Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie (319 Views)

We should invest in Education.Dr Ramon Adedoyin / WAEC Rating Highlights Dwindling Fortunes Of Education In South-west Nigeria / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 30, 2019
World-famous Nigerian author, Chimamanda Adichie, in a recent speech has listed 4 alternative forms of education youths can use to improve themselves.

Speaking at the Face of Okija beauty pageant, she asked youths to go beyond reading to pass exams.

"Education is not just what somebody teaches you in school, education is also about the effort you make. Reading is essential and not just reading for school exams, I mean reading outside what you are asked to. When I was growing up I read everything I could find, and of course, I grew up at a time when the internet was not at its ubiquitous presence as it is now."

She also asked the youth to use the internet to educate themselves everyday by activities such as watching educative online videos and taking free online classes.

"I know that the internet is here to stay, and I think the internet can be good or bad depending on how we use it.

"So, you can use the internet to waste your time, read stupid gossips online and you can get into meaningless arguments on Facebook or you can use your data to educate yourself.

"You can read quality newspapers online, watch a video that teaches you something. [Zikistmovement.com recommends using the YouTubeGo app to watch/download such videos, since the app reduces the data you’ll spend compared to the main YouTube app.] The internet is full of free classes that you can access easily."

She charged the youth to use such internet educational methods to learn everyday.

"Learn; think of each new day as an opportunity to lxearn something new."

Zikistmovement.com summarizes…

In summary, Chimanda Adichie listed four ways youth can educate themselves outside formal schooling.

1. By reading privately, not just to pass exams. You can find thousands of great free ebooks to download on the Project Gutenberg site. Equally, you can download free Kindle books from the 12 sites listed in this link.

2. By reading educational articles on the internet, not just stuff like celebrity gossip. For instance, you can find lots of educative topics by searching the archives of sites like www.Nairaland.com, www.igbodefender.com and www.ZikistMovement.com.

3. By watching educative online videos. You can do this cheaply by using the YouTubeGo app. You can find the app on Google Playstore or download the APK instead if you like.

4. By taking free online courses. For instance, Stanford University offers up to 178 free online courses you can chose from.

You could also try Udemy.

Last Word
Consider yourself a life-long student never stop learning’ I have a post graduate degree but I consider myself a student, a person who will always be eager to learn. I want to ask you to get much formal education…

– Chimamanda Adichie

Source: http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2019/01/30/4-alternative-forms-of-education-chimamanda-adichie/

Re: 4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 30, 2019
Lalasticlala you need to see this.
Re: 4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie by Sagewilliam(m): 3:40pm On Jan 30, 2019
Yeah the Internet is a very big citadel of learning.
I admonish lovers of education to use it wisely, not only for their own benefits but the society at large.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Alternative Forms Of Education – Dr Chimamanda Adichie by Tenn88: 3:46pm On Jan 30, 2019
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Life Transforming Secrets: Your Origin Now In This World / How To Study On Low Tuition In Canada Without IELTS / ASUU Strike Suspended: Gather Here If Your School Still Hasn't Resumed Freshers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.