Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So (62539 Views)

Soludo Is The First Governor To Use Made In Nigeria Car As Official Vehicle / APC Reacts To Bukola Saraki Drives Into Offa Town In Kwara State (photos) / Bukola Saraki Drives Into Offa Town In Kwara State, Residents Cheer (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by wanate(m): 9:38am On Feb 07, 2019
senatordave1:

Apc will take opobo.
Lol! I wonder hw u do ur permutations. Im from Akuku-toru LG dsame LGA with Tonye Cole d APC Candidate, nd im from briggs compound. Tonye Cole will lose in even his LGA in a free nd fair election. Wat impact has he made to his ppl, d ans is nothing. U dnt just wake up one day nd expect ppl to vote u. Tonye Cole is just like Sowore. A good man without closeness to d ppl. In my honest opinion. Abe would have been a stronger candidate.

9 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by KVC1970: 9:39am On Feb 07, 2019
Let the APC wailers see how PDP and Wike is bringing joy and happiness to Opobo people.
WIKE NA YOU WE KNOW AND PDP NA YOU WE GO VOTE AND NA YOU WE GO FOLLOW.
Let APC terrorists and there accomplices relocate to daura.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by islandmoon: 9:39am On Feb 07, 2019
yes, its a very big achievement because the only means of accessing that place was by water, using ferries , it remind me of King Jaja of Opobo!

I have dated a pretty girl from Opobo before, still looking forward to marry one .

the name of the king of that kingdom is King JAJA of OPOBO, a great king that gave the white tough time in Nigeria, he didnt let them build railway or road in that territory moved to block the access of British merchants to the interior, giving him an effective monopoly; at times, Opobo even shipped palm oil directly to Liverpool, independent of British middlemen.

At the 1884 Berlin Conference, however, the other European powers designated Opobo as British territory, and the British soon moved to claim it. When Jaja refused to cease taxing British traders, Henry Hamilton Johnston, a British vice consul, invited Jaja to negotiations in 1887. When Jaja arrived, the British arrested him and tried him in Accra in the Gold Coast (now Ghana) then took him to London for some time, where he met Queen Victoria and was her guest in Buckingham Palace. After some other turbulent history, he was exiled to Saint Vincent in the West Indies. Plans were also made for him to be relocated to Barbados.

In 1891, Jaja was granted permission to return to Opobo, but died en route, allegedly poisoned with a cup of tea. Following his exile and death, the power of the Opobo state rapidly declined.

4 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Tapout(m): 9:42am On Feb 07, 2019
meeketta:
Reminder!! Election Is Around Corner Be Wise!

Lol..Governorship election in rivers state is just for formalities, wike's 2nd term is certain.

5 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by mercenary: 9:44am On Feb 07, 2019
PurplePatch:
So this is an achievement. Smh!
All these local Yoruba boys on nairaland that know nothing about the Niger Delta sef, must you show us your stewpidity? Opobo town has before this administration been inaccessible by road and now Gov. Wike has been able to complete the road and has driven to the home town of the former gubernatorial candidate of the APC who was also the commissioner of work for many years without any reasonable progress on that road.

9 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Moventist: 9:50am On Feb 07, 2019
I was there live

2 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by jonnayo(m): 9:53am On Feb 07, 2019
senatordave1:

Apc will take opobo.
Yours is to take over and no good thing to show people for 4years of ruling. Shame.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Moventist: 9:53am On Feb 07, 2019
gidgiddy:
Can anyone confirm that the native language of Opobo people is Igbo?
yes Same with Bonny Island, the King Jaja of Opobo is Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by airsaylongcon: 9:56am On Feb 07, 2019
Fubaracole99:
yes partially because we lost our language which is Ibani

Ibani! Waoh! That's the language spoken on Bonny Island which is so far away from Opobo. How did you guys loose it given that Ibani is still widely spoken in Bonny?
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Bennycollins: 9:57am On Feb 07, 2019
Haba, is it not? Or you did not read the post.
PurplePatch:

1 Like

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by snowball11(m): 9:58am On Feb 07, 2019
senatordave1:

Apc will take opobo.

A zomboid spotted! grin
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by airsaylongcon: 10:03am On Feb 07, 2019
Moventist:
yes Same with Bonny Island, the King Jaja of Opobo is Igbo

I don't know if Opobo speaks Ibo but Bonny definitely doesn't speak Ibo. In fact I heard that back in the day of slave trade, Bonny indigenes used to raid the Igbo hinterland for slaves which were "exported" from Bonny
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by OMEGA009(m): 10:03am On Feb 07, 2019
Nice one. I remember traveling to Opobo by speed boat. Very scary experience and I’m a pretty good swimmer ooo. Nice hospitable people. Their masquerades like Nwatam are a sight to behold. Their language is a crazy mix though. Funny kind of ibo. Their yesterday is echi (which means tomorrow in ibo). Their tomorrow is echi echi ( which means tomorrow tomorrow in ibo). Their myself is Ikem (which means bum bum in ibo). Like I said, crazy mix. Couldn’t stop myself from laughing. Was a guest of Prince Authur before he became d King. Nice people, Beautiful town

