Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) (1329 Views)

"Captain Jack": A Val Story Written By John Mfon / When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 30, 2019
Black Val

Tayo turned on her bed as the morning rays entered her room, she murmured some curses and opened her eyes before turning to her bedside clock. She smiled happily when she saw the time, in two hours at exactly ten in the morning, she would get to see her boyfriend.

It wasn't the fact that the day was Valentine and they get to spend it together that arouse her, it was the fact that she was going to see him after three days. She couldn't grasp the rationale behind his allude that they do without each other for three days and only get to see after the three days, when they live like about just thirty minutes away from each other but out of wanting to please him, she had acquiesced.

The three days had elapsed and it turned out they get to see on valantine. 'Who knows, he might be planning a surprise for me and doesn't want me to spoil it by coming to his place before val, he might actually want to propose,' she thought excitedly to herself as she jumped out of bed.

"Good morning Dad, Good morning mom and happy Valentine," she greeted her parents as she joined them in the dinning area for breakfast. "Hey Tade, what's up?" she turned to her younger brother who gave her a thumbs up.

"Morning honey," her mother replied while her father nodded. "I checked on you when I woke up, but you were still deeply asleep, I guess it was due to your staying up late last night." She smiled at her.

She nodded, taking her seat beside her mother impatiently. She toyed with her food, not really eating it out of excitement and anticipations. She was already weening how val with her boyfriend would go, what her reaction would be when he propose and the type of ring to expect, she sure do deserve a proposal after four years of dating.

"What's wrong Olatayo?" Her mother asked, observing her lackadaisical attitude to her meal. She could tell something was up right from when she was walking towards them, her steppings and the tone of her greetings definitely gave her away.

"Nothing mom, I'm fine," she replied grinning from ear to ear.

"Why don't I believe you?" her mother laughed. She knew whatever it was, there was no cause for alarm.

"Nothing really mom," she smiled her eyes darting between her parents and brother. "It's just that I think Josh might propose today."

The table went silent, her parents shared glances and her brother gave her the 'are you serious right now' look, but she was too happy to notice.

"Olatayo darling," her mother coughed. "How sure are you he would propose?"

Tayo flaunted her left hand, beaming with happiness. "Well, he requested we shouldn't get in touch till val, three days ago and with the look in his eyes that day, I could tell he was planning something special and he knows nothing would be so special to me right now than him proposing."

Her brother shook his head, obviously thinking his sister has lost it. "Dear sister, guys don't think like you ladies do, dude might not even think of proposing in months."

Tayo scowled at her brother. "Shut the f*ck up."

"How old are you? Just twenty-five and you are so over the moon about marriage."

Tayo hissed. Sometimes she wondered if her brother understands the meaning of being six years older than someone. "Will you kindly shut it, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to mom and Dad."

Her father laughed, he never gets tired of the two of them playing cat and dog. He knew it was a facade, the two can't do without each other. "Olatade, it's enough, let your sister be." He turned to his daughter, "Josh is a very good guy, if he proposes, I totally agree and if not, give him more time."

Tayo frowned, she didn't want to think of him not proposing, no he would propose, he has to. She pushed back her food and stood. "Mom, Dad, I need to prepare for I and Josh's outing, I love you guys."

She eyed her brother and walked up the stairs without bothering to wait for her parents reply. When she's back with the ring, she would listen to them.

Thirty minutes later, she admired the straight red, knee length backless gown she was putting on which hung tightly to her curvy figure as she stood in front of her dressing mirror. At twenty five, she would gladly say she has the right figure. Dark, yes that shinning dark skin, average height, dark long hair which she had tinted to give her a blonde look and her rare deep blue eyes, what more could she ask for. She gave her reflection one last look and slipped into her favorite silver heels before walking out of her room. she waved her parents goodbye as she walked past them in the living room.

She walked majestically into her car and put on the car stereo, shaking her body and singing along to Davido's Nwa baby that was blasting from the stereo.

Few minutes later, she parked her Lexus RS 350 in Josh's garage and half running, half walking made her way to his front door. She knocked the door which was answered by Josh's sister.

"Hi Juan, how are you doing? Happy Valentine." She greeted, oblivious to the girl's sad look.

The girl didn't reply her greetings but merely paved way for her to pass. Tayo hissed mentally, it wasn't her fault the girl didn't have a date to go out with, was it? But she could care less, she was only there for Josh, she wouldn't let his sister's bad mood affect her.

She eyed the back view of the girl who had sat down on a couch staring into space amd made her way upstairs to Josh's room. A minute later, she was back downstairs with a worried look on her face.

"I'm sorry Juan, but do you have any idea where Josh is, he isn't in his bedroom or bathroom." She asked impatiently getting annoyed, how could Josh just go out knowing she would definitely be in his house soon.

The girl stood up and nodded. She dashed into one of the rooms and came back, holding a letter. "Yeah, he asked me to give you this when he was going out," she said dully, giving her the paper.

Tayo hastily tore the paper, busk to go and meet him wherever he was and give him a peice of her mind for playing her. She fell to the ground on reading the content of the paper, one drop, two drops, her tears fell on the paper and turned to wailing.

Minutes later, she wiped her tears and read the content of the letter again. Believing she read wrong, she read it out loud expecting Juan to correct her.

Hey babe, I know you are mad at me for suggesting our three days break, but I was only trying to busk you for this day. Trust me babe, it was very selfish of me, I should have let you go since, but I couldn't, I want to hold on to you, to never let you go.

Babe, I've been diagnosed with heart problem for over a year and I knew I would soon be gone, it was then I should have broken up with you, but I couldn't. You are everything I needed and more, breaking up with you would take my life even before the disease do.

