Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm - Agriculture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm (192995 Views)

My Pepper Planting Challenge / Fresh Pepper Farm / My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 8:27pm On Nov 02, 2019
ideepaul:
for the trial i was planning 2 do on avenir, i changed my mind due to reported germination issues. as emmaachile recommended, i contacted a major rz zwaan seed seller some days ago abt their hybrid habanero seeds, he recommended loleza f1 and lengai! pls anyone with practical experience on d pro and con of rainy season cultivation of these varieties should help 'the boy'. I nor wan play unnecessary bet9ja with my money abeg! cc emmaachile, okoroemeka, pistotita, funsoul, fmcash, wizs2019 , ogbongenet
Oga delarue, ur advice is also needed o abeg
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 11:08pm On Nov 02, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
that means for someone who is in kwara it may not be advisable to do pepper nursery in December if one is to depend on rain as the only means of irrigation. Here rain does not start early as you have in the south
if you don't have means to irrigate your crops you don't have any business doing vegetable farming,the dry season is when prices go up and that is when u do pepper and garden egg nursery to harvest doing rainy season when prices of pepper will be up and away.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 11:09pm On Nov 02, 2019
Only buy expensive seed with your spare cash,
ideepaul:
for the trial i was planning 2 do on avenir, i changed my mind due to reported germination issues. as emmaachile recommended, i contacted a major rz zwaan seed seller some days ago abt their hybrid habanero seeds, he recommended loleza f1 and lengai! pls anyone with practical experience on d pro and con of rainy season cultivation of these varieties should help 'the boy'. I nor wan play unnecessary bet9ja with my money abeg! cc emmaachile, okoroemeka, pistotita, funsoul, fmcash, wizs2019 , ogbongenet

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
ideepaul:
I don't think I can fork out ₦23,000+ for 1000 pepper seeds,we will stubbornly try avenir if it falls to germinate our backup will be efia@₦1500 for 1000 seeds,if it is topped and managed properly it will give close to similar yields like hybrids,we are harvesting it now and we are seeing the potential,if you want to plant 5000 pepper stands and must do nursery of 8-10,000 seeds you can now see the reason why many farmers cannot simply afford RZ seeds

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Cocoboms(m): 12:25am On Nov 03, 2019
I'm currently trailing Loleza f1 and it has poor germination rate as well - about 25% (At least the batch of seed I bought from d company). So only buy if you can afford to cushion lose from expensive seeds.

ideepaul:

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 7:06am On Nov 03, 2019
Cocoboms:
I'm currently trailing Loleza f1 and it has poor germination rate as well - about 25% (At least the batch of seed I bought from d company). So only buy if you can afford to cushion lose from expensive seeds.

what is going on na! dz seed germination issue z a serious turn off. so after soaking in warm water,growing them in protected zones, suffering to fumigate, nd wasting my money, I can't get up to 60% on hybrids? nd funny enough, I can surpass dt % on local seeds extracted and dried for planting!...my major concern z germination, extreme pungency, good plant growth nd yield. can anyone help out?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 7:09am On Nov 03, 2019
FMCASH:
Only buy expensive seed with your spare cash,
pls sir could u throw more light on this nd d reasoning behind ur assertion
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 7:22am On Nov 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
I don't think I can fork out ₦23,000+ for 1000 pepper seeds,we will stubbornly try avenir if it falls to germinate our backup will be efia@₦1500 for 1000 seeds,if it is topped and managed properly it will give close to similar yields like hybrids,we are harvesting it now and we are seeing the potential,if you want to plant 5000 pepper stands and must do nursery of 8-10,000 seeds you can now see the reason why many farmers cannot simply afford RZ seeds
its not like I am only interested in expensive seeds, even if I see seeds of #100 dt fits into my plan nd objectives, I wd gladly purchase them. d avenir 5g pack has d worst review of all times nd d 50g pack z far beyond my needs!...if u knw a gd seed even if local dt is extremely pungent and high yielding for d rainy season, I am willing 2 purchase
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 7:30am On Nov 03, 2019
ideepaul:

its not like I am only interested in expensive seeds, even if I see seeds of #100 dt fits into my plan nd objectives, I wd gladly purchase them. d avenir 5g pack has d worst review of all times nd d 50g pack z far beyond my needs!...if u knw a gd seed even if local dt is extremely pungent and high yielding for d rainy season, I am willing 2 purchase
go for Efia,
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 03, 2019
ideepaul:

