Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr (2005 Views)

Jonathan With The Son Of Martin Luther King Jr / Ese: Demand For Justice And Prosecution Of Martin Ayankola, The Enemy Of Islam / Martin Luther Agwai's Speech At Obasanjo's Birthday That Made Him Lose His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by zex(m): 1:46pm On Jan 12, 2006
it is believed that for a man to lay down his life for the love of others is the supreme sacrifice. Jesus christ by his own example showed us that there is no greater love. for nearly two thousand years now we have been striving to have the strength to follow that example. Martin Luther King was a man who had that strength . He showed us non-violently, a better way of life, a way of mutual respect, helping us to avoid much bitter confrontation and inevitable bloodshed. we still have a long road to travel until we reach the world that was his
dream. we in the world, most not forget either his supreme sacrifice or that dream.
   i and a growing number of people believe that it is time for the American people to adopt a
legislation that will make January 15, Martin Luther King's birthday a nation holiday both in
recognition of what he achieved as a reminder of the distance which still has to be traveled.

Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by queen2(f): 1:54pm On Jan 12, 2006
Yes nice one

Martin Luther King Jr Day is a united states national holiday honouring the birthday of the civil right leader Martin Luther King Jr, the holiday is observed each year on the third Monday in January King’s actual birthday  was January 15 1929. On Martin Luther King Jr day, most government offices and schools are closed for the day but many private businesses remain open.
A campaign to establish a holiday honouring king began soon after he was assassinated in 1968. So in 1983 congress made his birthday a federal holiday which will be 16th of January 2006 for this years’, it was first celebrated on January 20 1986.

I HAVE A DREAM TODAY!

Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by hotangel2(f): 5:45am On Jan 13, 2006
Aww.. great write-ups. smiley
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Chxta(m): 8:15am On Jan 13, 2006
The man is an American thing. I can't link him with us here in Naija...
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Horus(m): 6:17am On Dec 26, 2007
[img]http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/events/mlk2.jpg[/img]
Martin Luther King Jr

The man is an American thing. I can't link him with us here in Naija.
Why?.Why you can't link him with us?
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by almondjoy(f): 10:55am On Dec 26, 2007
Gone are the days when men were men.  Now we have "oreo cookies" like Collin Powell and Barack Obama!!!!! Not to talk of 2-faced fake reverands like Al Sharpton and the mouth-twitching slimy reverend Jesse Jackson.

RIP---MLK.---Your legacy lives on. No "Black Man or Woman" has died for what he or she believed since you departed this world. You made the ultimate sacrifice for the black race in Northern America.

What an "honorable civil disobedient" servant of the black people.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by EloSela(f): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2007
Chxta:

The man is an American thing. I can't link him with us here in Naija,

I agree! I once had an African American tell me that Black people all over the world had benefited from the fight undertaken by MLK and Malcom X and I thought that was BS. We in Africa had a much longer tougher stronger struggle with the white man, getting our countries away from the control of the colonists etc than they ever had in America. It is a shame that our media doesn't uplift our heroes more. While I appreciate the works of people like MLK and Malcolm X their struggle was for Black people in America and not all Black people.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by almondjoy(f): 11:03am On Dec 26, 2007
Chxta:

The man is an American thing. I can't link him with us here in Naija,

But of course! It can never be linked with Nigeria and Nigerians because there is no concept of "sacrifice" for the betterment of the whole. While the lives of Blacks collectively continue to improve in North America, the ones in "Africa" continue to head "south" to decadent oblivion.

Go figure! Make una siddon there they loot!!!
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by mazaje(m): 11:06am On Dec 26, 2007
almondjoy:

Gone are the days when men were men.  Now we have "oreo cookies" like Collin Powell and Barack Obama!!!!! Not to talk of 2-faced fake reverands like Al Sharpton and the mouth-twitching slimy reverend Jesse Jackson.

RIP---MLK.---Your legacy lives on. No "Black Man or Woman" has died for what he or she believed since you departed this world. You made the ultimate sacrifice for the black race in Northern America.

What is this suppose to mean? stop insinuating things  you have little or no knowledge about.  MLK was a great man that had a DREAM.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by mazaje(m): 11:08am On Dec 26, 2007
While the lives of Blacks collectively continue to improve in North America, the ones in "Africa" continue to head "south" to decadent oblivion.

This statement is false
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by almondjoy(f): 11:11am On Dec 26, 2007
mazaje:

What is this suppose to mean? stop insinuating things you have little or no knowledge about. MLK was a great man that had a DREAM.

