Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,280 members, 7,807,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

The Proposed National Super Grid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Proposed National Super Grid (3041 Views)

Ambode Connects 68 Communities To National Grid (Photos) / A Mathematical Analysis Of The Proposed N5000 Stipends For Unemployed Youths / The Proposed 18 New States And Their Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 11:22pm On Aug 19, 2010
[size=14pt]The proposed National Super Grid[/size]
By Sun News Publishing
Friday, August 20, 2010

President Goodluck Jonathan's recent approval of the immediate construction of a new National Super Grid to boost Nigeria's electricity generation to about 7000 megawatts (MW) by April 2011 is good news.

But the amount that has been endorsed for release by the president for the project - N525 billion - is a lot of money that should be effectively deployed to ensure that the objective is realised.

The 700 KV Super Grid is expected to be completed in four years at a cost of $3.5 billion. It is a component of the government's new roadmap for the power sector, which will be unveiled in Lagos on August 26.

The new Grid is expected to increase the nation's capacity to transmit power across vast distances, which the existing 330/132 KV Grid cannot do. It will be funded as a Federal asset with additional financing from private investors and international development agencies.

It has been estimated that it will increase power generation to 6939 MW by April 2011 and 14019 by December 2013. While we support this latest bid to resolve Nigeria's acute power shortage problem with a Super Grid, Nigerians cannot but be sceptical because this is not the first time that we are hearing grandiose plans for power generation in the country. Huge sums have been committed to power projects over the years without any commensurate improvement in power supply.

The case of the $16 billion reportedly committed to power projects by the erstwhile president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, without any positive impact on power supply in the country during his administration is still very fresh. The probe of the expenditure by the House of Representatives did not yield any significant results.

Nigerians are tired of failed promises and gargantuan expenditure in the power sector. We want to see electricity in our houses and factories and not on the pages of newspapers. Whatever amount is spent to increase electricity supply in the country is money well spent, provided the stated objectives are realised. Increased power supply will give the nation a boost, and the economy will be better for it.

It is time for action in the power sector. The people cannot continue to live on promises. To make progress in our quest for stable electricity supply, we need to determine how sums that were voted for the sector in the past were expended. It is important to account for the huge sums released in the recent past, before another N525 billion is put in, otherwise, the new investment may end up the same way as the former ones.

There should be closure on the matter of $16 billion investment in electricity generation by the Obasanjo administration to reassure the people that it did not just go down the cesspit of corruption. Also, that the proposed investment is not just a ploy by the Jonathan administration to feather its own nest in preparation for the coming general election.

Efforts should be made to ensure that all outstanding projects in the sector are delivered, to lay a good example for those who have been charged with the construction of the new National Super Grid. Nigerians no longer want to hear stories and excuses for non-perfromance. We need to see a change. We, however, hope that the latest contract has been carefully thought through. It has provided new hope that the nation will soon get out of the power cul de sac, which should not be dashed.

April is just eight months away. By that time, the people will assess the impact of the new Super Grid and the government will receive either praises or condemnation for the project. The government, last year, failed to deliver on the 6000 MW promise. Everything should be done to ensure that there is no room for failure on this fresh promise of 7000 MW by April 2011.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2010/aug/20/editorial-20-08-2010-001.htm
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by netotse(m): 11:30pm On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]The proposed National Super Grid[/size]
By Sun News Publishing
Friday, August 20, 2010

President Goodluck Jonathan's recent approval of the immediate construction of a new[b] National Super Grid to boost Nigeria's electricity generation to about 7000 megawatts (MW[/b]) by April 2011 is good news.

But the amount that has been endorsed for release by the president for the project - N525 billion - is a lot of money that should be effectively deployed to ensure that the objective is realised.

The 700 KV Super Grid is expected to be completed in four years at a cost of $3.5 billion. It is a component of the government's new roadmap for the power sector, which will be unveiled in Lagos on August 26.

The new Grid is expected to increase the nation's capacity to transmit power across vast distances, which the existing 330/132 KV Grid cannot do. It will be funded as a Federal asset with additional financing from private investors and international development agencies.

It has been estimated that it will increase power generation to 6939 MW by April 2011 and 14019 by December 2013. While we support this latest bid to resolve Nigeria's acute power shortage problem with a Super Grid, Nigerians cannot but be sceptical because this is not the first time that we are hearing grandiose plans for power generation in the country. Huge sums have been committed to power projects over the years without any commensurate improvement in power supply.

The case of the $16 billion reportedly committed to power projects by the erstwhile president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, without any positive impact on power supply in the country during his administration is still very fresh. The probe of the expenditure by the House of Representatives did not yield any significant results.

