Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage (658 Views)

It Is High Time Nigeria Legalize Same Sex Marriage, Gay Clubs,bar And Events / Which Of These Will You Like Government To Legalize / Tanzania: Police Arrest 10 Suspected Gays For Organizing Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 29, 2019
Angola on Wednesday (23 January) became the first country this year to decriminalize gay sex.

Lawmakers finally implemented a bill to overhaul to the southwestern African country’s 1886 penal code. They dropped a ‘vices against nature’ provision which was historically used to prosecute against gay sex.

The new code also bans discrimination based on sexual orientation in employment.

It passed with 155 votes in favor, one against, and seven abstentions. The country’s ruling party said the new code was ‘genuinely Angolan’.

Angola’s previous penal code was written the Portuguese when they ruled the country in 1886.

Discrimination and stigma is a problem in the country. There is no legal recognition of same-sex couples.

In 2018, LGBTI Angolans celebrated a major win when the government legally recognized an LGBTI rights group, Iris Angola.

Around 70 countries worldwide still criminalize gay sex.

Last year saw landmark decriminalization in India and Trinidad and Tobago.

India’s Supreme Court ruled the anti-gay British-era penal code, similar to Angola’s, was unconstitutional.

Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Josnac(m): 11:35am On Jan 29, 2019
Chai my dear Africa is headed for the gallows.

So how will gay couples explain to any unfortunate kid they adopted that his/her mother is a man when they obviously see different mothers coming to pick their mates from school

Too much of everything is bad oo...why can't we just learn technological innovation from the whites and leave the pervasive aspects of their civilization alone??
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by rusher14: 11:36am On Jan 29, 2019
Let me read the comments.

grin

1 Like

Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Josnac(m): 11:42am On Jan 29, 2019
Op provide your source na
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Guapismo: 11:45am On Jan 29, 2019
Nice development

In Falz's voice ; who are we to crucify the homosexual.

1 Like

Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by kazyhm(m): 11:45am On Jan 29, 2019
grin
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Guapismo: 11:47am On Jan 29, 2019
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Ranchhoddas: 11:49am On Jan 29, 2019
Just look at that image. Nonsense.
Muttleylaff people them.
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by MuttleyLaff: 12:01pm On Jan 29, 2019
Ranchhoddas:
Just look at that image.
Nonsense.
Muttleylaff people them.
Lukatew hating on two easy going, ordinary consenting adults, minding their own businesses enjoying a life long caring, faithful, committed, truthful, honest, loving each other lasting that's life-long and loyal same-sex relationship, that has no detriment to another person, no betrayal of another person, or no cheating on another person, and not harmful to an object or neighbour. Cover your face in shame.

1 Like

Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by NUJABEZ: 12:03pm On Jan 29, 2019
I know many people that will move to Angola.
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Ranchhoddas: 2:23pm On Jan 29, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Lukatew hating on two easy going, ordinary consenting adults, minding their own businesses enjoying a life long caring, faithful, committed, truthful, honest, loving each other lasting that's life-long and loyal same-sex relationship, that has no detriment to another person, no betrayal of another person, or no cheating on another person, and not harmful to an object or neighbour. Cover your face in shame.
Yes.
I'm very ashamed.
Re: Angola Becomes First African Nation To Legalize Same Sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 29, 2019
probably hunting for increased aid from the west smh

modified
Just read Decriminalized not Legalized two different things..
one means you won't face jail time for being gay
the other means its legal/recognized by the law to have a partner of same-sex

I support the first anyhow..
but they still have to deal with societal stigma tho, i wonder what plans they have in place to deal with such

(1) (Reply)

Why Today's Relationships Don't Last / Help My Fiancee Please. / Checkout Crazy Facts About Kissing You Never Knew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.