Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm - Agriculture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm (192442 Views)

My Pepper Planting Challenge / Fresh Pepper Farm / My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2019
ideepaul:

I just hope I am not bothering u with 2 many questions! but i went 2 a nearby market I intend 2 sell d produce 2 and discussed wt d market women, they were all surprised 2 hear abt fresh chillies! dried chillies nd fresh habanero are d popular options here. pls could u explain hw u market them
I sell to mile 12. Your local market will prefer ripe ones
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 11:44am On Oct 31, 2019
My wife ate this red apple on Friday and threw the inner part with the seeds away,as I was cleaning area I saw the waste part germinating ..... I was surprised because we believed that Apple don't grow in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 11:57am On Oct 31, 2019
ogbongenet:
My wife ate this red apple on Friday and threw the inner part with the seeds away,as I was cleaning area I saw the waste part germinating ..... I was surprised because we believed that Apple don't grow in Nigeria..
it may grow but the tropical heat will affect it's growth and production,apples are temperate weather crop that can withstand frost like cabbage.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 31, 2019
ogbongenet:
The seed is like F2 fruits. Even you take it to the best climatic condition for it, the fruits produced will be deformed. It will take manipulation and patience to stabilize it. Therefore, propagate via grafting and budding. The best option is tissue culture.

okoroemeka:
it may grow but the tropical heat will affect it's growth and production,apples are temperate weather crop that can withstand frost like cabbage.
There are about 20 cultivars or more which grow in tropics. I know because I move these seedlings in every now and then. Presently, I am importing about 4 different cultivars for a pilot project. And it has been documented officially that apple grows in tropics. Nigeria and Uganda were used as case studies. Unfortunately, Nigeria is unserious. Imagine, the trials were conducted in Nigeria many years ago, and Kenya stole the idea. I keep laughing when people shout Kenya this, Kenya that. Uganda is far ahead of Kenya. But mark my words, the day Nigeria the giant of Africa steps back into the ring...she will reclaim her heavy weight title. Nigeria can never be defeated. Not even South Africa can defeat us. Ghana is a baby.

3 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2019
Biki2010:
We grow plenty cabbage. Probably because of their thickness, Cabbage leaves take in water very slowly which means your spray needs to stay on the leaves a little longer for it to be absorbed. One way we found to keep spray longer on the leaves is to use a suffurcant, in this case, vegetable oil.

So far, it has worked brilliantly for us.

We don't add a suffurcant when spraying
Cucumber because we haven't found it to be necessary, and infact, the last thing you want as a cucumber farmer is little patches of oil stain on your fruits.

No such concern with cabbage since you often have to remove 3 - 4 layers of leaves before you sell, so buyers absolutely see no sign of any oil stain.

At the end of the day, it comes down to understanding what you grow and devising specific solutions for specific plants. One size rarely fits all.

From your experience in cabbage farming, have you come across those with two ,even three heads, as in catapult style? I saw few among mine with 2 heads and are looking very OK.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Biki2010: 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2019
OluchiDelly:

From your experience in cabbage farming, have you come across those with two ,even three heads, as in catapult style? I saw few among mine with 2 heads and are looking very OK.

Yes, we get 2, 3 or 4-headed ones, with each head being the the size of an orange or slightly bigger. I have never really investigated why they turn out like that because we get so few of them - on average, may be one on every 400 plants. Not been a big problem for us. They are certainly edible.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 8:29pm On Oct 31, 2019
Biki2010:

Yes, we get 2, 3 or 4-headed ones, with each head being the the size of an orange or slightly bigger. I have never really investigated why they turn out like that because we get so few of them - on average, may be one on every 400 plants. Not been a big problem for us. They are certainly edible.
Alright. What about the myth from our southern farmers that the heads will not fold during dry season. And that's the season our Hausas storm market with theirs despite the fact their weather is even hotter.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by potosky: 9:13pm On Oct 31, 2019
Is avenir f1 the same as yellow pepper?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 9:39pm On Oct 31, 2019
potosky:
Is avenir f1 the same as yellow pepper?
No, avenir its from green to red
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by potosky: 10:16pm On Oct 31, 2019
FMCASH:
No, avenir its from green to red
what is the real name for yellow pepper?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 11:08pm On Oct 31, 2019
potosky:
what is the real name for yellow pepper?