I have had batches of habanero Avenir with over 95% germination rate despite all the complaints above. You are not suppose to soak treated seeds. It does not make sense because they have been treated. But handling and storing weakens these seeds. It means the seeds are of low quality due to poor storage, or the seeds were not matured before they were harvested. And soaking in water has like 5% - 80% effect on the seeds. But you risk having fast infected seedlings if you do not treat the seeds or the young seedlings. If I have to soak seeds, I do not use just water, I use different solutions and retain seeds in them. Duration seeds are soaked in the solution are determined based on what I want to achieve. There are concepts for seed treatment. These things are really wide that I dont know where to start.

All these seeds, you cannot predict the batch which is going to be ok because they dont "send" you. After all, they are subsidized seeds. There is no way you will buy assured batches and have problem with germination rate. There us no way RZ seeds for N.America will not have over 95% germination rate. The company representing RZ here is also hustling, and not real RZ. It is only East West that has strong affiliation with the parent company. Even Agrotropic representing Technisem cant be compared with East West. I can still vouch for East West.

It depends on your mission. Is your time valuable?
If you have enough time to spend on your farm, you can continue trying many of these local seeds. If you have a real project and you have a target, you better start looking beyond that.

Brother, when you get to a stage, you will understand the value of time. When you see tomato money spinning within a period of time, you just want to get on the vehicle and roll along. For example, you know that you have to sow seeds consistently every 2 weeks from November to March so you can cover acres and produce all through rainy season till August. If you buy any batch with poor germination rate, you are screwed. You will never take the risk of patronizing these brands. In fact, do you know what I do? I go further to get the main guy in charge of my seeds and ask for the latest batch. It has to be 99% to 100%. And I ask for organics seeds because I want to treat them myself with powerful natural enzymes and not chemicals used by these seed companies. I prefer to pay more for the service of getting me most recent batches, and I do not mind spending on DHL to move mg seeds in. And I also pay for tax or what ever. My seed come with certificates.

Will these local companies listen to me if I make special requests? Of course not, "dem no send me". So, I have decided not to send dem too.

It depends on what you want to do. For now, get your pilot right. I can bet it with you that after perfecting it, and you know how much you are going to make....no one will tell you to ditch these local seeds. Mark my words. It is because you arent sure of the outcome you cannot make up your mind now. If you see any farmer who uses expensive seeds, you better hold to that farmer if he allows you to learn from him. That which is making him use those expensive seeds says a lot about him.

But when you see a farmer hustling and trying to manage what is known to give headaches; hmmmm......perhaps, that fellow has not perfected the act. You may even be better than the fellow. Lol. Nairaland is funny bro. So, instead of just listening to me or to anyone, pick every kind of seeds you can. Buy all if you can. Split them and see which one is good for you. Compare all. And you return here to give recommendation. From what I am reading, almost everyone here (maybe including me) cannot help you. Why? Some can give you assurance that may not work with you. Like me, I can assure you of a cultivar, and it may not make sense to you now because you have not seen the reason to spend so much. Another person may be telling you to use this and that.....but the truth is that the fellow is also not sure of what he is saying. Why dont you take your destiny in your hand? Go ahead and do it. Just do it.

I want you to create your own thread and teach people from your mistakes. I encourage you to be a leader too. But I know where you are likely to end. I have read your past posts and I know how you think. It is why I have used this approach to respond to your question.

Good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 11:22am On Nov 03, 2019
ideepaul:

pls sir could u throw more light on this nd d reasoning behind ur assertion
germination sometimes are 50/50
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 11:24am On Nov 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
go for Efia,
if its south west, efia its not ideal for raining season
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ANOCETS: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Now that things are at cross road what is the way out for farmers ...especially southwest (Osun, Ogun, Oyo)..

