Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? (54266 Views)

The Meanings Of Visa, Verve, Mastercard, Naira, Dollar, Debit & Credit Card / How Can I Use Verve Debit Card On Remitta Platform? / First Bank Unveils Promo To Reward Verve Card Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by frankmoney(m): 10:44am On Feb 07, 2019
Ferrous:

But I requested for MasterCard at Fidelity Bank and they refused to give me, reason being that unless it's a current account, I wouldn't be issued a MasterCard
well I got mine from UBA and I didn't open it with a valid ID , infact they gave me an option to chose any card I want
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Smile4mee01: 10:45am On Feb 07, 2019
Brother....

The kind of card I recommend will depend on the kind of lifestyle you live.

Mastercard are susceptible to online fraud. While verve card can rarely be used online.

Stick to verve, if u need to travel get a Mastercard.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by obyback: 10:46am On Feb 07, 2019
All of them are useless till they start giving flight miles per transaction
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 07, 2019
Elslim:
Mastercard as the Name implies is MASTER.... OGA NA MASTER!!!

VERVE on the other hand is Ogas Boy��

You should be in jokes section grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by bfn1: 10:53am On Feb 07, 2019
Educative!
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 07, 2019
Epistasis:
My ATM card will expire this month, I have been using Verve all this while don't really know whether I should opt for either MasterCard or Visa this time around. What are the major differences between MasterCard, Visa and Verve?.
Your explanation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

First let us cover the basics.

What is a Debit (ATM) Card.

It give you easy access to your money anytime, anywhere. You can pay your bills and make payment for your everyday purchase without carrying cash around.

What's the Difference?

Daily Transaction Limit - Verve 100k MasterCard - 150k & Visa 150k.

ATM Abroad - Verve (NO) MasterCard (YES) Visa (YES)

POS Nigeria - Yes for verve, MasterCard and visa

ATM Nigeria - Yes for verve, MasterCard and visa.

POS Abroad - No for Verve, Yes for MasterCard & Visa

Web Nigeria - Yes for verve, mastcard and visa.

Web Abroad - No for Verve, Yes for MasterCard & Visa.

So basically, you can only use Verve Card in Nigeria and Nigeria only.

If you want to use your card outside Nigeria like shopping on AliExpress, Amazon, eBay or BestBuy, WalMart or Asos or using your card to withdraw cash at Citibank ATM in New York or Barclays Bank ATM in England, or Emirates NBD ATM in Dubai, you need a MasterCard or Visa Card.

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by cabsking: 11:15am On Feb 07, 2019
SamuelLoch:
Your title is really misleading.

I use VISA but I guess Verve has limitations and MasterCard seems to be the best option.
Guy which bank visa u dey use.. I get deals for u
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by cabsking: 11:20am On Feb 07, 2019
Any one with ecobank or union bank visa card should contact me on 08087210337
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by favouredon(f): 11:21am On Feb 07, 2019
Built2last:

They have you verve card because of the type of account you opened. You did not open your account with a valid ID card like drivers license, voters card or international passport
. That's not true. Stop misleading people
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by BedLam: 11:23am On Feb 07, 2019
Offpoint:

Lol, I don laugh tire... your comment remind of something.

My neighbor once send me to helped her withdraw money, I got to the closest ATM to me [Micro finance bank] I made my own withdrawal with my UBA card and when I tried withdrawing with my neighbor's verve card... immediately I insert the card, the next thing I see is "This card is not smart"...being the the first time I'm seeing such a message I just burst into laughter.... I was like which one is "This card is not smart" again? abi na you no smart... I had to go the main bank to withdraw
The bank doesn't support verve. It is disheartening to see people can't encourage local businesses. Master card and visa got to where they are today because they have been supported by the United States. Maybe one day when we become a regional powerhouse, other African countries will accept verve just like banks started accepting China's union pay.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by mastermaestro(m): 11:44am On Feb 07, 2019
BedLam:
The bank doesn't support verve. It is disheartening to see people can't encourage local businesses. Master card and visa got to where they are today because they have been supported by the United States. Maybe one day when we become a regional powerhouse, other African countries will accept verve just like banks started accepting China's union pay.