Cameroon pepper, nsuka pepper, big sun
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by potosky: 6:44am On Nov 01, 2019
FMCASH:

Cameroon pepper, nsuka pepper, big sun
thanks alot
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by pheonixdld2(m): 5:33pm On Nov 01, 2019
Oga Okoroemeka please how often do you harvest your Okros and how is it sold? Is it in small baskets, big basket, bags(which kg) and what prices sir. Are there any tips you can give to someone that wants to venture into it on a plot.
okoroemeka:
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2019
[quote author=pheonixdld2 post=83659678])we harvest every 3 days,one market woman has the harvesting franchise she comes every 3 or 2 days to harvest it herself,we measure with oga sorry black bag ₦1500 per bag,my top tips is to do more than one plot if you can sort irrigation out,okra is less stressful that cucumbers and don't see the reason to plant only one plot,one determined farmer can manage 3-4 plots comfortably.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 3:36am On Nov 02, 2019
[quote author=okoroemeka post=83661751][/quote] like how long can pepper stay in nursery grow bag
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by pheonixdld2(m): 3:48am On Nov 02, 2019
Thank you very much sir, please another question please: Like how many of this "oga sorry black bag" does she realise on each harvesting? On a plot of Okro how much do you make weekly? And how often do you irrigate(by hose) was it daily? considering you had not procured your drip then? Thank you sir your answer have been helpful in helping me plan properly. [quote author=okoroemeka post=83661751][/quote]
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 6:32am On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
like how long can pepper stay in nursery grow bag
we have done a batch that was topped and already flowering before it was transplanted out on the field,I guess it can stay 3 -4 weeks maximum before it became root bound.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 6:45am On Nov 02, 2019
pheonixdld2:
Thank you very much sir, please another question please: Like how many of this "oga sorry black bag" does she realise on each harvesting? On a plot of Okro how much do you make weekly? And how often do you irrigate(by hose) was it daily? considering you had not procured your drip then? Thank you sir your answer have been helpful in helping me plan properly.
asking questions like these and analysing agric profits using pen,paper and calculator always don't work,there are many factors and variables that can affect the profitability of a given farm land,you cannot use the output of another farm to compare what you will get,best thing for you to done is take your pen and paper and visit practical farms,see what they are doing,improve on their methods,use improved hybrid varieties,plant 2-3 different varieties on a small piece of land,note which one that yields more, check the production,this way you will get a more accurate figure of production on your type of soil,for example most of my farmer friends in edo state produces 100 bags of cucumbers from 50gram seed,but in our area the best you can get and be jumping up with joy is 50 bags,so you see the effect of soil type and topography on crops is huge,go and do a pilot test okra is an easy crop to grow unlike cucumbers.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 1:14pm On Nov 02, 2019
okoroemeka:
we have done a batch that was topped and already flowering before it was transplanted out on the field,I guess it can stay 3 -4 weeks maximum before it became root bound.
that means for someone who is in kwara it may not be advisable to do pepper nursery in December if one is to depend on rain as the only means of irrigation. Here rain does not start early as you have in the south
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
that means for someone who is in kwara it may not be advisable to do pepper nursery in December if one is to depend on rain as the only means of irrigation. Here rain does not start early as you have in the south
If you have borehole or well and you can do manual watering, you're still good to go
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 1:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
Psalm4kute:

If you have borehole or well and you can do manual watering, you're still good to go
the watering is not the problem but the pepper staying too long in the nursery bag while waiting for rain to start
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
the watering is not the problem but the pepper staying too long in the nursery bag while waiting for rain to start
You can use a larger grow bag with size like 14 x 14 inches. It will contain the pepper for even a year.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

