it parent material I.e what it was before entering the atmosphere.

so all in all I did not say meteoroid cause meteor rather meteor is the general terms for any of the aforementioned objects flying the atmosphere.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:45pm On Feb 02, 2019
BluntBoy:

scroll down to where the writer tries to explain meteorite and bolide. he making same mistake as you, after defining meteor as a small bodies that disintegrate in the atmosphere, when trying to explain bolide he said bolide are "meteors" which exploded.
https://www.universetoday.com/36398/what-is-the-difference-between-asteroids-and-meteorites/

also see this the term constantly used on the superbolide that occur in Russia is meteor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

check the term constantly used.

even if you want to Google search, what you will get is Chelyabinsk meteor. so maybe everybody is wrong and you are right
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by aadoiza: 7:02am On Feb 03, 2019
SKhanmi:

Cohort's? Wow. You obviously think am an atheist? Where do you stand sir?. Smh.

I never crosscarpet into Islamic threads.
Don't engage in verbal fisticuffs.
Nor make general assumptions.

Did you even try & find out ANYTHING? No?

Nuclear effects are not verifiable?! I give up then.

It won't be new if we slid into another dark age & later civilizations profess that H & N were destroyed by brimstone & fire.
Like anyone would love to tell them they are the runts of more advanced past civilizations. Humans capacity for self deceit is outstanding!.
Thanks for calling me a believer by the way. Everyone else thinks it's bloody ironic. There are better things than religions.

Truth is subjective. Keep that in mind & remember folks who resort to expletives to pass points probably have nothing else. To say.
If you're not an atheist then you certainly have got misgivings about your faith. You're slipping away, man.
What have you done to verify the region was actually nuked? You just can't read any drivel up in the guise of science and pass it off as facts.
If stating "you can't see beyond your nose" is what you called "resort to expletives" sorry for that. I never meant it that way.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 1:43pm On Feb 03, 2019
Blakjewelry:

see as you end up trying to confuse yourself? you used the word shower in your Google search hence that is what you get. if all meteor as you said ends as meteor shower, shooting star or falling star as you say and then tell me have you ever come across the word asteroid crater? perhaps you are more learned than the people that coin the word meteor crater.

I have tried to simply it but maybe you just want to argue. when these solid mass are in space, they are classified and called their individual names based on their size, mass, point of origin etc. but once they are in the atmosphere, what we now observe is a meteor, if you want to know the type of meteor whether is a meteoroid, micrometeoroid, asteroid or comet etc that is at your own discretion. now the said meteor can end up as meteor shower, airburst or bolide or meteorite and mind you and airburst still left small particles meteorites most times not big enough to cause crater .

also how meteor ends up depends on it parent material I.e what it was before entering the atmosphere.

so all in all I did not say meteoroid cause meteor rather meteor is the general terms for any of the aforementioned objects flying the atmosphere.

Smh... grin

Here is a wiki entry:

When a meteoroid, comet, or asteroid
enters Earth's atmosphere at a speed typically in excess of 20 km/s (72,000 km/h; 45,000 mph),
aerodynamic heating of that object produces a streak of light, both from the glowing object and the trail of glowing particles that it leaves in its wake. This phenomenon is called a
meteor or "shooting star".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 2:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
Blakjewelry:

scroll down to where the writer tries to explain meteorite and bolide. he making same mistake as you, after defining meteor as a small bodies that disintegrate in the atmosphere, when trying to explain bolide he said bolide are "meteors" which exploded.
https://www.universetoday.com/36398/what-is-the-difference-between-asteroids-and-meteorites/

also see this the term constantly used on the superbolide that occur in Russia is meteor.

check the term constantly used.

even if you want to Google search, what you will get is Chelyabinsk meteor. so maybe everybody is wrong and you are right

Bro, take it easy grin

You are the one who is confused here.

Chelyabinsk meteor is still referring to the streak of light (meteor).