I agree with you totally.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by mechanics(m): 11:45am On Feb 07, 2019
Go for Master card, some ATM's don't really accept all cards, except master cards.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by joshuaidibia(m): 11:46am On Feb 07, 2019
Epistasis:
My ATM card will expire this month, I have been using Verve all this while don't really know whether I should opt for either MasterCard or Visa this time around. What are the major differences between MasterCard, Visa and Verve?.
Your explanation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Is it Ecobank? Some guys were looking for Ecobank verve or Visa card o. They'll hack it and load up to 80million naira for you. You share it 50/50. That card is hard to come by. I guess Eco stopped issuing it. But if you get, then find any ****** boy you know.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by yemi15(m): 12:24pm On Feb 07, 2019
fernandoc:
I don’t have strength to type but use master card first choice or Visa card the difference is fifty naira in most banks.

Exactly plus you can use your MasterCard or Visa card for payment on any website or app. For 50 naira, that is a whole lot of benefits. In addition, if you are using Access Bank, you can get an Instant MasterCard, no need of coming back the next week for the same card. Ask if your bank has that same Instant MasterCard option. If not, it is still all good.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by DateMynd44(m): 12:34pm On Feb 07, 2019
Built2last:

They have you verve card because of the type of account you opened. You did not open your account with a valid ID card like drivers license, voters card or international passport
Gbam. Same issue I had
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by yemi15(m): 12:40pm On Feb 07, 2019
Rosarie:
gtb gives MasterCard on spot.men I love that bank

Access Bank does too and activation on the spot.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by yemi15(m): 12:42pm On Feb 07, 2019
SenatorAiyzik:

All banks gives Mastercard on the spot
Union does not. Few banks do.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by tonchi(m): 12:44pm On Feb 07, 2019
Verve is acceptable in UK, US and UAE. Please clarify with your banks. I personally have a Verve and it doesn't disappoint me. and i don't think it matters the type of account you open. My verve card is linked to my current account. Here's their website if you need more information. https://www.myverveworld.com/ng/consumer
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Engrkaypee: 1:17pm On Feb 07, 2019
oboy81:
Visa Card Less Security Everyday Cash Out!! #ifyouknowyouknow cheesy

Abeg If you Get VISA CaRd on Your FCMB or Union bank Domiciliary Dollar Account Just DM me cry
Gbe body eh
bro if you go register new dorm acct for union bank them go give you visa gold card
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Engrkaypee: 1:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
Engrkaypee:
bro if you go register new dorm acct for union bank them go give you visa gold card
you fit hala me for my gmail kaypeeboss001@gmail.com
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Engrkaypee: 1:20pm On Feb 07, 2019
oboy81:
Visa Card Less Security Everyday Cash Out!! #ifyouknowyouknow cheesy

Abeg If you Get VISA CaRd on Your FCMB or Union bank Domiciliary Dollar Account Just DM me cry
Gbe body eh
see my gmail bro kaypeeboss001@gmail.com make we talk
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Priceless200(f): 1:20pm On Feb 07, 2019
Fxwarrior:

Yes, verve is very useless.

Verve is not useless

Some local sites don't accept payment with visa. Verve hardly fails for local transactions whereas visa may foam or be rejected. Even Quickteller sometimes rejects visa. But with verve. Never.

Visa and master are mainly for international online transactions or for ease of use outside the country. So of you don't transact on foreign sites or travel out I suggest you go for verve. Or get the two.

What I do is I usually hve both verve and visa cards for my most used account.

Non is useless
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by SenatorAiyzik: 1:20pm On Feb 07, 2019
yemi15:

Union does not. Few banks do.