You can use a larger grow bag with size like 14 x 14 inches. It will contain the pepper for even a year.
thanks for this. I just got the info from grow bag seller that it is of different sizes
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 5:33pm On Nov 02, 2019
for the trial i was planning 2 do on avenir, i changed my mind due to reported germination issues. as emmaachile recommended, i contacted a major rz zwaan seed seller some days ago abt their hybrid habanero seeds, he recommended loleza f1 and lengai! pls anyone with practical experience on d pro and con of rainy season cultivation of these varieties should help 'the boy'. I nor wan play unnecessary bet9ja with my money abeg! cc emmaachile, okoroemeka, pistotita, funsoul, fmcash, wizs2019 , ogbongenet
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
thanks for this. I just got the info from grow bag seller that it is of different sizes
pls did u get prices of some sizes coz what I am getting from producers here in Uyo is not funny
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 5:40pm On Nov 02, 2019
ideepaul:

pls did u get prices of some sizes coz what I am getting from producers here in Uyo is not funny
got the guy number here gabbyfarms 0803 223 7244 be careful tor. I have never deal with the guy before. He said the 14 inch by 14 inch is 20 per one
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 5:45pm On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
got the guy number here gabbyfarms 0803 223 7244 be careful tor. I have never deal with the guy before. He said the 14 inch by 14 inch is 20 per one
thank you sir! I will go for something smaller than 14 inches though
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2019
ideepaul:
for the trial i was planning 2 do on avenir, i changed my mind due to reported germination issues. as emmaachile recommended, i contacted a major rz zwaan seed seller some days ago abt their hybrid habanero seeds, he recommended loleza f1 and lengai! pls anyone with practical experience on d pro and con of rainy season cultivation of these varieties should help 'the boy'. I nor wan play unnecessary bet9ja with my money abeg! cc emmaachile, okoroemeka, pistotita, funsoul, fmcash, wizs2019 , ogbongenet
Go for the afadja (red) and loleza (yellow) instead. They are good for open farming. I am expecting some prices from a dealer this evening.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by DeLaRue: 7:38pm On Nov 02, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Alright. What about the myth from our southern farmers that the heads will not fold during dry season. And that's the season our Hausas storm market with theirs despite the fact their weather is even hotter.

It's not a myth. Day and Night temperature that is consistently above 32 and 28 degrees respectively can lead to head not forming. During the hot season, the South experiences these conditions.

While day time tempetature in the North often exceeds that in the South, many parts of the North experience cooler night temperature than we have in the South. It is the cooler night temperature that enables their cabbages to form head.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 8:01pm On Nov 02, 2019
DeLaRue:

It's not a myth. Day and Night temperature that is consistently above 32 and 28 degrees respectively can lead to head not forming. During the hot season, the South experiences these conditions.

While day time tempetature in the North often exceeds that in the South, many parts of the North experience cooler night temperature than we have in the South. It is the cooler night temperature that enables their cabbages to form head.
Hmmn, the cabbage C.E.O himself has spoken. You just unravelled a "mystery" for me. God bless you bro.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by aquila3: 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2019
Biki2010:
We grow plenty cabbage. Probably because of their thickness, Cabbage leaves take in water very slowly which means your spray needs to stay on the leaves a little longer for it to be absorbed. One way we found to keep spray longer on the leaves is to use a suffurcant, in this case, vegetable oil.

So far, it has worked brilliantly for us.

We don't add a suffurcant when spraying
Cucumber because we haven't found it to be necessary, and infact, the last thing you want as a cucumber farmer is little patches of oil stain on your fruits.

No such concern with cabbage since you often have to remove 3 - 4 layers of leaves before you sell, so buyers absolutely see no sign of any oil stain.

At the end of the day, it comes down to understanding what you grow and devising specific solutions for specific plants. One size rarely fits all.
pls sir,what variety do you grow.thanks
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 8:24pm On Nov 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Go for the afadja (red) and loleza (yellow) instead. They are good for open farming. I am expecting some prices from a dealer this evening.
thanks for d advice sir, hoping 2 get info abt prices from u 2 as I was told somtin slightly above 2k per 100 seeds. is d loleza nd afadja as hot as they hype them 2 be?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (61) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.