Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,503 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

"Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out (27974 Views)

Ibadan-Based Comedian, Peteru Comedy, Is Dead / Ali Baba: My Father Disowned Me When I Started Doing Stand-up Comedy In 1988 / Tupac’s Murder: Keefe D Confesses As He Is Dying Of Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by celebgistz: 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2019
Bright ‘Basketmouth’ Okpocha, Nigerian comedian and actor, says stand-up comedy is dying in Nigeria.

He thinks a number of comedians are taking the easy way out by doing skits rather than actually doing standup comedy.

The comedian made the remark on Thursday while participating in a panel discussion at the Viacom International Media Networks Africa (VIMN Africa) forum held at the ongoing Social Media Week (SMW) Lagos.

Speaking on the theme, ‘Music, Content and Consumer Experiences…Changing The African Narrative’, Basketmouth urged comedians to improve their content for stand-up comedy.

“There’s nothing like a good joke,” he said.

“A joke can always be improved and even I often share some of my jokes with fellow comedians and they tell me it is okay, but they later tell me how to make it better.

“Doing skits on social media is very different from performing on stage. There is no filter on stage.”

Basketmouth urged budding comedians to employ more creativity in creating quality content that will satisfy the expectations of their target audience.

He said: “While it is good for us to evolve, we have to remember to make content that has substance. We need to understand our target audience and what they need.

“Create content that is buyable. All you need is good content and it will sell by itself.”

The ace comedian also advised upcoming acts to create a large fan base for themselves before they seek out brands for showcasing opportunities.

The panel session, which had about 100 people in attendance, was moderated by Folu Storms, MTV Base video-jockey.

It featured contributions from Steve Babaeko, CEO of X3M Ideas Limited, and Ayeni Adekunle, founder of BlackHouse Media Group.

Source: https://www.mtetimes.com/2019/celebrities/stand-up-comedy-is-dying-in-nigeria-basket-mouth-cries-out

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by celebgistz: 4:55pm On Feb 08, 2019
See Reactions >>> HERE

1 Like

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by thesicilian: 5:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
They should set up a Stand Up Comedy Hospital.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by SarcasticWords: 5:54pm On Feb 08, 2019
“Doing skits on social media is very different from performing on stage. There is no filter on stage.”

Some comedians while on stage are cursed at or insulted by members of the audience while some get less than what was agreed upon by the organisers of the show. Who would want to go through that, when now you can easily open a YouTube channel or have an Instagram tv page, upload videos, get views and get your channel monetized with ads.

No insult , No cheating. You get paid.

As buhari done tight everywhere for four years so, most comedians have realized that many Nigerians are too angry and hungry. Rather than waste money and precious time organising a show with low turn out at the end of the day, they prefer to upload their skits and vids online for people to watch whenever they feel like. They will get views, get ads on their channel or page and get paid.

Shikena!

Just take a good look at the number of views on each of bovi's videos and tell me why a new up coming comedian would want to go through the hurdles and stress of organizing a show in this hard tough system buhari has blessed us with.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by hisexcellency34: 6:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
Ole! Then quit it for others. What are u still doing there

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Mariangeles(f): 6:20pm On Feb 08, 2019
You've made money your own way, now it hurts you to see others making it their way right ?? angry

Well, comedy skits are the new IT! DEAL WITH IT! angry

Gone are the days when they'll be charging between #500,000 to #1million just to go see a comedy show angry
One day's event o...the nerve of those comedians angry

NEVER AGAIN !
With comedy skits, you can get a good laugh while on the go...No time !

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by mytime24(f): 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2019
Gud4 una,
D only tin u guys do nowadays is to body shame ur guest

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by ksstroud: 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2019
You guys are not really funny again jor

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by I888(m): 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2019
No b who get money go go shows?

6 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Vimcash: 6:21pm On Feb 08, 2019
Lol.. everyone don turn g boys na. What do you expect

8 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by OVA200(m): 6:22pm On Feb 08, 2019
It is dying because you guys lack the creativity to push it forward and any industry that is suffering from creativity will eventually die.
Upon the lack of creativity you still quote exhortant price for the show; anything don't just die they suffer from a disease or ailment this is your ailment you better take to hospital or prepare for wake keep.

8 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by LesbianBoy(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
Azin eh! Also, everywhere you look now everyone is now a comedian! angry

4 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Hintona(f): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
Sitcoms are taking the lead

1 Like

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
Buhari is responsible.......

It used to flourish under PDP but not again today

Vote wisely

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by publicenemy(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
No more free money in Naija.. Everybody must hustle now.
Sai baba.

4 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by LesbianBoy(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
I blame buhari angry

1 Like

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by ikezuora4689(m): 6:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
Why won't it die.... when all you guys can offer us is .....IF ARMY SLAP U EEHHH..I dey always vex anything I hear this statement...I will be like what is wrong with this country....why would army slap me...no matter my offense..they don't have the right to slap me....they will jst be giving this useless army moral to be doing nonsense in town

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by chloride6: 6:25pm On Feb 08, 2019
Nah..

People just prefer to Instagram and chill with their bae instead of buying 5k ticket that they wont see squat!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by wise2odd: 6:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
no money to go show. vote atiku

8 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by adekalumichael: 6:27pm On Feb 08, 2019
ZombiePUNISHER:

Poverty-stricken country under Buhari cannot afford such luxury

Vote wisely

This economy now nah cut your cloth to your chest even if it can't reach your knees. Make body no dey naked.

4 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by rattlesnake(m): 6:27pm On Feb 08, 2019
That's why u went to release rubbish music

2 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by hokafor(m): 6:27pm On Feb 08, 2019
People are so frustrated that nothing amuse them anymore, so basket mouth you have to look for another profession

4 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by PreciousRahl(m): 6:29pm On Feb 08, 2019
Nigerians are not smiling...

7 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by oluwasegun007(m): 6:31pm On Feb 08, 2019
Don't beg, just differ..

1 Like

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by NnaNna4(m): 6:31pm On Feb 08, 2019
SarcasticWords:

Some comedians while on stage are cursed at or insulted by members of the audience while some get less than what was agreed upon by the organisers of the show. Who would want to go through that, when now you can easily open a YouTube channel or have an Instagram tv page, upload videos, get views and get your channel monetized with ads.

So bovi went back to sch....make I go check whether sweet rich emmanuella officer comedy skit..runs to youtube
No insult , No cheating. You get paid.

As buhari done tight everywhere for four years so, most comedians have realized that many Nigerians are too angry and hungry. Rather than waste money and precious time organising a show with low turn out at the end of the day, they prefer to upload their skits and vids online for people to watch whenever they feel like. They will get views, get ads on their channel or page and get paid.

Shikena!

Just take a good look at the number of views on each of bovi's videos and tell me why a new up coming comedian would want to go through the hurdles and stress of organizing a show in this hard tough system buhari has blessed us with.

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Nobody: 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2019
Thanks to Buhari's very poor economic policies, people can't afford to eat, let alone pay N5000 for regular seats and the rich can't pay N1m for "tables for 5".

4 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Leonbonapart(m): 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2019
Is that why you went and sing trash? ?? Please unsing that song. Dafuck is their father, their mother, their house. You wan kill music for Nigeria ni??

3 Likes

Re: "Stand-Up Comedy Is Dying In Nigeria" - Basket Mouth Cries Out by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 08, 2019
So you know that you are no longer funny ?

Chasing money..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

D'prince Omoba's Son Is Grown Up Already (photo) / "New Me": Actress Mercy Aigbe Shares Beautiful New Photo / Kechi Okwuchi And Mel'B Pictured Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.