Nigerians are tired of failed promises and gargantuan expenditure in the power sector. We want to see electricity in our houses and factories and not on the pages of newspapers. Whatever amount is spent to increase electricity supply in the country is money well spent, provided the stated objectives are realised. Increased power supply will give the nation a boost, and the economy will be better for it.

It is time for action in the power sector. The people cannot continue to live on promises. To make progress in our quest for stable electricity supply, we need to determine how sums that were voted for the sector in the past were expended. It is important to account for the huge sums released in the recent past, before another N525 billion is put in, otherwise, the new investment may end up the same way as the former ones.

There should be closure on the matter of $16 billion investment in electricity generation by the Obasanjo administration to reassure the people that it did not just go down the cesspit of corruption. Also, that the proposed investment is not just a ploy by the Jonathan administration to feather its own nest in preparation for the coming general election.

Efforts should be made to ensure that all outstanding projects in the sector are delivered, to lay a good example for those who have been charged with the construction of the new National Super Grid. Nigerians no longer want to hear stories and excuses for non-perfromance. We need to see a change. We, however, hope that the latest contract has been carefully thought through. It has provided new hope that the nation will soon get out of the power cul de sac, which should not be dashed.

April is just eight months away. By that time, the people will assess the impact of the new Super Grid and the government will receive either praises or condemnation for the project. The government, last year, failed to deliver on the 6000 MW promise. Everything should be done to ensure that there is no room for failure on this fresh promise of 7000 MW by April 2011.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2010/aug/20/editorial-20-08-2010-001.htm
the sad thing about nigeria is that the people that are qualified to talk about the power sector(by virtue of the fact that they actually understand it) wont comment(i wonder if it's cos they're never asked), it's people that dont understand that are only to willing to run their mouths.

as per the bolded^^ how on earth does a super grid serve to increase generation? it can reduce losses(our losses are said to be btw 40 and 50%) but not reduce generation. and why the flaming f**k are they claiming the 330kV transmission lines haven't been able to transmit power? mennn i'm sick and tired of reading all the misinformation that is passed on to nigerians.

P.S. when it's all said and done i really dont give a shit cos out of that 525billion naira, e sure me say some of it go reach my hand one way or the other grin
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2010

How can we wait until Obj's regime from 8 years ago is probed before we invest in putting urgent structures on the ground? How many years will such a probe last?
In the meantime, the country is grinding to a halt, sometimes I think we should have a "kick a pressman day" enshrined in the constitution. grin

It is important to find out where money's have been spent, but we need to keep pressing forwards at the same time. The new grid is supposed to more than double our power transmission from the current 2,500 - 3,000 Megawatts to about 7,000 Megawatts as soon as April next year (a mere 7 months away). So why would anybody suggest we wait for some impossible probe? The curent system cannot carry an additional 3,000 Megawatts load.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 11:36pm On Aug 19, 2010
netotse:

the sad thing about nigeria is that the people that are qualified to talk about the power sector(by virtue of the fact that they actually understand it) wont comment(i wonder if it's cos they're never asked), it's people that dont understand that are only to willing to run their mouths.

as per the bolded^^ how on earth does a super grid serve to increase generation? it can reduce losses(our losses are said to be btw 40 and 50%) but not reduce generation. and why the flaming be intimate with are they claiming the 330kV transmission lines haven't been able to transmit power? mennn i'm sick and tired of reading all the misinformation that is passed on to nigerians.

P.S. when it's all said and done i really dont give a poo cos out of that 525billion naira, e sure me say some of it go reach my hand one way or the other grin

That caught my attention too. You de mind de bagger?
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by netotse(m): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

That caught my attention too. You de mind de bagger?
you know part of what trips me about this supergrid something? TCN opened the commercial bids to construct 330kV and 132kV substations and transmission lines today and yesterday respectively(you should hear the prices being called out o) and they are now proposing to spend another 525billion(where them wan thief the money?), govt needs to sit down and plan properly before coming up with all these schemes. . .
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Osama10(m): 11:46pm On Aug 19, 2010
What a useless country. sad
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by netotse(m): 11:49pm On Aug 19, 2010
Osama10:

What a useless country. sad
abegi let us hear word, you yourself you're part and parcel of the problem. . .
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by philip0906(m): 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2010
blah blah blah. . .light no still dey undecided
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by becomrich3: 12:01am On Aug 20, 2010
[size=38pt]Another lies from the house of Fraud[/size]
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by xterra2(m): 12:12am On Aug 20, 2010
But i damn hope we would be getting the 7000MW by april

ational Super Grid to boost Nigeria's electricity generation to about 7000 megawatts (MW) by April 2011 is good news.
Well i never knew the meaning of the "super grid" untill now and it means that from nowhere 7000 would arrive "super" magically i didnt see any promise of building a new power plant in the article above