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Mysselff2: 10:05am On Feb 07, 2019
amaniro:
So Amaechi didn't go to Opobo kingdom

Show me picture of Amaechi driving into Opobo kingdom

1 Like

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Koralords: 10:06am On Feb 07, 2019
One of my classmates then in secondary Sch was a grandson of kind jaja,was when I saw the name of the kind that I remember jaja of opobo ,that's it's the same opobo ,
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by DauraIsAGoal: 10:10am On Feb 07, 2019
OMEGA009:
Nice one. I remember traveling to Opobo by speed boat. Very scary experience and I’m a pretty good swimmer ooo. Nice hospitable people. Their masquerades like Nwatam are a sight to behold. Their language is a crazy mix though. Funny kind of ibo. Their yesterday is echi (which means tomorrow in ibo). Their tomorrow is echi echi ( which means tomorrow tomorrow in ibo). Their myself is Ikem (which means bum bum in ibo). Like I said, crazy mix. Couldn’t stop myself from laughing. Was a guest of Prince Authur before he became d King. Nice people, Beautiful town
You were a guest of Prince Arthur?
The guy has good eyes
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by bluebay(m): 10:11am On Feb 07, 2019
amaniro:
No sir. He never did. He was scared of water.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Buffalowings3(m): 10:11am On Feb 07, 2019
Olanireti:
Wao, this is highly Commendable. I was serving(NYSC) in Opobo when Wike came to do the Flag off. One statement I made then was, 'I hope it would not be abandoned'. I'm really happy for the people of Opobo. Movement to and fro then was a thug of war. You either use bike from Borí to Òpóbo Town then(1hr plus) at the price range from #1000 or you either go to Ikot Abassi in Akwa Ibom state then use speed boat from there to Opobo. I can not forget the experience in a hurry. Thank God for Preservation of life.

Hope to visit the town someday, now that there's good road.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by bluebay(m): 10:13am On Feb 07, 2019
snowball11:

A zomboid spotted! grin
Them nor born APC infact them nor born Tinubu well to try take the state.

1 Like

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by feldido(m): 10:17am On Feb 07, 2019
gidgiddy:
Can anyone confirm that the native language of Opobo people is Igbo?

Its actually Ijaw(Igbani), but the language is almost going extinct because of their intermarriage with the ibos, they now have a distinct Ibo language which is a mixture of Ijaw and ibo

1 Like

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 07, 2019
Edodefender:
when I first heard of ancient city of Anambra, fear catch me..

Na ancient city of Ibadan own worse pass grin
foolish liar is anambra a city Show me an example where it was use?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by nobone(f): 10:26am On Feb 07, 2019
donbachi:
Wike....ikem bu ikei
Ikem n' ike gi bu oli
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by excelmanager(m): 10:26am On Feb 07, 2019
This is laudable and Gov Wine must be commended.

Do know that each time you buy airtime or data some one somewhere is making money.

Do know that about #14billion is spent by Nigerians daily according to NCC.
You can share in the Telecom profits if you take the bold step to join us and stop enriching others, And start recharging for fortune.

Join us today to find out facts about RECHARGE AND GET PAID.If you are ready to start making money in the Telecom Industry comment I'M READY with your whatsapp number. Call/whatsapp me on 07039076273

Follow the link below to our WhatsApp training forum to learn more���������

https:///HadfIZhpDqD6A0A07fq27B

This business is only for serious minded people.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 07, 2019
Fubaracole99:
very big achievement for we opobians because we didn't in our history think we will travel to OPOBO by land but Mr Project made it possible, so hater go and hug transformer because OPOBO is PDP

Gullible fellow I am not politically affiliated. So take your fight elsewhere....#Clown!

Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Abagworo(m): 10:42am On Feb 07, 2019
Ndonu101:
this is life changing for the people of this town

people who only go their village by boat will now go by road

So who built the road? It's not about driving on it.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by tinktanker: 10:43am On Feb 07, 2019
PurplePatch:
so obvious u don't live in rivers state
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by tinktanker: 10:43am On Feb 07, 2019
Abagworo:

so u can't read
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Miebaka22(m): 10:43am On Feb 07, 2019
amaniro:
Ameachi used chopper to opobo not road bro.... there was no road to opobo not until wike constructed one
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 07, 2019
wanate:
I see most ppl making comments without knowing anything abt Rivers State apart from what dy read online. Is driving to Opobo a good thing? The ans is Yes. U knw why because d hazards involved in travelling by water will b no more. B4 once dere is rain, no way to go to opobo, both by water nd air, but nw ppl can drive. Wike has tried in rivers state nd its clear to every1 resident in d state. The only place i'll score him low is employment. Ciao

Allow the clowns from the yeast and waste to keep expressing their ignorance on nairaland day by day.
Re: Wike Drives Into Opobo Kingdom, Makes History As First Governor To Do So by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 07, 2019
Abagworo:

Reading is one, comprehension is another. Go read the post again and digest it before commenting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fayose Addresses Protesting Drivers In Ekiti (Photos) / Women In Hijabs Pose With Weapons In Kano (Photo) / "Please Forgive Us" - Boko Haram Commanders Beg Nigerians (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.