Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

Christianity Is Not A Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is Not A Religion (398 Views)

Santeria: A Religion From Yoruba Practiced In North Caribbean, USA, Mexico / Atheist John Steinruken - "Why Christianity Is Great" / Atheism Is A Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity Is Not A Religion by amyblessed(f): 12:16pm On Jan 31, 2019
Christianity is not a religion. A religion can only inform you, but can never transform you. Christianity is a transformation that happens in the heart of a man which manifests in his character, making him or her detest sin and live a Christlike life, (a life that pleases God). That's why such a person is called a Christian, not merely the ritual of going to church, otherwise the Pharisees and Sadducees would have also been addressed as Christians because they go to Church more than anybody else, they are even the leaders of the church.
A religion can not transform a robber, a prostitute, a native doctor and generally, a sinner from his or her evil ways. It's only an encounter with Jesus that can transform such a person's life and make him turn a new leaf. Just like Saul's encounter with Jesus turned him completely into a new person character-wise. When you see anyone that is truly a Christian, it manifests in his or her character, that is when you can correctly say 'this is a Christian' not because he or she claims to be a Christian or goes to church. The character of Christ is what distinguishes a Christian from a religious person.
The disciples of Jesus were first called Christians in Antioch because of the Christlike life people saw them living.
The question is, are you a Christian or are you practicing religion?
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by otipoju(m): 1:33pm On Jan 31, 2019
I think you should first go and read the charactersitics of a religion then come back and tell us if chrisrianity is a religion or not.

2 Likes

Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by amyblessed(f): 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2019
otipoju:
I think you should first go and read the charactersitics of a religion then come back and tell us if chrisrianity is a religion or not.

When I say Christianity is not a religion, I mean its not all about playing religion, i.e being religious. A religious person goes to church, can even be a worker in the church, but if that person does not obey the word of God or the teachings of Christ as a Christian, then the person is just being religious, not really a Christian.
So Christianity may be categorised as one of the religions we have, but it's more of transformation of one's character than going to church, or claiming to be a Christian by mouth. Maybe I should tag it 'Christianity Is Not All About Religion'

2 Likes

Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by otipoju(m): 5:14pm On Jan 31, 2019
amyblessed:

When I say Christianity is not a religion, I mean its not all about playing religion, i.e being religious. A religious person goes to church, can even be a worker in the church, but if that person does not obey the word of God or the teachings of Christ as a Christian, then the person is just being religious, not really a Christian.
So Christianity may be categorised as one of the religions we have, but it's more of transformation of one's character than going to church, or claiming to be a Christian by mouth. Maybe I should tag it 'Christianity Is Not All About Religion'

I hear you. But in all religions there are those who are nominal members, those who are members for benefits and there are the real disciples.

That cliche Christianity is not a religion but a way of life is really illogical because at the core of any religion is a world view that influences intra and interpersonal relationships ....which is a way of life. Therefore every religion is a way of life or living that is distinct to other religions and expected among its adherents.

Hope you get what i am saying.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by amyblessed(f): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2019
otipoju:

I hear you. But in all religions there are those who are nominal members, those who are members for benefits and there are the real disciples.

That cliche Christianity is not a religion but a way of life is really illogical because at the core of any religion is a world view that influences intra and interpersonal relationships ....which is a way of life. Therefore every religion is a way of life or living that is distinct to other religions and expected among its adherents.

Hope you get what i am saying.

Shalom

Its alright, I understand your point, and I also hope you do understand mine. No need for much argument.
Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 31, 2019
amyblessed:
Christianity is not a religion. A religion can only inform you, but can never transform you. Christianity is a transformation that happens in the heart of a man which manifests in his character, making him or her detest sin and live a Christlike life, (a life that pleases God). That's why such a person is called a Christian, not merely the ritual of going to church, otherwise the Pharisees and Sadducees would have also been addressed as Christians because they go to Church more than anybody else, they are even the leaders of the church.
A religion can not transform a robber, a prostitute, a native doctor and generally, a sinner from his or her evil ways. It's only an encounter with Jesus that can transform such a person's life and make him turn a new leaf. Just like Saul's encounter with Jesus turned him completely into a new person character-wise. When you see anyone that is truly a Christian, it manifests in his or her character, that is when you can correctly say 'this is a Christian' not because he or she claims to be a Christian or goes to church. The character of Christ is what distinguishes a Christian from a religious person.
The disciples of Jesus were first called Christians in Antioch because of the Christlike life people saw them living.
The question is, are you a Christian or are you practicing religion?

It is still religion, but you can say it is more than a religion. It is also a way of life.

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by Martinez19(m): 9:27pm On Jan 31, 2019
All these people that went to school but never took their dictionary seriously. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Christianity Is Not A Religion by amyblessed(f): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2019
Martinez19:
All these people that went to school but never took their dictionary seriously. cheesy

Thank you so much. But what matters is the content of my message not the topic. As long as the content of my message is correct, dont bother yourself about the heading.
Thanks all the same for your comment

(1) (Reply)

Pat Sam Adeyemi Is True Reflection Of how Jesus Wants His Shepherds To Lead. / Can Infinite Value Give Rise To Something Finite? / How Can A Christianised Nigeria Be Islamised?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.