Here is the Chelyabinsk meteor wiki page:

The Chelyabinsk meteor was a
superbolide caused by an approximately 20 m (66 ft) near-Earth asteroid

The Chelyabinsk meteor was not an object. It was just an asteroid causing a superbolide (extremely bright) meteor.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by BluntBoy(m): 2:49pm On Feb 03, 2019
@Blakjewelry, here is also a part of the Chelyabinsk meteor Wiki page:

The visible phenomenon due to the passage of an asteroid or meteoroid through the atmosphere is called a
meteor . [26] If the object reaches the ground, then it is called a meteorite . During the Chelyabinsk meteoroid's traversal, there was a bright object trailing smoke, then an air burst (explosion) that caused a powerful
blast wave.

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Blakjewelry(m): 2:52pm On Feb 03, 2019
BluntBoy:

Bro, take it easy grin

You are the one who is confused here.

Chelyabinsk meteor is still referring to the streak of light (meteor).

Here is the Chelyabinsk meteor wiki page:

The Chelyabinsk meteor was a
superbolide caused by an approximately 20 m (66 ft) near-Earth asteroid

The Chelyabinsk meteor was not an object. It was just an asteroid causing a superbolide (extremely bright) meteor.
now I see you are not confused rather you are looking for who to confuse. I try to explained that meteor is the phenomenon we observe when the said object start burning in the atmosphere irrespective of it source whether be it meteoroid, asteroid or comet, you still try to twist and turn.

why not use Chelyabinsk asteroid or Chelyabinsk superbolide

in your original claim you said all meteor are from meteoroid which I keep disputing, now you are still referencing an article that use the term Chelyabinsk meteor and now you are trying to confuse the whole world that the Chelyabinsk meteor was cause by and asteroid when I have explain same before. are you sure you are a science guy or you just decided to read up some articles.

now go back to last mention and compare to my last two post.

according to you the Chelyabinsk meteor refers to the streak of light "meteor and it was cause by an asteroid, parent material and it ends up as a superbolide all these are already contained in my previous explanation but you still want to argue right now I don't even know the part you disputing.

if you disputing what I said because I use the term meteor, please show me an article that discuss the Chelyabinsk meteor without the term meteor, if you can do that I will rest my case, and mind you the event happened in the day so no trail of light was observed they only saw a fireball and trail of smoke.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Blakjewelry(m): 2:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
BluntBoy:
@Blakjewelry, here is also a part of the Chelyabinsk meteor Wiki page:

The visible phenomenon due to the passage of an asteroid or meteoroid through the atmosphere is called a
meteor . [26] If the object reaches the ground, then it is called a meteorite . During the Chelyabinsk meteoroid's traversal, there was a bright object trailing smoke, then an air burst (explosion) that caused a powerful
blast wave.

then how is what you posted now different from what I have been trying to explain.

I wrote that irrespective of origin be it asteroid, meteoroid or comet once it is in atmosphere burning it called meteor hence my use in the Chelyabinsk case which is related to the topic this thread
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:25am On Mar 17, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
"Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah--from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities--and also the vegetation in the land." Genesis 19:24-25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEJ1sZxjA4
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 8:41am On Apr 25, 2019
The total destruction of these cities is a FACT people choose to ignore.

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:41am On Sep 27, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

Quote from biased Forbes (by the way I love reading from the confused skeptics/atheists on this sort of thingsmiley ) https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2018/11/29/is-the-biblical-destruction-of-sodom-and-gomorrah-based-on-a-real-life-impact-event/

[b]"The region was occupied by humans for at least 2,500 years until around 1,700 BCE, when its farming settlements and cities were suddenly abandoned and people did not return to the region for 600 to 700 years. Tall el-Hammam was apparently destroyed, as the remains of mud-brick walls suggest. Pieces of pottery recovered and dated to the same time of the destruction of the city show evidence of intense heat. The outer layers of the vessels and other objects made from clay partially melted, forming a glassy coat."