It has been estimated that it will increase power generation to 6939 MW by April 2011 and 14019 by December 2013.
Again,where are we getting this power from to be honest i dont see how this super grid would generate power

The new Grid is expected to increase the nation's capacity to transmit power across vast distances, which the existing 330/132 KV Grid cannot do
That is what  the grid is gonna go not generate it would transmit and i didnt see any generating 7000MW

Nigerians are tired of failed promises and gargantuan expenditure in the power sector. We want to see electricity in our houses and factories and not on the pages of newspapers
I have nothing else to say again
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by SkyBlue1: 12:28am On Aug 20, 2010
xterra2:

But i damn hope we would be getting the 7000MW by april
Well i never knew the meaning of the "super grid" untill now and it means that from nowhere 7000 would arrive "super" magically i didnt see any promise of building a new power plant in the article above
Again,where are we getting this power from to be honest i dont see how this super grid would generate power
That is what  the grid is gonna go not generate it would transmit and i didnt see any generating 7000MW
I have nothing else to say again

If you are going to argue can you at least try and be cohherrent at least. The article is not focusing on generation but transmission, so why express shock that it actually talks about power transmission projects and not power generation projects? Also, if we magically get 10,000MW tomorrow, do you think you will see improved light? The grid at the moment is not even distributing the measly power we generate at full capacity and is also grossly inefficient, so what are you talking about please? Must we always criticise just for the sake of it?
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 12:54am On Aug 20, 2010
Sky Blue:

If you are going to argue can you at least try and be cohherrent at least. The article is not focusing on generation but transmission, so why express shock that it actually talks about power transmission projects and not power generation projects? Also, if we magically get 10,000MW tomorrow, do you think you will see improved light? The grid at the moment is not even distributing the measly power we generate at full capacity and is also grossly inefficient, so what are you talking about please? Must we always criticise just for the sake of it?

Exactly! I believe pwer can be quite rapidly scaled up to 7000 Megawatts in the short term, but the infrastructure is already begging on its knees with the little that is being delivered.

netotse:

you know part of what trips me about this supergrid something? TCN opened the commercial bids to construct 330kV and 132kV substations and transmission lines today and yesterday respectively(you should hear the prices being called out o) and they are now proposing to spend another 525billion(where them wan thief the money?), govt needs to sit down and plan properly before coming up with all these schemes. . .

Its like your feet and ears are firmly planted in the koko. grin
Abeg, give us the insider info.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by xterra2(m): 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2010
Sky Blue:

Yes i know that the current grid cant transmit the 7000MW am saying that do we even have the 7000MW undecided undecided undecided
And the article said the super grid would bring about/generate the 7000MW
Please re-read my initial post
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by netotse(m): 11:26pm On Aug 20, 2010
xterra2:

Yes i know that the current grid cant transmit the 7000MW am saying that do we even have the 7000MW undecided undecided undecided
not true. . .can you prove it?
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by DisGuy: 11:29pm On Aug 20, 2010
beaf are you sure you read the reports before posting them

I think the supergrid is completely different from this one  undecided

the grid currently under construction will comfortably transmit 7000MW, this supergrid proposal is a 4 year project-2013
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by SkyBlue1: 11:30pm On Aug 20, 2010
netotse:

not true. . .can you prove it?

It is not a matter of proving it, the infrastructure simply isn't in place and the little that is on ground is quite old.

xterra2:

Yes i know that the current grid cant transmit the 7000MW am saying that do we even have the 7000MW   undecided undecided undecided

I repeat, the article was about transmission. Must it be one or the other? Can't we be building power plants and also working on a grid that can effectively distribute the power? The question you should be asking is whether any power plants are being built, a question which can be answered by simple research (short answer is yes - do the research yourself).
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 1:01am On Aug 21, 2010
xterra2:

I don't think we've got 7000 Megawatts, but I've heard unconfirmed gist that there's 4,500 - 5000 Megawatts. What is quite clear though, is that the WWII equipment we have now can't carry more than about 3,500 Megawatts without a massive convulsion.

Dis Guy:

beaf are you sure you read the reports before posting them

I think the supergrid is completely different from this one undecided

the grid currently under construction will comfortably transmit 7000MW, this supergrid proposal is a 4 year project-2013

No, it isn't different. Construction of the super grid is starting immediately.
It is being built in phases, the deliverable for the first phase is 7000 Megawatts by April next year and 14,000 by 2013.