I'm sorry for being selfish, but I can't blame me, you are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I couldn't just let go. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I know you bae, you would start worrying over me and I don't want it, I don't want you to stop living your best life just because of me, no babe, I want the best for you.

Mi amor like I always call you, if you ever get this letter, it means only one thing, I'm dead. I know you would cry but don't cry too much, I want you to move on and find love again.

I didn't propose even after giving me all the hints that you are ready because I didn't want you to have a dead fiance, a dead boyfriend is better than a dead fiance. It's better for people to say 'her boyfriend died' rather than 'her fiance died.'

I love you Olatayo Adriana Etobo, always and forever, even in death. Happy black Valentine.
Signed
Josh.

She looked up at Juan, expecting her to say she read the wrong letter or she read wrongly, but the girl's own tears simply begin to flow as she nodded.

"He died yesterday after writing this letter. I wanted to tell you when his health deteriorated two days ago, but he begged me not, he didn't want you to worry."

Tayo increased the volume of her wailing as mucus started dripping from her nose. How could he? How could he leave her alone? Why didn't he tell her? Why did he have to suffer alone? How could her day of proposal turn to something else? What proposal? she doesn't want him to propose anymore, she only wants him to come back to her, to tell her he was only playing a prank on her, she wouldn't mind, she would forgive him.

She looked at the girl again, maybe her look would give her away, maybe she would tell her it was only a prank she planned to play on her with Josh, but one look at the girl said otherwise. She broke down in tears again as Juan wrapped her arms around her in comfort, her own tears mirroring hers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by EvaJael(f): 8:08am On Jan 30, 2019
H'aunty Kim.

This one is sad o cry cry cry cry
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by skubido(m): 8:35am On Jan 30, 2019
Haaaaa,

This wan hard oo, the day she will never forget in her life
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Ann2012(f): 8:43am On Jan 30, 2019
Heart wrenching embarassed

Well done ma'am
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by centoqoh(m): 9:16am On Jan 30, 2019
Really black Val!

Nicely delivered.

Suspense sustained.

My first point of thought was, Josh caught in d act; and second was, Josh has call it quits and bolted to abroad!
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by ennyj01(m): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2019
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

So painful, but I believe he should have told her even though... Yes she will be worried and scared, but her mind and heart will be ready for the worst...
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by damselposh(f): 4:15pm On Jan 30, 2019
Chai ya, black Val indeed
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by queenitee(f): 4:51pm On Jan 30, 2019
Sad story kim sad sad
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Thobiy(m): 7:17pm On Jan 30, 2019
Mhen, I Do Want To Say The Guy Is Selfish, But Kind Of Thought He Knew The Kind Of Girlfriend He Has.

Girls Too Dey Overthink!!!
Kimberlywest, Hope You Are Not In This Category Of Ladies?
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by uchesmith14: 9:56pm On Jan 31, 2019
So sad......!
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 01, 2019
EvaJael:
H'aunty Kim.

This one is sad o cry cry cry cry

Sad things happen dear embarassed
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2019
skubido:
Haaaaa,

This wan hard oo, the day she will never forget in her life

As in eh.

Unforgettable day. embarassed
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 01, 2019
Ann2012:
Heart wrenching embarassed

Well done ma'am

embarassed embarassed embarassed

Thanks dear.
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2019
centoqoh:
Really black Val!

Nicely delivered.

Suspense sustained.

My first point of thought was, Josh caught in d act; and second was, Josh has call it quits and bolted to abroad!

grin grin

I know inquisitive people would think that way.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 01, 2019
ennyj01:
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

So painful, but I believe he should have told her even though... Yes she will be worried and scared, but her mind and heart will be ready for the worst...

Tell her and she will blow things out of proportion. I think it's better this way.

Thanks for reading, Eni. grin

1 Like

Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 01, 2019
damselposh:
Chai ya, black Val indeed

embarassed Yes dear.
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 01, 2019
queenitee:
Sad story kim sad sad

embarassed Thanks dear.
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 01, 2019
Thobiy:
Mhen, I Do Want To Say The Guy Is Selfish, But Kind Of Thought He Knew The Kind Of Girlfriend He Has.

Girls Too Dey Overthink!!!
Kimberlywest, Hope You Are Not In This Category Of Ladies?

grin grin grin

That's how God created us.

I hope not.
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 01, 2019
uchesmith14:
So sad......!

Yes dear.
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by ennyj01(m): 8:04pm On Feb 01, 2019
KimberlyWest:

Tell her and she will blow things out of proportion. I think it's better this way.

Thanks for reading, Eni. grin
You are welcome wink wink
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by zyzxx(m): 8:28am On Feb 02, 2019
Kim worrithis now en
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 02, 2019
zyzxx:
Kim worrithis now en

grin A story.

1 Like

Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by kennyjam: 10:03am On Feb 02, 2019
more in to ur pen...Nice sad story
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by zyzxx(m): 12:56pm On Feb 02, 2019
KimberlyWest:

grin A story.
kim, happy birthday in advance
I decided to read love hiccup during the short break of 'Gohst of the past ' men! U did a very nice work there, I was addictive that I finished all the pages within 2
days, thanks for the good work. Twale to your level of imagination...
Don't just let me talk too much, I am just short of words
Re: Black Val (A Short Story by Oyebisi) by PrudySara(f): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2019
Aunty Kim why na, This is so sad....
Black Val indeed angry angry angry

(1) (Reply)

GOD Hand(publishing Process) / Oh No, Oh Yes! (short Story By Kayode Odusanya) / We Kiss Goodbye On A Silent Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.