Please I also need recommendation on
Sombo and tattasai

CC okoroemeka , emmaachile cocoboms , FMCASH , Pistotita , and others
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 2:54pm On Nov 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
we have done a batch that was topped and already flowering before it was transplanted out on the field,I guess it can stay 3 -4 weeks maximum before it became root bound.
which size of nursery bag did you use for this
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
FMCASH:
if its south west, efia its not ideal for raining season
we will do Efia nursery in 2 weeks time to target Easter production by then the rainfall will be minimal until August-september, before than we must have smiled to the bank,as my Calabar friend says(ke me ken sum Bo)if the boat want to capsize let it do so I don't have anything in the boat.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
Olaleyeabdullah:
which size of nursery bag did you use for this
not nursery bag,just ordinary black handless nylon that market women use @₦100 for 100 pieces,but perforated holes on the bottom.finding that original nursery bag can sometimes be a pain in the ass.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
we will do Efia nursery in 2 weeks time to target Easter production by then the rainfall will be minimal until August-september, before than we must have smiled to the bank,as my Calabar friend says(ke me ken sum Bo)if the boat want to capsize let it do so I don't have anything in the boat.
Pls sir, I'd like you to help me identify.. what type of pepper is this?? Rodo or tatashe

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 3:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
ANOCETS:
Now that things are at cross road what is the way out for farmers ...especially southwest (Osun, Ogun, Oyo)..

Sombo and tattasai

I can remember one year we were having serious problems germinating avenir seeds,we noticed that the seed need very warm temperatures to come up,so we did the nursery in trays that are 2-3 inches high,put them inside a cupboard and lit a lantern inside the cupboard to generate heat after 5 days they started germinating,we got the tip from one of our casual workers that has worked in cannabis farms in Cameroon,he said that how they germinate stubborn cannabis seeds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 3:44pm On Nov 03, 2019
Pistotita:

I have had batches of habanero Avenir with over 95% germination rate despite all the complaints above. You are not suppose to soak treated seeds. It does not make sense because they have been treated. But handling and storing weakens these seeds. It means the seeds are of low quality due to poor storage, or the seeds were not matured before they were harvested. And soaking in water has like 5% - 80% effect on the seeds. But you risk having fast infected seedlings if you do not treat the seeds or the young seedlings. If I have to soak seeds, I do not use just water, I use different solutions and retain seeds in them. Duration seeds are soaked in the solution are determined based on what I want to achieve. There are concepts for seed treatment. These things are really wide that I dont know where to start.

All these seeds, you cannot predict the batch which is going to be ok because they dont "send" you. After all, they are subsidized seeds. There is no way you will buy assured batches and have problem with germination rate. There us no way RZ seeds for N.America will not have over 95% germination rate. The company representing RZ here is also hustling, and not real RZ. It is only East West that has strong affiliation with the parent company. Even Agrotropic representing Technisem cant be compared with East West. I can still vouch for East West.

It depends on your mission. Is your time valuable?
If you have enough time to spend on your farm, you can continue trying many of these local seeds. If you have a real project and you have a target, you better start looking beyond that.

Brother, when you get to a stage, you will understand the value of time. When you see tomato money spinning within a period of time, you just want to get on the vehicle and roll along. For example, you know that you have to sow seeds consistently every 2 weeks from November to March so you can cover acres and produce all through rainy season till August. If you buy any batch with poor germination rate, you are screwed. You will never take the risk of patronizing these brands. In fact, do you know what I do? I go further to get the main guy in charge of my seeds and ask for the latest batch. It has to be 99% to 100%. And I ask for organics seeds because I want to treat them myself with powerful natural enzymes and not chemicals used by these seed companies. I prefer to pay more for the service of getting me most recent batches, and I do not mind spending on DHL to move mg seeds in. And I also pay for tax or what ever. My seed come with certificates.

Will these local companies listen to me if I make special requests? Of course not, "dem no send me". So, I have decided not to send dem too.

It depends on what you want to do. For now, get your pilot right. I can bet it with you that after perfecting it, and you know how much you are going to make....no one will tell you to ditch these local seeds. Mark my words. It is because you arent sure of the outcome you cannot make up your mind now. If you see any farmer who uses expensive seeds, you better hold to that farmer if he allows you to learn from him. That which is making him use those expensive seeds says a lot about him.

But when you see a farmer hustling and trying to manage what is known to give headaches; hmmmm......perhaps, that fellow has not perfected the act. You may even be better than the fellow. Lol. Nairaland is funny bro. So, instead of just listening to me or to anyone, pick every kind of seeds you can. Buy all if you can. Split them and see which one is good for you. Compare all. And you return here to give recommendation. From what I am reading, almost everyone here (maybe including me) cannot help you. Why? Some can give you assurance that may not work with you. Like me, I can assure you of a cultivar, and it may not make sense to you now because you have not seen the reason to spend so much. Another person may be telling you to use this and that.....but the truth is that the fellow is also not sure of what he is saying. Why dont you take your destiny in your hand? Go ahead and do it. Just do it.