Please go back and read my post and you will see that I agreed with you. Let the XMAS booze fade abeg! kiss

mazaje:

This statement is false

Hmm! There is always comfort in "denial"! Hope you never feel the pangs of "reality bites"!!!! kiss
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by naijaking1: 1:24pm On Dec 26, 2007
almondjoy:

Gone are the days when men were men. Now we have "oreo cookies" like Collin Powell and Barack Obama!!!!! Not to talk of 2-faced fake reverands like Al Sharpton and the mouth-twitching slimy reverend Jesse Jackson.

Almondjoy, what are you trying to do, get me started on Cyprian Ekwensi's Passport of Mallam Ilyia?" I was born in those days when men were men, and women were won by those who deserved them, my train---------- ?

MLK's work globally enhanced every person with dark skin, even Indians.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Dec 26, 2007
I personally do not believe we in Africa, especially in Nigeria, have, at any time in our history, had to deal with the same sort of struggle blacks in America had so I really do not see how trying to make his talk a global thing is going to help anyone. Some areas in Africa have had it really bad at some point in history but generally, the white on black struggle has not really been the story of africa for the most part.

If we really look at things the way they actually were and are, we in africa have had to struggle amongst our ownselves longer than we have under the white man and we still, to this day, continue to struggle for power with other blacks. What MLK did in America but I doubt he would have approached things the same had he been in Africa fighting for Africa's rights. Infact, I would say that he would have had a tougher time with his fellow Africans had he been an african.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by almondjoy(f): 6:29am On Dec 27, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I personally do not believe we in Africa, especially in Nigeria, have, at any time in our history, had to deal with the same sort of struggle blacks in America had so I really do not see how trying to make his talk a global thing is going to help anyone. Some areas in Africa have had it really bad at some point in history but generally, the white on black struggle has not really been the story of africa for the most part.

If we really look at things the way they actually were and are, we in africa have had to struggle amongst our ownselves longer than we have under the white man and we still, to this day, continue to struggle for power with other blacks. What MLK did in America but I doubt he would have approached things the same had he been in Africa fighting for Africa's rights. Infact, I would say that he would have had a tougher time with his fellow Africans had he been an african.

Well said! 

Black inside Africa is different from Black outside Africa oh!

I think I will take my chances and remain one outside Africa joining those with the slightest possiblity of "emancipation from mental slavery"!

naijaking1:

Almondjoy, what are you trying to do, get me started on Cyprian Ekwensi's Passport of Mallam Ilyia?" I was born in those days when men were men, and women were won by those who deserved them, my train---------- ?

MLK's work globally enhanced every person with dark skin, even Indians.

@naijaking--yes that was a good literary piece.  Gosh are you that old? tongue

Please how did MLK's work globally enhance "EVERY" dark complexioned person around the world.  Does it look like Blacks in Africa are ENHANCED? undecided
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by naijaking1: 3:54pm On Dec 27, 2007
almondjoy:

@naijaking--yes that was a good literary piece. Gosh are you that old? tongue

Please how did MLK's work globally enhance "EVERY" dark complexioned person around the world. Does it look like Blacks in Africa are ENHANCED? undecided

You never know the value of books until much later, Oh yeah, I'm real old, as old as Ekwensi himself, with books!!!!!

MLK definitely enhanced every black person globally, but his dream said nothing about black on black discrimination(which is more acute than white on black discrimination).

After MLK, people became ashamed to be called a racist, before, I understood that was never the case.

There are many other instances.

Definitely history will reward MLK, Nkurumah, Nasser, Mohammed Ali, and Mandela for uplifting Africa and the black man globally, unfortunately history also has more people like Mobutu, Papa Doc, IBB who tended to pull us back 4 steps for every 2 steps forward.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by davidif: 4:20pm On Dec 27, 2007
To be honest lets call a spade a spade. Most people in Africa have never heard of him.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by naijaking1: 10:57pm On Dec 27, 2007
davidif:

To be honest lets call a spade a spade. Most people in Africa have never heard of him.

The fact that many people in Africa may not be educated enough to understand the laws of gravity, doesn't mean that the law does not effect them.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by almondjoy(f): 10:16am On Dec 28, 2007
davidif:

he he he he he! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Just tickled to death! grin

naijaking1:

The fact that many people in Africa may not be educated enough to understand the laws of gravity, doesn't mean that the law does not effect them.

