Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Ibb A True General - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb A True General (940 Views)

Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / IBB, OBJ Clash / Who Killed Dele Giwa? Was IBB Involved? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb A True General by McKren(m): 12:11pm On Apr 22, 2007
IBB, Abdulsalami Want Attack On INEC Office Probed
Two former Heads of state, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida and Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar have condemned yesterday's attempt, by unknown persons, to burn down the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Abuja

The two men, who spoke with journalists in Minna, immediately after casting their votes, warned that such an act would not be tolerated in the country and called for an immediate investigation into the matter to unravel those behind the act in order to bring them to book.

While Babangida described the incident as undemocratic and unNigerian, Abdulsalami declared that such act was never part of Nigeria's culture but a new dimension being employed by some individuals to bring the nation's democracy to mockery

"Politicians are bringing in another dimension into this country and I do hope this will be the first and last time this kind of thing would happen in this country," Abdulsalami said. "The perpetrators must be caught and dealt with."

He observed that the violence, which trailed the announcement of results of last Saturday's governorship election, is not peculiar to Nigeria.

Babangida however stated that the protest, which greeted the announcement of the result, was because Nigerian politicians had not learnt to accept defeat, just as he observed that winners have not also learnt to be magnanimous in victory.

On how he felt voting for another candidate, after nursing similar ambition, Babangida replied: " somebody has to be a President and we have to vote for somebody. It is the civic responsibility of all Nigerians to chose whoever they want as their leader".

When asked if he would try his chances again in the 2011 election, he answered, "I am already 66 and by next election, I will be 70, and you don't expect me to be running around with younger men at the age of 70."

Both leaders commended the large turn out of voters for the election, saying that it was an indication that democracy was taking root in the country.

The former first lady of the country, Justice Fati Abubakar said it does not matter who wins the election, as the Nigerian constitution does not discriminate against anybody.

I have been one of those who always criticized the man IBB, though I have always maintained that while I do agree that his regime had some very fine economic programmes but it lacked the genuine desire to implement them. For that reason I could not forgive him for knowing the right thing for this country and refusing to do them, I also thought him being President post May 29th 2007 was too huge a gamble for this nation to embark on.

However now that the electoral process have come and gone, I think the man deserves respect for accepting his faith and remaining loyal to National interest rather than his ambition.
Re: Ibb A True General by osegwu(m): 12:25pm On Apr 22, 2007
Let him tell the Nation what truely made him

to step down.
Re: Ibb A True General by Backslider(m): 3:29pm On Apr 22, 2007
I think to all the people that have good and clear intelligence, they will see that the Brain behind this was just trying to stop the Election.

I am very surprised that this person is ready to Burn this Nation.
Re: Ibb A True General by DisGuy: 7:25pm On Apr 22, 2007
I heard they have CCTV in abuja, hope its working grin
Re: Ibb A True General by kitaun(m): 12:49am On Apr 23, 2007
Mckren, am sure u know IBB's words are always pregnant with meanings?
Re: Ibb A True General by Bolarge(m): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2007
The man who successfully bombed Dele Giwa now stands to condemn those who attempted (but failed) to bomb INEC headquarters.What an irony?. I just love Nigeria.
Re: Ibb A True General by otokx(m): 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2007
Me too

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Will Work In This Country? / . / ‘ Any Pdp Candidate Will Win In Lagos’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.