I want you to create your own thread and teach people from your mistakes. I encourage you to be a leader too. But I know where you are likely to end. I have read your past posts and I know how you think. It is why I have used this approach to respond to your question.

Good luck bro.
thank u sir, I v picked up a lot from wht u v said though may not b financially independent to implement some of those ideas 4 nw as construction of new rabbit cages will cost a lot ...I will surely open a thread when I start, jst need 2 get d setup right
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 3:48pm On Nov 03, 2019
FMCASH:
germination sometimes are 50/50
I get d idea nw, I just hope I can get through this first hurdle cos everyone arnd here want me 2 trial tomatoes and I am not interested in dt 4 nw. if I don't do pepper, then I'm facing Nantes carrot

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 3:57pm On Nov 03, 2019
ANOCETS:

Sombo and tattasai

don't worry we will surmount this challenge by all means possible...d rains in akwa ibom z something else
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 4:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
Psalm4kute:

Pls sir, I'd like you to help me identify.. what type of pepper is this?? Rodo or tatashe
I think dts atarodo
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ANOCETS: 4:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
Atarodo from look

Psalm4kute:

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
ANOCETS:
Atarodo from look

Ok thanks, this is from technicism etna f1.. the pepper it self is very large
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Emempaul(m): 8:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Good day house pls How best do i effectively deseed fresh pepper so i can use d seed for next plant season
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 8:26pm On Nov 03, 2019
Emempaul:
Good day house pls How best do i effectively deseed fresh pepper so i can use d seed for next plant season
don't even think about that trust me it will not work,the farm will be doomed before even starting,most most pepper fruits you will get in the market is hybrid and if you recycle the seed it' will not work properly and other fruits will be from old farms that are already infected by numerous diseases and from those seeds you pass the infection to your farm,just forget about that idea,go and get technisem Safi it's cheap.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 8:51pm On Nov 03, 2019
Psalm4kute:

that's rodo, Etna f1. They grow bigger because they have access to more nutrient.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FMCASH(m): 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2019
Both are good bro, but you need to know what your market needs . Open market preference after rodo is bawa
ANOCETS:

Sombo and tattasai

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by DeLaRue: 9:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
I'v not grown any hot pepper before but I've had success with green pepper.

Could the problem of getting Avenir F1 seeds to germinate be down to the relatively cool weather we have had in the South up to October ending.

As we head into the heat of November, may be people should plant any left-over Avenir seeds again & see.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by kolis81: 9:54am On Nov 04, 2019
Good morning house, OP thanks for initiating this thread. I have really learned a lot. Tbh, I initially thought that planting pepper just involves gathering some random rotten pepper seeds, broadcast and transplant when they germinate (actually this is how we do it in my hometown).

In my place in Kogi state, we don't do veggies on commercial-scale so I decided to try my hands on it in next year. I though have some questions

* What are the various pesticides I should use and at what proportion with water?
* If I have pepper and water melon or egusi melon planted on the same plot (with good spacing), can I spray on them as recommended for pepper the same pesticide?
* What frquency should I be applying the fungicide during nursery and in the field?

Thanks

CC okoroemeka ,jethro2,ogbongenet, emmaachile cocoboms , FMCASH , Pistotita , and others
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by potosky: 12:21pm On Nov 04, 2019
kolis81:
Good morning house, OP thanks for initiating this thread. I have really learned a lot. Tbh, I initially thought that planting pepper just involves gathering some random rotten pepper seeds, broadcast and transplant when they germinate (actually this is how we do it in my hometown).

In my place in Kogi state, we don't do veggies on commercial-scale so I decided to try my hands on it in next year. I though have some questions

* What are the various pesticides I should use and at what proportion with water?
* If I have pepper and water melon or egusi melon planted on the same plot (with good spacing), can I spray on them as recommended for pepper the same pesticide?
* What frquency should I be applying the fungicide during nursery and in the field?

Thanks

CC okoroemeka ,jethro2,ogbongenet, emmaachile cocoboms , FMCASH , Pistotita , and others
which part of kogi?

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 12:30pm On Nov 04, 2019
okoroemeka:
not nursery bag,just ordinary black handless nylon that market women use @₦100 for 100 pieces,but perforated holes on the bottom.finding that original nursery bag can sometimes be a pain in the ass.
you mean the size of nylon used for moi-moi

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (61) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.