All na juju!  If you can't explain it --- I say na juju and witchcraft!   cheesy  I love your "positiveness"!  But can you add a just a teaspoon of reality to that cup! kiss
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by ndubest(m): 1:17pm On Dec 28, 2007
the freedom that the blackman enjoys today is as a result of "THE DREAM"

I wish more blacks will have the courage and will power to dream like him
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Horus(m): 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2007
Martin Luther King "I have a dream"

Video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Dec 28, 2007
ndubest:

the freedom that the blackman enjoys today is as a result of "THE DREAM"

I wish more blacks will have the courage and will power to dream like him

Ofcourse most all blacks have dreams, even Nigerians. Some have dreams to become politicians and make away with as much as the can of the national cake. Some have dreams of living in mediocrity for as long as they can blame others for their situation. I do not think Martin Luther really invented anything new. I mean what he did was try to move people from all backgrounds to address the issue on the ground in America at that time. We in Africa have very different issues to deal with, similar in some ways but different.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by davidif: 4:00am On Dec 29, 2007

@naijaking
Look my good friend, here in naija, we have had much much bigger problems to worry about than our cousins across the ocean, we have civil wars, suppressive millitary regimes, famines, colonization (economic exploitation) and trust me, as i am sorry to say, but the last thing on our minds were Jim Crow laws.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by EloSela(f): 9:58am On Dec 29, 2007
davidif:

@naijaking
Look my good friend, here in naija, we have had much much bigger problems to worry about than our cousins across the ocean, we have civil wars, suppressive millitary regimes, famines, colonization (economic exploitation) and trust me, as i am sorry to say, but the last thing on our minds were Jim Crow laws.

Na soO! As I said previously, appreciating MLK for what he did for Blacks in America is good but to say the man's work resonated with us in Africa is foolish. To me it speaks volumes of the desperation of some Africans trying to align themselves with Black Americans when the reality is that some Black Americans can't stand Africans at the best of times (Another thread grin) Did MLK even take the time to visit Africa like Malcom X did?
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by naijaking1: 8:29pm On Dec 29, 2007
davidif:

@naijaking

Do you know how much the so-called naija problems are direct consequences of racism? Supporting a tyrant like Abacha or IBB to mess with naija over the years maybe a form of non-interferrence racism, I saw that with Haiti and Kosovo.

Economic exploitation speaks for itself my brother.

MLK was not just a black American phenomena, granted that many African-Americans don't care about Africa and Africans.

The banks are being taken to task for have higher interest rates for blacks, not just black American, the chemical companies like Pfizer are suddenly learning that it's not ok to test dangerous chemical on black Africans, the list goes on.

The whole 'dream concept' is about ideas not about personality, it started with Ghandi, then MLK.

I recommend a detailed understanding, before a quick judgement is made about the effect or lack thereof on Africa.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by davidif: 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2007
Do you know how much the so-called naija problems are direct consequences of racism? Supporting a tyrant like Abacha or IBB to mess with naija over the years maybe a form of non-interferrence racism, I saw that with Haiti and Kosovo.

@Naijaking
Oh please, here come the conspiracy theorists, i am tired of hearing the same ol' America supported Abacha and IBB nonsense, our continent is in shambles because of us (not that the europeans are entirely faultless). Don't come here and start making excuses that the white man did this or that.
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Dec 30, 2007
davidif:

@Naijaking
Oh please, here come the conspiracy theorists, i am tired of hearing the same ol' America supported Abacha and IBB nonsense, our continent is in shambles because of us (not that the europeans are entirely faultless). Don't come here and start making excuses that the white man did this or that.

PHEW!!!!
Re: The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr by naijaking1: 3:39am On Dec 31, 2007
davidif:

@Naijaking

You show lack of understanding of basic World and regional history.
People who have no regard for history tend to forget where they are and where they are going.

None of us is probably old enough to appreciate segregation as it was written into American and Western culture before MLK, but we could and should read up on it.

This was a law that prevented Kwame Nkrumah from being served in a resturant because "he had entered from the front door and was not waiting by the window with other negros"

Even Zik could not tolerate the sharply segregated south, and ended up at Lincoln University, PA.

If you stay in the US today, and you could line up for service in a resturant, post office, airport, schools, etc without paying due respect to the people who fought for those 'rights', then you're a poor student of history, because before MLK, your dumb ass would have been waiting in the "Colored line" and using "colored toilets"

The same culture of segregation and apartheid pervaded most Western cultures from UK/ Australia(bye the way the Australian indigines could not thank MLK enough) France/Italy, etc.

In naija, do you remember the European quarters, the GRAs? Or were you too young or too stupid to understand it? Do you know how many Nigerians were arrested for 'loittering' around the European quaters of PH in the 1950/60?

Same arrrests were made in Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, etc, just because black people were found "unauthorised" around European quarters in their country.

If your imagination is too poor, maybe you can't just imagine how segregation worked, but it did.

From Ghana to Kenya, white kids got a slap on the wrist for killing a black person or an indigene, sometimes 'accidentally', but it was from the idea that a black man's life is worth 3/5 of a whiteman's life in Jim Crow's law.

If you continue to remain ignorant of basic history, maybe your life ought to be worth 3/5 or even less.

(1) (Reply)

Gbenga Obasanjo And Kalu: What's The Relationship Between Them? / Governor On Trial For Owning 172 Houses / Many Burnt To Death In Nigeria As Tanker Catches Fire In Kutugal, Kaduna State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.