Say what you know Bros. I have an instant union Mastercard gotten it more than twice

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by justflow1(m): 1:29pm On Feb 07, 2019
Nodogragra4me:
All cards are issued on the spot that just tick the one you want

I dont think i did say at any point that cards are not released on real-time tho

Gracias
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by yemi15(m): 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2019
SenatorAiyzik:

Say what you know Bros. I have an instant union Mastercard gotten it more than twice

Just did last week, was told to come back a week later. So which is more recent?
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by SenatorAiyzik: 1:37pm On Feb 07, 2019
yemi15:

Just did last week, was told to come back a week later. So which is more recent?

Oga the fact they told you to come next week might be for reasons like name punching machine not printing or is in service or maybe they do not have plastic cards at the moment in that branch. Doesn't mean they don't issue instant cards and in some cases you need to specify to them you want an instant card before they issue because some people still love their names punched into the card and not printed with ink
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by Nwaohafia1: 1:38pm On Feb 07, 2019
justdare007:

What are you saying? Visa cannot transfer money to other banks? Really?
Please, I urge you to make a research about an issue before you make a conclusion because I use Visa card and I use it for transfer almost all the time.
Besides, Visa and Master are the same because both serves the same purpose.

You cannot use VISA to transfer money on the ATM to other banks.

Master is not the same as VISA.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by SenatorAiyzik: 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2019
Nwaohafia1:

You cannot use VISA to transfer money on the ATM to other banks.

Master is not the same as VISA.

VISA transfers to any Bank. Maybe yours wasn't enabled. Visa transfers mine does

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by oboy81: 1:55pm On Feb 07, 2019
Engrkaypee:
No they will not!
Only issuing Mastercard
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by nugi: 2:03pm On Feb 07, 2019
holuphisayor:
Verve limitation is local...last time I used one was 2008.
Naira mastercard can't receive funds(e.g withdraw $$ to you naira account) from web platforms.... Except refunds. (not sure if things had changed though.....being using visa card for all transactions. )

Verve's limitation being local is so 2000.

Verve is now accepted in over 100 countries worldwide.

check this link out below and thank me later smiley

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130312005401/en/Discover-Financial-Services-Announces-International-Alliance-Nigeria%E2%80%99s

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by yemi15(m): 2:05pm On Feb 07, 2019
SenatorAiyzik:

Oga the fact they told you to come next week might be for reasons like name punching machine not printing or is in service or maybe they do not have plastic cards at the moment in that branch. Doesn't mean they don't issue instant cards and in some cases you need to specify to them you want an instant card before they issue because some people still love their names punched into the card and not printed with ink

I asked for the instant MasterCard, I was not given. If the name punching machine does not work, there is no way they would have offered me an Instant Verve Card. This was at the Secretariat Branch in Ibadan. So sorry to bust your bubble, not all Union Bank branches offer that.
Re: Difference Between Mastercard, Verve And Visa? by adeyemosky(m): 2:07pm On Feb 07, 2019
All these feedback on the Various card schemes just goes to show that we are not proud our own home grown brand.

Verve is the only card scheme in Africa today that is not only issued in Nigeria but in other African countries, Verve has allowed for interbank transactions on the ATMs, Loyalty schemes, cash back, rewards and other Value Added Services which are not available by other international schemes.

To further understand, there are banks with different tiers of accounts which have been segmented for Visa or Master cards while other accounts have been assigned to Verve. So the decision to issue certain type of cards to customers might rely on the Banks partnerships with the various schemes.

It is best to understand deep down the reason why things are so before we assign blames.

We should be grateful as a Nation we have been able to attain the level of development in e-payment and Verve has also been of great benefit.

If Verve was not established, there will not be competition and trust me we as customers will have paid enormous fees for local transactions.

Okay, let me make it simpler. Imagine if Glo didnt come into the market - MTN and Airtel (Formerly Econet) will have ripped us all off for good.

My own two scents

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Thread For Dollar To Naira Daily / Venue Of Folorunso Alakija's 65th Birthday Party Decorated With Gold(pics / How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.