. . .And by 2020, we go nuclear.
I fear dat one sha! May the nuclear reactor be built in my enemies village. grin
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by DisGuy: 1:26am On Aug 21, 2010
I'm very certain there are on-going transmission projects across the country about 90 prior to this one being announced!

government make announcement today, work start today? no be naija we dey? Johnnie aint that fast abeg!! tongue
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 3:52am On Aug 21, 2010
Dis Guy:

I'm very certain there are on-going transmission projects across the country about 90 prior to this one being announced!

government make announcement today, work start today? no be naija we dey? Johnnie aint that fast abeg!! tongue

Its announced everywhere as part of the super grid and money was released immediately for takeoff as soon as the signature ink dried. This is what netotse said earlier (I suspect he has some inside info). Jonathan seems pretty serious with this one;

netotse:

Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by netotse(m): 2:26am On Aug 22, 2010
Beaf:

Its announced everywhere as part of the super grid and money was released immediately for takeoff as soon as the signature ink dried. This is what netotse said earlier (I suspect he has some inside info). Jonathan seems pretty serious with this one;

i hear he works in transmission. . .lol
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by DisGuy: 1:47am On Aug 27, 2010
Beaf:

I don't think we've got 7000 Megawatts, but I've heard unconfirmed gist that there's 4,500 - 5000 Megawatts. What is quite clear though, is that the WWII equipment we have now can't carry more than about 3,500 Megawatts without a massive convulsion.

No, it isn't different. Construction of the super grid is starting immediately.
It is being built in phases, the deliverable for the first phase is 7000 Megawatts by April next year and 14,000 by 2013.

. . .And by 2020, we go nuclear.
I fear dat one sha! May the nuclear reactor be built in my enemies village. grin

*The construction of what he described as “a super transmission network of 7000 Kilovolts, the procurement and design will commence next year.” This is in acknowledgement of the current weakness in electricity infrastructure, which frustrates the evacuation of electricity from the plants to the homes of Nigerians through the national grid.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504086.0.html
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Beaf: 1:55am On Aug 27, 2010
^
You could be right but, we have to wait a bit to judge the accuracy of that post, eg it is 700 Kilovolts not 700[b]0[/b] Kilovolts as quoted. In any event, bids have already been placed.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by DisGuy: 12:15am On Mar 20, 2012
march 2012
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 20, 2012
Dis Guy: march 2012
You aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ giving ♏έ a very healthy laugh.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by OAM4J: 4:29am On Mar 20, 2012
Beaf: [size=14pt]The proposed National Super Grid[/size]
By Sun News Publishing
Friday, August 20, 2010

President Goodluck Jonathan's recent approval of the immediate construction of a new National Super Grid to boost Nigeria's electricity generation to about 7000 megawatts (MW) by April 2011 is good news.

Ok that was suppose to happen by April 2011 and this is March 2012. . . erm, erm erm blame the delay on Boko Haram.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 20, 2012
OAM4J:

Ok that was suppose to happen by April 2011 and this is March 2012. . . erm, erm erm blame the delay on Boko Haram.
No blame me
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by 1025: 8:34am On Mar 20, 2012

@beaf,
you posted the thrash above exactly 1 yr 6 months ago. how far? is ur joe still serious? have u confirmed now that the man yo thought to be the messiah is not even related to john de baptist? the story line continues. pdp as a gang of criminals have come only to steal, kill and destroy.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Hardunnii(f): 8:53am On Mar 20, 2012
Beef, we need you here asap, lets see if you have a comeback for this....
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Nobody: 8:13am On Mar 21, 2012
Hardunnii: Beef, we need you here asap, lets see if you have a comeback for this....
You had better not count on it
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Demdem(m): 8:30am On Mar 21, 2012
another proposal from the retardeen. when its done, will comment. This isnt the first and will definately not be the last.
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by Akainzo(m): 10:25am On Mar 21, 2012
Beaf:

How can we wait until Obj's regime from 8 years ago is probed before we invest in putting urgent structures on the ground? How many years will such a probe last?
In the meantime, the country is grinding to a halt, sometimes I think we should have a "kick a pressman day" enshrined in the constitution. grin

It is important to find out where money's have been spent, but we need to keep pressing forwards at the same time. The new grid is supposed to more than double our power transmission from the current 2,500 - 3,000 Megawatts to about 7,000 Megawatts as soon as April next year (a mere 7 months away). So why would anybody suggest we wait for some impossible probe? The curent system cannot carry an additional 3,000 Megawatts load.

It is now March 2012, next month would be April 2012! How much of the project has been done? How much megawatt increase is there?
Hmmm, as of the last time, we are still struggling to get 4000MW, and yet almost 2 years ago, GEJH promised April 2011 for 7000MW!!! Haba!
Re: The Proposed National Super Grid by DisGuy: 2:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
July 2012

How far?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Second Niger Bridge: Anambra Assembly Battles Fg Over Ppp / Brave 9 Year Old Yoruba Girls Confronts 3 Yoruba Women Who Kidnapped Her (video) / Nurses Drive Away Suspected Ebola Patient In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.