Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,975 members, 7,803,232 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

#11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos (45016 Views)

Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School Lagos 88' Set Celebrates Reunion In Uniform / Grace High School Lagos Asks WAEC Candidates To Lodge In Hotel, Parents Protest / Muslim Girls Suspended From Isolo Secondary School Lagos For Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by CodeTemplar: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2019
Ishilove:
11 million... One can build a house in certain areas in Nigeria with that amount.
Hmmm . . . so true.
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by abumeinben(m): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2019
And they'll be paying their teachers 35k

2 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by KiZiie(m): 8:52pm On Feb 07, 2019
earthsync:
How many students do they have in total? This is mad expensive. How much do students in high schools in America pay?

how many students in America attend a private high school?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by KiZiie(m): 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2019
abumeinben:
bias
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by KiZiie(m): 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2019
dkronicle:
Lols me wey be say na from primary school i don de nack pidgin English. I go just corrupt pikins for that school if say dem push me over there.
I like this guy

1 Like

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by KiZiie(m): 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2019
Sgbate:
That's the point, how many Davido's are there in Nigeria anyways
apparently... A lot!

3 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Passion2009: 8:56pm On Feb 07, 2019
abumeinben:

Never. No teacher in such schools takes home anything below 100k naira per month. Most of their(AISL) staff are expatriates - and they are paid in dollars.

16 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by HigherEd: 9:43pm On Feb 07, 2019
Lalasticlala this should be on FP o
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 07, 2019
Poverty is really a disease..

2 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by elyte89: 10:15pm On Feb 07, 2019
From my nursery school down to my last day in university... I doubt if I paid close to 500k as school fees grin

Nb from nursery to secondary school, na private skool I go o grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by naptu2: 1:35am On Feb 08, 2019
Ishilove:
11 million... One can build a house in certain areas in Nigeria with that amount.

What do you know about AIS?

(I want to see whether you know why the fees are that high).
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by naptu2: 2:12am On Feb 08, 2019
Ishilove:

I originally wrote this list in the early 1980s (when AIS moved into its current campus). These were the best primary schools in Lagos at the time.

naptu2:
Once upon a time.

American International School (1004)

St Saviours (Alexander Avenue)

Corona V.I (Waziri Ibrahim)

St Mary's Private (Broad Street)

Home Science Association (Ruxton Road)

Corona Ikoyi (Mekuwen)

ADRAO (Ahmadu Bello Way)

At that time I knew why AIS was established, but I thought that it was owned by the US embassy.

American International School was established so that children of US diplomats and other US citizens that are working in Nigeria (in Mobil, Chevron, etc), can get a US education and so that they can easily reintegrate into the US school system when they return to their country.

It was actually established by diplomats and it is asisted by the US State Department, but it is not owned by the US Government/State Department/Embassy.

It is managed by certain US school districts and most of its teachers are from those school districts.

The fees seem so expensive simply because of the collapse in the value of the naira. In the early 1980s (when I wrote that list) the school fees were paid in dollars (I don't know if that's still the case).

You can find out all about the history of the school (from 1963 to the present) here https://www.aislagos.org/about-aisl/aisls-history-50-years-of-the-american-international-school-lagos

They moved into their present campus at 1004 in 1981. However, they are building a new campus in Lekki. Robin Sanders laid the foundation stone of the new campus when she was US ambassador to Nigeria in the early 2010s.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by naptu2: 2:14am On Feb 08, 2019
naptu2:

What do you know about AIS?

(I want to see whether you know why the fees are that high).

There's also an American International School in Abuja. Goodluck Jonathan's kids attended that school.

There was controversy in 2011 when the school remained open despite the fact that the government ordered that schools should be closed because of the 2011 election.

https://www.nairaland.com/587849/goodluck-jonathans-kids-school-mine

You can find out more about AIS here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_School_of_Lagos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_School

3 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Katier00(f): 6:28am On Feb 08, 2019
Ishilove:
with change sef, I can build a 4 bedroom bungalow for you with that amount

1 Like

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by abumeinben(m): 7:43am On Feb 08, 2019
Passion2009:

Never. No teacher in such schools takes home anything below 100k naira per month. Most of their(AISL) staff are expatriates - and they are paid in dollars.

Except you teach in the school, I don't believe you.
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Passion2009: 7:58am On Feb 08, 2019
abumeinben:

Except you teach in the school, I don't believe you.

You will pay a workforce of 80% expatriates 30,000naira?

Read about their staff below.

https://www.aislagos.org/admissions/welcome-to-aisl

No staff(including gate man) earns below 100k at AISL - most of their teachers earn far above 300k naira per month after conversion from dollars. This is a fact I know.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by SavageBoy: 8:00am On Feb 08, 2019
misspresident:
Poverty issa bastard.

I swear

1 Like

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Passion2009: 8:01am On Feb 08, 2019
HigherEd:
Lalasticlala this should be on FP o

Cc

Richiez, olawalebabs, Fynestboi Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by abumeinben(m): 8:06am On Feb 08, 2019
Passion2009:

You will pay a workforce of 80% expatriates 30,000naira?

Read about their staff below.

https://www.aislagos.org/admissions/welcome-to-aisl

No staff(including gate man) earns below 100k at AISL - most of their teachers earn far above 300k naira per month after conversion from dollars. This is a fact I know.

No wahala. But don't believe everything you see on websites
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by rentAcock(m): 8:20am On Feb 08, 2019
For that kind of money, I hope they also give you green card upon graduation.

8 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by lordvamon(m): 8:21am On Feb 08, 2019
Odimma
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by davillian(m): 8:22am On Feb 08, 2019
What's my business with the fee?
Even in Yankee you don't spend that much on school, feeding accommodation, flight tickets and visa all together f or just one year

4 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by ifyalways(f): 8:24am On Feb 08, 2019
ChiefAzubuike:

There are extremely wealthy people in Nigeria who will afford this without stress.

Davidos daughter from Sophia momodu (Imade) I think attends this particular school.
Nay, they attend St Saviours Ikoyi
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by DanDeeBoss(m): 8:24am On Feb 08, 2019
misspresident:
Poverty issa bastard.
Ah!!! You stay in Aso Rock na.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Awoleesu(m): 8:25am On Feb 08, 2019
misspresident:
Poverty issa bastard.

Wallahi!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by EmekaBlue(m): 8:26am On Feb 08, 2019
shoe get size
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by gaffyGIFT: 8:27am On Feb 08, 2019
ahahahaha ..... my God ....

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by akinszz: 8:27am On Feb 08, 2019
Butter good o.... How I wish to send my children there cry

1 Like

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Iyajison: 8:28am On Feb 08, 2019
Even wit that high cost, dummies are still there..

I mean pple worst than Buhari

4 Likes

Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Dadean: 8:28am On Feb 08, 2019
After paying 11 million and the pikin no kon Sabi nko
Re: #11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 08, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Ah!!! You stay in Aso Rock na.... cheesy

Abeg na packaging oooo lol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mass Communication Student's Project On Ganduje Bribery Video / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Throwback: Do You Remember This?! (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.