"In an alternative scenario, researchers propose that a comet, composed mostly of ice, may have exploded above the desert. The generated heat burst, an estimated 3,600°F, would be sufficient to destroy the city, melt the artifacts and rocks, but leave no crater behind. Layers of spherules, used in the study to argue for a large explosion, can also form slowly over time. As shooting stars disintegrate in Earth's atmosphere, the spherules fall from the sky and can become concentrated in layers by geological processes, like erosion and deposition."
[/b]

They failed to explain the origin of the brimstones. Comets/asteroids do not produce concentrated Brimstones.

Video evidence o the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 3:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
"Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah--from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities--and also the vegetation in the land." Genesis 19:24-25
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 6:33am On Oct 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

Quote from biased Forbes (by the way I love reading from the confused skeptics/atheists on this sort of thingsmiley ) https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2018/11/29/is-the-biblical-destruction-of-sodom-and-gomorrah-based-on-a-real-life-impact-event/

[b]"The region was occupied by humans for at least 2,500 years until around 1,700 BCE, when its farming settlements and cities were suddenly abandoned and people did not return to the region for 600 to 700 years. Tall el-Hammam was apparently destroyed, as the remains of mud-brick walls suggest. Pieces of pottery recovered and dated to the same time of the destruction of the city show evidence of intense heat. The outer layers of the vessels and other objects made from clay partially melted, forming a glassy coat."

"In an alternative scenario, researchers propose that a comet, composed mostly of ice, may have exploded above the desert. The generated heat burst, an estimated 3,600°F, would be sufficient to destroy the city, melt the artifacts and rocks, but leave no crater behind. Layers of spherules, used in the study to argue for a large explosion, can also form slowly over time. As shooting stars disintegrate in Earth's atmosphere, the spherules fall from the sky and can become concentrated in layers by geological processes, like erosion and deposition."
[/b]

They failed to explain the origin of the brimstones. Comets/asteroids do not produce concentrated Brimstones.

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 9:27am On Oct 26, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 8:13am On Oct 31, 2019
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 4:28pm On Nov 08, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 08, 2019
Blakjewelry:

2013 an asteroid entered into earth atmosphere due to it angle of flight an exploded close to some 30km in the sky. witness said it was brighter than the sun, and tg shock wave produced by the blast destroy more than 7000 building and injured more than 1700 and smell of gun power "surfur" filled the air later.
now imagine if it has happened any closer to the ground the whole city would have been wipe out. there was no previous warning, ancients are fond of attributing anything they don't understand to the gods. lightening, thunder, earthquake etc

You forgot to explain the three meteorologists/ astronomers that came to warn Lot.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 9:09am On Nov 18, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 2:18pm On Nov 26, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by budaatum: 5:11pm On Nov 26, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Meanwhile...

Here is an article on one of the scientists:

Scientist dismissed after soft tissue found on dinosaur fossil
https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evolution-human-origins/scientist-dismissed-after-soft-tissue-found-dinosaur-fossil-001906
So, a dodgy scientist with an agenda!
Does this not dispute your claim?

1 Like

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 8:51am On Nov 30, 2019
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 7:07am On Dec 02, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 12:43pm On Dec 05, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by Auki: 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

The Lord of the Heavens and Earth destroyed them and it is He that Mankind should surrender their wills to not Jesus as you daily blaspheme. Your God and God of your forefathers from the beginning is one and unto to Him all worship should be purely directed to while Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Muhammad, Noah are to be respected not elevated to divinity.
Re: Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? by OpenYourEyes1: 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
GOD or nature?

[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Right Hands Keep Shaking Since I Had An Encounter With God. / Satan Has Been Allowed To Be Worshipped Openly In Washington DC As A Brave Lady / Jehovah Or Yahweh Is Not The Same As Allah! Beware

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.